Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Upcoming Pentagon Report to Congress on US Military UFO/UAP Encounters

Thu May 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Strange to suddenly see media taking this topic usually reserved for sci-fi TV seriously.

For years I have been troubled by the fact several people in aviation have told me they have seen unusual things but felt peer/career pressure not to say anything. Thanks to retired DoD leakers and a few intrepid USN pilots, perhaps those winds are finally shifting. A great researcher at NASA Ames - Dr. Haines - compiled detailed reports of many years’ worth confidential airline and military observations, but it didn’t gain traction with scientists despite his human factors credentials. I think even if only 4-5% of reports truly have no apparent explanation, that behooves serious scientific inquiry instead of writing off professionals as loons. They should not be lumped in with farmboy hoaxsters taking photos of coins hung from wire.

Will the Senate actually receive details from the DoD this time? Or will it just be a report saying ‘in some of these reports, we don’t know what the objects are. We are fairly sure they are not foreign tech due to their performance, but cannot speculate beyond that.’

”For many years, our aviators didn’t report these incursions because of the stigma attached to previous terminology and theories about what may or may not be in those videos,” navy spokesperson Joe Gradisher told CNN in 2019. “Those incursions present a safety hazard to the safe flight of our aviators and security of our operations.”

The Canadian article here is excellent in balance and detail:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7863024/ufo- ... nia-beach/

More on the upcoming report:

https://www.space.com/ufo-report-milita ... next-month
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ER757

Re: Upcoming Pentagon Report to Congress on US Military UFO/UAP Encounters

Thu May 20, 2021 7:26 pm

Saw 60 Minutes segment on this last Sunday. Don't what this stuff was that was being filmed and tracked by the USN, but it was certainly interesting. I would love to hear that it was little green men from planet Zarrkon 3, but highly unlikely. Wonder if we'll ever truly know what caused these sightings. Most likely secret tech by our own or foreign military - possibly holographic in nature to indicate false returns on cameras and radar? Just a WAG on my part

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 12:56 am

ER757 wrote:
Saw 60 Minutes segment on this last Sunday. Don't what this stuff was that was being filmed and tracked by the USN, but it was certainly interesting. I would love to hear that it was little green men from planet Zarrkon 3, but highly unlikely. Wonder if we'll ever truly know what caused these sightings. Most likely secret tech by our own or foreign military - possibly holographic in nature to indicate false returns on cameras and radar? Just a WAG on my part

To my knowledge, there is plasma filament tech that could theoretically project an infrared signature to spoof missiles with. But that’s not at all what the USN crew described - especially the part about covering 60 miles’ distance instantaneously. Is it likely we or adversaries have produced a supermaterial that can withstand thousands of Gs? By my calculation, that speed is around 216K mph, which would give you an acceleration of 9800+ Gs.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Fri May 21, 2021 2:50 am

The media no longer have daily unhinged tweets to report so they gotta report something!

With all the space out there and all the stars and planets orbiting them, of course there are going to be craft we know nothing about flying about. I am still of the opinion that there are life forms out there that are not carbon based and evolved faster than life here did. There are so many possibilities, why shut my mind off to any?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

santi319

Fri May 21, 2021 6:03 am

seb146 wrote:
The media no longer have daily unhinged tweets to report so they gotta report something!

With all the space out there and all the stars and planets orbiting them, of course there are going to be craft we know nothing about flying about. I am still of the opinion that there are life forms out there that are not carbon based and evolved faster than life here did. There are so many possibilities, why shut my mind off to any?

Exactly, to think we are the only developed species in the Universe is hilarious. Humans are one of the dumbest “thinking beings” out there. To the rest of the Universe we are nothing, like being in the Arizona desert and passing by an anthill, theyre just ants doing their own thing. But to themselves they are the center of the universe. Its as simple as that. We are the anthill in the middle of a massive desert (not even).

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 6:23 am

santi319 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Exactly, to think we are the only developed species in the Universe is hilarious. Humans are one of the dumbest “thinking beings” out there. To the rest of the Universe we are nothing, like being in the Arizona desert and passing by an anthill, theyre just ants doing their own thing. But to themselves they are the center of the universe. Its as simple as that. We are the anthill in the middle of a massive desert (not even).

