Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7766
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:51 am

johns624 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Gun violence is increasing over the last 4 years as more and more of the suicide pact GOP keep trying to create a more dangerous world.
If a violent crime is being committed it is because the environment is present for it to be committed. you try to avoid such environments. Limiting guns in public is a good way to keep violent weapons away from people with the capacity to commit violent crimes. I don't have an uneducated phobia against all guns. I am very aware of their use. I do have a phobia against people that think that more people with guns will work out better. it will not.



Gun violence and murder are up a lot over the last year and it’s not be committed by the people you’re worried about.
If you read his past posts, he thinks that people will act irrationally if they are around guns. He seems to think that guns can control a person. I've had multiple AR15's M1a, M1 Garands and Glocks over the past 25+ years and none of them have ever made me do anything illegal. I just don't own them, I use them, too. My club team was in the top third of civilian and military teams in the Infantry Trophy Match at Camp Perry 20+ years ago. Yet, even though I could hit a man size silhouette at 500yds at least 15 times in 50 seconds without a scope, I've never had the urge to do a drive-by, be a sniper, rob or shoot anyone, etc. I grew up as a minority in the city of Detroit, too, with an alcoholic father. I had all kinds of excuses...but I've never used excuses, just worked hard for what I wanted and needed.


Problem being, you’re a responsible person taking charge of your life and being responsible for the outcomes. Some here there that’s old fashioned and people should be victims.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7766
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:55 am

California, watch out, Judge Roger Benitez is coming for your assault weapons ban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/a ... e=Homepage
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:00 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
California, watch out, Judge Roger Benitez is coming for your assault weapons ban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/a ... e=Homepage


Nothing to watch out for - his absurd Swiss Army Knife analogy will get killed on appeal to the 9th circuit.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:08 am

The gun makers should band together and quit selling ARs in California to law enforcement. After all, why should civilian law enforcement need "military-grade weapons", as so many antis refer to them as.
 
CometII
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 6:02 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:15 am

johns624 wrote:
The gun makers should band together and quit selling ARs in California to law enforcement. After all, why should civilian law enforcement need "military-grade weapons", as so many antis refer to them as.


Well, they shouldn't. The police forces should have never been militarized, both in weaponry, but most importantly in training and psychology and mentality.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:25 am

CometII wrote:
johns624 wrote:
The gun makers should band together and quit selling ARs in California to law enforcement. After all, why should civilian law enforcement need "military-grade weapons", as so many antis refer to them as.


Well, they shouldn't. The police forces should have never been militarized, both in weaponry, but most importantly in training and psychology and mentality.
It was when they got milsurp equipment and started shaving their heads that they started acting like oppressors.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:34 am

johns624 wrote:
CometII wrote:
johns624 wrote:
The gun makers should band together and quit selling ARs in California to law enforcement. After all, why should civilian law enforcement need "military-grade weapons", as so many antis refer to them as.


Well, they shouldn't. The police forces should have never been militarized, both in weaponry, but most importantly in training and psychology and mentality.
It was when they got milsurp equipment and started shaving their heads that they started acting like oppressors.


It's not that, but federal grant money post 9/11 certainly did incentivize many police departments to purchase milsurp equipment. What critics point out is that having all that gear does change force psychology, arguably negatively. Most departments already had SWAT teams pre-9/11, when crime rates were far higher in the late 80s/early 90s than now. So the question is - what's the point of all this equipment with lower crime overall, when terror threats were understood immediately after 9/11 to mostly affect power stations, transport infrastructure, and major tourist areas?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
CometII wrote:

Well, they shouldn't. The police forces should have never been militarized, both in weaponry, but most importantly in training and psychology and mentality.
It was when they got milsurp equipment and started shaving their heads that they started acting like oppressors.


It's not that, but federal grant money post 9/11 certainly did incentivize many police departments to purchase milsurp equipment. What critics point out is that having all that gear does change force psychology, arguably negatively. Most departments already had SWAT teams pre-9/11, when crime rates were far higher in the late 80s/early 90s than now. So the question is - what's the point of all this equipment with lower crime overall, when terror threats were understood immediately after 9/11 to mostly affect power stations, transport infrastructure, and major tourist areas?

