Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146
Topic Author

Republicans Block Bipartisan Capital Riot Investigation

Fri May 28, 2021 6:18 pm

https://apnews.com/article/michael-penc ... 4b805b85d9
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... surrection
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/2 ... ion-491162

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell decided to block a bipartisan investigation into the deadly January 6 domestic terror attack on the Capital. No surprise there. I say Democrats should just go it alone. Republicans clearly refuse to stand up for democracy and patriotism.

petertenthije

Re: Republicans Block Bipartisan Capital Riot Investigation

Fri May 28, 2021 7:25 pm

seb146 wrote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell decided to block a bipartisan investigation into the deadly January 6 domestic terror attack on the Capital. No surprise there. I say Democrats should just go it alone. Republicans clearly refuse to stand up for democracy and patriotism.

4 Americans killed in Benghazi = Republicans push through 10 hearings.
5 Americans killed in DC = Republicans block investigations

The GOP was convinced they could find dirt on Hillary, so they pushed for more and more investigations. And found zilch.

The GOP must be convinced the Democrats will find dirt, so they block everything.

ltbewr

Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 pm

What took place today was to block the bill by the threat of a 'filibuster' a Senate procedure allowing unending debate on the bill, basically 'talking it to its death.' to deny a simple 51-49 vote on creating a joint bi-partisan Commission to review the terror events at the USA capital on 1/6/21. The rule has no real legal standing, the Constitution only requires a super-majority vote (2/3rds) on Impeachment of certain Federal officials. That the Republicans have decided that this Commission cannot exist (although another vote on it may take place in a month or 2, likely to fail anyway) means they know they were complicit in the terrorist act that day and place and afraid of losing seats if allowed it. Toe me their actions are those of sedition, support domestic terrorism and authoritarianism and not representative democracy.
To me Democrats must take a hard-ass attitude and create in the House and Senate endless 'special committees' of members the party will dominate and Republicans will try to screw around with like the Republicans did with the Clintons, over the Benghazi counselor office and others. Our country will die if we don't do it.

casinterest

Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 pm

The GOP is not longer an American political party. It is a criminal enterprise.

MaverickM11

Fri May 28, 2021 9:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
The GOP is not longer an American political party. It is a criminal enterprise.

Hey but don't forget blue lives matter. Unless your blue life was on the receiving end of the republican terrorist attack January 6--then the good Lord sweeps it right under the rug.

phatfarmlines

Fri May 28, 2021 10:15 pm

seb146 wrote:

If the midterms are wrecked for the GOP in the Senate, perhaps the Dems can revisit this. The 9/11 commission was formed 13 months after 9/11.

Aaron747

Fri May 28, 2021 10:46 pm

Predictably craven. They chose fealty to a cult leader over standing for what’s right.

sierrakilo44

Sat May 29, 2021 12:05 am

petertenthije wrote:
The GOP must be convinced the Democrats will find dirt, so they block everything.

They know that multiple GOP Congresspeople and staffers had contact with the insurrectionists prior to the attack, they assisting in planning of the attack by giving the leaders of the attack private tours and maps of the building, and during the attack they contacted rioters to let them know where certain Democratic members were hiding in the building.

McConnell quashed the investigation because he knows it’ll expose his own party as being fully complicit in the crimes.

flight152

Sat May 29, 2021 3:21 am

petertenthije wrote:
seb146 wrote:

5 Americans killed? This is a complete lie. Do some research.

Aaron747

Sat May 29, 2021 3:40 am

flight152 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
seb146 wrote:

5 Americans killed? This is a complete lie. Do some research.

Why do you make such an easily disprovable claim? What happened, happened.

https://news.yahoo.com/2-capitol-police ... 56201.html

FGITD

Sat May 29, 2021 5:14 am

I also take issue with the 5 Americans dead count.

As far as I can tell, it was 1 American, and 4 terrorists who betrayed their country. Scratch those 4 from the record, they don’t count.

Aaron747

Sat May 29, 2021 5:35 am

FGITD wrote:

As far as I can tell, it was 1 American, and 4 terrorists who betrayed their country. Scratch those 4 from the record, they don’t count.

But but but Rudy/Don Jr/My Pillow Guy told me I was fighting to save the country!!

Aesma

Sat May 29, 2021 1:39 pm

About the filibuster, why don't they at least go through with it ? Have some GOP senators really work for it ?

seb146
Topic Author

Sat May 29, 2021 6:14 pm

The craziest part of this is that it took only 35 Republicans to kill this investigation. A majority of Senators voted FOR this bipartisan investigation. But, we can't have it because the tyranny of the minority.

maverick4002

Sat May 29, 2021 6:44 pm

FGITD wrote:

lol what? So now terrorists dont have nationalities? That doesnt apply when they come from the middle east / outside of north america huh

QF7

Sun May 30, 2021 12:08 am

As an infrequent poster I appreciate you regulars allowing me into the conversation.

I am really puzzled by McConnell’s thinking here.

With the negotiated bipartisan commission there was an agreement that it would report out by the end of the year and disband shortly thereafter. Thus giving the Republicans several months to do damage control before the voting for the midterm elections. Plus all subpoenas would have required Republican concurrence, i.e., to some degree they would have had some control over what was investigated.

Now, the Democrats are free to launch one or more Select Committees (a la Benghazi hearings) and can drag the timing out to report any damaging findings just before early voting starts for the midterms, leaving the Repubs very little time for damage control.

