Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gregpodpl

Re: Belarus intercepts Ryanair flight from ATH to VNO

Mon May 24, 2021 8:50 pm

lightsaber wrote:
A no-fly zone means pushing Belarus further from the West

There is a good opinion published today by the editorial board of Financial Times titled Lukashenko’s air piracy must be punished (paywall)

One of the points is that restricting airspace and blocking flights will affect officials/elite much more, comparing to closing of land crossings.
Maybe it's not the worst idea. Hope EU/UK/US will do something real this time.

sabenapilot

Mon May 24, 2021 8:53 pm

The EU council conclusions of this evening mention the EU will implement asap a total ban on both overflights as well and landings by all airlines from Belarus at EU airports.

johns624

Mon May 24, 2021 10:31 pm

Once again, there aren't any depleted uranium "bombs".

M564038

Mon May 24, 2021 10:48 pm

Fun username !
Make that about a minute from the border, the fighter had probably already turned around.

Spetsnaz55 wrote:
M564038 wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
No.

The Captain of a civilian vessel was being told to divert by the government of the airspace his vessel was in. It was not on him to risk the lives of everyone on board.

He was mere minutes from the border, and knew exactly what was going on, is a little bit of spine and integrity too much to ask?

Mere minutes from the border but still in Belarus airspace. If he had kept going and been shot down, would you praise him for his spine and integrity then?

SurlyBonds

Mon May 24, 2021 10:56 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Perhaps you missed the part about two Belarusian nationals and four Russians getting off the plane before it returned to flight.

Do you think they were just Russian tourists who decided they'd rather see the charming sights of Belarus than stick to their original dream vacation?

There is a huge ethnic Russian community in Vilnius, many of whom have dual passports. And Vilnius is nearer than Minsk to some of the Belarusian population.

I'm upset about this incident as anyone, but I wouldn't automatically assume that the Russian or even Belarusian pax had anything to do with it. Remember the suspicious Iranian pax on MH390.

So, news reports indicate that the Belarussian nationals did indeed leave the plane at MSQ, rather than continue to VNO. That changes my conclusion.

lightsaber

Mon May 24, 2021 11:07 pm

johns624 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

A no-fly zone means pushing Belarus further from the West as it cancels trade deals. Aviation bilaterals are not separate from person movement, business investment, or other trade.
Lightsaber

Does the West have any reasonable hope of influencing Belarus about anything, even with trade? I think about the old "snowball in Hell" saying.

Well, I was wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/eu ... NewsSearch

The European Union has agreed to impose sanctions against Belarus, including banning its airlines from using the air space and airports of the 27-nation bloc, amid fury over the forced diversion of a passenger jet to arrest an opposition journalist.

I cannot blame them. The word game will get nastier.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

lightsaber

Mon May 24, 2021 11:14 pm

gregpodpl wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
A no-fly zone means pushing Belarus further from the West

There is a good opinion published today by the editorial board of Financial Times titled Lukashenko’s air piracy must be punished (paywall)

One of the points is that restricting airspace and blocking flights will affect officials/elite much more, comparing to closing of land crossings.
Maybe it's not the worst idea. Hope EU/UK/US will do something real this time.

My prior post proves I was wrong. Obviously not how I would advocate, but not the worst plan. This will have a response.

But it looks like the next step is to disconnect Belarus from the payment system SWIFT:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN2D51U7

Interesting times.

Lightsaber

MrHMSH

Mon May 24, 2021 11:53 pm

Blerg wrote:

I mentioned those western adventures to merely point out the hypocrisy on here. So many westerners are pointing a finger at Russia and Belarus while completely ignoring the brutalities and horrors committed by their own governments. As for Vlad, I don't think he cares that much about what others think though I think he is entertained by West's powerlessness at the moment. Like I wrote earlier, nothing much will become of this and it will blow over in a week or two.