Boys with toys. The Big Lie is that policing is more dangerous than ever before. It's not. Not even close. Here are the stats-the 60s and 70s were much deadlier.
https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/officer-deaths-by-year
 
CometII
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 6:02 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:50 am

Which is further reinforcing evidence to this phenonemon, if all discussed above is accurate.

CometII wrote:


There is ample anecdotal evidence and even studies that show that drivers of SUVs are more aggressive, and the females that drive SUVs show more "male/teenage" style driving than women who do not.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-1219-6

Others reports are similar when it comes to diplomatic immunity, for example. In similar environments, people with diplomatic immunity are more likely to perform actions that are potentially crossing the line of legality, than people in similar situations that don't enjoy that status. Even in football (American), I recall one time something about how violent collisions INCREASED the more protective the equipment became (or was supposed to be), since the players obviously would assume stronger collisions would not be as dangerous as before.

It's basic human behavior, really. And beyond this rather strong proclivity, just having more lethal armament increases lethal incidents. Even the best of people will flip-out once in a lifetime. If they don't carry anything, they just kick the snot out of garbage cans, walls, desks, or tv sets to vent frustrations on those most terrible of bad days. Maybe they get fired for damaging office equipment, maybe they mess up their own house. But if they have a gun in their hands... Well, then, you have the modern America seen on the news virtually every day.

I will give you this, the genie is out of the bottle...
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:59 am

johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
It was when they got milsurp equipment and started shaving their heads that they started acting like oppressors.


It's not that, but federal grant money post 9/11 certainly did incentivize many police departments to purchase milsurp equipment. What critics point out is that having all that gear does change force psychology, arguably negatively. Most departments already had SWAT teams pre-9/11, when crime rates were far higher in the late 80s/early 90s than now. So the question is - what's the point of all this equipment with lower crime overall, when terror threats were understood immediately after 9/11 to mostly affect power stations, transport infrastructure, and major tourist areas?

Boys with toys. The Big Lie is that policing is more dangerous than ever before. It's not. Not even close. Here are the stats-the 60s and 70s were much deadlier.
https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/officer-deaths-by-year


Indeed. The 70s were deadlier for everyone - police and citizens both.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
CaptHadley
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:07 am

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's not that, but federal grant money post 9/11 certainly did incentivize many police departments to purchase milsurp equipment. What critics point out is that having all that gear does change force psychology, arguably negatively. Most departments already had SWAT teams pre-9/11, when crime rates were far higher in the late 80s/early 90s than now. So the question is - what's the point of all this equipment with lower crime overall, when terror threats were understood immediately after 9/11 to mostly affect power stations, transport infrastructure, and major tourist areas?

Boys with toys. The Big Lie is that policing is more dangerous than ever before. It's not. Not even close. Here are the stats-the 60s and 70s were much deadlier.
https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/officer-deaths-by-year


Indeed. The 70s were deadlier for everyone - police and citizens both.


A lot of that can come from the fact the bullet proof vests weren't readily available until the mid 70's and even then they were made to stop 38 and 22 caliber shells. They were also not made of kevlar and lastly most departments never made it mandatory to wear one, hardly any officers did, partly due to the bulkiness of them.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:26 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Boys with toys. The Big Lie is that policing is more dangerous than ever before. It's not. Not even close. Here are the stats-the 60s and 70s were much deadlier.
https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/officer-deaths-by-year


Indeed. The 70s were deadlier for everyone - police and citizens both.


A lot of that can come from the fact the bullet proof vests weren't readily available until the mid 70's and even then they were made to stop 38 and 22 caliber shells. They were also not made of kevlar and lastly most departments never made it mandatory to wear one, hardly any officers did, partly due to the bulkiness of them.


