Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

New phone- help me choose

Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:58 pm

Hello all,

My LG finally died on me and I need to replace my device. I am due for an upgrade so cost isn't a big issue. I am torn between the Samsung S21 Ultra and the I-phone 12 pro max....

I am familiar and comfortable with both IOS and Android and we aren't tied into one ecosystem or the other.

If you had the choice which would you go with and why?

Thanks in advance!

NIKV69

Re: New phone- help me choose

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:38 pm

Why not stay with LG few years ago I ditched the Galaxy for the LG and never looked back.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

Flaps

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Why not stay with LG few years ago I ditched the Galaxy for the LG and never looked back.

LG has stopped making phones.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3613951 ... hones.html

flyingclrs727

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:30 am

The only reason I stayed with Samsung and LG previously was due to the ability to swap batteries. For whatever reason manufacturers got rid of the ability of end users to swap batteries. I got a OpePlus 7 Pro in 2019. I have never needed to exchange it for servicing. My previous Samsung and LG phones tended to have serious problems within a year. The biggest problem I have with the OnePlus is that it uses a proprietary method of fast charging that limits me to using special chargers and USB-C cables that are limited in length.

NIKV69

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:20 am

Flaps wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Ugh! Every time I get something I like this happens!

Aaron747

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:37 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Flaps wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Don't worry, Nikon will never stop making cameras!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tommy1808

Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:06 am

aaden wrote:
I am torn between the Samsung S21 Ultra

Just having chosen a new phone I decided against the Ultra and just went for the plus. The ultra advantages are rather slim, and Samsung royally screwed up the cameras on the ultra with a quality roller coaster when zooming.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:58 am

tommy1808 wrote:
aaden wrote:

Just having chosen a new phone I decided against the Ultra and just went for the plus. The ultra advantages are rather slim, and Samsung royally screwed up the cameras on the ultra with a quality roller coaster when zooming.

Best regards
Thomas

And I chose the other way around. The iPhone just doesn't feel right in my hands, and Apple's crusade against right to repair really rub me the wrong way.

Also, I honestly have no issues with the Ultra's camera when zooming. I just don't use more than 10x zoom.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

tommy1808

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:24 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
aaden wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

And I chose the other way around. The iPhone just doesn't feel right in my hands, and Apple's crusade against right to repair really rub me the wrong way.

yeah, iPhone is a no-go for me in any case as it is made in China.

Also, I honestly have no issues with the Ultra's camera when zooming. I just don't use more than 10x zoom.

Oh.. at higher zoom the Ultra is fine, my concern is the rubbish quality between ~2 and 2.999999 times zoom.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

JJJ

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:53 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
The only reason I stayed with Samsung and LG previously was due to the ability to swap batteries. For whatever reason manufacturers got rid of the ability of end users to swap batteries. I got a OpePlus 7 Pro in 2019.

I'm still on my oneplus 5T from '17 that still runs smooth.

I'm very likely to get a Oneplus again for my next phone. My work phone is an iPhone XR but there are still many things about the Apple ecosystem that rub me the wrong way.

Aesma

Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:58 am

I find the highest end devices too expensive for what they do. But I'm not spending hours on my phone every day, so that might play a role. I can't really afford them (I could, but that would mean cutting something else) but even if I could, I would only buy them for the convenience of "I buy the best so no need to look for the right one for me, it will be right in any case".

End of 2019 when I bought my last phone I spent time instead of money, a few days reading reviews and looking at the website https://www.gsmarena.com/

Taking a colleague's iPhone 8 Plus in hand I found it too heavy (as I thought) so I limited myself to around 180g. Needless to say the pro max and s21 ultra are way above that. I absolutely wanted a µSD card slot.

I ended up choosing a Samsung Galaxy A51 128GB for about 350€ back then. It does everything I need and more, I don't fear losing it or being robbed, if I break it I can afford a newer one without too much sweating. I added a 512GB card for music.

The only thing I miss is wireless charging but brands want to keep it for their flagships, or it might make the phone too heavy, so I go without. I just bought a couple of "magsafe style" USB-C cables.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Aesma wrote:
I find the highest end devices too expensive for what they do. But I'm not spending hours on my phone every day, so that might play a role. I can't really afford them (I could, but that would mean cutting something else) but even if I could, I would only buy them for the convenience of "I buy the best so no need to look for the right one for me, it will be right in any case".

