Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Belarus intercepts Ryanair flight from ATH to VNO

Sun May 23, 2021 12:51 pm

A Ryanair flight FR4978 from Athens to Vilnius, was intercepted by the Belarus AF to Minsk in Belarus earlier today. Upon landing in Minsk, a Belarussian journalist, that was onboard the flight, was arrested. A very unprecedented event and raises the question if airlines will avoid Belarus airspace in the future.

https://www.dw.com/en/belarus-oppositio ... a-57635240

lesfalls

Re: Belarus intercepts Ryanair flight from ATH to VNO

Sun May 23, 2021 12:54 pm

Not to get political but the reason for the diversion was a bomb threat which could have been put by their government. Could lead to EU backlash for the likes of Belavia as they’ve been expanding quite a bit into Europe, phasing in new aircraft to their fleet and profiting on EU connection to the rest of Eastern Europe (in addition to Moscow-Ukraine traffic).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

VSMUT

Sun May 23, 2021 1:11 pm

Wasn't there a cold-war era movie about a Soviet dissident in the US who ended up on the run in the USSR again after his flight made an emergency landing?

Dissidents and critics of regimes should probably avoid flights that overfly their nation in the future...

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun May 23, 2021 1:19 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Wasn't there a cold-war era movie about a Soviet dissident in the US who ended up on the run in the USSR again after his flight made an emergency landing?

Dissidents and critics of regimes should probably avoid flights that overfly their nation in the future...

Was that White Nights with Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov?
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun May 23, 2021 1:20 pm

But what really concerns me is how the government knew who was on the flight!
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

OA260

Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 pm

Certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out and if the Polish government get involved as the A/C was registered there. No surprise they knew he was on the flight. Could be a friend who is also a double agent.

VSMUT

Sun May 23, 2021 1:31 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Not sure, I just remember the Irish 707-747 hybrid.

aerorobnz

Sun May 23, 2021 1:31 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

If there was a social media post or tweet by said individual it wouldn't be so hard, and that's without an espionage division that they would have at their disposal.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

usflyer msp

Sun May 23, 2021 1:56 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

If there was a social media post or tweet by said individual it wouldn't be so hard, and that's without an espionage division that they would have at their disposal.

Many countries require a passenger manifest when requesting overflight; the biggest offender with this is the US.

spartanmjf

Sun May 23, 2021 2:13 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Many countries require a passenger manifest when requesting overflight; the biggest offender with this is the US.

Yes, but unlike Belarus the US hasn't scrambled fighter jets to pull off a journalist - now a crazed terrorist may be a different story. Belarus should pay a price for this behavior.

Welcome to the world of George Orwell and 1984 where governments share manifests.
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

VSMUT

Sun May 23, 2021 2:28 pm

spartanmjf wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

Yes, but unlike Belarus the US hasn't scrambled fighter jets to pull off a journalist - now a crazed terrorist may be a different story. Belarus should pay a price for this behavior.

One man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Just saying. Belarus will use the exact same argument the US would.

usflyer msp

Sun May 23, 2021 2:35 pm

spartanmjf wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

Welcome to the world of George Orwell and 1984 where governments share manifests.

Who is sharing manifests? A flight from ATH to VNO goes over Belarus.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun May 23, 2021 2:42 pm

VSMUT wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Not sure, I just remember the Irish 707-747 hybrid.

And Mr. Barishnakov sitting on the LEFT side of the east-bound plane, looking out the window toward the south...

As the 747 skirted the edge of the Soviet Union, en-route from London to Tokyo...

Overlooking that HORRENDOUS plot hole, a great dance movie.

However, I know from previous threads that if a plane is going to overfly the United States, a passenger manifest must be given to the country of overflight, as sometimes there have been flights denied permission to use US airspace if a "suspicious" person is onboard. It was a Mexico-Europe flight that had to make a MAJOR detour because of one person many years ago...

vedatil4

Sun May 23, 2021 2:46 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

This situation reminds me of the Huawei CFO captured at Vancouver airport a few years back. That time the Canadians captured someone on behalf the US. But I think the plane might've been forced to land had she flown over the US on her way to Mexico.

Has a plane going over the US ever been forced to land because there was someone on board? I'm curious.

Bostrom

Sun May 23, 2021 2:52 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Not to get political but the reason for the diversion was a bomb threat which could have been put by their government. Could lead to EU backlash for the likes of Belavia as they’ve been expanding quite a bit into Europe, phasing in new aircraft to their fleet and profiting on EU connection to the rest of Eastern Europe (in addition to Moscow-Ukraine traffic).