Another factor is that tactical and professional training did not appear in widespread fashion until the 1970s. The LEAA was created in 1968 and this was the first time cops were incentivized with government programs to further/continue their education with reimbursement possible. Prior to that it was literally join out of high school, and become whatever kind of cop your mentors were - good or bad.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:26 am

alohashirts wrote:
Good! God bless Texas!


God has nothing to do with it.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7766
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:30 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
California, watch out, Judge Roger Benitez is coming for your assault weapons ban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/a ... e=Homepage


Nothing to watch out for - his absurd Swiss Army Knife analogy will get killed on appeal to the 9th circuit.


But, that’s not where it ends, is it? If you actually knew anything about firearms, you’d be less dismissive of the Swiss Armt knife analogy, but you don’t.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 850
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:37 am

As someone from Kansas, I’ve seen these dorks carrying their guns like it’s their pride and joy. They’re all middle aged men with beer bellies and most people laugh at them. It’s really pathetic to be quite honest. If you want to look like an insecure clown then by all means go ahead. These nuts provide ample comedic relief for us sane people. This is just another form of vanity. Getting up in the morning and looking in the mirror to make sure your gun is visible and sitting just right and then strutting around like you’re cool. It’s hilarious.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:53 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
As someone from Kansas, I’ve seen these dorks carrying their guns like it’s their pride and joy. They’re all middle aged men with beer bellies and most people laugh at them. It’s really pathetic to be quite honest. If you want to look like an insecure clown then by all means go ahead. These nuts provide ample comedic relief for us sane people. This is just another form of vanity. Getting up in the morning and looking in the mirror to make sure your gun is visible and sitting just right and then strutting around like you’re cool. It’s hilarious.


It’s not validation-seeking for everyone. Some people have had bad experiences with muggers or carjackings, or live far from any LE services. But for anyone with Ted Nugent-style posing in public and what not, it’s definitely crying out for recognition and attention. The psychology is plain as day.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:57 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
California, watch out, Judge Roger Benitez is coming for your assault weapons ban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/a ... e=Homepage


Nothing to watch out for - his absurd Swiss Army Knife analogy will get killed on appeal to the 9th circuit.


But, that’s not where it ends, is it? If you actually knew anything about firearms, you’d be less dismissive of the Swiss Armt knife analogy, but you don’t.


Grew up with them, but thanks for making assumptions. Stepdad had a 9mm Beretta, three rifles, and shotgun. Made sure my brother and I were comfortable with them on the range, could clean them, etc. The analogy is absurd as a legal argument and will be treated as such. Not to mention it has lit a fuse under parents from Parkland on down and their organizations are going pedal to metal.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Veigar
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:00 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
California, watch out, Judge Roger Benitez is coming for your assault weapons ban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/a ... e=Homepage


Nothing to watch out for - his absurd Swiss Army Knife analogy will get killed on appeal to the 9th circuit.


are you saying that him saying that more people are killed by knives every year is the same as him saying killing someone with a knife is as easy as doing it with an AR? why are you being so ignorant? in case you didn't get it, which i'm assuming a lot of these sensational emotional journalists will try to capitalize on, Benitez is saying that more people die yearly to knife attacks (and a lot more) than AR-15s, so there's no reason to keep them banned. he's not saying killing someone with a knife is as easy as doing it with an AR.

i'm sorry for my bad english
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:48 am

Veigar wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
California, watch out, Judge Roger Benitez is coming for your assault weapons ban.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/us/a ... e=Homepage


Nothing to watch out for - his absurd Swiss Army Knife analogy will get killed on appeal to the 9th circuit.


are you saying that him saying that more people are killed by knives every year is the same as him saying killing someone with a knife is as easy as doing it with an AR? why are you being so ignorant? in case you didn't get it, which i'm assuming a lot of these sensational emotional journalists will try to capitalize on, Benitez is saying that more people die yearly to knife attacks (and a lot more) than AR-15s, so there's no reason to keep them banned. he's not saying killing someone with a knife is as easy as doing it with an AR.