This is rather pathetic whataboutery. 'Westerners' do not ignore their own brutalities, there are in fact many media outlets and individuals who campaign, protest and write about those brutalities, because, you know, there is a fair degree of freedom of speech. That Western countries have their own issues and crimes is a terrible defence of current events, it's not even a defence at all, it's little more than what trolls would do.

An aircraft has been forced down due to a country's ruling party wanting to take an opponent into custody, that is the issue at hand, and the issue that should be discussed, we should be above 'look, a squirrel!' level debate.

PlymSpotter

Tue May 25, 2021 12:16 am

lightsaber wrote:
Well, I was wrong.

The European Union has agreed to impose sanctions against Belarus, including banning its airlines from using the air space and airports of the 27-nation bloc, amid fury over the forced diversion of a passenger jet to arrest an opposition journalist.

Lightsaber

If these sanctions are actually imposed, along with the similar ones Ukraine has also announced, then it will significantly impact Belavia's operations and their available routes / routings. This is going to really turn up the domestic pressure on Lukashenko's regime. Perhaps and in hand with international pressure and condemnation, some real change will be possible in the coming months.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

lightsaber

Tue May 25, 2021 12:52 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Well, I was wrong.

Lightsaber

If these sanctions are actually imposed, along with the similar ones Ukraine has also announced, then it will significantly impact Belavia's operations and their available routes / routings. This is going to really turn up the domestic pressure on Lukashenko's regime. Perhaps and in hand with international pressure and condemnation, some real change will be possible in the coming months.

Do you have a link on the Ukrane sanctions? I only found news on sanctions at the end of last week against Russian companies.

Lightsaber

gregpodpl

Tue May 25, 2021 12:59 am

PlymSpotter wrote:

I'm afraid it's not going to happen. If Lukashenko will go down Putin will send "advisors" to help establish a new president which will work nicely with Moscow. And as we know EU will not do anything else other than current sanctions against Russia - because it would affect German interests too much. And if US would start to meddle too much it will end up like Ukraine - and US will not do that, they are too busy in other places.
My expectation is: we'll get several months (a year?) of flight restrictions, and some targeted sanctions against Belarusian elites. And flight ban will get removed as some point under the pressure from Austria and Germany.

Edit: sanctions from Ukraine:
"Ukraine, which is not a member of the E.U., also said it would ban flights to and from Belarus."
source

Pellegrine

Tue May 25, 2021 1:11 am

This is very "wow" and all, and the US attempted something like this with Snowden in 2013...only it was a presidential aircraft, not a civilian one. Additionally, the countries involved denied airspace, instead of forcing to land (essentially forcing you to land within a certain perimeter knowing how much fuel you have on board for your filed journey).
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

holczakker

Tue May 25, 2021 7:43 am

Several (10+) Belavia flights are operating at this moment in airspace of Ukraine, Lithuania, Latvia, Romania and Sweden.
Last edited by holczakker on Tue May 25, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tommy1808

Tue May 25, 2021 7:58 am

holczakker wrote:
Several (10+) Belavia flights are operating at this moment in airspace of Ukraine, Lithunaia, Latvia, Romania and Sweden.

The member states have to ban overflights and landing. At the moment only France, Lithuania and Poland have done so. I´d assume the rest will during the day.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Aesma

Tue May 25, 2021 8:13 am

On French TV I saw talks of "since Putin and co don't care about Intl law, we should circumvent it too". An idea was to send a "Mossad style" commando to get the journalist.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

davidjohnson6

Tue May 25, 2021 8:14 am

Any particular reason for 11-2049 USAF Global Hawk to be hovering around Belarus' northern border *and* be visible on FR24 ? Is the visibility routine or is somebody trying to drop a hint ?
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Tue May 25, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sabenapilot

Tue May 25, 2021 8:20 am

Indeed, any more hidden security risks you want to indentify for us, Berg?

Taking a domestic EU flight overflying Belarus was an obvious security risk the passangers took, according to you.
Is flying on Ryanair itself such a risk too?
Wizzair?