Had it been a real bomb threat it would have made more sense to continue as the plane was closer to Vilnius than to Minsk.

Insertnamehere

Sun May 23, 2021 3:00 pm

BBC reporting that Lukashenko personally ordered the aircraft to land and that a Mig-29 was scrambled to get the aircraft to land in Belarus instead of continuing onto Vilnius.

Source:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57219860

konkret

Sun May 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Belarus sent a fighter jet to force the landing of an EU-registered passenger plane on an intra-EU flight to kidnap one of the passengers. Wow.

In my opinion EU should immediately forbid all EU registered airlines from overflying Belarus, so that the regime doesn’t get a cent from the overflight rights plus Belavia, as a state run enterprise, should be blocked from entering EU airspace, and if this is not feasible than Belavia flights should often be forced to land to be checked for any “bomb threats” and any Belarussian officials should be taken off such flights for a thorough questioning. Same if they try to board any other airline in an EU airport.

multimark

Sun May 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Any Belarus aircraft should be immediately barred from EU airspace. This kind of snatch and grab cannot he tolerated.

Vicenza

Sun May 23, 2021 4:01 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Why should that 'concern' you? Since every flight is booked before takeoff (i.e. not a bus service) the passenger is well know, and accessible to govertments and security services....including your own. What do you think the reason is, for example, that the US demands a passenger manifest for any aircraft flying over it's airspace irrespective of it's even landing or not.

aemoreira1981

Sun May 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Not sure how reliable this is, but...https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/statu ... 0718117890

KGB operatives initiated a fight and claimed an IED on board, just before the plane would have left Belarussian airspace.

If the EU is serious, they would also deny overflight to airlines under the jurisdiction of both Belarus and Russia (Rosaviatsiya), including impounding aircraft already in EU airspace, and if leased, canceling the leases on said aircraft.

davidjohnson6

Sun May 23, 2021 4:41 pm

I am surprised that the aircraft remains on the ground in Minsk for so long (still hasn't left Minsk after 6 hours on the ground)
Aircraft is SP-RSM
Flight crew are presumably now out of hours, which makes it harder to get all the other pax out of Belarus without staying the night

How many spare crew does Ryanair have in the region ?
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

holczakker

Sun May 23, 2021 4:47 pm

They were approx. 100 km from Vilnius (just about to pass the Belarus-Lithuania border) when they were forced to go to Minsk which was more than twice the distance. It's against the basic safety and security consideration to land at the nearest suitable airport in case of a bomb threat. Mainly if that closest aerodrome is your destination.

konkret

Sun May 23, 2021 4:47 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Not sure how reliable this is, but...https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/statu ... 0718117890

KGB operatives initiated a fight and claimed an IED on board, just before the plane would have left Belarussian airspace.

If the EU is serious, they would also deny overflight to airlines under the jurisdiction of both Belarus and Russia (Rosaviatsiya), including impounding aircraft already in EU airspace, and if leased, canceling the leases on said aircraft.

Will not happen, EU airlines can quite easily avoid Belarussian airspace - Russian not so much…

aemoreira1981

Sun May 23, 2021 5:05 pm

konkret wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Will not happen, EU airlines can quite easily avoid Belarussian airspace - Russian not so much…

It would likely require an airline like Finnair to be compensated, but other carriers may take a southerly detour over Ukraine instead. Also, regarding Belavia, under what circumstances can a lease be canceled by the lessor in terms of international relations?
Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Sun May 23, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LH748

Sun May 23, 2021 5:06 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if Russia accidentally intercepts a few EU airliners in the future for some political leverage.
Europe is a nice idea but a very weak and dependent region. I don't even expect any serious reaction to Belarus now.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

artflyer

Sun May 23, 2021 5:10 pm

Pax by nationality (per Lithuanian FM): 1 AT, 1 BE, 1 BG, 1 CY, 3 DE, 1 ESP, 9 FRA, 1 GEO, 11 GR , 94 LT, 2 LV, 4 PL, 5 RO, 4 BY, 3 RF, 1 GEO, 2 SYR, 1 NGA citizens (in total 171).

https://twitter.com/GLandsbergis/status ... 2250926082

aemoreira1981

Sun May 23, 2021 5:12 pm

LH748 wrote:
I wouldn't be too surprised if Russia accidentally intercepts a few EU airliners in the future for some political leverage.
Europe is a nice idea but a very weak and dependent region. I don't even expect any serious reaction to Belarus now.