There's certainly truth to that - but it's also just basically scientifically disingenuous to dismiss possibilities out of hand. Our curiosities born of imagination have led to many wondrous discoveries. We don't know what the source of these unexplained cases is, that's certain. But we also don't know what they *aren't* either. Merely calling them BS, mental illness, or some kind of psyop is anything but dispositive.

Jalap

Fri May 21, 2021 8:01 am

ER757 wrote:
I would love to hear that it was little green men from planet Zarrkon 3, but highly unlikely.

Indeed, everybody knows Zarrkon 3 has a very annoying climate and the population is mostly blue.

Sightings like these always are a game of elimination. The one thing that's quite impossible to truely eliminate is extraterrestrial origin. Whatever it is, it is interesting. Yet for some reason it is taboo to get some decent research done. Just not excluding the ET options seems enough to denounce scientists who decide to dig into it.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Jalap wrote:
ER757 wrote:
I would love to hear that it was little green men from planet Zarrkon 3, but highly unlikely.

Indeed, everybody knows Zarrkon 3 has a very annoying climate and the population is mostly blue.

Sightings like these always are a game of elimination. The one thing that's quite impossible to truely eliminate is extraterrestrial origin. Whatever it is, it is interesting. Yet for some reason it is taboo to get some decent research done. Just not excluding the ET options seems enough to denounce scientists who decide to dig into it.

It's taboo because of the pop culture influences and zany characters that have sometimes accompanied the field (just think of Ancient Aliens's Hair Guy or Jim Marrs). That said there is a healthy amount of knee-jerk skepticism that claims to be scientific and isn't.

Saagar Enjeti had a great take yesterday on Rising about why this is very likely NOT to be a Pentagon psy-op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1qzZ5lr_8I

ER757

Fri May 21, 2021 4:24 pm

seb146 wrote:

I have little doubt that there are other civilizations "out there" and probably ones more advanced than we humans. I just have a hard time imagining that in the vastness of space and time, they'd find and want to visit our little blue marble, even if thy have developed technology that would make interstellar travel possible. We are not even a tiny speck on a windshield from dozens or hundreds of light-years away

casinterest

Fri May 21, 2021 8:20 pm

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I have little doubt that there are other civilizations "out there" and probably ones more advanced than we humans. I just have a hard time imagining that in the vastness of space and time, they'd find and want to visit our little blue marble, even if thy have developed technology that would make interstellar travel possible. We are not even a tiny speck on a windshield from dozens or hundreds of light-years away

I always look at it this way. in 4.6 Billion years, we have only been flying for a little over a century, and are just now really starting to stretch the model for spaceflight. Imagine a civilization that is 50 million years ahead of us.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

afcjets

Sat May 22, 2021 1:56 am

You guys can all relax, Tucker Carlson has been reporting on it for years so clearly it's all a conspiracy theory. Nothing to see here.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2021 2:13 am

afcjets wrote:
You guys can all relax, Tucker Carlson has been reporting on it for years so clearly it's all a conspiracy theory. Nothing to see here.

So has George Knapp of KLAS fame, but unlike Carlson, he actually disavows people and information he has once reported on when they turn out to be frauds. The difference between them is being in it for the $$$.

seb146

Sat May 22, 2021 2:27 am

casinterest wrote:
ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I always look at it this way. in 4.6 Billion years, we have only been flying for a little over a century, and are just now really starting to stretch the model for spaceflight. Imagine a civilization that is 50 million years ahead of us.

Whether the universe is constantly expanding or collapsing back on itself, there are areas that have been around much longer than our rock. How can anyone confidently say that we are the only ones out here when we know other stars are older than ours?

This is why I am sad I can not understand calculus and quantum theories....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2021 2:34 am

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Whether the universe is constantly expanding or collapsing back on itself, there are areas that have been around much longer than our rock. How can anyone confidently say that we are the only ones out here when we know other stars are older than ours?

This is why I am sad I can not understand calculus and quantum theories....

One does not need to understand higher math to grasp concepts in quantum physics. Think of it like building a house - you can understand how the walls and roof are supported without knowing the precise calculations for load distribution. We are still in our infancy in terms of understanding the quantum realm. If there are civilizations well beyond us, it's possible they may understand use of gravitational and EM fields in ways that make Newtonian considerations like physical distance and velocity irrelevant - perhaps even time.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2021 2:37 am

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

We don't even know who/what we're talking about - so it's completely illogical to make assumptions about their motivations or activities. :D

alfa164

Sat May 22, 2021 3:34 am

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

So has George Knapp of KLAS fame, but unlike Carlson, he actually disavows people and information he has once reported on when they turn out to be frauds. The difference between them is being in it for the $$$.