Better fly OS or LH then, right? Via VIE or MUC for instance....
Maybe the EU should grand them some funds to set up safe corridors for EU citizens to avoid the risk of overflying rough states like Belarus on their domestic EU travel along the eastern EU border. Far better than flying direct on airlines like ryanair or wizzair, which by your own assesment do pose a very significant security risk to all of their passangers carried indeed. ;)

sabenapilot

Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am

Meanwhile, an increasing number of international airlines are giving suit to the formal demand by the EU Council to avoid making use of the airspace of Belarus:
After British Airways and the LH group on Monday, KL-AF and Finnair announced today that they will no longer cross over Belarus as from now on.
Also, non EU airlines like Singapore Airlines are announcing they will as from now on avoid to make us of this very dangerous and high risk sector, by Blerg's own assessment too...

As we speak, all27 EU national aviation authorities are legislating to ban Belavia entirely from their skies and soil in the coming days as well as several other non EU aviation authorities in Europe..

It's going to be awfully quiet in and over MSK as from now on.
Lukashenko will hear the massive discontent of his own people in the streets even more now, all without the need for a free press and journalists. :stirthepot:

seansasLCY

Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 am

sabenapilot wrote:
Meanwhile, an increasing number of international airlines are giving suit to the formal demand by the EU Council to avoid making use of the airspace of Belarus:
After British Airways and the LH group on Monday, KL-AF and Finnair announced today that they will no longer cross over Belarus as from now on.
Also, non EU airlines like Singapore Airlines are announcing they will as from now on avoid to make us of this very dangerous and high risk sector, by Blerg's own assessment too...

As we speak, all27 EU national aviation authorities are legislating to ban Belavia entirely from their skies and soil in the coming days as well as several other non EU aviation authorities in Europe..

It's going to be awfully quiet in and over MSK as from now on.
Lukashenko will hear the massive discontent of his own people in the streets even more now, all without the need for a free press and journalists. :stirthepot:

I’m pleased that Belavia is being blocked but I don’t think this will make ordinary residents any more angry. They have already been on the streets. Most probably don’t travel abroad much anyway. They are far more concerned with freedom of speech, assembly and the rights to elect their leaders than be detoured on a holiday once a year.

Lukashenko will just use this to prove his point that Europe is against Belarus and the only one they can trust is his friend Russia. It has been discussed before by Belarus and Russia but the end result I see is Belarus basically becoming a province of Russia or being annexed by them.

sabenapilot

Tue May 25, 2021 9:10 am

seansasLCY wrote:
I’m pleased that Belavia is being blocked but I don’t think this will make ordinary residents any more angry. They have already been on the streets. Most probably don’t travel abroad much anyway. They are far more concerned with freedom of speech, assembly and the rights to elect their leaders than be detoured on a holiday once a year.

Of course. I was just using the same hyperbole some have used in this topic to pretend there's nothing to see here...

seansasLCY wrote:
Lukashenko will just use this to prove his point that Europe is against Belarus and the only one they can trust is his friend Russia. It has been discussed before by Belarus and Russia but the end result I see is Belarus basically becoming a province of Russia or being annexed by them.

It makes Lukashenko even more of a vassal than he already was and indeed, it will turn Belarus into the paria state which can not survive on its own even faster than it aleady would; expect that union treaty between Belarus and the Russian Federation to be revived in the coming time indeed... you got to wonder at which point it makes no longer any sense for a dicator to cling onto power: is he ready to become the regional governor of yet another annexed Russian paria territory, like the Crimea is?

Challenger007

Tue May 25, 2021 9:27 am

sabenapilot wrote:
It makes Lukashenko even more of a vassal than he already was and indeed, it will turn Belarus into the paria state which can not survive on its own even faster than it aleady would; expect that union treaty between Belarus and the Russian Federation to be revived in the coming time indeed... you got to wonder at which point it makes no longer any sense for a dicator to cling onto power: is he ready to become the regional governor of yet another annexed Russian paria territory, like the Crimea is?

