Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skyservice_330
Topic Author

Mass Unmarked Grave of 200+ Kids Found in Canada

Mon May 31, 2021 9:01 pm

In what is getting lots of attention north of the 49th, a mass, unmarked, grave of an estimated 215 children has been found in British Columbia on the site of a former residential school.

The residential school system is, arguably, one of Canada's greatest historical shames - working with the churches, government run and sanctioned schools were set up. Indigenous kids were taken from their communities and sent to the state run / church run schools in the 1800's and early part of the 1900's. The schools were largely designed to strip kids of their indigenous culture, traditions and language. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which looked at the school system a few years ago, outlined a history of emotional, sexual and physical abuse that the kids were subjected to.

From my understanding, the existence of these potential sites was captured as part of the commissions work. But this is the first time one has been found, or found on this scale.

The entire story is pretty horrific and only goes to reinforce how awful the entire system/policy/structure was.

It will be interesting to see what is further revealed when/if they undertake excavation. As I understand it, the original discovery has been made using ground penetrating radar.

For more info on the story, here is a CBC article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6043778

Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: http://www.trc.ca

ltbewr

Re: Mass Unmarked Grave of 200+ Kids Found in Canada

Mon May 31, 2021 10:17 pm

I saw an article on the sad discovery on a USA website a few days ago. One of the worst factors in these First Nations Children residential schools (along with orphanages) throughout Canada (and to some extend in the USA, Colonized areas of Africa) was the immoral partnership of the Roman Catholic and other so called 'christian' churches and governments. For christian faith groups, it was to capture and convert as early as possible to the the RC faith to get a better place in the mythical heaven for those involve and for Governments to subjugate First Nations persons to the State and not rebel against it despite massive land and mineral wealth theft. The outing of these atrocities, perhaps part of the genocide of First Nations Persons is of great shame and no amount of reparations or has Canada done with designations and transfers of certain territories to those First Nations groups. will ever be enough. I hope the RC Church is ruined financially by this, they lose more of the faithful especially in Quebec, some areas of Ontario where strongest and the remains get the respectable re-interment or other cultural practice followed.

meecrob

Mon May 31, 2021 11:32 pm

The silver lining in this is that maybe it will bring awareness to this dark chapter. I know that growing up, I was unaware and thought things were hunky-dory. How wrong I was!

MaverickM11

Mon May 31, 2021 11:32 pm

I don't know about Canada but I'm guessing it's like the USA where we've barely even scratched the surface of the treatment of Native Americans, and incidents like this are horrifying but frankly commonplace in very recent history.
I don't take responsibility at all

meecrob

Mon May 31, 2021 11:53 pm

The worst part is that Natives only make the news when they are protesting their rights, so most non-natives see it as "oh look at these whiny people." That's why I hope this brings awareness!

johns624

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 am

ltbewr wrote:
I saw an article on the sad discovery on a USA website a few days ago. One of the worst factors in these First Nations Children residential schools (along with orphanages) throughout Canada (and to some extend in the USA, Colonized areas of Africa) was the immoral partnership of the Roman Catholic and other so called 'christian' churches and governments. For christian faith groups, it was to capture and convert as early as possible to the the RC faith to get a better place in the mythical heaven for those involve and for Governments to subjugate First Nations persons to the State and not rebel against it despite massive land and mineral wealth theft. The outing of these atrocities, perhaps part of the genocide of First Nations Persons is of great shame and no amount of reparations or has Canada done with designations and transfers of certain territories to those First Nations groups. will ever be enough. I hope the RC Church is ruined financially by this, they lose more of the faithful especially in Quebec, some areas of Ontario where strongest and the remains get the respectable re-interment or other cultural practice followed.
It wasn't just indigenous and 3rd World children. Read about the way that unwed mothers and their babies were treated by the RC Church and Irish government.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:46 am

johns624 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
It wasn't just indigenous and 3rd World children. Read about the way that unwed mothers and their babies were treated by the RC Church and Irish government.

Recommend the film ‘Philomena’ for anyone unaware of that nonsense.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aaron747

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:50 am

meecrob wrote:
The worst part is that Natives only make the news when they are protesting their rights, so most non-natives see it as "oh look at these whiny people." That's why I hope this brings awareness!

