Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Skyscraper in Shenzhen, China Shakes Mysteriously

Sun May 23, 2021 12:47 am

A 70 story skyscraper in Shenzhen, China shook mysteriously on Tuesday and sent people onto the streets in panic. On Friday, the 1.167 foot tall SEG Plaza was shut down and evacuated and officials investigate what caused the building to shake. Will be interesting to see what caused the building to shake and if any design flaws are found.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1268142

CaptHadley

Re: Skyscraper in Shenzhen, China Shakes Mysteriously

Sun May 23, 2021 1:01 am

Have you ever been in a high rise when it shook? How would you have felt if you'd been in that building when it shook?

Aaron747

Sun May 23, 2021 1:45 am

There are possibly some unusual sounds in that video. My money would be on an element in the structure failing and the loads were being redistributed throughout the structure.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

scottyraven

Sun May 23, 2021 3:57 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Have you ever been in a high rise when it shook? How would you have felt if you'd been in that building when it shook?

i was woken up by a small earthquake in Manila early one morning, it was enough to move the sofa and coffee table across the studio unit...this was on the 28th floor.

i was scared out my mind and great city view or not, i will not stay above the 5th floor nowadays.

Aesma

Sun May 23, 2021 5:57 am

There seems to be some wind so if the design has been done incorrectly it's possible the building and wind entered into resonance.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

par13del

Sun May 23, 2021 1:05 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
A 70 story skyscraper in Shenzhen, China shook mysteriously.....

Unless they have learned to defy the laws of physics, I think we all know it is a structural problem, exactly where in the building has to be identified.
The interesting thing for me is to see how much time and effort is spent trying to save the building, in my opinion, that much sway was not built into the specifications for "normal" use, but my caveat is that I am not a structural engineer but an A.Net keyboard Monday morning professional.

ltbewr

Sun May 23, 2021 3:00 pm

It is possible there is a design or engineering flaw like the Citigroup building in NY City. https://medium.com/an-idea/the-courage- ... 37c1ce2a8b
Also one cannot ignore the possibility that substandard materials were used, inspections not properly done.

phatfarmlines

Sun May 23, 2021 8:50 pm

And the most impressive part, some spectators staying in place looking up at the swaying building.

So in my very limited understanding of skyscraper engineering, modern buildings are designed to sway in winds/earthquakes, and have some dampener that counters the swaying to ensure it doesn't snap like a twig (structural engineers please correct me if this thinking doesn't align).

PlymSpotter

Sun May 23, 2021 11:14 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
There are possibly some unusual sounds in that video. My money would be on an element in the structure failing and the loads were being redistributed throughout the structure.

If the shaking was relatively short then yes, I'd be inclined to consider it being a structural member under tension failing. But, that theory would almost certainly be backed up by internal cosmetic damage in the vicinity of the failure - think ceiling panels and walls buckled as a result of the sudden and violent release of energy.

My suggestion is resonance. Making a skyscraper that has multiple openable windows fully resonance proof is practically impossible - all it takes is the wrong combination of factors and openings to disrupt any dampening installed. This also makes it very difficult to model and replicate, so it wouldn't surprise me if the full details are never known.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...