He may be infantile, but I see no reason to cling to power over people who do not recognize this power. Aren't protests enough to understand that it is impossible to achieve a constructive result by violence?

offloaded

Tue May 25, 2021 9:56 am

Apart from the unfortunate journalist, the rest of the passengers and crew got to go home. The Ryanair captain made the correct decision to land as instructed by Minsk. Any suggestion that he should've made a run for the border is ludicrous. This isn't Smokey and the Bandit, it's real life. Would the fighter pilot have ultimately shot the 737 down? Perhaps not, but if he had been directly ordered to do so and did not, his best option would've been to tuck in behind Ryanair and claim asylum in Vilnius.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

marcelh

Tue May 25, 2021 10:00 am

AWACSooner wrote:
johns624 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

A no-fly zone means pushing Belarus further from the West as it cancels trade deals. Aviation bilaterals are not separate from person movement, business investment, or other trade.
Lightsaber

Does the West have any reasonable hope of influencing Belarus about anything, even with trade? I think about the old "snowball in Hell" saying.

They could always invite Ukraine to join NATO...that'll really piss off Putin and Lukashenko.

Russia won't let it happen. And the NATO has nothing to gain with the Ukraine.

Aaron747

Tue May 25, 2021 11:31 am

offloaded wrote:
Apart from the unfortunate journalist, the rest of the passengers and crew got to go home. The Ryanair captain made the correct decision to land as instructed by Minsk. Any suggestion that he should've made a run for the border is ludicrous. This isn't Smokey and the Bandit, it's real life. Would the fighter pilot have ultimately shot the 737 down? Perhaps not, but if he had been directly ordered to do so and did not, his best option would've been to tuck in behind Ryanair and claim asylum in Vilnius.

That much is certain. That story would have been no less ugly.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

atcsundevil

Tue May 25, 2021 12:37 pm

Stay on topic. Off topic comments will be deleted and users may be warned or banned.

✈️ atcsundevil

incitatus

Tue May 25, 2021 1:37 pm

There is some discussion here of the EU reaction. Imagine the same thing had happened with an American aircraft overflying some less-the-friendly country in Latin America. What would be the American reaction? The EU reaction should be no different.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

johns624

Tue May 25, 2021 1:42 pm

incitatus wrote:
There is some discussion here of the EU reaction. Imagine the same thing had happened with an American aircraft overflying some less-the-friendly country in Latin America. What would be the American reaction? The EU reaction should be no different.
The difference is the EU knows Putin is behind Belarus and they are afraid of Russia, both militarily and for its natural resources.

art

Tue May 25, 2021 2:01 pm

When an aircraft flies through international skies, aircraft have the nationality of the state in which they are registered.

In this case, the Ryanair plane is understood to be registered in Poland to "Ryanair Sun", a subsidiary of the Irish airline. When the plane is flying, regardless of its position in the skies, it remains of Polish nationality.

"To interfere with an aircraft in flight is a diplomatic incident involving the state of registration," said a senior industry source from a major aviation business.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57236086

This quasi dictator needs EU to take action to make him regret his attack on international air travel. Demand the return of the passengers kidnapped while under Polish sovereignty and so long as he refuses, keep piling on the pain. IMO the important thing is to send a message to other countries run by dubious regimes not to try this themselves.

Belarus intercepts Ryanair flight from ATH to VNO

Tue May 25, 2021 2:17 pm

@davidjohnson6

It flies almost daily over Crimea, Georgia and Ukraine and for some reasons it’s often visible on FR24.

Today it just went through a different routing passing, of course by coincidence, just aside Belarus…

PhilipBass

Tue May 25, 2021 2:33 pm

My hope would be that in future people who are in danger of being kidnapped by state sponsored actors will avoid flights over unfriendly nations.
This poor man should have flown to Stansted or Charleroi or Dublin and flown onward to his destination from there.
He will be a cautionary tale to others.