It’s ridiculous. And SJWs hardly mention NAs as well because there aren’t enough of them to be significant politically. They lose by treatment on all sides.

More awareness is absolutely key. The California genocide was only admitted by state leadership in 2019, despite having been studied and written about since the 1960s. In 4th grade CA history class, we were taught ridiculous nonsense like the Paiute, Miwok, and Chumash being the only significant tribal nations in the state. There were actually hundreds with substantial diversity. There’s no excuse.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Derico

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:58 am

You can't really blame non-western governments for saying "pot, kettle-- black" (although the should not because I guess that would be admitting something themselves).
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

meecrob

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 am

Aaron747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

It’s ridiculous. And SJWs hardly mention NAs as well because there aren’t enough of them to be significant politically. They lose by treatment on all sides.

More awareness is absolutely key. The California genocide was only admitted by state leadership in 2019, despite having been studied and written about since the 1960s. In 4th grade CA history class, we were taught ridiculous nonsense like the Paiute, Miwok, and Chumash being the only significant tribal nations in the state. There were actually hundreds with substantial diversity. There’s no excuse.

HAHA I hate to derail this but SJW's ruin it for the people who actually need recognition. Within 200 miles of me there are at least 5 Aboriginal "reserves" that do not have adequate water or even housing. I smoke and have gone there to get cheap smokes...its like stepping into the third world there. You see these places with holes in the roofs, or the aluminum siding obviously entered by rodents. And I'm sure someone will step in and say "Well we give them money, and their leaders just take all the money" Well no shit...just like every other colour of person...the rich ruin it for the rest....these people use a water pump...in 2021!

MaverickM11

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 am

meecrob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

HAHA I hate to derail this but SJW's ruin it for the people who actually need recognition. Within 200 miles of me there are at least 5 Aboriginal "reserves" that do not have adequate water or even housing. I smoke and have gone there to get cheap smokes...its like stepping into the third world there. You see these places with holes in the roofs, or the aluminum siding obviously entered by rodents. And I'm sure someone will step in and say "Well we give them money, and their leaders just take all the money" Well no shit...just like every other colour of person...the rich ruin it for the rest....these people use a water pump...in 2021!

How is this SJW's fault? This is the first year that the Tulsa Massacre has gotten any kind of broad publicity, and teaching any of these dark periods of history in school, whether perpetrated against blacks or Native Americans, results in one side frothing about Marxist critical race theory. We're just barely starting to scratch the surface, and for a lot of reasons I think in the USA we know about 1000x more about black history than we do of Native American history, none of which have anything to do with the scapegoat of the day SJWs.
I don't take responsibility at all

meecrob

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:23 am

Its not their fault, but therein lies the problem. they expose all these issues, but somehow not Natives. Its like they "forgot"

Kiwirob

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:35 am

Aaron747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Lets not forget the Polynesian population in Hawaii who had there country stolen by pineapple growers. They're had there rights dumped on as well, it's about time the Hawaiian independence movement became more vocal.

Aesma

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:40 am

The Catholic church is of course responsible (along with governments) however don't think it's because that church is evil. It would have happened with any of them, had they had enough power.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:40 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Lets not forget the Polynesian population in Hawaii who had there country stolen by pineapple growers. They're had there rights dumped on as well, it's about time the Hawaiian independence movement became more vocal.

Only other western countries have colonies, not the US, how dare you !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:06 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Native Hawaiian representatives have taken the US to court over the background documents and events of 1898 annexation repeatedly in recent years and consistently lose because they are asking federal courts to adjudicate political questions not in their purview. You can see how they went here:

https://hawaiiankingdom.org/sai-obama.shtml

https://casetext.com/case/hawaii-v-trum ... &type=case

https://casetext.com/case/sai-v-trump?_ ... &type=case

seb146

Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm

meecrob wrote:
Its not their fault, but therein lies the problem. they expose all these issues, but somehow not Natives. Its like they "forgot"

At this point, we don't know if there are unmarked graves of Natives like this in the United States. Any minorities, really. SJW want to bring atrocities like this to light. How is that a bad thing?

There was a report several years ago about the former Oregon State Hospital which housed those deemed mentally ill. Such as those with Downs, those with low IQs, those with learning disabilities... pretty much any reason to forget about someone. Anyway, several sealed cans were found in a dark corner of the basement. They were the cremated remains of those who passed while at the facility. I also remember hearing Natives tell of when they were beaten for speaking their own language and practicing their own faith.