I suspect Tucker Carlson is one of the frauds Knapp that mentions...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

BC77008

Sun May 23, 2021 11:55 pm

Sigh.... totally underwhelming. Nothing but plain Eurowhite liveries on those UFO's.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2021 12:55 am

BC77008 wrote:
Sigh.... totally underwhelming. Nothing but plain Eurowhite liveries on those UFO's.

That’s only on some :lol: There’s a distinct lack of flair with the all-blacks and greys.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun May 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Interesting interview between up and coming UFO skeptic Mick West and ex-DoD UAP program manager Luis Elizondo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eozxt_HnPu4&t=1s

lightsaber

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:21 pm

Jalap wrote:
ER757 wrote:

The Azgaurd want to remain out if sight.

Seriously, where are they? Ok, I absolutely love Fermi paradox videos on YouTube.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

pune

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Jalap wrote:
ER757 wrote:

It's taboo because of the pop culture influences and zany characters that have sometimes accompanied the field (just think of Ancient Aliens's Hair Guy or Jim Marrs). That said there is a healthy amount of knee-jerk skepticism that claims to be scientific and isn't.

Saagar Enjeti had a great take yesterday on Rising about why this is very likely NOT to be a Pentagon psy-op:

Can you link to the new york times article that has been told in that segment, thank you.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 am

pune wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Jalap wrote:

Can you link to the new york times article that has been told in that segment, thank you.

I believe that's this one: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/p ... -reid.html

Also here is an interesting presentation from Elizondo on his program management activities at DoD studying UAP and what some of the findings indicate. He suggests as much as his security clearance allows that the tech is exotic and is unlikely to be from US adversaries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmCKgU_iHA

pune

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:05 am

Aaron747 wrote:
pune wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I believe that's this one: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/p ... -reid.html

Also here is an interesting presentation from Elizondo on his program management activities at DoD studying UAP and what some of the findings indicate. He suggests as much as his security clearance allows that the tech is exotic and is unlikely to be from US adversaries:

Can you share the screenshot as from where I am, it is behind a paywall, thank you.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:07 am

pune wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
pune wrote:

Can you share the screenshot as from where I am, it is behind a paywall, thank you.

Screenshotting such materials and then sharing them is a violation of copyright - why would you request that?

tommy1808

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:49 pm

ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If you have the tech to fly interstellar, putting large telescopes in space and check all population 1 stars for planets with biosignatures would be a piece of cake.
Anyone that could come here would not have any trouble to find us.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

DocLightning

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:58 pm

I'm going to predict that the results will be very disappointing.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PixelPilot

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:41 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
ER757 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If you have the tech to fly interstellar, putting large telescopes in space and check all population 1 stars for planets with biosignatures would be a piece of cake.

Best regards
Thomas

Maybe they are already here. If your brain is millions of years behind in evolution you simply wouldn't know.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I'm going to predict that the results will be very disappointing.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Too many are definitely making too much of what’ll come out. But a recognition that there is a bona fide mystery to solve and confirmation exotic tech is real will at least get better research going and reduce stigmas for witnesses and scientists.

pune

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:10 am

Aaron747 wrote:
pune wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Screenshotting such materials and then sharing them is a violation of copyright - why would you request that?

ok, then share with me the synopsis, even that would do.

pune

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:32 am

Unanswered questions have always been there. For e.g. even today scientists do not know what that 'wow signal' was all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtb5TRa09yw

And if memory serves right, there was some signal which was also came to be known and the source was supposed to be a planet/comet or whatever and when they put all the telescopes on it, it was not there. (this was more recent, like in last 5 years or less)

I am sure, somebody knows more than me about that particular one. I am just not remembering it fully.

Found it - just took time -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecarte ... io-signal/

Even it for argument sake, we did get some 'alien signal' our best starship today can do 6 months to Mars so going to Alpha Centauri or some other galaxy is going to take a long long while.