Oh, of course, the Repubs will scream partisanship, but they would do that anyway and will only convince their own voters who they already have anyway.

Does McConnell really think the Capitol Insurrection narrative will die out simply because he blocked the commission? C’mon. There are hundreds of people awaiting trial and each trial will generate news coverage.

So… as I said, I’m puzzled. Any ideas on what McConnell’s play is here?

seb146
Topic Author

Sun May 30, 2021 2:42 am

QF7 wrote:
As an infrequent poster I appreciate you regulars allowing me into the conversation.

With the negotiated bipartisan commission there was an agreement that it would report out by the end of the year and disband shortly thereafter. Thus giving the Republicans several months to do damage control before the voting for the midterm elections. Plus all subpoenas would have required Republican concurrence, i.e., to some degree they would have had some control over what was investigated.

Now, the Democrats are free to launch one or more Select Committees (a la Benghazi hearings) and can drag the timing out to report any damaging findings just before early voting starts for the midterms, leaving the Repubs very little time for damage control.

Oh, of course, the Repubs will scream partisanship, but they would do that anyway and will only convince their own voters who they already have anyway.

Does McConnell really think the Capitol Insurrection narrative will die out simply because he blocked the commission? C’mon. There are hundreds of people awaiting trial and each trial will generate news coverage.

Some experts think he is trying to hide crimes committed by those in his party. We know tours were given by Republicans in the days and weeks before the attack. He may also be trying to protect the de facto leader of the Republican party.

casinterest

Sun May 30, 2021 2:32 pm

QF7 wrote:

The GOP is not a functional political party anymore. It is a cult. They are running on the Trump train, and they aren't getting off. The GOP followers are unfortunately getting to be lower on the conservative Intellectual side , and higher and higher on the conspiracy theory side with right wing media driving the outrage of those unable to quit the addiction to bad information.

So now the GOP is on a train that is running full speed, engine is overheating, with worn out breaks, and the GOP leadership does not know how to regain control.

McConnell is trying to save the party by keeping the tent open to the roughly +50% that have lost their minds in partisan battles instead of actually taking a step back and evaluating what is best for themselves and their neighbors.

This vote to not establish a commission is a long line of decisions to defer to Trump supporters that demand outrage instead of accountability. The same for Trump's impeachments. The GOP has lost the ability to safeguard American values by sacrificing them for votes.

MaverickM11

Mon May 31, 2021 1:26 am

Even Pence's brother doesn't want to investigate the "Hang Mike Pence" republicans :rotfl:

https://www.newsweek.com/greg-pence-mik ... en-1593377

God what low lifes. Makes you wonder what the GOP would do if their base with the noose were successful. #familyvalues

tommy1808

Mon May 31, 2021 5:17 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
Makes you wonder what the GOP would do if their base with the noose were successful. #familyvalues

toss a coin to decide if they want to blame Antifa or BLM for it of course...

best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:51 pm

Rather Poignant tweet on Memorial day from Peter Meijer (R) Michigan. directed at the GOP members that are engaging in this twisted Lie about the Election and Capitol Riot. it takes aim at those that are selling out the sacrifices of our soldiers for political expediency instead of the truth.

https://twitter.com/RepMeijer/status/13 ... 0994445312

All three tweets are worth reading, but the last one is a solid summary.

Today & always, remember the fallen and those who loved them. Remember what it was they sacrificed for. And remember the need to protect it from the greedy delusions of craven demagogues who’d burn it all down if it meant more power or profit for them. (3/3)

And remember that Mitch McConnell is one of those that has sold out this country for political expediency.

One GOP senator said the measure would have garnered enough votes to pass the chamber and eventually land on Biden’s desk had McConnell not gotten involved.

“The vote on the commission would have had 60 votes in the absence of McConnell’s position,” said the Republican lawmaker who ended up voting against the bill.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/555 ... rim-reaper

There was an awful lot of Republicans that would have supported it if it wasn’t for his personal intervention,” Manchin told reporters.

Manchin said he tried to personally convince McConnell to support the commission.

“He just said, ‘Joe, we disagree,’” Manchin recounted of his conversation with the leader. “I said, ‘Sir, I respect that. We disagree but how can you disagree on killing the country?’ He looks at it strictly as a politics. He thinks the Democrats are going to play politics.”

It's all about a political game. There is no honor or integrity to the current GOP leadership.

casinterest

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 pm

So it turns out that the GOP do not want any investigation at all.
Kevin McCarthy and Mitch McConnell are threatening all GOP members with the loss of committees should they take part in any investigation into Jan 6 or the 147 traitors from the GOP Congress that tried to overthrow the election results.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mccarthy-rep ... 23429.html

McCarthy, Punchbowl News reports, during a meeting with freshman lawmakers warned that if any Republican accepts an appointment from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to serve on a select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, "they better be ready to get all their committee assignments from her." He warned them that Republicans must get their committee assignments from Republicans and not Democrats, "or else," Punchbowl writes.

CNN also reports that McCarthy threatened to strip Republican lawmakers of their committee assignments should they accept an offer to serve on the Capitol riot committee, and the alleged threat was confirmed by Forbes, which cited two GOP aides.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 335326001/

Republicans, including Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., have consistently called the creation of a committee specially focused on the Jan. 6 insurrection unnecessary and political.

it is necessary Mitch, especially since you will not investigate traitors like Trump, Cruz, or Hawley.

bennett123

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Time for people to decide where they stand, country or party.