OA260

Tue May 25, 2021 2:55 pm

PhilipBass wrote:
My hope would be that in future people who are in danger of being kidnapped by state sponsored actors will avoid flights over unfriendly nations.
This poor man should have flown to Stansted or Charleroi or Dublin and flown onward to his destination from there.

Although in current Covid circumstances not always that easy to transit and Dublin is closed to non essential travel currently.

gregpodpl

Tue May 25, 2021 3:36 pm

johns624 wrote:
The difference is the EU knows Putin is behind Belarus and they are afraid of Russia, both militarily and for its natural resources.

I would disagree here. It's some powerful and wealthy people afraid of loosing money they have from deals with Russia. EU can get oil and gas from other sources - Russia is not the only option.

johns624

Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm

gregpodpl wrote:
johns624 wrote:

I would disagree here. It's some powerful and wealthy people afraid of loosing money they have from deals with Russia. EU can get oil and gas from other sources - Russia is not the only option.
Then why don't they? It would require a lot of new infrastructure.

seansasLCY

Tue May 25, 2021 3:49 pm

PhilipBass wrote:

Putin gets you wherever you end up. There have been suspicious deaths of Russian dissidents all over Europe. Many analysts have said there is no way Belarus would do this without Russian approval and given reports say the victim was being followed at the airport it is clear if they didn’t land the plane they had the resources to get rid of him another way.

amdiesen

Tue May 25, 2021 4:29 pm

offloaded wrote:
Apart from the unfortunate journalist, the rest of the passengers and crew got to go home...

Sofia Sapega has yet to be granted Consular access.
"We come from the categoric need to ensure rights of the Russian citizen and consular access to her. We are hoping that she will be soon released by Belarusian authorities if of course she did not break any laws," he said. (Dmitry Peskov)
https://tass.com/politics/1293579
puzzling over:
1) proper amortization of long-lived assets where costs and revenue are complex, in a technologically evolving environment.
2) the economics of gate real estate

gregpodpl

Tue May 25, 2021 5:06 pm

johns624 wrote:
gregpodpl wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Then why don't they? It would require a lot of new infrastructure.

AFAIK many do - first for natural gas, now for oil. For example Poland made big infrastructure investments to import LNG instead of natural gas from Russia. Now they are working on infrastructure to import more oil from other sources too.

SL1200MK2

Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 pm

What's so interesting about this is the calculations that Belarus may have done in the planning. I assume they had a pretty good idea that the international reaction would be as it is. Did they really assume folks would believe the bomb-scare story? Or, did they basically not care and made up such an easily disproven story just to have something to say? Further, they must really be afraid of this reporter and what he is capable of if they are going through all of this to arrest and torture him.

davidjohnson6

Tue May 25, 2021 5:44 pm

I very much doubt Lukashenko is very scared of one journalist. By doing this, he has likely worried, or at least inserted uncertainty into the minds of, a lot of other democracy / human rights activists who still live in Belarus.

The laptop is a bonus for the KGB - people will wonder "Were the files encrypted ? Was my name in one of the files ? What info or messages can be linked in those files to me ?"

More important is the message from Lukashenko:
"No matter where you are, we can find you, and do whatever we like with you"
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Tue May 25, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Newark727

Tue May 25, 2021 5:46 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
What's so interesting about this is the calculations that Belarus may have done in the planning. I assume they had a pretty good idea that the international reaction would be as it is. Did they really assume folks would believe the bomb-scare story? Or, did they basically not care and made up such an easily disproven story just to have something to say? Further, they must really be afraid of this reporter and what he is capable of if they are going through all of this to arrest and torture him.

It's less about the actual threat the dude posed and more about swinging your dick around - showing the world that you have the power to do this to a guy, and asking everyone else, "what are you going to do about it?" Likewise, the explanation is an obvious lie, for the sake of showing that they can get away with telling one.