From what I remember on Kardashev Scale we are at the bottomest rung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_Scale

So we can speculate all we want, but to achieve anything in reality is going to take a while. Till then, the only hope is somehow we are able to get to the bottom of the whole Bermuda Triangle and other such places which have their own mysteries. There is also Area 51 and we don't know whether these gentleman had been able to get into a good relationship with them. Some things just don't go away :)

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:57 am

pune wrote:
Unanswered questions have always been there. For e.g. even today scientists do not know what that 'wow signal' was all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtb5TRa09yw

And if memory serves right, there was some signal which was also came to be known and the source was supposed to be a planet/comet or whatever and when they put all the telescopes on it, it was not there. (this was more recent, like in last 5 years or less)

I am sure, somebody knows more than me about that particular one. I am just not remembering it fully.

Found it - just took time -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecarte ... io-signal/

Even it for argument sake, we did get some 'alien signal' our best starship today can do 6 months to Mars so going to Alpha Centauri or some other galaxy is going to take a long long while.

From what I remember on Kardashev Scale we are at the bottomest rung.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_Scale

So we can speculate all we want, but to achieve anything in reality is going to take a while. Till then, the only hope is somehow we are able to get to the bottom of the whole Bermuda Triangle and other such places which have their own mysteries. There is also Area 51 and we don't know whether these gentleman had been able to get into a good relationship with them. Some things just don't go away :)

Using the Sagan/Tyson time scale analogy from ‘Cosmos’, humans have only been relevant for a couple hours on Dec 31st if Earth’s history is analogized to one calendar year. Our technological progress has occurred within the final few minutes of those hours.

We have no idea what’s actually possible out there.

pune

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:16 am

This I know and understand. The problem as I see it is UFO sightings have been for millenia. Going back to Egypt and even back more.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/ufo

The problem is which of these are 'true sightings' and which are not cannot be known one way or the other. Even radar and radio waves is just about a century old or even less.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_wave

So all in all, we are still babies as you pointed out.

tommy1808

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:41 am

PixelPilot wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

Maybe they are already here. If your brain is millions of years behind in evolution you simply wouldn't know.

Yup, they might be. That would be very neat.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

ER757

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:31 pm

Well Doc was right - disappointing report
https://apnews.com/article/us-news-ap-t ... c6a2d22e5f
There's no evidence it's aliens, but we can't rule it out - way to cover all your bases guys. Didn't need a report for that.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:02 pm

ER757 wrote:
There's no evidence it's aliens, but we can't rule it out - way to cover all your bases guys. Didn't need a report for that.

That part is unsurprising. Still will need to see what the report says about performance characteristics. If it’s anything like ex-DoD officials have indicated, it likely rules out foreign adversaries as well. Materials science just isn’t there yet.

casinterest

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:05 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

That part is unsurprising. Still will need to see what the report says about performance characteristics. If it’s anything like ex-DoD officials have indicated, it likely rules out foreign adversaries as well. Materials science just isn’t there yet.

We know that we do not know, but we do know we need to learn more about what we don't know. People make careers out of this kind of stuff. :)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

We know that we do not know, but we do know we need to learn more about what we don't know. People make careers out of this kind of stuff. :)

:lol: Aint that the truth? I’m happy to get whatever nuggets of data. Just very exciting to think anyone anywhere built stuff that can use all mediums and maneuver at thousands of Gs and not come apart.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 pm

Given that evolution is going to work somewhat the same for any other planet others have posited that so called intelligent life likely will not survive the move into a highly technical culture. Cultural wisdom does not seem to evolve for fairly obvious reasons. Then again maybe human culture will survive and advance for another 100 or 200 years. I doubt it. UFOs, hugely more likely they will be unidentifiable natural phenomena than aliens or other earth based cultures.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Pretty sharp CNN interview here last night with Elizondo:

https://youtu.be/ezzRaSK8kYk?t=1706

casinterest

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:32 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

:lol: Aint that the truth? I’m happy to get whatever nuggets of data. Just very exciting to think anyone anywhere built stuff that can use all mediums and maneuver at thousands of Gs and not come apart.

Someday it will happen, but i always remember that one of the last episodes of Star Trek TNG. The one where they found out that romulans, humans, kingons and a host of other species were all the result of a race that lived hundreds of millions of years prior and had seeded the oceans, after they found out they were alone. /....... found it. The Chase

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase ... Generation)

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 am

Another banger of an interview with Elizondo. This guy is turning out to be not only a great patriot, but a scientific pacesetter of sorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcH5nuqa-0w

GDB

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:59 pm

I don't buy into this idea that anything, in particular airborne, that cannot be quickly explained just for many people has to be 'aliens'.
Recently, Professor Brian Cox has been reviewing the programmes on astronomy, physics, science in general, for the BBC in the past decade, (including biology and wildlife, presumably to replace David Attenborough when he finally leaves us as their go to guy).