Belarus is in the IIHF tourney right now. They scored an upset win over Sweden, but could they be thrown out of the tournament altogether with relegation as a result?

marcelh

Sun May 23, 2021 5:16 pm

LH748 wrote:

The EU might not be a military powerhouse like the US, but economically they are. And that will hurt them more.

a350lover

Sun May 23, 2021 5:21 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I am surprised that the aircraft remains on the ground in Minsk for so long (still hasn't left Minsk after 6 hours on the ground)
Aircraft is SP-RSM
Flight crew are presumably now out of hours, which makes it harder to get all the other pax out of Belarus without staying the night

The plane took off Vilnius this morning at 6:45am LT in VNO. Assuming the crew reported for the flight at least 45min prior departure, and follow the EU rule maximum 12h duty, they would have been out of hours at 06:45pm LT. Considering they only flew 2 sectors the max hours can be increased a little bit. There are quite a few exceptions to the rule which can be applied at captain's discretion.

FR closest station is in fact VNO, so they would have spare crews and planes there, but anyway I don't see FR leaving their crews and pax in Minsk overnight. Looking at FR press release about this incident they sound pretty clear they will fly back VNO tonight no matter what - probably they've been in touch with the crew and that's what they'll do.
Last edited by a350lover on Sun May 23, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

artflyer

Sun May 23, 2021 5:22 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Aircraft is SP-RSM

The closest bases of Ryanair are VNO and WMI. There is a flight from VNO to MSQ incoming at 9:15pm local time, soon to depart from VNO. I hope Ryanair will manage to send a repacement crew, as I can only imagine families with children onboard, coming back from Greek holidays, sitting now idle six+ hours on that plane..

a350lover

Sun May 23, 2021 5:27 pm

The plane is now moving live on Flightradar.

artflyer

Sun May 23, 2021 5:33 pm

marcelh wrote:
LH748 wrote:

The EU might not be a military powerhouse like the US, but economically they are. And that will hurt them more.

You don't have to put in place sanctions that are relating to aviation. 21% of Belarus exports are rafinery products (diesel fuel, petrol) sold to EU/UK/Ukraine. Quite a monoculture that is. These are sold cheap as local rafineries are not subject to the same environmental requirements as those applicable in the EU. If EU only had the guts, the kind of behavour shown today would be eliminated in a minute. More inaction, the more of such behaviour we will see and have to swallow in the future.

gregpodpl

Sun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm

marcelh wrote:
LH748 wrote:

As far as as I like it to be true - number of conflicting foreign interests of EU members is a problem. Maybe they will do something about Belarus now - but definitely nothing serious against Russia. There are too many shady business deals connecting Russia and some EU members.

DLASFlyer

Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Not to make light of a terrible abuse of power but did Ryanair charge the remaining pax an anciliary fee to reach Vilnius?

flyingturtle

Sun May 23, 2021 5:50 pm

Airlines make a promise to deliver you safely to your destination. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the massive investments in training and maintenance.

This is piracy, plain and simple.
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

asuflyer
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 5:54 pm

The Polish PM has released a statement condemning the act as state terrorism. The government of Poland is getting involved as the aircraft is Polish registered.

https://twitter.com/morawieckim/status/ ... 21892?s=21

OA260

Sun May 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Statement just issued by ICAO

ICAO is strongly concerned by the apparent forced landing of a Ryanair flight and its passengers, which could be in contravention of the Chicago Convention. We look forward to more information being officially confirmed by the countries and operators concerned.

https://twitter.com/icao/status/1396515 ... 57027?s=21

ikolkyo

Sun May 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Severe punishment should be coming very soon as this is just flat out unacceptable. Fake bomb threat to scramble a fighter jet to force a passenger aircraft with hundreds of people onboard to land?As said above, this is literal piracy and this could set a awful precedent.

davidjohnson6

Sun May 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Various Govt have released a "this is outrageous" press release. There will naturally be a desire for the foreign ministers of various countries to confer and listen to what everyone has to say. The crew will also be debriefed

However, in a week's time, will anything significant really happen beyond a lot of noise ? Putting a few KGB thugs on a no-fly list is hardly the kind of response that will worry Lukashenko.

a350lover

Sun May 23, 2021 6:15 pm

Ryanair confirmed in their press release the crew received a warning about "a potential security threat onboard".