i'm sorry for my bad english


That's not the crux of the argument, nor why it is flawed. The potential number of victims in a knife attack is less, anyone knows that, and is easily provable in court. The Swiss Army knife analogy purports that like the named multipurpose tool, this type of weapon is ideally suited to numerous situations, including home defense. Benitez does not elucidate the full nature of the rifle's versatility, because it would distract from his point. He named home defense for its emotional impact. Any attorney worth their salt can get a couple of experts together and show that this type of rifle's effectiveness for home defense would depend largely on how and where one lives, and what type of intruder they are protecting against. He also fails to address that the ban has a logical nexus with existing ATF policy, given that anyone with illegal equipment and good milling skills can enhance such a rifle's capability.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
alohashirts
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:58 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
As someone from Kansas, I’ve seen these dorks carrying their guns like it’s their pride and joy. They’re all middle aged men with beer bellies and most people laugh at them. It’s really pathetic to be quite honest. If you want to look like an insecure clown then by all means go ahead. These nuts provide ample comedic relief for us sane people. This is just another form of vanity. Getting up in the morning and looking in the mirror to make sure your gun is visible and sitting just right and then strutting around like you’re cool. It’s hilarious.

America is great, isn’t it? You’re completely out of touch with reality. Tell us how you really feel. Or go back to your safe space or gun free neighborhood, haha.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:31 am

alohashirts wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
As someone from Kansas, I’ve seen these dorks carrying their guns like it’s their pride and joy. They’re all middle aged men with beer bellies and most people laugh at them. It’s really pathetic to be quite honest. If you want to look like an insecure clown then by all means go ahead. These nuts provide ample comedic relief for us sane people. This is just another form of vanity. Getting up in the morning and looking in the mirror to make sure your gun is visible and sitting just right and then strutting around like you’re cool. It’s hilarious.

America is great, isn’t it? You’re completely out of touch with reality. Tell us how you really feel. Or go back to your safe space or gun free neighborhood, haha.


Are you suggesting there are not loads of American men who are validation seekers? I'd suggest retaking Psych 101 if you believe that observation is 'out of touch with reality'.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:04 pm

I never open carry but it's a viable option for some who can't afford to go the concealed route. Some are posing and some have to do it because of finances. For how rare it is, it's not really worthy of a #222 post thread. Nobody's mind will be changed.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:21 pm

johns624 wrote:
I never open carry but it's a viable option for some who can't afford to go the concealed route. Some are posing and some have to do it because of finances. For how rare it is, it's not really worthy of a #222 post thread. Nobody's mind will be changed.


Imagine someone being so fragile that they feel they must be armed at all times with little to no training. Unless a person is in law enforcement or lives in a rural area, what is the point?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:36 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
johns624 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:


Gun violence and murder are up a lot over the last year and it’s not be committed by the people you’re worried about.
If you read his past posts, he thinks that people will act irrationally if they are around guns. He seems to think that guns can control a person. I've had multiple AR15's M1a, M1 Garands and Glocks over the past 25+ years and none of them have ever made me do anything illegal. I just don't own them, I use them, too. My club team was in the top third of civilian and military teams in the Infantry Trophy Match at Camp Perry 20+ years ago. Yet, even though I could hit a man size silhouette at 500yds at least 15 times in 50 seconds without a scope, I've never had the urge to do a drive-by, be a sniper, rob or shoot anyone, etc. I grew up as a minority in the city of Detroit, too, with an alcoholic father. I had all kinds of excuses...but I've never used excuses, just worked hard for what I wanted and needed.


Problem being, you’re a responsible person taking charge of your life and being responsible for the outcomes. Some here there that’s old fashioned and people should be victims.



Responsible people is a rare thing these days. Just look at the 10's of millions that still worship a person that can't accept the election results. Many of them have guns and permits, and I can't trust them to run their own life or make the decisions that could destroy millions of lives.

There are millions of good people getting married every year. It doesn't stop millions of them from getting divorces within the next 10 years. Things go wrong, and people go bad for each other and for those surrounding them.

Unlicensed gun owners will make choices down the road to sell to anyone willing to pay, and it will create issues for law enforcement and their neighbors.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
ewt340
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:19 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

What do think—domestic abusers or suicidal people will fill out the state form casually mentioning their true intentions and sale will be stopped? Are you serious?