Cox did a series a few years ago, one of which did in detail with the potential for life elsewhere, while of course for him, like all scientifically literate or just plain curious people it would be to coin his much used phrase 'beautiful' to find proof of this, or maybe not so much if they were more advanced.

What do I think? I agree with Professor Brian Cox, which those who really want to project all kinds of bad sci fi stuff about these won't like.

In the 1940's, two scientists involved with the Manhattan Project to build the bomb tackled this, one asked a question, the other a potential means of exploration beyond the Solar System without all this breaking the laws of physics faster than light Star Trek style stuff.

The first, Enrico Fermi asked of aliens, when considering the then known age of the universe, 'where are they?'
The second John Von Neumann, proposed machines that could, by using resources such as asteroids, planets even, self replicate and be controlled by artificial intelligence, no need for high, impossible speeds, even going at current rates such machines could colonise our Galaxy in around a million years.
Self replicating machines and A.I, sounds a lot like we are close to both, 3D printing (even planned for NASA's return to the Moon) and of course we hear a lot about A.I. now.

So given the age of our Galaxy, our Solar System (around 4 billion years), the Earth, boiling this down to the time we have been around, there has still been ample time for Von Neumann like machines to be detected or just leave a trace. They haven't.

Over 60 years of listening for signals, nothing.
One in 1977 remains unsolved, the 'wow' signal but as Cox says, any scientific experiment or finding to be proved, has to be repeated.

Advanced, intelligent life on Earth arose as we have a stable star, a big Moon keeping the Earth's orbit and axis stable, big Gas and Gravity giants like Jupiter sucking up a lot of comets and other leftovers that could hit us, if that asteroid 65 million years ago missed and not wiped out the Dinosaurs.
Recently it is also been found that our Solar System went through huge changes in where the planets were to where they are now, which in part explains why many of the 1000's of extra Solar planets found in the past 25 years are in Solar Systems very different to ours, our system developing the way it has is it seems, rare.

Frank Drake, who created his equation, made the point when meeting Cox that when listening for signals we should be aware that it's a case of blink and you'll miss it, like one of his Orchids that only flowers one day in a year.
Even so, it is hard to argue with Cox's conclusion that intelligent, maybe space exploring life is very rare, it's likely primitive life arose for a time on Mars, it might well exist in oceans under some of Jupiter and Saturn's moons, but a few cells replicating do not build UFOs!

So the conclusion, logically, is that while such civilizations have had plenty of time to develop, many times over, the lack of any evidence both material or a signal, points to a conclusion, that they don't last, don't get to build those machines, or send out massively more powerful signals than we can do.
We are likely to be the only intelligent species into space exploration (which also means with radio telescopes) in our galaxy at this moment in time. And logically, we won't last to do these things either.

Where does this leave these 'UFO's?
I think it is no coincidence that UFO's in our culture came in fiction, mainly in the US in the 1930's onwards in both films and popular fiction, including comics, then not long after came both here on Earth, the jet and rocket age.
Most UFO's are generally in areas known to be historically where advanced/unusual air vehicles are tested.

Add in the space age, one example at the very start, all those people who 'saw' Sputnik 1 in 1957, did not see the 23 inch metal ball, they saw the much bigger and more reflective final stage of the booster rocket that put it into orbit.
Plenty of them and other things up there since then, most in the end decaying and re-entering then burning up, which has been seen in daytime too.

No one has really been abducted and had a probe stuck up their arse, at least by Aliens.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:12 pm

GDB wrote:
So the conclusion, logically, is that while such civilizations have had plenty of time to develop, many times over, the lack of any evidence both material or a signal, points to a conclusion, that they don't last, don't get to build those machines, or send out massively more powerful signals than we can do.
We are likely to be the only intelligent species into space exploration (which also means with radio telescopes) in our galaxy at this moment in time. And logically, we won't last to do these things either.

