Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Volcanic Eruption in DR Congo

Sun May 23, 2021 6:25 pm

The eruption of Mount Nyiragongo in the DR Congo has led to 8,000 people fleeing to Rwanda. Thousands of residents in Goma, the most important city in the eastern part of the DR Congo spent the night outdoors with all of their belongings. Six hundred homes and five schools in Goma have been destroyed. Wondering what the extent of the damage will be once all this is said and done.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

seb146

Re: Volcanic Eruption in DR Congo

Sun May 23, 2021 6:29 pm

I find this interesting. I don't think of DR Congo as being volcanic. Knowing the geologic history of the Pacific Northwest and that we have volcanoes makes sense for Congo. It is just not something I think about when looking at ground level pics of there.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

T4thH

Sun May 23, 2021 8:38 pm

seb146 wrote:
I find this interesting. I don't think of DR Congo as being volcanic. Knowing the geologic history of the Pacific Northwest and that we have volcanoes makes sense for Congo. It is just not something I think about when looking at ground level pics of there.

Goma is the million metropol region globally (Goma itself is now at 670.000), which has been harmed most in last decades (and not only by vulcanos and earthquakes). Civil wars, genozides, attacks from Ruanda, Ebola, plane chrashs in the city e.g., an endless story. The Nyiragongo and the second vulcano, Nyamuragira, 2 of the 8 Virunga vulcanos, will regular, (so all few decades), destroy Goma or part of it with lava flows which often even reach the lake Kiwu. This was last 2002, when the souther part of Goma (13%) was destroyed, left 200.00 homeless and killed 245 (including part of the airport was destroyed). 1977, the wall of the lava lake collapsed, the lava was flowing in all directions, with a speed of up to 60 km/h. 600 died, Now, 100 of thousand would die or in high danger, as now the area reached in few low number of hours, is highly populated. In 2010, lava flows of the second vulcano, Nyamuragira, has reached lake Kiwu north of Goma. And Lake Kiwu, it is one of the few lakes globally withg saturation of carbon dioxide in deeper parts. It is one of the three knonw lakes with a history of limnic eruptions/"exploding lakes" and different to the two others, Lake Kiwu is additional saturated with methane....
For Lake Kiwu, one limnic eruption all 1000 years is expected. It has to be triggert, as example by an eartquake, landsliede...or an lava flow, reaching Lake Kiwu.

Aaron747

Mon May 24, 2021 1:15 am

seb146 wrote:

You have heard of the great east African rift? While DRC is a large country it’s entire eastern border is part of the rift valley.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seb146

Mon May 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You have heard of the great east African rift? While DRC is a large country it’s entire eastern border is part of the rift valley.

I know. I know those individual things but my brain does not always connect them.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

zakuivcustom

Mon May 24, 2021 5:59 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Being a geography buff myself, the African lake areas would not be the first place I would think of when it comes to DR Congo, either. You think of the basin, the area around Kinshasa to the west...

Just to show how big DR Congo is.

zkojq

Sat May 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Didn't one of the volcanic lakes there have some eruption of CO2 one night a while back which suffocated multiple thousands of locals?
First to fly the 787-9