Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Vladex
Topic Author

Anonymous letter of Delta employee to a CEO.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:11 pm

I found it on a random website. It seems authentic but still anonymous and certainly something that I would feel if I was working in a company that turned political which inevitably goes oppressive and authoritarian.

jfern022

Re: Anonymous letter of Delta employee to a CEO.

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:15 pm

What an absolute kook.

jbs2886

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:21 pm

Lol can't even spell the airline name correctly.

BWIAirport

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:22 pm

Gonna be hard to keep this thread clear of politics but still worth a discussion. Essentially, the letter seems to ask why are employees prohibited from expressing political views but the company itself can do whatever they want. Which is a valid question, and also one that transcends any one industry.

catiii

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:23 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Lol can't even spell the airline name correctly.

Or the CEO's last name in the text of the letter...

PANAMsterdam

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:26 pm

Can you imagine still misspelling your employer’s name, Delta Air Lines, after 20+ years?

maverick4002

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:26 pm

You usually know you have a point when people start commenting on your looks, or your language....or your spelling typos and not the actual subject of your complaint / argument.

joeblow10

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:27 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Gonna be hard to keep this thread clear of politics but still worth a discussion. Essentially, the letter seems to ask why are employees prohibited from expressing political views but the company itself can do whatever they want. Which is a valid question, and also one that transcends any one industry.

Fully agree. This thread will descend and probably be gone in an hour... but it’s a very valid discussion. Even if the letter sounds kind of kooky.

The second to last paragraph raises the valid point that Ed has been expressing his views in public for the past year, but it’s frowned upon for the employees who may feel the opposite

gregn21

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:36 pm

Not the most well written letter by any means, but I do agree with the general sentiment toward Bastian, DL, and other US airlines getting way too political over the last few years. Totally unnecessary and very likely counterproductive from a sales and marketing standpoint.

Brickell305

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:39 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
You usually know you have a point when people start commenting on your looks, or your language....or your spelling typos and not the actual subject of your complaint / argument.

On the subject of the letter itself, the writer sounds like a nutjob. CEOs/corporations have been publicly expressing political views for decades now. We even have a Supreme Court ruling that enshrines that first amendment right. The issue now seems to be that people who previously agreed with what those corporations and CEOs were saying and the causes to which they were donating, no longer agree and now want them to keep out of politics. As for employees being able to express their political beliefs, companies are allowed to set whatever restrictions they please on their employees in that regard. That's been the case forever. The first amendment does not protect you against action taken by private entities. Again, it only seems to be an issue now because one side no longer seems to agree with that.

CALMSP

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:41 pm

gregn21 wrote:
Not the most well written letter by any means, but I do agree with the general sentiment toward Bastian, DL, and other US airlines getting way too political over the last few years. Totally unnecessary and very likely counterproductive from a sales and marketing standpoint.

agreed, between Bastian and Kirby, I feel their political opinions are taking way more time than running the airline itself.

Brickell305

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:43 pm

gregn21 wrote:

I disagree on the sales/marketing. Thanks to market consolidation, passengers have very few options. If people don't like what the airlines are doing, they can drive, walk, sail or swim to their destination. I doubt many people will choose one of those alternatives.

jbs2886

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 pm

maverick4002 wrote:

Quite the opposite with writing. If the writer cannot even spell the airline name and CEO name correctly, it is a fair assumption that the entire premise of the document is similarly faulty, which is precisely the case here.

jbs2886

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:51 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

Fully agree. This thread will descend and probably be gone in an hour... but it’s a very valid discussion. Even if the letter sounds kind of kooky.

The second to last paragraph raises the valid point that Ed has been expressing his views in public for the past year, but it’s frowned upon for the employees who may feel the opposite

Note how the letter doesn't describe the speech of the flight attendant, which I suspect the vast majority of DL customers would find objectionable. Political speech is not ipso facto an issue, its when that speech is extremely problematic. Based on the content of the letter, I assume the speech was incredibly racist. We need to stop treating the two as the same.

kalvado

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
gregn21 wrote:

I disagree on the sales/marketing. Thanks to market consolidation, passengers have very few options. If people don't like what the airlines are doing, they can drive, walk, sail or swim to their destination. I doubt many people will choose one of those alternatives.

Or ask representatives to withhold public funds from politically active companies. After all, it works that way for 501(c)(3) such as churches - they can enjoy the status or be politically active, not both.
If any company gets tax money AND makes political donation, it amounts to a kickback...

NLINK

Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:56 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
Can you imagine still misspelling your employer’s name, Delta Air Lines, after 20+ years?

There are certain people in charge here that can't spell Delta's name correctly lol.

airlinepeanuts

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Lol, I can't imagine how many letters and emails just like this the executives at airlines get. Tons of kooks working for them, I know many who talk about how the airline was better pre-merger or the good ol days, etc etc etc and these are usually the people who get paid the most and work the least. Nixon once said “To me, the unhappiest people in the world are those... Drinking too much, talking too much, thinking too little.”

