Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning
Topic Author

Dash Cams

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:48 am

After a particularly hair-raising experience in traffic today, I realize that I would like a dash cam because, frankly, I doubt anyone would believe the way that some local drivers behave. Today, a lady just pulled out into a left turn right in front of me, blew a stop sign, and forced me to slam on the brakes. I missed her (or rather, she missed me) by centimeters.

So I'm looking into a dash cam. Here's what I want:

1) Must be trivially easy to install. I'm a (gay Jewish) doctor, not a mechanic.
2) I do not want it to record me driving. Privacy concerns and what-not.
3) I would prefer automatic upload to phone or cloud, but overall ease of use is paramount.

Your recommendations?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Re: Dash Cams

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:58 am

Doc, I bought this last year:

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00X528FNE ... UTF8&psc=1

It is easy to install, but I bought the separate wiring kit so that it would come on when I started the car or when there was an impact with the car off. That installation is a little bit more involved, but should be within the capabilities of someone that:

-can find their fuse box...sometimes not a trivial thing on newer cars
-comfortable working with the interior linings and closures on the car so you can hide the wire, only because I like a nice clean interior. I hate exposed wiring.

It does not have auto-upload, but the interface to the phone is simple and the app pretty intuitive. You can also install a card that you can walk away with.

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's a staring point.

I will add, that if you use the wiring kit, you'll need to identify 2 fuses. One that is always HOT and one that is hot when the ignition switch is in the ON position. Pretty easy to deduce from your owner's manual.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

cjg225

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:58 am

I've not given it a huge amount of thought, but I've at least pondered a dash cam a bit. I'm in the same boat for ease of installation. I really don't want to be messing around with hiding wiring or connecting into the fuse box of the car if there are any reliable devices that avoid that. Even if it's a "the operator has to turn it on and off every time," that's better to me than messing with wiring.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

ltbewr

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Dash cams have become normal in many commercial vehicles and for sure in places like Russia by many car owners due to too much bad driving by others.

slider

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Doc- do it yourself. Not hard to do and you can be guaranteed it will be done right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J3L2JN/?c ... _lig_dp_it

These hardwiring kits are easy to install, the wiring harnesses and fuse interface is plug and play, and you won't get battery drain. The biggest challenge is probably running the wires discreetly.

fr8mech

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:43 pm

slider wrote:
Doc- do it yourself. Not hard to do and you can be guaranteed it will be done right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J3L2JN/?c ... _lig_dp_it

These hardwiring kits are easy to install, the wiring harnesses and fuse interface is plug and play, and you won't get battery drain. The biggest challenge is probably running the wires discreetly.

I’d be careful with saying it’s easy. It was easy for me, and probably anybody with a modicum of technical skill and knowledge, but getting into the fuse box can be tricky. I blew a fuse doing this install. The fuse interface didn’t fit in my box, so I wound up doing some splicing. Poop happens.

I mean, I’m sure doing a blood draw is a no-brainer for the doc, but not quite so for me. It’s all about training, experience and confidence. If you’re lacking in any of the three, it’s not so easy.

Doc, this camera does not need to be hardwired to work. It will plug into a 12V outlet. You just lose a little functionality and automation. I did buy the suction cup mount vs. the adhesive mount it comes with. Not a fan of sticking things to the windshield.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:22 am

I got this for free from my sister. It doesn't upload to the cloud (SD card only), but you can access it via WiFi and download the videos onto your phone. Video quality is not bad too. And in terms of installation, it's laughably easy since it is powered by via your lighter socket via a USB charger.

For a beginner's camera, this is great value for money.

https://www.amazon.com/70mai-Cameras-G- ... cs&sr=1-37
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

hoons90

Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 am

Like many other things, it can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. The most basic setup would be to get a cheap suction cup mount dashcam on Amazon for $30 that you can hook up to your 12V port. Or, you could get a more advanced Blackvue or Thinkware model that has both front and rear cameras and hooks up to the car's battery. You can also set up the dashcam to record when the car is turned off (parking mode). There are devices that cut off power to the dashcam before the car's battery becomes fully discharged. You can also install a separate battery pack for the dashcam (Cellink).

If you want to go the more sophisticated route and don't mind paying for installation, most shops that install aftermarket security systems on cars should be able to install it for you.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

cpd

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:27 am

DocLightning wrote:
After a particularly hair-raising experience in traffic today, I realize that I would like a dash cam because, frankly, I doubt anyone would believe the way that some local drivers behave. Today, a lady just pulled out into a left turn right in front of me, blew a stop sign, and forced me to slam on the brakes. I missed her (or rather, she missed me) by centimeters.

1) Must be trivially easy to install. I'm a (gay Jewish) doctor, not a mechanic.
3) I would prefer automatic upload to phone or cloud, but overall ease of use is paramount.

Your recommendations?