Considering they were closer to VNO, but still over Belarus and thus under their control in terms of airspace, who decides where the plane has to divert to? Couldn't have the crew proposed to continue to their destination? How much of decision making could have been made by the crew? Did they just follow orders?
Last edited by a350lover on Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldJoe

Sun May 23, 2021 6:15 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Various Govt have released a "this is outrageous" press release. There will naturally be a desire for the foreign ministers of various countries to confer and listen to what everyone has to say. The crew will also be debriefed

However, in a week's time, will anything significant really happen beyond a lot of noise ? Putting a few KGB thugs on a no-fly list is hardly the kind of response that will worry Lukashenko.

Exactly, that will only draw a tired smile from him.
I'm more curious what MOL will say about it. Contact lawyers?

kalvado

Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm

As for unprecedented.. anyone remembers Bolivian president's plane landing in Austria over Snowden-on-board suspicion?

davidjohnson6

Sun May 23, 2021 6:22 pm

Aircraft has now entered Lithuanian air space

SCQ83

Sun May 23, 2021 6:23 pm

artflyer wrote:
Pax by nationality (per Lithuanian FM): 1 AT, 1 BE, 1 BG, 1 CY, 3 DE, 1 ESP, 9 FRA, 1 GEO, 11 GR , 94 LT, 2 LV, 4 PL, 5 RO, 4 BY, 3 RF, 1 GEO, 2 SYR, 1 NGA citizens (in total 171).

https://twitter.com/GLandsbergis/status ... 2250926082

What is RF supposed to be? Russian Federation?
Last edited by SCQ83 on Sun May 23, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seansasLCY

Sun May 23, 2021 6:56 pm

According to this tweet: https://twitter.com/PavelLatushka/statu ... 02401?s=20

Two Belarussians and four Russian citizens did not continue on the flight from Minsk to Vilnius. Almost certainly intelligence operatives who were trailing the individual. Russia has form for this kind of behaviour. Putin hunts down his enemies wherever they may be and makes sure they are finished off.

VSMUT

Sun May 23, 2021 7:24 pm

oldJoe wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Exactly, that will only draw a tired smile from him.
I'm more curious what MOL will say about it. Contact lawyers?

Certainly, to get the added fuel costs covered. I wonder if the crew will be bumped down on the fuel league table for this.

konkret

Sun May 23, 2021 7:29 pm

seansasLCY wrote:

Two Belarussians and four Russian citizens did not continue on the flight from Minsk to Vilnius. Almost certainly intelligence operatives who were trailing the individual. Russia has form for this kind of behaviour. Putin hunts down his enemies wherever they may be and makes sure they are finished off.

Let’s stick to the facts. AFAIK there is no evidence linking this to Russia or Putin. Tracking and trailing that individual is nothing beyond the capabilities of Belarussian secret service.

seansasLCY

Sun May 23, 2021 7:31 pm

konkret wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Let’s stick to the facts. AFAIK there is no evidence linking this to Russia or Putin. Tracking and trailing that individual is nothing beyond the capabilities of Belarussian secret service.

I mean the facts are Belarus only exists because they are supported and sustained by Russia. But sure let’s give the dictator and his ruthless neighbour the benefit of the doubt.

SuseJ772

Sun May 23, 2021 7:31 pm

I have to admit, that close to the border, that close to the destination, if I were captain, I’d just have left their airspace. I bet this becomes a training point for pilots. “Unable. Given the information, we are proceeding to the closest airport, which is our destination. Thanks for the info.” I’d love to hear the ATC recordings on this one.

ICAO/EU should just suspend all flights to Belarus - not just overflights. Let them fly to Russia all they want. There needs to be real serious repercussions for purposely threatening an airline with civilian passangers.

And anyone who thinks this remotely similar to the Bolivian situation (or even less similar Iran) is laughable.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

seansasLCY

Sun May 23, 2021 7:36 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
I have to admit, that close to the border, that close to the destination, if I were captain, I’d just have left their airspace. I bet this becomes a training point for pilots. “Unable. Given the information, we are proceeding to the closest airport, which is our destination. Thanks for the info.” I’d love to hear the ATC recordings on this one.

ICAO/EU should just suspend all flights to Belarus - not just overflights. Let them fly to Russia all they want. There needs to be real serious repercussions for purposely threatening an airline with civilian passangers.

And anyone who thinks this remotely similar to the Bolivian situation (or even less similar Iran) is laughable.

Belarus sent a MIG fighter up to make sure they followed the guidance to go to Minsk. According to pictures from spotters in Belarus the fighter was armed with 6 missiles too so seems they didn’t plan on messing around.