Why insurance? If I use one of my guns in an illegal manner, I’m going to jail. Who benefits from the insurance when I use them responsibly? No one. More culture war from you because you hate shooters.


Say it with me loud and clear = PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION!
This should be mandatory alongside firearm training.

I'm pretty sure most people with a brain would agree with those 2 simple steps to ensure our safety.


Do psychologists really have a good track record at predicting murder or suicide? I’d bet they’d be the first to say no, they don’t. It’s very hard to evaluate. The Newtown killer was well diagnosed, mom bought him guns. Really stupid. No one has ever figured out the motivation of the Las Vegas shooter. Shrinks just aren’t that good unless you think the public should undergo regular psych evaluations because they can kill with all kinds of weapons freely available. Besides, the vast majority of murders in the US aren’t caused by mental illness, they drug and gang related. Gangbangers aren’t checking in at the docs for a checkup from the neck up.

More, “I don’t like people to have sporting use of firearms, so I’ll make it difficult. And, I don’t care that it won’t change the violence rates.”


YES, they do. They could pick up signs of behavioral problems. Would the rate be close to 100%? No, but lowering the chance for dangerous people from obtaining legal guns at any rate would be beneficial for everybody.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 am

ewt340 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

Say it with me loud and clear = PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION!
This should be mandatory alongside firearm training.

I'm pretty sure most people with a brain would agree with those 2 simple steps to ensure our safety.


Do psychologists really have a good track record at predicting murder or suicide? I’d bet they’d be the first to say no, they don’t. It’s very hard to evaluate. The Newtown killer was well diagnosed, mom bought him guns. Really stupid. No one has ever figured out the motivation of the Las Vegas shooter. Shrinks just aren’t that good unless you think the public should undergo regular psych evaluations because they can kill with all kinds of weapons freely available. Besides, the vast majority of murders in the US aren’t caused by mental illness, they drug and gang related. Gangbangers aren’t checking in at the docs for a checkup from the neck up.

More, “I don’t like people to have sporting use of firearms, so I’ll make it difficult. And, I don’t care that it won’t change the violence rates.”


YES, they do. They could pick up signs of behavioral problems. Would the rate be close to 100%? No, but lowering the chance for dangerous people from obtaining legal guns at any rate would be beneficial for everybody.


If the FBI were allowed to investigate back ground checks fully, they would probably find that some of those they approved actually had domestic violence calls against them. You would be surprised how good mental health professionals are at their job. They have an oath they must uphold. But I am sure there are some who do not out of fear of being sued over limiting someone's Second Amendment rights.

Sporting guns are completely different than WMDs that NRA and other gun "fanatics" support. I have never owned a gun but I am all for personal protection. If you need 50 rounds a minute to feel secure, maybe you should see a therapist. One is all it takes. If you need to pop off 50 rounds a minute to bring down a deer, maybe think about becoming vegan. One is all it takes.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
ewt340
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am

seb146 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Do psychologists really have a good track record at predicting murder or suicide? I’d bet they’d be the first to say no, they don’t. It’s very hard to evaluate. The Newtown killer was well diagnosed, mom bought him guns. Really stupid. No one has ever figured out the motivation of the Las Vegas shooter. Shrinks just aren’t that good unless you think the public should undergo regular psych evaluations because they can kill with all kinds of weapons freely available. Besides, the vast majority of murders in the US aren’t caused by mental illness, they drug and gang related. Gangbangers aren’t checking in at the docs for a checkup from the neck up.

More, “I don’t like people to have sporting use of firearms, so I’ll make it difficult. And, I don’t care that it won’t change the violence rates.”


YES, they do. They could pick up signs of behavioral problems. Would the rate be close to 100%? No, but lowering the chance for dangerous people from obtaining legal guns at any rate would be beneficial for everybody.