It is extremely uncomfortable to hear about these things and talk about them. But, IMO, we must.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ltbewr

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Recommend the film ‘Philomena’ for anyone unaware of that nonsense.

Yes, I am aware of the unholy alliance and horrors of the Irish government (under the UK and as a Republic) and the RC Church as to 'homes for unwed mothers', orphanages. It is interesting that Pope Francis announced yesterday revisions in the church's Canon Law about 1000 years too late to make sexual and other abuse by priests and leadership in the RCC clearly 'illegal' and immoral.
As a previous poster noted, there are the too many deaths and cover ups at government run psychiatric hospitals, asylums and for the developmentally handicapped throughout the world, including the USA.

meecrob

Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

At this point, we don't know if there are unmarked graves of Natives like this in the United States. Any minorities, really. SJW want to bring atrocities like this to light. How is that a bad thing?

There was a report several years ago about the former Oregon State Hospital which housed those deemed mentally ill. Such as those with Downs, those with low IQs, those with learning disabilities... pretty much any reason to forget about someone. Anyway, several sealed cans were found in a dark corner of the basement. They were the cremated remains of those who passed while at the facility. I also remember hearing Natives tell of when they were beaten for speaking their own language and practicing their own faith.

It is extremely uncomfortable to hear about these things and talk about them. But, IMO, we must.

Its because as said upthread, SJW's pick and choose what will make the most waves, and Native issues rarely meet that criteria. I hear all this about LGBT or disabled issues, but not a peep about Natives. Like I said earlier, I lived most of my life not knowing this even happened and I feel kinda like a piece of crap for not knowing. This is real hard evidence of what happened, as opposed to what they tell you..like it was some melting pot and everything was voluntary.

seb146

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 am

meecrob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Its because as said upthread, SJW's pick and choose what will make the most waves, and Native issues rarely meet that criteria. I hear all this about LGBT or disabled issues, but not a peep about Natives. Like I said earlier, I lived most of my life not knowing this even happened and I feel kinda like a piece of crap for not knowing. This is real hard evidence of what happened, as opposed to what they tell you..like it was some melting pot and everything was voluntary.

Or is it this is convenient for non-SJW people? Look at all of the voter suppression laws being pushed all over the country by people who hate SJW and do not want to talk about the awful treatment of minorities. Look at the rules being adopted that keep public schools from teaching about the terrible things done to minorities. Mostly because "if we don't talk about it, it did not happen and those things make me uncomfortable". Yeah, well, it makes me uncomfortable, too, but we HAVE TO talk about it. It happened to people. All this talk of "all lives matter" and "respect life" and so on but we can't talk about what happened? All this death and violence? nope. There are two sides to every story. We all know the kumbayah story of how they went willingly because that is how the victors wrote history. Maybe SJW are simply telling people the uncomfortable side of what the victors left out?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:41 am

seb146 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Or is it this is convenient for non-SJW people? Look at all of the voter suppression laws being pushed all over the country by people who hate SJW and do not want to talk about the awful treatment of minorities. Look at the rules being adopted that keep public schools from teaching about the terrible things done to minorities. Mostly because "if we don't talk about it, it did not happen and those things make me uncomfortable". Yeah, well, it makes me uncomfortable, too, but we HAVE TO talk about it. It happened to people. All this talk of "all lives matter" and "respect life" and so on but we can't talk about what happened? All this death and violence? nope. There are two sides to every story. We all know the kumbayah story of how they went willingly because that is how the victors wrote history. Maybe SJW are simply telling people the uncomfortable side of what the victors left out?

Well no, that isn't exactly what's being said here. The fact these things happened or remain unaddressed are not SJWs' fault, but it is a bone of contention with those of us passionate about social progress that SJWs (particularly the uni student variety) tend to be laser-focused and vocal on two or three main issues. Native American/First Nations issues have always taken a back seat, because these communities are not very visible, and their potential to make parties like Green and others capture political growth is inherently limited. Always remember there are those who are active in these causes because they genuinely care, and those who are active because they want to belong / pursue influence. The same is true on the 'other' side.

The NA experience deserves more attention than fleeting interest every 10 years and a couple museums in every state.