There is as much evidence for the above claim as there is confirmation that currently observed UAP are/are not of extraterrestrial origin: i.e. none

Considering that humans came into being at 11:48 PM on December 31st of the metaphorical one-year cosmic calendar, proclaiming 'we are likely to be the only intelligent species into space exploration' is pretty arrogant from where we're sitting. We are still at the very dawn of understanding the quantum realm, the fabric of our universe, etc. It may also be that if other civilizations exist, their modes of operation and communication differ significantly enough from ours that we cannot perceive them with our sensory inputs, either natural or mechanical.

GDB

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:23 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GDB wrote:

There is as much evidence for the above claim as there is confirmation that currently observed UAP are/are not of extraterrestrial origin: i.e. none

Considering that humans came into being at 11:48 PM on December 31st of the metaphorical one-year cosmic calendar, proclaiming 'we are likely to be the only intelligent species into space exploration' is pretty arrogant from where we're sitting. We are still at the very dawn of understanding the quantum realm, the fabric of our universe, etc. It may also be that if other civilizations exist, their modes of operation and communication differ significantly enough from ours that we cannot perceive them with our sensory inputs, either natural or mechanical.

You might be right that IF another intelligence did go on to master such hyper exotic ideas, would we even be aware of them?
Hard to see them then resorting to mechanical objects, such as what we call 'UFO's.
Even so, it's a lot easier, possible and on the cusp of our own capabilities to go by the Von Neumann method, plenty of times for something like them to traverse our Galaxy, many times over.

The whole 'UFO' idea that is always by many, linked to assumptions about aliens, in a way that seems linked entirely to popular culture, not science.
One example that stands out, after the movie 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind', there was this wave of people claiming to have encountered 'aliens' that look like the ones briefly shown near the end of that film.
Add in 'Roswell', which just happened to be an area that was secretive for very down to Earth reasons.

There is that poster of an obviously faked flying saucer, the 'I Want To Believe' one, which to me sums up that mindset.
The most famous 'encounter' in the UK in 1980 just happened to be in a part of the country where back then there was a lot of military airbases, RAF and USAFE.
But no 'encounters' or sightings above any major population centers.

After that 1977 'Wow' signal, that part of the sky was searched a lot, I don't doubt that SETI and others still check it out, (not to mock SETI et al, good luck to them, neither was it silly to put those plates and that disc on Pioneers 10, 11 and the Voyagers respectively, few if any involved ever thought they would be found but why not mark man's first vehicles to leave the Solar System?)
44 years is nothing of course when searching, however caution is needed here, as what happened when Pulsars were discovered, even if those involved were serious scientists, from wiki;
The first pulsar was observed on November 28, 1967, by Jocelyn Bell Burnell and Antony Hewish.[4][5][6] They observed pulses separated by approximately 1.33 seconds that originated from the same location in the sky, and kept to sidereal time. In looking for explanations for the pulses, the short period of the pulses eliminated most astrophysical sources of radiation, such as stars, and since the pulses followed sidereal time, it could not be human-made radio frequency interference.

When observations with another telescope confirmed the emission, it eliminated any sort of instrumental effects. At this point, Bell Burnell said of herself and Hewish that "we did not really believe that we had picked up signals from another civilization, but obviously the idea had crossed our minds and we had no proof that it was an entirely natural radio emission. It is an interesting problem—if one thinks one may have detected life elsewhere in the universe, how does one announce the results responsibly?"[7] Even so, they nicknamed the signal LGM-1, for "little green men" (a playful name for intelligent beings of extraterrestrial origin).
Jocelyn Bell in 1967, the year she discovered the first pulsar.

It was not until a second pulsating source was discovered in a different part of the sky that the "LGM hypothesis" was entirely abandoned.[8] Their pulsar was later dubbed CP 1919, and is now known by a number of designators including PSR B1919+21 and PSR J1921+2153. Although CP 1919 emits in radio wavelengths, pulsars have subsequently been found to emit in visible light, X-ray, and gamma ray wavelengths.[9] The word "pulsar" is a portmanteau of 'pulsating' and 'quasar', and first appeared in print in 1968:

An entirely novel kind of star came to light on Aug. 6 last year and was referred to, by astronomers, as LGM (Little Green Men). Now it is thought to be a novel type between a white dwarf and a neutron [star]. The name Pulsar is likely to be given to it. Dr. A. Hewish told me yesterday: '... I am sure that today every radio telescope is looking at the Pulsars.'[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:14 pm

GDB wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GDB wrote:

You might be right that IF another intelligence did go on to master such hyper exotic ideas, would we even be aware of them?
Hard to see them then resorting to mechanical objects, such as what we call 'UFO's.
Even so, it's a lot easier, possible and on the cusp of our own capabilities to go by the Von Neumann method, plenty of times for something like them to traverse our Galaxy, many times over.

The whole 'UFO' idea that is always by many, linked to assumptions about aliens, in a way that seems linked entirely to popular culture, not science.
One example that stands out, after the movie 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind', there was this wave of people claiming to have encountered 'aliens' that look like the ones briefly shown near the end of that film.
Add in 'Roswell', which just happened to be an area that was secretive for very down to Earth reasons.

There is that poster of an obviously faked flying saucer, the 'I Want To Believe' one, which to me sums up that mindset.
The most famous 'encounter' in the UK in 1980 just happened to be in a part of the country where back then there was a lot of military airbases, RAF and USAFE.
But no 'encounters' or sightings above any major population centers.

After that 1977 'Wow' signal, that part of the sky was searched a lot, I don't doubt that SETI and others still check it out, (not to mock SETI et al, good luck to them, neither was it silly to put those plates and that disc on Pioneers 10, 11 and the Voyagers respectively, few if any involved ever thought they would be found but why not mark man's first vehicles to leave the Solar System?)
44 years is nothing of course when searching, however caution is needed here, as what happened when Pulsars were discovered, even if those involved were serious scientists, from wiki;
The first pulsar was observed on November 28, 1967, by Jocelyn Bell Burnell and Antony Hewish.[4][5][6] They observed pulses separated by approximately 1.33 seconds that originated from the same location in the sky, and kept to sidereal time. In looking for explanations for the pulses, the short period of the pulses eliminated most astrophysical sources of radiation, such as stars, and since the pulses followed sidereal time, it could not be human-made radio frequency interference.

When observations with another telescope confirmed the emission, it eliminated any sort of instrumental effects. At this point, Bell Burnell said of herself and Hewish that "we did not really believe that we had picked up signals from another civilization, but obviously the idea had crossed our minds and we had no proof that it was an entirely natural radio emission. It is an interesting problem—if one thinks one may have detected life elsewhere in the universe, how does one announce the results responsibly?"[7] Even so, they nicknamed the signal LGM-1, for "little green men" (a playful name for intelligent beings of extraterrestrial origin).
Jocelyn Bell in 1967, the year she discovered the first pulsar.

It was not until a second pulsating source was discovered in a different part of the sky that the "LGM hypothesis" was entirely abandoned.[8] Their pulsar was later dubbed CP 1919, and is now known by a number of designators including PSR B1919+21 and PSR J1921+2153. Although CP 1919 emits in radio wavelengths, pulsars have subsequently been found to emit in visible light, X-ray, and gamma ray wavelengths.[9] The word "pulsar" is a portmanteau of 'pulsating' and 'quasar', and first appeared in print in 1968:

An entirely novel kind of star came to light on Aug. 6 last year and was referred to, by astronomers, as LGM (Little Green Men). Now it is thought to be a novel type between a white dwarf and a neutron [star]. The name Pulsar is likely to be given to it. Dr. A. Hewish told me yesterday: '... I am sure that today every radio telescope is looking at the Pulsars.'[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar

I don't really consider the notion of advanced civilizations a 'hyper exotic idea'. Conducting research on gravitational waves, turning human waste into drinkable water, and nearly everything in aerospace would have been considered 'hyper exotic ideas' to most in the 19th century. And then we're not even talking about semiconductors, AI and the like.

As I said, we don't really know enough about the quantum realm to make assumptions about what is going on if there is in fact another intelligent presence here. As much as many hope they would be extraterrestrial, it is just as possible they are interdimensional, which would negate the oft-cited troubles and energy demands of intersteller travel. In some interpretations of Einstein's work, a particular 'tuning' of gravity would make it possible to cross planes of spacetime. To be able to do this, a lifeform would need to perceive 'frequencies' of electron variance and other properties much the same way as birds and marine life perceive electromagnetic fields.

Virtual737

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm

I believe there is almost certainly other intelligent life in the Universe and that there almost certainly wasn't in our Solar System before us.

However, the Universe is unfathomably huge, possibly eternal, the timeline for life so impossibly short, that the chances of one intelligent planetary species meeting another is unfathomably small, yet still possible.

That an advanced alien life form with the capability of being able to travel to our Solar System would even be remotely interested in us is also pretty egocentric. We see ourselves as the most intelligent species that we know of, but compared to others, we might be as interesting as ants and they just passed us by looking for something worth their time and effort.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:28 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
I believe there is almost certainly other intelligent life in the Universe and that there almost certainly wasn't in our Solar System before us.

However, the Universe is unfathomably huge, possibly eternal, the timeline for life so impossibly short, that the chances of one intelligent planetary species meeting another is unfathomably small, yet still possible.

That an advanced alien life form with the capability of being able to travel to our Solar System would even be remotely interested in us is also pretty egocentric. We see ourselves as the most intelligent species that we know of, but compared to others, we might be as interesting as ants and they just passed us by looking for something worth their time and effort.

On the contrary, it may have nothing to do with being egocentric and more to do with curiosity - part and parcel of intelligence of any type as we know it. Here in our world, the researchers among us tirelessly catalogue the most insignificant of species, seeking to understand their overall relevance to the ecosystem and others like them. Ants...ants! They are interesting enough that we have identified more than 10,000 species and devote Ted talks to what we can learn about systems engineering from their behavior.

Virtual737

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:39 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

On the contrary, it may have nothing to do with being egocentric and more to do with curiosity - part and parcel of intelligence of any type as we know it. Here in our world, the researchers among us tirelessly catalogue the most insignificant of species, seeking to understand their overall relevance to the ecosystem and others like them. Ants...ants! They are interesting enough that we have identified more than 10,000 species and devote Ted talks to what we can learn about systems engineering from their behavior.

I do take your point. i guess I feel we humans might be closer to the 10000th species to be examined rather than nearer the front of the queue. ET is currently cataloguing the low hanging fruit and will get to us when there is nothing better to look at.

Also... remember that we are likely the first inhabitants of this Solar System to have had the capacity to make ourselves extinct for just about as long as we've had the ability to search for extra-terrestrial life. Some people counter that we are also the first species to be able to save ourselves from extinction, but Mr Musk hasn't quite gotten us there yet.

So... the window of opportunity for one advanced lifeform to find another is also extremely small. There could be literally trillions of intelligent lifeforms over the history of the Universe, but spread out over so much space and in totally different times that the chances of any of them ever meeting are astronomical (see what I did there?)

Aaron747
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:44 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I do take your point. i guess I feel we humans might be closer to the 10000th species to be examined rather than nearer the front of the queue. ET is currently cataloguing the low hanging fruit and will get to us when there is nothing better to look at.

Also... remember that we are likely the first inhabitants of this Solar System to have had the capacity to make ourselves extinct for just about as long as we've had the ability to search for extra-terrestrial life. Some people counter that we are also the first species to be able to save ourselves from extinction, but Mr Musk hasn't quite gotten us there yet.

So... the window of opportunity for one advanced lifeform to find another is also extremely small. There could be literally trillions of intelligent lifeforms over the history of the Universe, but spread out over so much space and in totally different times that the chances of any of them ever meeting are astronomical (see what I did there?)

I see what you did there ;) But as I noted in a post above, all of that is moot if there are entities that travel via dimensional vectors rather than distance. There's nothing wrong with praising or self-deprecating our possible status as a species in the eyes of others - we are a complex species in complex times, so that's only natural. But in terms of queue, I'd say it's equally possible there's no queue at all, and what is, simply is.

Virtual737

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

I see what you did there ;) But as I noted in a post above, all of that is moot if there are entities that travel via dimensional vectors rather than distance. There's nothing wrong with praising or self-deprecating our possible status as a species in the eyes of others - we are a complex species in complex times, so that's only natural. But in terms of queue, I'd say it's equally possible there's no queue at all, and what is, simply is.

All possible, but even with wormholes / whatever other methods of "travel" we might as yet be unaware of, if the Universe is infinite, or big enough that it might as well be thought of as infinite, then there are an infinite number of wormholes to traverse, all of which have to be travelled an infinite number of times so as not to miss the lifecycle of a species. My current best guess is that it is more likely that intelligent species will never meet, because to narrow down the "search", some kind of information needs to be exchanged that will not travel faster than light, and by the time it is detected, it is too late. Hope that makes sense.

Bringing us back full circle, it is very clear that many people have seen UFOs and just as clear that none of them were of alien origin. IMHO of course.