If the FBI were allowed to investigate back ground checks fully, they would probably find that some of those they approved actually had domestic violence calls against them. You would be surprised how good mental health professionals are at their job. They have an oath they must uphold. But I am sure there are some who do not out of fear of being sued over limiting someone's Second Amendment rights.

Sporting guns are completely different than WMDs that NRA and other gun "fanatics" support. I have never owned a gun but I am all for personal protection. If you need 50 rounds a minute to feel secure, maybe you should see a therapist. One is all it takes. If you need to pop off 50 rounds a minute to bring down a deer, maybe think about becoming vegan. One is all it takes.


That doesn't make sense to be fair. If they have problems in the first place, and they are in the Approved list, wouldn't it be good to blacklisted them instead?

The "Oath" they uphold are invalid in this situation since the patients actually allowed the information to be shared with the government to provide them with gun license. It's similar to pilot no?
 
extender
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
Sporting guns are completely different than WMDs that NRA and other gun "fanatics" support. I have never owned a gun but I am all for personal protection. If you need 50 rounds a minute to feel secure, maybe you should see a therapist. One is all it takes. If you need to pop off 50 rounds a minute to bring down a deer, maybe think about becoming vegan. One is all it takes.


50 rounds per minute is quite slow, so the reference is a wash. Yet people fail to understand it isn't about deer hunting. Ask the native Americans if a tyrannical government can do evil things. Same for the Japanese-Americans that were interred during WW2.

The Constitution protects them. My state allows them. My paid advocates help protect them. And I think they’re fun. Your fears do not trump any rights.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:50 pm

extender wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Sporting guns are completely different than WMDs that NRA and other gun "fanatics" support. I have never owned a gun but I am all for personal protection. If you need 50 rounds a minute to feel secure, maybe you should see a therapist. One is all it takes. If you need to pop off 50 rounds a minute to bring down a deer, maybe think about becoming vegan. One is all it takes.


50 rounds per minute is quite slow, so the reference is a wash. Yet people fail to understand it isn't about deer hunting. Ask the native Americans if a tyrannical government can do evil things. Same for the Japanese-Americans that were interred during WW2.

The Constitution protects them. My state allows them. My paid advocates help protect them. And I think they’re fun. Your fears do not trump any rights.


What a laugh. Tyranny by their government was not the problem for native Americans - being annexed was.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
If the FBI were allowed to investigate back ground checks fully, they would probably find that some of those they approved actually had domestic violence calls against them. You would be surprised how good mental health professionals are at their job. They have an oath they must uphold. But I am sure there are some who do not out of fear of being sued over limiting someone's Second Amendment rights.

Sporting guns are completely different than WMDs that NRA and other gun "fanatics" support. I have never owned a gun but I am all for personal protection. If you need 50 rounds a minute to feel secure, maybe you should see a therapist. One is all it takes. If you need to pop off 50 rounds a minute to bring down a deer, maybe think about becoming vegan. One is all it takes.

1. Why do you think the FBI isn't doing thorough background checks? The check they do is more comprehensive than any that police do on the side of the road. Maybe they just need more funding or someone should tell them to put more effort into it.
2. If you think "one is all it takes", why do police have to shoot so many times? I'll tell you why--real life isn't the movies. Handguns aren't very powerful at all, they're just more portable than rifles. Actually, ARs aren't that powerful, either. If civilians don't need "50 rounds a minute", why should police. Civilians are victims of crime every day. How many times do police prevent a crime? Very seldom. That's why they are called "responders". They respond to crimes that have already been committed. They also have multiple backups with a radio call. Civilians don't have that luxury. They are on their own.
3. Have you ever shot a gun? If so, was it under stress?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23714
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:03 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
If the FBI were allowed to investigate back ground checks fully, they would probably find that some of those they approved actually had domestic violence calls against them. You would be surprised how good mental health professionals are at their job. They have an oath they must uphold. But I am sure there are some who do not out of fear of being sued over limiting someone's Second Amendment rights.