I would certainly believe it. Some drivers are absolute idiots - especially with the MGIF attitude, SMIDST or worse, the SMIDGAF.

MGIF = must get in front
SMIDSY = sorry mate I didn't see you
SMIIDGAF = sorry mate I don't give a f......
DILLIGAF = do I look like I give a .....

Sounds like your case was one of the latter two or three. The other type that are good are the "I U-turn now, good luck to you" drivers...

You need multiple cameras to get all the angles. Think of the performance in low light where it might be difficult to get rego-plates. Cameras that record you might not be so bad either if you encounter a dodgy Police officer or someone else trying to set you up, then you have clear evidence in your favour.

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:32 am

DocLightning wrote:

Your recommendations?

Maybe I should have quoted you instead of paraphrasing your comment. Get one one professionally installed, then you know it's going to work properly and they can hide all the wiring.

If you want a quality product the Garmin cameras are hard to beat.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/c/automoti ... p-cameras/

https://youtu.be/MY9Mah8HT7c

Maloak33

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:17 am

DocLightning wrote:

Your recommendations?

Can't see why you had to include that you are a "gay Jewish" whatever...
Last edited by Maloak33 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

fr8mech

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:26 am

Maloak33 wrote:

Because, those of us that have been here a couple of decades with Doc know him and know that he likes playing the stereotype. He's done it before and he'll do it again. He's comfortable with who he is and, quite simply, so are we.

He doesn't play the victim, because he isn't one.

It gave me, and I'm sure others, a chuckle.

Maloak33

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:30 am

fr8mech wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:

Because, those of us that have been here a couple of decades with Doc know him and know that he likes playing the stereotype. He's done it before and he'll do it again. He's comfortable with who he is and, quite simply, so are we.

...then in that case, I retract my previous statement.
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

B777LRF

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:00 am

To put it in a language a doctor of medicine might appreciate:

I can go to the old "wise" lady in the village with my ailments, and ask her to treat it with a spot of praying, prodding and crystals. That's the self-install method. Alternatively, I can visit a doctor of medicine and get him or her to treat me properly. That's the professionally installed method.

The choice is yours.
Signature. You just read one.

Virtual737

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:10 am

I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Andriod-Car-Dash-Navigation/dp/B08HNL9753 a few years ago and have to say it is superb.

Admittedly it is far more than just a dashcam (and you need to buy the camera separately from them and have it all professionally installed), but having dashcam, reversing cam, recording, full Android OS, YouTube, radio, hands free Google Maps etc etc etc all on one device with an amazing large screen is something I can now not do without. I connect mine to a dongle and have live internet in the car. Being an Android you can install pretty much anything on it like Netflix etc.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:33 pm

Find a good quality dash cam set and take it to local auto electronics installer to get those hardwired. I would say $100-$200 is worth the investment. I paid $50 in Michigan 6-7 years back.

I wouldn't suggest DIY hard-wiring. A-Pillar has airbags, running wire behind A-Pillar without disconnecting battery and discharging residual power is unsafe because you may accidentally inflate airbag.

Also, don't buy cheap cameras based on Amazon reviews. Use a site like https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/
All posts are just opinions.

slider

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:10 pm

Maloak33 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:

...then in that case, I retract my previous statement.

It was a chuckle, but it also reinforces stereotypes in an unfortunate manner, IMO.

But Doc's good people.

T18

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:40 pm

I bought a YI model off Amazon and a micro sd card, it supposedly syncs with smart phones (don't have one to use it as such) but can just pull the card if I need anything, it was all simple and plug and play, if you can set up a RADAR detector, or a tom tom GPS you can do this.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:57 am

I bought this one last year after a near miss myself (and watching many dashcam videos). It meets 2/3 of the conditions set.

Rove

Only drawback is the slow playback/downloading. And the resolution is good enough if you all you care about is seeing who did what rather than reading the plates. The resolution is good, but not THAT detailed.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

meecrob

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:53 pm

DocLightning wrote:

I think it perfectly says "does it look like I'm gonna be futzing with wiring? I want to press a button and it turns on" and that is a very valid consideration. People value words too much these days...they are just stumbling ways we try to get our point across with

Edit: Sorry I don't have any suggestions...I like fucking around with wiring so anything I like is the polar opposite of what you are looking for.

usair1489

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:46 pm

I bought an Apeman dash cam from Amazon. It is simple to use and install (it comes with both the suction cup and a more permanent mount) and is powered by the car's 12V outlet/cigarette lighter. Instead of the 12V source, I took a spare cable and connected the dash cam to an external 10,000 mah power bank, which snaps onto my windshield via locking Velcro and the battery lasts at least five to six hours, maybe more. I did that because in many jurisdictions police may cite you for having something blocking your view of the windshield (or something like that), so to prevent that, the dash cam is hidden behind the rear view mirror.