End of 2019 when I bought my last phone I spent time instead of money, a few days reading reviews and looking at the website https://www.gsmarena.com/

Taking a colleague's iPhone 8 Plus in hand I found it too heavy (as I thought) so I limited myself to around 180g. Needless to say the pro max and s21 ultra are way above that. I absolutely wanted a µSD card slot.

I ended up choosing a Samsung Galaxy A51 128GB for about 350€ back then. It does everything I need and more, I don't fear losing it or being robbed, if I break it I can afford a newer one without too much sweating. I added a 512GB card for music.

The only thing I miss is wireless charging but brands want to keep it for their flagships, or it might make the phone too heavy, so I go without. I just bought a couple of "magsafe style" USB-C cables.

Do you know you can add a wireless charging adapter for $13 and have your phone do wireless charging too?

https://www.amazon.com/Version-Wireless ... 709&sr=8-1

Aesma

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Yeah but it's clumsy.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:06 pm

I like the android, sometimes klunky but no kludges. Apple wants to do things 'their' way, I like to do them my way. Android obliges. But in '18 got a '19 RAV4 with all the safety devices and at that time it worked best with an iPhone. So I suffer along doing things Jobs the Jerk's way. My kids like Apples so there are some advantages to my wife and I having one. An illustration, to a hard turn off of most other phones just hold the on/off button for about 5 seconds. The jerk's way, and I am not sure I have this straight, push the off button, on the other side of the phone push a volume button, then swipe the screen but only in the proper direction.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

ANITIX87

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:20 pm

Google Pixel 5 has blown me away over the last 6 weeks. I looked at the Samsung (and some other Android options) but they're all either twice the price or way too big (I had a Pixel 2 XL and wanted something no bigger than that, smaller if possible).
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

northstardc4m

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 pm

Samsung A52 is worth a look over the S21... It has a couple classic features the S21 doesn't, like sdcard slot and 3.5mm jack, with just some slightly lower specs overall and a significant price drop.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

airtechy

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:40 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Samsung A52 is worth a look over the S21... It has a couple classic features the S21 doesn't, like sdcard slot and 3.5mm jack, with just some slightly lower specs overall and a significant price drop.

Unfortunately, it also does not have 5G.The A52 5G does. Regards the SD card, I tallied up all the stuff .. pictures, videos, etc.. in my existing HTC 10 phone (ancient I know!) and it came to less than 2GB including the SD card so I decided that 256GB was more than I will ever need. I have a bluetooth headset so the jack doesn't affect me and if it does I will get an adapter.

Also, the S21 is both GSM and CDMA. I am now on Sprint (CDMA) .. at least until T-Mobile moves Sprinter's over to their net. but the GSM will be needed when I travel to Asia.

In my case, I tend to keep a phone until the paint has worn off the case (I've taken the HTC apart twice and replaced the battery!) so I buy near the top of the line and hope I will be happy with it for years. I just bought the S21 Plus so we will see. ;)

Samsung A52 5G

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a52_5g-10631.php

Samsung S21 Plus 5G

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s21+_5g-10625.php

System07

Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:18 pm

I’ve got an iPhone 8 Plus that I love. Will be buying the new one that comes out this Fall just because it’s time. But it’s been absolutely flawless. I have to charge it more often but what other electrical device that’s used many hours a day every single day for almost five years straight won’t do that. I don’t even care that I can’t easily replace the battery since this works after five years. Rarely ever turned off. On latest software. It just works. As have the couple other iPhones I’ve had. I don’t care about massive customization and the ecosystem works great with things. I even accidentally shut it in the tailgate hinge of my truck and it smashed the glass on my camera and still takes pretty good pictures.
I also got an Apple Watch SE a couple months ago for health tracking and GPS on my bike rides and I love it.
Take that for what you will

1337Delta764

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:59 pm

Loyal Samsung customer. I have the S21+. I didn't feel I needed the extras the Ultra had over the Plus, so I got the Plus, although I got the 256GB variant. I upgraded from a Galaxy Note 8.

Revelation

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm

ANITIX87 wrote:
Google Pixel 5 has blown me away over the last 6 weeks. I looked at the Samsung (and some other Android options) but they're all either twice the price or way too big (I had a Pixel 2 XL and wanted something no bigger than that, smaller if possible).