Sporting guns are completely different than WMDs that NRA and other gun "fanatics" support. I have never owned a gun but I am all for personal protection. If you need 50 rounds a minute to feel secure, maybe you should see a therapist. One is all it takes. If you need to pop off 50 rounds a minute to bring down a deer, maybe think about becoming vegan. One is all it takes.

1. Why do you think the FBI isn't doing thorough background checks? The check they do is more comprehensive than any that police do on the side of the road. Maybe they just need more funding or someone should tell them to put more effort into it.
2. If you think "one is all it takes", why do police have to shoot so many times? I'll tell you why--real life isn't the movies. Handguns aren't very powerful at all, they're just more portable than rifles. Actually, ARs aren't that powerful, either. If civilians don't need "50 rounds a minute", why should police. Civilians are victims of crime every day. How many times do police prevent a crime? Very seldom. That's why they are called "responders". They respond to crimes that have already been committed. They also have multiple backups with a radio call. Civilians don't have that luxury. They are on their own.
3. Have you ever shot a gun? If so, was it under stress?


I already posted this but here it is again

https://www.rollcall.com/2019/12/03/fbi ... un-checks/

I don't know why cops shoot multiple times. You know the minds of ever single cop that shot so you tell us. High capacity weapons are specialized. They should be a last resort by police.

If cops do not prevent crime, why even have them? Why have laws, for that matter. Just give everyone as many guns as possible and let the shoot anyone for any reason because "a crime may have been prevented" is what it sounds like you are saying.

Since cops are only showing up in the aftermath of a crime, this is the perfect example of why we need to move money from cops to a completely different department that will take notes and help people deal with their grief. Right?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:19 pm

Like I said, maybe the FBI needs to hire more help if they have such a backlog. They can't keep you detained indefinitely on the side of the road if they pull you over and want to do a background check.
As to why cops fire multiple times--a 9mm handgun, the most popular among police, has around 350 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. An AR has about 1100 and the old standby 30/06 used by millions of deer hunters, has 2800. You can see how anemic the 9mm is. It's main attribute is that it can be carried on the belt and always be there.
You missed my whole point about police. It was that private citizens are as likely to meet a criminal while he's committing a crime as a police officer, so why shouldn't he be able to defend himself with the same power?
High capacity weapons aren't "specialized". They are normal, everyday products. They are no harder to shoot. Police shoot to stop, which means they shoot until the criminal is no longer a threat. Think of the Columbus cop who shot the girl with a knife. Should he have just shot her once and let her continue trying to slash and stab until she bled out? No, you fire until the suspect is no longer a threat.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:05 pm

johns624 wrote:
Like I said, maybe the FBI needs to hire more help if they have such a backlog. They can't keep you detained indefinitely on the side of the road if they pull you over and want to do a background check.
As to why cops fire multiple times--a 9mm handgun, the most popular among police, has around 350 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. An AR has about 1100 and the old standby 30/06 used by millions of deer hunters, has 2800. You can see how anemic the 9mm is. It's main attribute is that it can be carried on the belt and always be there.
You missed my whole point about police. It was that private citizens are as likely to meet a criminal while he's committing a crime as a police officer, so why shouldn't he be able to defend himself with the same power?
High capacity weapons aren't "specialized". They are normal, everyday products. They are no harder to shoot. Police shoot to stop, which means they shoot until the criminal is no longer a threat. Think of the Columbus cop who shot the girl with a knife. Should he have just shot her once and let her continue trying to slash and stab until she bled out? No, you fire until the suspect is no longer a threat.


FBI has many competing priorities and background checks are obviously lower priority than some of their other charges. Maybe if both parties would quit interfering and properly fund them, they could actually handle them all.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Maybe if both parties would quit interfering and properly fund them, they could actually handle them all.
I admire your optimism! :D
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14954
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Texas to allow unlicensed carrying of handguns

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 pm

johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Maybe if both parties would quit interfering and properly fund them, they could actually handle them all.
I admire your optimism! :D


I’m not optimistic. We just sat through four years where unpatriotic fans of POTUS regularly claimed FBI is corrupt and not to be trusted. Shameful.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, OA412, panamair, seahawk and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos