Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Burning Container Ship Sinks Off Coast of Sri Lanka

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:01 am

A smouldering container ship sank off the coast of Sri Lanka on Wednesday, leading to fears of an oil and chemical spill. Since May 20, authorities were trying to keep the X-Press Pearl from sinking, with the ship carrying chemicals such as nitric acid and 250 metric tons of oil were in the tanks. There are concerns about an ecological disaster and fishing vessels gave been prohibited from entering the affected area. We will see what happens as a result of this.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typo fixed

T4thH

Re: Burning Container Ship Sinks Off Coast of Sri Lanka

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:39 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
A smouldering container ship sank off the coast of Sri Lanka on Wednesday, leading to fears of an oil and chemical spill. Since May 20, authorities were trying to keep the X-Press Pearl from sinking, with the ship carrying chemicals such as nitric acid and 250 metric tons of oil were in the tanks. There are concerns about an ecological disaster and fishing vessels gave been prohibited from entering the affected area. We will see what happens as a result of this.

Nitric and other acids (with exception of chromic acid, but this I hope, was not loaded) are not important, as these will dilute in the masses of water and are gone. It will be different, when bottles and barrels with them will be washed ashore and people will collect and open them. As the ship is completely burnt and glown out, with exception of the heavy oil in the fuel tanks, there will not be anything, they have to take care of. Only containers, blown from board during explosions or when structures collapsed by fire (and not completely burnt out prior) are of interest.

So the main interest will be in the type of fuel loaded, it this was the heavy oil shit,...OK with luck, partly burned, it will be reduced/converted to tar, so something solid. In this case, they will have had luck.

cjg225

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:07 pm

I've been shocked this hasn't received more press in the trade publications the last couple weeks. I'd heard about it the first day or so, but struggled to find any articles in my usual places the last couple weeks.

DG has been, is, and likely will continue to be a major issue. Kinda funny, I've been dealing with DG issues similar to this at work, though with much, much less nasty stuff (though still classified as DG). The regs for packing DG can be a major challenge to actually comply with, if people even realize that there are such regs in addition to the more "administrative" tasks of labeling, marking, declaring, etc.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:09 pm

T4thH wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Nitric and other acids (with exception of chromic acid, but this I hope, was not loaded) are not important, as these will dilute in the masses of water and are gone. It will be different, when bottles and barrels with them will be washed ashore and people will collect and open them. As the ship is completely burnt and glown out, with exception of the heavy oil in the fuel tanks, there will not be anything, they have to take care of. Only containers, blown from board during explosions or when structures collapsed by fire (and not completely burnt out prior) are of interest.

So the main interest will be in the type of fuel loaded, it this was the heavy oil shit,...OK with luck, partly burned, it will be reduced/converted to tar, so something solid. In this case, they will have had luck.

It's a bit worse than that description already as millions of plastic packing pellets have already been washing up on beaches near Colombo.

T4thH

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:47 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
T4thH wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

It's a bit worse than that description already as millions of plastic packing pellets have already been washing up on beaches near Colombo.

But these were from the containers, blown and fallen from board earlier/early, while it was on fire. But these plastic pellets are not any more released from the wreck, while in submerging/sinking, as the wreck is burnt/glown out and eweything burnable in the containers, which were not fallen into the water early, is gone/burnt since days.
So I do not see a high hazard risk of the wreck itself, after it was sunk (with exception of the fuel) but I am well aware of the likely hazard by the containers, lost during the fire early.

Aaron747

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:49 pm

T4thH wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
T4thH wrote:

But these were from the containers, blown and fallen from board earlier/early, while it was on fire. But these plastic pellets are not any more released from the wreck, while in submerging/sinking, as the wreck is burnt/glown out and eweything burnable in the containers, which were not fallen into the water early, is gone/burnt since days.
So I do not see a high hazard risk of the wreck itself, after it was sunk (with exception of the fuel) but I am well aware of the likely hazard by the containers, lost during the fire early.

I see what you're saying. Appreciate the clarification!

par13del

Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:15 pm

The big issue is when the leak was first reported, the principals involved for the boat and cargo denied permission for third parties to board, inspect and contain the leak.
Everything after is secondary, start at the head of the entire issue and work your way down, principle of gravity.