"The strong do what they will, the weak suffer what they must" is a shitty way to conduct your international business, but it seems to be the one Putin and his allies like Lukashenko prefer. We can only hope it doesn't catch on, because if every government were acting like this the world would be a much less safe place.

scbriml

Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
Did they really assume folks would believe the bomb-scare story?

If there was a credible threat, the best course of action would have been to allow/assist the flight to continue to its destination rather than force/threaten it to divert to Minsk, a much greater distance. Only a fool would believe that theatre.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Alfons

Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Since around 70+ years our civilization lives in a growing number of democracies, driven by wealth and global commerce. This is also a weakness. Dictators of strong countries know very well how to use it. If they have military and financial deterrence power, they know they are untouchable. I believe Putin and Lukaschenko are having a big laugh about us on what's happening right now, and they will do it again and again, every time differently. We will have to get used to that.

proest

Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 pm

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-05-25/

The Minsk ATC released the transcript of the conversation with the Ryanair pilot. Any (pilot) which can shine some light on this, anything strange with this transcript? Also be advised that the released transcript is most probably not complete (not mention of the MiGs for instance).

PixelPilot

Tue May 25, 2021 8:30 pm

proest wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/they-say-code-is-red-transcript-controller-telling-plane-land-minsk-2021-05-25/

The Minsk ATC released the transcript of the conversation with the Ryanair pilot. Any (pilot) which can shine some light on this, anything strange with this transcript? Also be advised that the released transcript is most probably not complete (not mention of the MiGs for instance).

A clever way of making sure the pilots won't risk flying to an airport that is actually closer.
I wanna see cockpit audio released by Ryanair.

johns624

Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 pm

I'm 62 years old and believe that within my lifetime, Georgia, Moldova and Belarus are absorbed by Russia, forming a new USSR. I expect at least some of Ukraine to join, too. I hope the Baltic republics aren't coerced to join.

holczakker

Tue May 25, 2021 8:56 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Given that you emigrate to a country next door and feel an unresistible urge to have a med holiday during covid on a flight overflying the country where you are a public enemy (of the state). He did not make it very hard for hím.

johns624

Tue May 25, 2021 8:58 pm

holczakker wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Given that you emigrate to a country next door and feel an unresistible urge to have a med holiday during covid on a flight overflying the country where you are a public enemy (of the state). He did not make it very hard for hím.
The old "blame the victim" routine. Very transparent.

OA260

Tue May 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Considering this has officially been deemed a hijack I wonder if the passengers can launch legal proceedings against Belarus. They were of course held against their will for a number of hours .

holczakker

Tue May 25, 2021 9:51 pm

johns624 wrote:
holczakker wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

The old "blame the victim" routine. Very transparent.

Blaming the victim? Would you overfly a country (led by a dictator) where you are a wanted man to get to a beach?

davidjohnson6

Tue May 25, 2021 9:59 pm

OA260 wrote:
Considering this has officially been deemed a hijack I wonder if the passengers can launch legal proceedings against Belarus. They were of course held against their will for a number of hours .

Who exactly has deemed this a hijack ? Which court would have jurisdiction over this ? Could Belarus claim any form of sovereignty or immunity from the jurisdiction of such a court ?
Yes, I'm being awkward in asking these questions, but without proper answers, legal proceedings would be worthless. We're not talking war crimes here...

art

Tue May 25, 2021 10:09 pm

holczakker wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

I won't go into detail but I was detained for years in an African state for speaking up for myself when messed around by the government (one of those lovely one party dictatorships). Eventually a new anbassador turned up who got me an exit visa - I believe they like to start with a clean sheet by clearing outstanding 'problems' if they can. Get to border control and this time they don't rip up my boarding pass! Things are looking good. We taxi off towards the runway. Then we stop and head back for the terminal. My heart sinls. The door opens and... some important documents that had been forgotten are brought on board. I only felt safe once I had left the country's airspace. Gotta say that if I were a vociferous critic of a nasty regime like Belarus, I would take care to avoid entering ithe country's airspace. Just in case - you never know, do you?