Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virtual737

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:59 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Turns out there were TWO balls on the pitch right before you were awarded your penalty and UEFA didn’t stop the game. This is the most controversial match I can remember having watched.

As said before: England was the better team, I’m not saying you didn’t deserve to win, but they way you won it was undeserved in my opinion.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... kane-goal/

Over and out.

In the article that you linked:

"Referee Danny Makkelie either missed the incident or decided the second ball was not interfering with play as the attack continued. But the Dutch official would have been within his right to halt play and bring the move back for a drop ball."

So there are plausible explanations for whether the ref saw the ball or not and the decision was not outside the rules. If he didn't see it, he couldn't have stopped play. If he did see it, he could have decided that it was in no way interfering with play and let things continue. Maybe a concerned Danish supporter threw the second ball on the pitch? I don't know and it's now already part of history.

I totally get why you're salty and I trust you will not look so harshly on others in a similar position in the future when they display the same emotions / thoughts / logic / 20-20 hindsight as you.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 am

Virtual737 wrote:
I totally get why you're salty and I trust you will not look so harshly on others in a similar position in the future when they display the same emotions / thoughts / logic / 20-20 hindsight as you.

Plausible explanation only if you’re an English fan.

Harshly on others?

You mean booing during the opponents national anthem, using laser lights, and filming in front of the goal to achieve an undeserved penalty goal which cost the other guys a fair match?

That kind of harsh?

Sorry, English “fans” showed complete lack of class in a way not seen before in a semi final. Shame on you guys.

Then on top of that the arrogant “it’s coming home” even though it never was home. I can only say that even your closest neighbors were cheering for us yesterday and now everyone’s cheering for Italy on Sunday. Nobody can stand this level of arrogance, and nope it’s not because we envy you, even though that’s a comfortable explanation.

Reinhardt

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

You mean booing during the opponents national anthem,

Yes it's pathetic and sad. I think they picked it up from certain Eastern European nations when England played away and half the players got racially abused as well. It's not right, shouldn't happen, but it's not only England. It needs to stop.

AirPacific747 wrote:
using laser lights,

Guy should be found and banned for life. Even worse when the Goalie plays for an English prem team, who themselves have been through so much the last few years. They aren't football fans.

JUST ANNOUNCED on the news, UEFA are investigating "England" for those two (and letting off fireworks at the end). Rightly so, these "fans" are a national embarrssement.

AirPacific747 wrote:
achieve an undeserved penalty goal which cost the other guys a fair match?

It was a light penalty but there was contact. There were 2 other potential penalties in that match never looked at. Maguire should never have been booked. Kane was pulled back all the time and rightly got free kicks.

You guys played amazing well for 60mins. After that England dominated. I think you had 2-3 potential chances in the rest of the match but that was it. You couldn't get out of your own half for 45mins. Even before the penalty the tide had turned. Look at the match stats. Without the penalty we have no idea how the match would have turned out, but based purely on stats, posession, chances... England deserved to win.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but England have been cheated before so have plenty of other teams. Remember Lampards disallowed goal against Germany? How do you think we felt about that?

AirPacific747 wrote:
Sorry, English “fans” showed complete lack of class in a way not seen before in a semi final. Shame on you guys.

Not all of us. A small portion.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Then on top of that the arrogant “it’s coming home” even though it never was home. I can only say that even your closest neighbors were cheering for us yesterday and now everyone’s cheering for Italy on Sunday. Nobody can stand this level of arrogance, and nope it’s not because we envy you, even though that’s a comfortable explanation.

It's not arrogance. It's just a fun song from Euro 96, at time when songs were released by teams or countries all the time. England haven't gotten to the final or even won anything for decades. For a country with the Premier league it's pretty suprising. I'm far from a flag waving Englishmen, hell I don't live in the UK anymore but it's nice to finally see an England team managed properly and actually winning matches and playing well.

By the way I and a lot of English supporters cheered for Denmark through the entire tournament until you played us. You were amazing, especially after what happened.
Last edited by Reinhardt on Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:39 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

Not plausible if you're a Danish fan. Tomato, tomato.

AirPacific747 wrote:

Harshly on others?

Judging all by the actions of a few? Yep.

AirPacific747 wrote:

You mean booing during the opponents national anthem

Something I can't stand.

AirPacific747 wrote:
using laser lights

I hope they are caught, banned from future sporting events for life, fined and / or imprisoned for 30 days. It's not acceptable.

AirPacific747 wrote:
and filming in front of the goal to achieve an undeserved penalty goal which cost the other guys a fair match?

Filming? Vent your anger on the ref. He gave it. VAR didn't overturn it because there was no clear error.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Sorry, English “fans” showed complete lack of class in a way not seen before in a semi final.

I'm sure some of them did. The actions of a few idiotic football "fans" are hardly the best yardstick to judge a crowd, let alone a whole nation.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Shame on you guys.

The words of a guy who's team just lost a semi-final. We know how it feels.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Then on top of that the arrogant “it’s coming home” even though it never was home.

"It's coming home" are words from the 1996 song from Baddiel and Skinner. Modern football has it's roots in England. It's a song of hope that now embraces a lack of achievement over 55 years since when England DID bring football home by winning the World Cup. It's based on a positive form of the the very same passion that you are displaying so negatively now. Nothing more, nothing less. Baddiel and Skinner attend many England matches together to this day. The were shown on the TV footage on at least the last 2 games, possibly more. Nothing arrogant about it.

AirPacific747 wrote:
I can only say that even your closest neighbors were cheering for us yesterday and now everyone’s cheering for Italy on Sunday

Something that we've faced since at least the 1970s and probably before. When I was a kid I would always support Wales, Scotland, NI or the Republic if they were playing anyone other than England. Fans of those teams tend to do the opposite, which says at least as much about them as it does us. We kind of expect it and, well, laugh at it really.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Nobody can stand this level of arrogance

Mostly misplaced, in my opinion of course. Take a look at any one of Gareth Southgate's interviews. See any arrogance? If you take what the British tabloid press write as the true thoughts of an English person then... there is no hope.

AirPacific747 wrote:
and nope it’s not because we envy you.

Not asking or expecting you to envy us. We haven't won a major tournament for 55 years. We did just beat you though, which explains much of the bitterness over what I very much consider.... just a game.

B777LRF

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:44 am

Despite the loss, I'm not for shedding tears. We played a fantastic tournament following an exceedingly traumatic start, where we lost our best player and he almost lost his life. That, more than anything, puts things in perspective.

We're a small country of only 5.5 million people, yet managed to secure a place amongst the last 4 in the Cup. Ahead of giants such as France, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. We also introduced to the world two young players who, in the years to come, will be sure to make their mark on international football: Damsgaard and Maehle. The best goal keeper of the tournament was also fielded by Denmark, as was the best coach. Schmeichel also gave the best comment at any press conference, when he dissected a hapless English pundit who wanted a comment on the idiotic "coming home" mantra.

Above all is the memory of a team who, facing adversity they've never encountered before, came together with the rest of the country as a unity and soundly beat the odds.

There is really nothing to be sad about and everything to be proud of.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:51 am

B777LRF wrote:
Despite the loss, I'm not for shedding tears. We played a fantastic tournament following an exceedingly traumatic start, where we lost our best player and he almost lost his life. That, more than anything, puts things in perspective.

We're a small country of only 5.5 million people, yet managed to secure a place amongst the last 4 in the Cup. Ahead of giants such as France, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. We also introduced to the world two young players who, in the years to come, will be sure to make their mark on international football: Damsgaard and Maehle. The best goal keeper of the tournament was also fielded by Denmark, as was the best coach. Schmeichel also gave the best comment at any press conference, when he dissected a hapless English pundit who wanted a comment on the idiotic "coming home" mantra.

Above all is the memory of a team who, facing adversity they've never encountered before, came together with the rest of the country as a unity and soundly beat the odds.

Can't find fault in any of that. Well written.

Possibly Southgate is showing himself to be the best coach, but I'm probably comparing him to past England managers rather than those of all nations. He's a breath of fresh air, even if a bit "staid".

JJJ

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 am

B777LRF wrote:

For a while I thought you guys would pull a '92.

It was a great run no matter the result.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:10 pm

[quote="Virtual737"][/quote]

Listen, I could accept a defeat fair and square, if you had scored on your attempts, but the way it happened will never be acceptable to me and a lot of other people.

scbriml

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:01 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Harshly on others?

You mean booing during the opponents national anthem, using laser lights, and filming in front of the goal to achieve an undeserved penalty goal which cost the other guys a fair match?

That kind of harsh?

Booing during the anthems is shameful. It happens in many places, but that certainly doesn't excuse it in the slightest. But I hope you can appreciate it's a mindless minority doing it. I heard lots of clapping during the Danish anthem in an attempt to drown out the booing. The same idiots even boo their own players for taking a knee before the game, so intelligence is clearly not their strong point.

"It's coming home" is a silly football song that has become an anthem for England, but it's sung much more in hope than arrogance. If we'd won six WC and five Euros, I could understand it being seen as arrogance. That said, I'm really not sure why it annoys you quite so much. I'm absolutely sure just about everyone in Wales and Scotland was supporting Denmark (as I would have been if they weren't playing England).

AirPacific747 wrote:
Listen, I could accept a defeat fair and square, if you had scored on your attempts, but the way it happened will never be acceptable to me and a lot of other people.

Look, it was a soft penalty, there's no denying that. If that had been awarded against us, I'd have been very disappointed. But if you think that's unacceptable, try being knocked out of a World Cup by a goal that was punched in.

scbriml

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:05 pm

JJJ wrote:
For a while I thought you guys would pull a '92.

It was a great run no matter the result.

It was and Denmark should be proud of their performance despite how painful semi-final defeat is. They should also put it into perspective with how close Eriksen came to dying on the pitch.

B777LRF wrote:

Very well written. Thanks.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:27 pm

With Björn Kuipers the final is getting a fair and impartial referee.

Dano1977

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:52 pm

As for the posters saying because there was a second ball on the pitch...

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

• an extra ball, other object or animal enters the field of play during the
match, the referee must:
– stop play (and restart with a dropped ball) only if it interferes with play
– unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not
prevent a defending player playing the ball; the goal is awarded if the
ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless the
interference was by the attacking team
– allow play to continue if it does not interfere with play and have it
removed at the earliest possible opportunity

As the extra ball did not affect the play, the ref had no reason to stop play

marcelh

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Nice! Great referee gets his finest hour at his last tournament.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:52 pm

Dano1977 wrote:

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

match, the referee must:

What does it say about a goalkeeper being distracted by laser lights by idiots during a penalty?

par13del

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:01 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

match, the referee must:

What does it say about a goalkeeper being distracted by laser lights by idiots during a penalty?

Proposed new rules:
1. If the penalty kick is successful, the goal is disallowed and a penalty kick is offered to the other side as a penalty for an abusive fan being allowed in.
2. If the penalty kick is unsuccessful all is well and we move on as the offender should not benefit.
3. In either event 1 or 2, the fan must be identified and banned from all sanctioned matches for a period of 3 years, and in cases where TV access is controlled, there also.

scbriml

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:02 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

match, the referee must:

It distracted him so much he saved the penalty. :sarcastic:

Dutchy wrote:

As opposed to what other type of referee?

scbriml

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:14 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

I suggest you read some of the Danish comments.

All quoted from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57760685
Sports journalist Carsten Werge tweeted: "Why is Denmark the real European Championship winner? Because Christian Eriksen survived. That means far more than a final place and a trophy."

"My generation did not get a European Championship title, but we did have a summer we will never forget...," tweeted table football champion Amalie Bremer. "Since June 12, I have been tearful as never before. Every Danish flag and every red jersey has made all nerve endings tremble. It's been so magical. Thank you."

Anette Larner said she was looking forward to the World Cup. "I'm full of admiration for these boys, and Hjulmand and co!! Heroes, and they have shown what Denmark is made of. Proud and disappointed, but mostly proud! #ForDanmark," she tweeted.

Michael Rasmussen wrote: "Now the whole of Denmark has got a taste of what it is like to be a football fan, and how great it is to have a match every week to look forward to - so find yourself a team, and fall in love with it."

"Congratulations England. Looking forward to the final. All the best to your great team," Ambassador in the UK Lars Thuesen tweeted.
Last edited by scbriml on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

match, the referee must:

It distracted him so much he saved the penalty. :sarcastic:

Dutchy wrote:

As opposed to what other type of referee?

He told the referee about it. So year, it was a distraction. Who knows whether he might have held on to the ball afterwards?

Goal in that case should be cancelled and the penalty should be retaken, so that it will never pay off to use dirty tricks like that.

Dano1977

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 pm

Lets agree...

Denmarks First Goal was illegal under FIFA rules.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Rz0L0oXvNw

England should not have been awarded a penalty...

Result = England Win 1-0 as a result of an own goal.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:23 pm

par13del wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

match, the referee must:

Proposed new rules:
1. If the penalty kick is successful, the goal is disallowed and a penalty kick is offered to the other side as a penalty for an abusive fan being allowed in.
2. If the penalty kick is unsuccessful all is well and we move on as the offender should not benefit.
3. In either event 1 or 2, the fan must be identified and banned from all sanctioned matches for a period of 3 years, and in cases where TV access is controlled, there also.

So all you need to do is plant 1 gullible idiot (and there are 1000s to choose from) in the opposing team's section and have them do the necessary any time there is a penalty against you, so giving you the advantage.

Idiots do idiotic things. We see it with drones near airports and lasers pointed at helicopters and aircraft. At a televised event lots of cameras about, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this idiot was caught pretty soon and s/he will face just as much anger / ridicule etc from "normal" English people as from any Dane.

chimborazo

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:24 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

FIFA Laws

Outside interference

match, the referee must:

It says something along the lines of: “there are utter c###s to be found all across the globe, all nationalities have them, you will therefore find them at football matches. Especially at football matches because for some it brings out a primeval edge they wouldn’t otherwise display in normal life.
“The matter will be investigated and the perpetrator dealt with”.

Well… that’s what it should say.

The penalty should never have been given: he started diving as soon as the ball began to get away from him and only achieved managing to lightly brush his leg against the defender’s leg when he was already going down. Because he’d chosen to dive he was no longer shoulder to shoulder with the second defender which is why the defender went across his hip making it look like he barged him. He didn’t.
What is the point of VAR if it doesn’t factor all the angles available to make an informed decision? In the moment it looked like a penalty but if you watch the slow mo and the reverse angle it’s clear he dived. The correct outcome on review should have been a yellow card for Sterling - the actions of the defenders then become moot as Sterling offended first (they weren’t malicious or dangerous moves from the defenders so even if you think they “fouled” him, Sterling dived first).

I used to enjoy watching football and enjoy the game itself. I just can’t stand the cheats - on any team. VAR was supposed to stamp it out. The game is so fast now referees cannot make the big decisions without support. But it either needs to be removed completely or used properly- the half-way house diminishes the flow of the game without giving the real benefits video replay can and should bring. Especially for getting rid of the divers - lowest of the low.

I turned the match off after 20 mins - first match I had attempted to watch rather than listen to on radio - because it was so damned boring to watch and kept up to date with live updates on the web on the occasion of hearing neighbours a few doors away yelling :-)

I’m English but not an England fan. They scraped through against Denmark. I would like them to win it for Southgate’s sake because he is a decent and honourable man. But can’t see it happening - suspect a tepid and cagey game then maybe Italy nicking it in ET with a dive/penalty. How ironic would that be?!

Virtual737

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
Lets agree...

I like the point you're making, but the game was likely more enjoyable the way it was played. Southgate changed the team dramatically once England were ahead and Denmark thereafter spent more time in the England half than they had previously. Personally I didn't like that tactic but I'm in no position to second guess Southgate.

Before the penalty, the Danes just were not in the game and an England goal was almost inevitable. If it wasn't for the brilliance of Kasper, the scoreline would be very different. Easy to see why Keane picked him as man of the match.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
par13del wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Proposed new rules:

So all you need to do is plant 1 gullible idiot (and there are 1000s to choose from) in the opposing team's section and have them do the necessary any time there is a penalty against you, so giving you the advantage.

Idiots do idiotic things. We see it with drones near airports and lasers pointed at helicopters and aircraft. At a televised event lots of cameras about, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this idiot was caught pretty soon and s/he will face just as much anger / ridicule etc from "normal" English people as from any Dane.

We lost 3-0 by a ruling to Sweden a few years ago because a drunk fan ran onto the field and attacked the referee lol. All it took was a single idiot for us to lose the game.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:31 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:
Lets agree...

I like the point you're making, but the game was likely more enjoyable the way it was played. Southgate changed the team dramatically once England were ahead and Denmark thereafter spent more time in the England half than they had previously. Personally I didn't like that tactic but I'm in no position to second guess Southgate.

Before the penalty, the Danes just were not in the game and an England goal was almost inevitable. If it wasn't for the brilliance of Kasper, the scoreline would be very different. Easy to see why Keane picked him as man of the match.

Agreed, as I said from the start, England was clearly the better team and deserved to win. I can’t say it more clearly than that. I’m just angry at the way they won it. And in that way England didn’t deserve the win.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:33 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
We lost 3-0 by a ruling to Sweden a few years ago because a drunk fan ran onto the field and attacked the referee lol. All it took was a single idiot for us to lose the game.

I hope the drunk idiot "got the help he needed" from the real fans some time after ;)

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:45 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

I hope the drunk idiot "got the help he needed" from the real fans some time after ;)

Once he was sober, his life turned upside down. He gave an interview a few years later and he was living in fear from being attacked and living with the shame of having ruined the match for the whole country. His psyche had taken a big hit. I’m sure his life hasn’t been easy ever since.

Here’s the clip

https://youtu.be/KJH562K9dck

scbriml

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:46 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
He told the referee about it.

Do you have a source for that? I can't find any report that says he did.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

https://sport.tv2.dk/fodbold/2021-07-08 ... aa-wembley

It’s in Danish. Fair enough it says he didn’t experience it during the penalty, but he noticed it during the second half and told the referee about it.

It also says more players experienced it and it was reported several times

scbriml

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

It’s in Danish. Fair enough it says he didn’t experience it during the penalty, but he noticed it during the second half and told the referee about it.

OK, so presumably, you're now withdrawing your claim it distracted him during the penalty?

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

OK, so presumably, you're now withdrawing your claim it distracted him during the penalty?

Yes, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t distract him and other players throughout parts of the match

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:19 pm

More gems from the glorious british football culture and its fans.

https://www.dr.dk/sporten/fodbold/em/da ... t_55sdt40k

Several danish fans including children were attacked by british fans spitting at them and using coarse language towards them, even throwing bottles, and physically attacking them. More than a handful of idiots then, eh?

"fuck off to where you came from" - nice :sarcastic:

Dano1977

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:40 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
More gems from the glorious british football culture and its fans.

https://www.dr.dk/sporten/fodbold/em/da ... t_55sdt40k

Several danish fans including children were attacked by british fans spitting at them and using coarse language towards them, even throwing bottles, and physically attacking them. More than a handful of idiots then, eh?

"fuck off to where you came from" - nice :sarcastic:

Is that reason to brush every England fan as a prehistoric Neanderthal knuckle dragging thug though?

It doesn't matter where you go, there will always be a bad core of supporters who ruin it for the well behaved civil fans.

You see it at every level of football... I used to be on the board of directors for a semi professional local football team playing in the 14th tier of English Football. I've had to stand guard outside the referees changing room, because an away fan was so disgruntled at his performance (biased in his opinion) he wanted to "have a word". But I didn't tar the other 30 away supporters with the same brush, in fact the other away supporters were disgusted with his behaviour and he had to find his own transport home.

AirPacific747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

Is that reason to brush every England fan as a prehistoric Neanderthal knuckle dragging thug though?

It doesn't matter where you go, there will always be a bad core of supporters who ruin it for the well behaved civil fans.

You see it at every level of football... I used to be on the board of directors for a semi professional local football team playing in the 14th tier of English Football. I've had to stand guard outside the referees changing room, because an away fan was so disgruntled at his performance (biased in his opinion) he wanted to "have a word". But I didn't tar the other 30 away supporters with the same brush, in fact the other away supporters were disgusted with his behaviour and he had to find his own transport home.

My late grandmother, bless her heart, was at that match with her rocket launcher. Fortunately the result went our way and she had no need to use it. England fans eh.

I expected more from her. Why not bring the nuclear arsenal?

B777LRF

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 pm

Dano1977 wrote:

Yes it does, and no there won't. At least not on national team level. I dare you to find a single episode of a Danish, Swiss, Swedish, Norwegian or Dutch fan misbehaving in the way e.g. English or Russian fans do. In fact Danish fans were heavily praised by the Dutch police at their game in Amsterdam against Wales, and that is just the latest of an unbroken line of similar tales going all the way back to the 1984 Euro Cup. Danish fans never cause troubles, apart from perhaps draining a city of beer.

On the other hand there are fans of other national sides who cannot attend an away game without getting some of them arrested, and making the local front pages over their poor behaviour. The English fans are sadly to be counted in that group; it's not for nothing Hooliganism was "invented" in the UK.

Dano1977

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:06 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

Yes it does, and no there won't. At least not on national team level. I dare you to find a single episode of a Danish, Swiss, Swedish, Norwegian or Dutch fan misbehaving in the way e.g. English or Russian fans do. In fact Danish fans were heavily praised by the Dutch police at their game in Amsterdam against Wales, and that is just the latest of an unbroken line of similar tales going all the way back to the 1984 Euro Cup. Danish fans never cause troubles, apart from perhaps draining a city of beer.

On the other hand there are fans of other national sides who cannot attend an away game without getting some of them arrested, and making the local front pages over their poor behaviour. The English fans are sadly to be counted in that group; it's not for nothing Hooliganism was "invented" in the UK.

I can only find club level hooliganism for Danish, and Dutch.

petertenthije

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 pm

B777LRF wrote:

To be fair to English football fans, the local TV and newspaper in Amsterdam could easily fill a weekly segment on english tourists acting stupid. It’s just the media focussing more on them when they are all dressed alike. ;)

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:26 am

Three separate cases against England by UEFA for their semi final match and yet all it’lll amount to is a few symbolic fines. UEFA = mafia

At least England should easily win the oscars.

Virtual737

Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:19 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Three separate cases against England by UEFA for their semi final match and yet all it’lll amount to is a few symbolic fines. UEFA = mafia

I'm trying to picture your facial expressions as you're writing your messages in this thread and I'm still at "bulldog chewing a wasp".

THS214

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:15 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

Danish fans booed at Parken when Finnish anthem was played. So loud that it was not only few fans behaving badly.

MrHMSH
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:52 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

What punishments do you propose?

petertenthije

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:58 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

What punishments do you propose?

At least it will be a fine. UEFA will take any option to grab some more money.

But I would not be surprised at all if England is also forced to play without audience for one or more games. That won’t affect Sunday’s final, but would impact the next EC or maybe even the WC.

Reinhardt

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:12 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

It's funny. In the last decade or so, England have travelled and played football all over the world. We've had shocking decisions against the team (Lampard goal against Germany), massive numbers of freekicks not given and not won anything. We've had huge amounts of racist abuse because of the number of black footballers in the squad, players diving left right and centre against us. We have (you may disagree who knows) been an incredibly clean and well respected fair team of players. Other teams players fall over with the slightest knock, and when it comes to wasting time..the Italians and Spanish are experts.

The penalty was soft, but it was a penalty. Get over it. His leg was nudged with him running fast in the box, he was then pushed off the ball. One of those by itself for me that's not a foul in the rest of the pitch. Both together in the box..sorry it's a penalty all day long.

Yes a group of English fans have always been appallingly badly behaved and they have been again in this tournament. It's a national embarressement but far worse happens every league match in South America, or in half the qualifying matches for Euro's of World Cups in lets say, less well developed nations.

Don't paint the team or the whole country on one match with the same brush. It's not fair and not true.

Any why the hell would UEFA rig the tournament for England to win? Half the continent dislikes the English because of Brexit, no-one is doing it any favours... it's a pathetic, stupid thing to say.

scbriml

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:13 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

Oscars for what?

I think it's time for you to move on. This isn't good for you.

SQ22

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:33 pm

Please remember to provide links to your sources when stating facts, thanks.

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Oscars for what?

I think it's time for you to move on. This isn't good for you.

Lol seriously? How about beat unprovoked dive?

Scientist saying the laser light and extra ball did indeed have an influence on the players

https://www.dr.dk/sporten/fodbold/em/hj ... lt-sikkert

On top of that, the advantage of playing at home and with 6 times more fans on stadium than the opponents.

So, stop making lame excuses on behalf of your country and team. The match was a disgrace for you guys and if you win the final, it’ll always be a highly controversial win to many.

And on that bombshell, to move on indeed.

scbriml

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:07 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

Scientist saying the laser light and extra ball did indeed have an influence on the players

On top of that, the advantage of playing at home and with 6 times more fans on stadium than the opponents.

So, stop making lame excuses on behalf of your country and team. The match was a disgrace for you guys and if you win the final, it’ll always be a highly controversial win to many.

Except it wasn't a dive. Sterling was contacted by two separate Danish players. The ref thought it was a penalty. VAR did not ask him to review his decision, which clearly means they didn't see the dive that you did. Was it a soft penalty? Yes. Would I be disappointed if it was given against my team? Yes. Would I accuse the player of diving? No, because he didn't.

You do understand that every tournament has a "home team", right? England had to win their group to play the Ro16 match at Wembley. England had to win their QF in Rome to play in the SF. England had to win their SF to play in the final. The semis and final were always scheduled to be played at Wembley regardless of which teams were involved.

You do understand there's a global pandemic on with travel restrictions, right? Even UEFA recognises the inequality, but none of this is England's fault.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57778285 Life is rarely fair.

I haven't made any excuses for the England team, they don't need any. I certainly haven't excused idiots who boo at the anthems and I most certainly haven't excused the thug with a laser pointer.

I have "experience sympathy" for you, but now you're just sounding like any other bitter England hater. I'm sure you'll cheer up a bit if Italy win the final. Bye. :wave:

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Except it wasn't a dive. Sterling was contacted by two separate Danish players. The ref thought it was a penalty. VAR did not ask him to review his decision, which clearly means they didn't see the dive that you did. Was it a soft penalty? Yes. Would I be disappointed if it was given against my team? Yes. Would I accuse the player of diving? No, because he didn't.

You do understand that every tournament has a "home team", right? England had to win their group to play the Ro16 match at Wembley. England had to win their QF in Rome to play in the SF. England had to win their SF to play in the final. The semis and final were always scheduled to be played at Wembley regardless of which teams were involved.

You do understand there's a global pandemic on with travel restrictions, right? Even UEFA recognises the inequality, but none of this is England's fault.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57778285 Life is rarely fair.

I haven't made any excuses for the England team, they don't need any. I certainly haven't excused idiots who boo at the anthems and I most certainly haven't excused the thug with a laser pointer.

I have "experience sympathy" for you, but now you're just sounding like any other bitter England hater. I'm sure you'll cheer up a bit if Italy win the final. Bye. :wave:

Mourinho agrees with me. England was the better team that day, and deserved to win, but it was not a penalty (in a semi final) and thus didn't deserve to win the way they did.

https://talksport.com/football/908622/j ... y-verdict/

And here. Notice the word used to describe it is "controversial" exactly as I said:

https://www.givemesport.com/1718167-eng ... -2020-exit

Regarding the pandemic excuse. If the pandemic was such a big issue, why let 50.000+ english fans onto the stadium?
And if the reason is that they were all fully vaccinated or recently tested, why not let foreign fans in on the same premises? Kinda lame excuse.

I'm sorry to say it, but England never deserved to win the match the way they did. You can't change my mind on that, and apparently several professional referees either.

Virtual737

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:09 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Mourinho agrees with me. England was the better team that day, and deserved to win, but it was not a penalty (in a semi final) and thus didn't deserve to win the way they did..

Almost everyone, including me, pretty much everyone writing here and many, many English fans hold the same opinion.

Part of the issue here is that, in the sentence above, you're giving 100% attention to "didn't deserve to win the way they did" and 0% to "England was the better team that day, and deserved to win".

One of the reasons I'm not just totally ignoring what is becoming an ever repeating rant is that we know EXACTLY how it feels.

Come Monday, if Italy wins, your comments here will be golden (and predictable). However, in the past I've always taken at least some level of comfort when England have been knocked out of the tournament by the eventual winners of the competition, even when it was Germany.

scbriml

Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:39 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Mourinho agrees with me. England was the better team that day, and deserved to win, but it was not a penalty (in a semi final) and thus didn't deserve to win the way they did.

https://talksport.com/football/908622/j ... y-verdict/

And here. Notice the word used to describe it is "controversial" exactly as I said:

https://www.givemesport.com/1718167-eng ... -2020-exit

Mourinho wasn't the ref. Any officiating decision that you disagree with is, by definition, "controversial". Half the crowd boos nearly every free kick the ref awards, are they controversial decisions? None of that means the decision was wrong. Sterling didn't dive, the ref gave a penalty. VAR didn't see anything that prompted them to ask the ref to review his decision. I've said multiple times it was a soft penalty and that I'd be very disappointed if it had been awarded against England (just as you've said multiple times that England were the better team and deserved to win). What more do you want? The game will not get replayed. It's over.

Now, imagine how you'd feel if Sterling had managed to cross the ball only for Kane to punch it into the net and the "goal" was allowed to stand?

AirPacific747 wrote:
Regarding the pandemic excuse. If the pandemic was such a big issue, why let 50.000+ english fans onto the stadium?
And if the reason is that they were all fully vaccinated or recently tested, why not let foreign fans in on the same premises? Kinda lame excuse.

It's not an "excuse" because there's nothing to excuse. It's a simple statement of fact - many countries have travel restrictions imposed because of the pandemic. Cases in the UK are skyrocketing - there's a very strong argument that all the crowds should have been much smaller or even none. Those are facts, not excuses. None of this can be blamed on the England football team, nor its supporters. Complain to UEFA about the format of the tournament. Complain to the WHO about the pandemic. Complain to the host governments about their travel restrictions.

Virtual737 wrote:
Almost everyone, including me, pretty much everyone writing here and many, many English fans hold the same opinion.

Apparently, that's not enough. But then I get the impression that nothing ever will be. *shrug*

Virtual737 wrote:
One of the reasons I'm not just totally ignoring what is becoming an ever repeating rant is that we know EXACTLY how it feels.

And then some!

Virtual737 wrote:
Come Monday, if Italy wins, your comments here will be golden (and predictable).

Imagine if Italy wins with a "controversial" goal! :o

petertenthije

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Results are in, the FA have been fined 30.000€ for the laser pen and for disturbing the national anthems.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57788267