I'm really happy with the Google Pixel 3A XL I've been rocking for a good year or so now. I like the relatively low cost relative to 'flagship' phones, high level of features including 3mm jack, great battery life, 'pay as you go' Google Fi service, and rapid updates to the newest Android software free of the bloatware that came with my previous Samsung/Verizon phone.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

L0VE2FLY

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Flaps wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Did you also like your 2011 Saab?! :smile:

trav110

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:27 am

iPhone. New one will be announced tomorrow. I had 5 different generations of Galaxy before I switched to iPhone and I’ll never look back. iPhones just work.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:38 am

northstardc4m wrote:

I have to agree. The new Samsung A-Series phone are good midrange phones for those who don't need the S21's frills. I got myself an A32 5G for a company phone and it's just as good in some aspect as my S21 Ultra.

NLINK

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:12 am

trav110 wrote:
iPhone. New one will be announced tomorrow. I had 5 different generations of Galaxy before I switched to iPhone and I’ll never look back. iPhones just work.

I agree. People are funny that complain about no removable battery in the iPhone, which is a simple solution to carry a Anker external battery. No difference then carrying a battery.

cpd

Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:55 am

Aesma wrote:

I got an iPhone XR years back to replace an ancient iPhone 5. The XR has been great, but it is so big and heavy.

afcjets

Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:38 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Flaps wrote:

Same here, if it's not something that will become obsolete and not too expensive, sometimes I buy two of the same item.

petertenthije

Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:44 pm

NLINK wrote:
trav110 wrote:

I agree. People are funny that complain about no removable battery in the iPhone, which is a simple solution to carry a Anker external battery. No difference then carrying a battery.

I think the main problem people have with fixed batteries is not that they run out of power mid-day. A power bank works miracles for that.

The problem is mainly that when a battery no longer holds a decent charge, it requires expensive servicing at a Genius bar, or going to a cheaper third party vendor potentially ruining warranty. Though in most cases the phone will be out of warranty anyway around the time battery life starts getting noticably bad.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989

casinterest

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:17 pm

petertenthije wrote:
NLINK wrote:
trav110 wrote:

I think the main problem people have with fixed batteries is not that they run out of power mid-day. A power bank works miracles for that.

The problem is mainly that when a battery no longer holds a decent charge, it requires expensive servicing at a Genius bar, or going to a cheaper third party vendor potentially ruining warranty. Though in most cases the phone will be out of warranty anyway around the time battery life starts getting noticably bad.

I got in good with my IPhone 7 during the battery replacement fiasco for 29 buck. I have had it for almost 5 years, and the new IOS 15 will support Iphone 7, so I may get another year out of it. Not bad return on the investment.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

NIKV69

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:57 pm

afcjets wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Flaps wrote:

Same here, if it's not something that will become obsolete and not too expensive, sometimes I buy two of the same item.

Good idea but I worry about updates, either way I am moving on soon. Anyone have the Motorola Razr?

bananaboy

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:58 am

System07 wrote:
I’ve got an iPhone 8 Plus that I love. Will be buying the new one that comes out this Fall just because it’s time. But it’s been absolutely flawless. I have to charge it more often but what other electrical device that’s used many hours a day every single day for almost five years straight won’t do that. I don’t even care that I can’t easily replace the battery since this works after five years. Rarely ever turned off. On latest software. It just works. As have the couple other iPhones I’ve had. I don’t care about massive customization and the ecosystem works great with things. I even accidentally shut it in the tailgate hinge of my truck and it smashed the glass on my camera and still takes pretty good pictures.
I also got an Apple Watch SE a couple months ago for health tracking and GPS on my bike rides and I love it.
Take that for what you will

I'm with you on this. Had Android phones 2010-2015 approx and I just grew tired of what I saw as excessive customisation ability at the expense of ease of use. Apps would forever stop responding and getting operating system updates was slow because it depended on the phone manufacturer and the network provider to agree for it to be made available. Grew tiresome very quickly.

I understand some of the above may have changed since, but I don't think I'd be interested in going back to an Android phone. I may be paying over the odds for an iPhone when comparing the specs to equivalent Android options but, for me, I value the reliability of Apple. It works, flawlessly, every single time. Can't remember ever having it crash or lock, and rarely do I ever come across an app that doesn't work repeatedly. Updates are, as I understand it, global, and available instantly.

Don't feel particularly locked in to an Apple ecosystem, though..my Gmail, Drive, Google Pics and more work just fine. Am I missing out on something better? Possibly, but I'm still happy with the iPhone and would recommend them if what I've spoken about above is important. Just my 2p...
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing