Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pi7472000
Topic Author

Texas valedictorian speaks for in support of reproductive rights of women.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Really proud to see amazing people in Gen Z speaking on behalf of women. Another reason Texas is moving backwards. We need to speak out on behalf of women living in Texas who are seeing their reproductive rights stripped away by conservative politicians.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 517660002/

phatfarmlines

Re: Texas valedictorian speaks for in support of reproductive rights of women.

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Very brave of her to do that especially in a state like Texas, but note from the article:

The speech has prompted the Richardson Independent School District to reevaluate its set of protocols for student speeches.

So I imagine any politically-charged speech will likely have to be reviewed going forward. That's the world we're living in.

casinterest

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:21 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Very brave of her to do that especially in a state like Texas, but note from the article:

The speech has prompted the Richardson Independent School District to reevaluate its set of protocols for student speeches.

So I imagine any politically-charged speech will likely have to be reviewed going forward. That's the world we're living in.

Censorship by the government. That's the way Texas rolls.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Ken777

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:36 am

phatfarmlines wrote:

An outstanding speech by an outstanding young lady. Her parents should be proud of her academic achievements as well as her courage in delivering the speech.

As for "going forward" the backward yo-yos in Texas might try to block freedom of speech (and they probably will) but there will be multiple outlets like MSNBC and CNN who will be proud to support achievers like this young gal. Maybe Rachael Maddow will be first in line for "tomorrow's speech:" to be given in full.

Aaron747

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:07 am

Definitely a break of protocol, but this young lady is certainly going places. That was a strong and timely speech.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ltbewr

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:20 am

I am surprised she didn't get shut down, the microphone turned off and dragged off the stage by school administrators for her actual instead of her approved speech (which was to be on social media issues of her peers). For sure 99% of the V-speeches will be about the pandemic and it's affect on them and their fellow students, families and communities. Sadly her speech, while likely popular by most of her fellow students will lead to death and other violent threats, and hate all over social media and on RW websites. That this woman took this action is a critical expression of her generation of what is happening in Texas and other states as to limiting access to legal abortion, voting rights, too much police violence, and many other issues. It was also one of the few outlets young adults have to express real issues.

sierrakilo44

Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:09 am

phatfarmlines wrote:

Somehow I don't think they'll be too concerned about speeches which talk about the importance of faith and religion in schools, or love of the country and the flag.

Politically charged speeches which they agree with won't be a problem.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:53 pm

From whatever political or religious angle, I can understand that high school commencement speeches are best bland blather for hundreds of people (thousands) who are there almost entirely to see their favorite kid come walking across the stage. A few throw away lines on the speakers concerns are OK. I have known families thinking they could turn the speech entirely into an evangelizing sermon - sort of an 'accept Jesus or go to hell' thing. Incidentally, I were one of those speakers and wish I had been brave enough to add a line or two of what I really thought. Yeah for that girl.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Aesma

Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:00 pm

I didn't think you could both be a religious nut and a valedictorian. With all the science and stuff.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

casinterest

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 pm

In all honesty, I was quite a bit surprised with the passion of the speech. It would seem that the GOP and far right religious push to continue the abuse of women's rights will continue to meet strong opposition. The Supreme Court has until recently found these bills far too restrictive, and I do expect it to lose to an honorable court, but with the way 2 judges were put on the court by dishonorable circumstances, it would seem we are set up for some rather dishonorable women's rights rulings going forward.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

extender

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
...with the way 2 judges were put on the court by dishonorable circumstances, it would seem we are set up for some rather dishonorable women's rights rulings going forward.

What two dishonorable ways are you referring to? Tone down the vitriol, as there is no basis in fact.

Aaron747

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:28 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:
...with the way 2 judges were put on the court by dishonorable circumstances, it would seem we are set up for some rather dishonorable women's rights rulings going forward.

What two dishonorable ways are you referring to? Tone down the vitriol, as there is no basis in fact.

Fact: Barrett was put on the bench in an election year, and confirmed by a Senate majority that refused to do the same for Garland. There is no dispute about that, unless you are into rewriting the Congressional record.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

casinterest

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:41 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It is based in the fact that the GOP behaved dishonorably in 2016 and in 2020.

extender

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm

casinterest wrote:

What dishonorable ways are you referring to?

casinterest

Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:

What dishonorable ways are you referring to?

The fact that they sat on a hearing for 8 months in 2016 to deny a supreme court justice, and then rushed on through in 2 months.

Highly dishonorable. Every member of the GOP that was a part of those appointments crapped on the US constitution.

lightsaber

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:03 pm

Aesma wrote:
I didn't think you could both be a religious nut and a valedictorian. With all the science and stuff.

I know several religious people who were valedictorian. Several of the top scientists I know are extreamly religious. This isn't the inquisition era.
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

CitizenJustin

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:46 am

lightsaber wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I know several religious people who were valedictorian. Several of the top scientists I know are extreamly religious. This isn't the inquisition era.

Religion interferes with objectivity. How can one be a serious scientist while also denying evolution and subscribing to the multiple scientific inaccuracies in the Bible? You’d think if the Bible was inspired by the words of Jesus, the son of the entity that created all, that they’d at least be able to get the science right. However, they don’t. It’s just as primitive and incorrect as all the other nonsense of that time.

Aaron747

Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Religion interferes with objectivity. How can one be a serious scientist while also denying evolution and subscribing to the multiple scientific inaccuracies in the Bible? You’d think if the Bible was inspired by the words of Jesus, the son of the entity that created all, that they’d at least be able to get the science right. However, they don’t. It’s just as primitive and incorrect as all the other nonsense of that time.

My cousin is quite religious but is also an OB-GYN and studied endometrial disease extensively. I asked her something like the above once and she responded it's all about compartmentalization - separating the emotional side from the objective things at work. It's quite possible to do - just takes a disciplined mind.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:49 am

Us smart primates rely on all sorts of compartmentalization's, whether we think we are religious or not. Autonomy is a very high value for me, I raised my kids to also value it. Yet from a cognitive science point of view I also am aware that individual autonomy is a problematic sort of thing. Humans are a social animal, and the loyalties to the group be it a political party, a religion, a race or tribe are frequently at odds with the moral values those members think they believe. Top notch paleontologists are often members of religions that claim earth is only a few thousand years old. When asked how they integrate those different beliefs they probably just will laugh.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Aesma

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:51 pm

I'm sure most of them were "born" into that religion, otherwise they wouldn't bother with it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

phatfarmlines

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:08 pm

Talk about hypocrisy.....

State Senator Doug Broxton gave a speech at an in-person high school graduation in Pensacola, Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhPKp4Ij0CQ

Time marker 17:00-17:37 - High school principal introduces State Senator Doug Broxton
Time marker 17:38-22:00 - State Senator Doug Broxton speaks

"How stupid can government be, making you do the things that you had to do. Cancel classes, distance learning, loss of sports, social distancing, contact tracing, quarantining, and worst of all, wearing a mask."

An interesting retort by YouTuber Barron Cousins (Host of Ring of Fire podcast), whose child participated in that same graduation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB-W08ByeAI

scbriml

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:54 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Talk about hypocrisy.....

State Senator Doug Broxton gave a speech at an in-person high school graduation in Pensacola, Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhPKp4Ij0CQ

Time marker 17:00-17:37 - High school principal introduces State Senator Doug Broxton
Time marker 17:38-22:00 - State Senator Doug Broxton speaks

"How stupid can government be, making you do the things that you had to do. Cancel classes, distance learning, loss of sports, social distancing, contact tracing, quarantining, and worst of all, wearing a mask."

An interesting retort by YouTuber Barron Cousins (Host of Ring of Fire podcast), whose child participated in that same graduation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB-W08ByeAI

Shock, horror - another old, white, Republican dude. Can't decide if it's hypocrisy or stupidity.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

scbriml

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:56 pm

extender wrote:
casinterest wrote:

No basis in fact only if your head has been buried somewhere for the last few years. :lol:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

cpd

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:20 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:

Cancel culture strikes again.