SESGDL

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

On the subject of the letter itself, the writer sounds like a nutjob. CEOs/corporations have been publicly expressing political views for decades now. We even have a Supreme Court ruling that enshrines that first amendment right. The issue now seems to be that people who previously agreed with what those corporations and CEOs were saying and the causes to which they were donating, no longer agree and now want them to keep out of politics. As for employees being able to express their political beliefs, companies are allowed to set whatever restrictions they please on their employees in that regard. That's been the case forever. The first amendment does not protect you against action taken by private entities. Again, it only seems to be an issue now because one side no longer seems to agree with that.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Couldn't have been stated better.

Jeremy

n9801f

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:23 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

Quite the opposite with writing. If the writer cannot even spell the airline name and CEO name correctly, it is a fair assumption that the entire premise of the document is similarly faulty, which is precisely the case here.

Yes, Delta and its officers must be understandably keen to use any means to discredit the author.

Yet despite spelling errors, many points seem logical.

Delta is losing money at an astonishing rate. For YE 1Q21, according to SEC filings, its losses were bigger than any other US airline.

Delta is #1 in losses.

And the letter makes it sound like leaders are focusing on policy rather than finances. But thin margins in this industry offer no mercy to any "big picture" thinkers who gloss over details; that last dime you do/don't squeeze out is your profit. Or loss.

As a shareholder, I hope Delta management focuses objectively, dispassionately, seriously, and exclusively on business. There is no time or energy to waste on scheming intrigue of any kind.

Current financial results do not disprove a lack of focus on business. Hopefully this management will simply diligently put its head down and take serious steps to improve results.

wjcandee

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:28 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

That's absurd. And it fits the oh-so-superior "demean the person rather than argue the idea" way those who espouse failed and false policies conduct themselves.

"Inclusion" means addressing and involving those who have ideas other than one's own ideas. This My Team Your Team crap precludes compromise. The concerns expressed in the letter deserve scrutiny, whether it's constitutionally-sound or not. If the author said that he objected to his company's "craven pandering, either due to non-inclusive executive viewpoints or alternatively out of fear of reprisal from the Administration, lenders, activist investors, etc.", would that better-articulated statement be well-spelled enough to trigger a genuine discussion of valid concerns?

PixelPilot

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
Lol, I can't imagine how many letters and emails just like this the executives at airlines get. Tons of kooks working for them, I know many who talk about how the airline was better pre-merger or the good ol days, etc etc etc and these are usually the people who get paid the most and work the least. Nixon once said “To me, the unhappiest people in the world are those... Drinking too much, talking too much, thinking too little.”

Was it Confucius??
"When a wise man points at the moon, an..."

TomJoel

As a former executive, I've seen this before. To me, this "anonymous letter" is nothing more than a joke. This individual feels the company is not going in the direction they think it should, and they feel left out. First off, this employee should be terminated immediately. Secondly, the bologna about inclusion and promotion of political viewpoints is hogwash too. Yes, executives can do what they want; that's why they're executives. They earned that right, and this employee needs to learn their place and be quiet.

maverick4002

Brickell305 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

The whole point was that an employee was allegedly fired for political comments (a republicant at that), outside of work, not wearing the uniform or anything and the CEO does the same. I cant believe yall have me here defending a Republican!

maverick4002

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:48 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

youre reaching with that conclusion you jumped to. Let me get you a step stool

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:55 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

The whole point was that an employee was allegedly fired for political comments (a republicant at that), outside of work, not wearing the uniform or anything and the CEO does the same. I cant believe yall have me here defending a Republican!

I don't know that we have enough to conclude (one way or the other) whether the writer was fired for political comments or whether the writer was fired for comments that transcend the bounds of common decency. Although it's becoming increasingly difficult lately, one can at least theoretically be a Republican without expressing socially unacceptable (racist, etc.) views. And it seems to me that business are much more justified in regulating those sorts of views than they are in regulating the politics of their employees.

Newark727

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

In any other circumstance, the right would be rushing to explain why treating management (the company) and labor (the employees) differently is highly necessary and how the corporation's freedoms have to be protected. If this thread stays open we're going to have a whole lot of accidental radical leftists!

Jetport

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:00 pm

If Hobby Lobby can reach into your bedroom, Delta can certainly fire you for political statements.

Newark727

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 pm

...also, "mandate how customers chew their food?" There is something I'm missing here.

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:07 pm

I don't think anyone likes Ed, besides some fanboys of the company. He does not and will not have the respect that Richard Anderson had.

rampbro

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Newark727 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

In any other circumstance, the right would be rushing to explain why treating management (the company) and labor (the employees) differently is highly necessary and how the corporation's freedoms have to be protected. If this thread stays open we're going to have a whole lot of accidental radical leftists!

At least it won't be the socio-marxists, I hear they are the worst :lol:

SEU

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:22 pm

People like the writer of that letter actually exist unfortunately.

Aesma

Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:33 pm

That person seems right wing/extreme right. The right wing in the US since at least the 80's has had one objective only and carried it out very well : give as much power to companies as possible, and remove as much power from employees as possible.

Complaining about the consequences of the causes you champion is a bit ridiculous.

casinterest

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:29 pm

It seems to me that there are quite a few people that do not understand the term at-will-employment. Freedom of speech is not one of the protected classes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

MaverickM11

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:29 pm

Tell me you're crazy without telling me you're crazy. And use all the words.

phatfarmlines

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:04 pm

Jetport wrote:
If Hobby Lobby can reach into your bedroom, Delta can certainly fire you for political statements.

:checkmark: Great analogy.

Newark727 wrote:
...also, "mandate how customers chew their food?" There is something I'm missing here.

Likely a reference to releasing the mask only when eating and drinking inflight.

PPVRA

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:26 pm

1. It’s a private company, period.

2. I doubt they said anything they believe would go against stockholder’s interest. It’s not what management is hired to do.

LCDFlight

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:57 pm

The one decent point many of us might agree with is that private companies should not become merged with political regimes. That happens in enough terrible countries. We don't need it in the USA.

The employee has one vote. Delta has zero. Employee 1, Delta 0 (and accurately called on it).

Aaron747

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 am

LCDFlight wrote:
The one decent point many of us might agree with is that private companies should not become merged with political regimes. That happens in enough terrible countries. We don't need it in the USA.

The employee has one vote. Delta has zero. Employee 1, Delta 0 (and accurately called on it).

Sounds like you would support overturn of Citizens United. The one salient point from the majority opinion was that private companies can and sometimes need a political voice because, pray tell, they are comprised of individuals, who may, as a group, share particular views. For those saying companies should stay out of anything cultural or political, I ask: just because they are a business they should keep a lid on views, when other non-business organizations don't have to? That's pretty illogical. Companies, advertising, etc. have played a major role in fomenting cultural change in America, particularly from the 20th century on. People may not like the direction change is going, sure, but that has little to do with how things actually work in society.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:14 am

Large companies have employees with a wide range of political and social views. The 'writer' of this letter probably objects to Delta executive decisions to the attempts by Republican politicians in their HQ state of Georgia to limit the right to vote, something that may hurt them from recruiting employees, especially Black persons and to work in Georgia.

casinterest

Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 am

ltbewr wrote:
Large companies have employees with a wide range of political and social views. The 'writer' of this letter probably objects to Delta executive decisions to the attempts by Republican politicians in their HQ state of Georgia to limit the right to vote, something that may hurt them from recruiting employees, especially Black persons and to work in Georgia.

I think the writer of this letter is partially asking for employee control of the company. Kind of like forming a union or socialist party.

One thing I have noticed of late is how much of the low income members of the Trump party are starting to sound very pro union, and anti-business.

Francoflier

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:27 am

LCDFlight wrote:

But only if that company favors the political side you're not on, right?

Because otherwise you would be absolutely outraged by all these companies and businesses openly supporting the MAGA movement... I'm guessing.

The thing is, none of the points in that letter are of any validity whatsoever.
A business can publically say and support what it wants and get political if it pleases, as long as it is happy to bear the consequences of their stance, which many are not, so they mostly stay away from politics.

Besides DL only opposed a political move which happens to be detrimental to its own business. How some people interpret this as them openly supporting the other side is puzzling at best, and an indication of their own political insecurities at worst.

seb146

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:49 am

So the letter writer is offended and wants to cancel people because Delta decided to include ALL Americans instead of simply limiting it to a few. The letter writer decided it is more important that a major world wide airline buy into the big lie than bring in all people.

They can work for Air Koryo if they feel that strongly.

B777LRF

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:49 am

Until such time a company is paying for my services 24/7/365 they have no place interfering with, or having an opinion on, what I do in my free time, provided it's within the boundaries of the law. They are, naturally, free to regulate my behaviour (up to a certain point) when I'm on the clock which, in my neck of the woods and in my current job, is Monday to Friday from 0800 to 1600.

If I, in my own time, decide to become political and espouse my political views that's absolutely none of their business, and should they decide to terminate me for legal acts carried out in my own time, we would soon meet in court and they would lose the case big time.

Then again, I live in a civilised country.

stl07

Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:18 am

So why was LADY MAGA fired? It can't be because she was a MAGA. I'm sure there are more MAGAs at DL. They are located in the south for crying out loud. I think that once I have a clear answer of this, that I can begin to understand everything else

Aaron747

Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:29 am

B777LRF wrote:
Until such time a company is paying for my services 24/7/365 they have no place interfering with, or having an opinion on, what I do in my free time, provided it's within the boundaries of the law. They are, naturally, free to regulate my behaviour (up to a certain point) when I'm on the clock which, in my neck of the woods and in my current job, is Monday to Friday from 0800 to 1600.

If I, in my own time, decide to become political and espouse my political views that's absolutely none of their business, and should they decide to terminate me for legal acts carried out in my own time, we would soon meet in court and they would lose the case big time.

Then again, I live in a civilised country.

In the US, employment law is quite clear, particularly in at-will employment states. The First Amendment applies only to government regulation of speech - there is no coverage for private regulation. So long as employers have clear written policies regarding what they consider acceptable conduct at and outside of work, termination on those grounds will be valid if challenged in court. The precedent has been upheld time and again.

Obviously when there is a union things are a little more complicated, but this is the general principle.

scbriml

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:27 am

LCDFlight wrote:

The only way you can avoid that is by banning private companies from making donations to individual politicians or political parties. Can't have one without the other.

n9801f

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:44 am

@Aaron747

It may not be nearly so clear cut as you make it sound. See attached from the Harvard Business Review.

If employees sued after being discharged for moderate off-duty, out-of-uniform political speech, depending on the situation (and possibly state), HBR makes it sound like they might win.

hbr.org/1988/01/when-can-you-fire-for-off-duty-conduct

But there would probably be negative image and labor relations consequences well before that. (Unionization?)

The rub is that Delta claims it encourages diversity and citizenship. But punishing people for political participation would strongly suggest otherwise.

Number6

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:56 am

It seems Delta doesn’t really have an agenda against the right. Check out this story about a very left wing flight attendant fired for pretty much the same thing, messages on social media.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ju ... ook-trolls

As for Lady Maga, I can only find a source on why they were fired from an interview won NewsMax……so I’m not taking it too seriously, but I will say that lady maga’s Facebook lists them as the following
“ I am a Patriot. I love America. I love the Constitution. I'm a free speech absolutist. I'm a trained journalist. I'm also a theatrical drag artist and I use my creative skills to draw attention to the importance of defending American freedom and ideals”

Lady Maga has posts decrying pride month as obnoxious, says the Q in LGBTIQ means nothing and is solely there as a ‘recruiting tool’ , and my personal favourite just from her recent feed, a story from a white South African ‘refugee!’ Warning America that ‘they’re next!’ In having the country destroyed by those pesky black people.

So yeah, I can see why Delta May have fired her.

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:15 am

n9801f wrote:

The rub is that Delta claims it encourages diversity and citizenship. But punishing people for political participation would strongly suggest otherwise.

No, no rub whatsoever. Holding people accountable for intolerant and anti-diversity viewpoints is what is required to support diversity. Tolerance is not, and never has, been meant to protect racists, regressives, agitators, etc.. This is not a complex concept, though for some, there is a feigned difficulty in seeing that.

If someone like Ryan Woods gets sacked for identifying as a DL employee while engaging in extremist rhetoric, DL has a right to discharge that. In fact, that would probably be closer to a duty, as failure to do so would be a tacit endorsement of the same, and by extension, and endorsement of the bullying problems MAGA tends to bring along with it.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am

n9801f wrote:
@Aaron747

It may not be nearly so clear cut as you make it sound. See attached from the Harvard Business Review.

If employees sued after being discharged for moderate off-duty, out-of-uniform political speech, depending on the situation (and possibly state), HBR makes it sound like they might win.

hbr.org/1988/01/when-can-you-fire-for-off-duty-conduct

But there would probably be negative image and labor relations consequences well before that. (Unionization?)

Aside from that article being over 30 years old, the cases it highlights support my point. So long as there is a written policy or written communications to employees/public have made the company's position clear, a proper nexus is established. I'm not a lawyer, but have been in HR long enough to know when and where this can be applied. From your link:

On the other hand, when the employer can establish a logical, if not obvious, connection between the on-duty behavior and the offender’s job, it can often safely punish the person and make the punishment stick

In this case, the 'rub' isn't politics the company disagrees with, it's divisiveness. This is the nexus companies have used to terminate employees vociferously advocating both MAGA and BLM narratives online. BODs basically don't like employees that invite extreme reactions. An example cited in a post above as well from the flight attendant's posts:

Lady Maga has posts decrying pride month as obnoxious, says the Q in LGBTIQ means nothing and is solely there as a ‘recruiting tool’ , and my personal favourite just from her recent feed, a story from a white South African ‘refugee!’ Warning America that ‘they’re next!’ In having the country destroyed by those pesky black people.

All of these comments are demonstrably divisive and would also be subject to dismissal at my employer.