Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virtual737

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Results are in, the FA have been fined 30.000€ for the laser pen and for disturbing the national anthems.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57788267

That'll teach them.

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:35 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
pretty much everyone writing here and many, many English fans hold the same opinion.

Part of the issue here is that, in the sentence above, you're giving 100% attention to "didn't deserve to win the way they did" and 0% to "England was the better team that day, and deserved to win".

One of the reasons I'm not just totally ignoring what is becoming an ever repeating rant is that we know EXACTLY how it feels.

Come Monday, if Italy wins, your comments here will be golden (and predictable). However, in the past I've always taken at least some level of comfort when England have been knocked out of the tournament by the eventual winners of the competition, even when it was Germany.

Okay, I'll put more emphasis on what I've said several times already. England played a better match (minus the episode already debated to death here). But sometimes the best team doesn't win. Our chances of sending England home in a penalty shootout were ruined. That's my grief.

England had ball possession far most of the time and had more attempts. Yet we were in the lead for ten minutes.

Of course I'm going to root for Italy as is 94% of my fellow countrymen according to a poll I saw today. Not because we don't like England.

That's all I'm going to say. If England wins, good for you. I'll be happy for you.

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:38 pm

scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
Come Monday, if Italy wins, your comments here will be golden (and predictable).

Imagine if Italy wins with a "controversial" goal! :o

Yes imagine that. I'll be sorry for any Italian fan that dared to show up for the final at Wembley.

And I'll be waiting for the british tabloid and british people on social media to rant about it. And I would totally understand the frustration. ;)
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GDB

Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:39 pm

A lot of bitterness and plain sore loserdom on this thread but why? For Denmark to do as well as they did, from such a near tragic start, speaks volumes about them as a team.
Unfair? Those more knowledgeable about the game have given instances where England suffered from plain as day infractions that did not result in a penalty, as have all the top teams, at top level domestic and international games.
So put a sock in it, it's very unbecoming.

'Anyone But England', well at home that might just be starting to fray?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... t-the-hype

I am old enough to remember that when England were out of a tournament most supported any other UK team if they were there, that started to change I think in 1978, England did not qualify for the WC in one of their real slump periods, Scotland did and most people in the UK wished them well, at first.

All the things cited about the worst of the swaggering, braggart aspect of English Football culture was done by the Scottish manager and then some, you think England have gone into these events with massively unrealistic expectations with little evidence to support it? You should have seen this and he rubbed England's face in it every chance he got.
Then they fell flat on their faces, what would have been commiserations from across the UK instead turned to 'serves them right', not to mention the hostility they got in Scotland.

England went through a period of poor managers, the whole cult of swaggering superstar players, at least at their clubs not in the England team, the toxic press and their relationship with the team, these of course brings us back to bad management.
I remember during the 2006 WC England were playing I think the footballing powerhouse that is Trinidad, I wasn't watching but at half time a friend rang, well lubricated it must be said, to tell me that things were going going well for England, well it was a massively sweary rant about how awful England are, for all their hype and that he wanted Trinidad to win, they deserved it, I agreed adding 'well they are Commonwealth Brethren after all'.

Plenty more like that during the era of the 'Golden Generation' but that era is over, what we have now, whatever happens tomorrow, is an England team worthy of the name considering population, inventing the game etc, maybe the first since 1990?
And not so tied to the past, that monkey on their collective backs and indeed with many in England, I find it irritating and I'm from there!
So sound advice from Southgate to his team, 'make your own history'.
Wise words, that need to be heeded well beyond England as a football team.

As to UEFA's actions, as stated these fools are a huge minority, when they boo, other fans, including England, drown them out, England players get racist abuse from their own side, not to mention in certain other nations, where in a stadium it can be far more prevalent.
And I recall not long ago supporters of a team coming to Scotland, marching along with facist salutes and other bad behavior much of it racist, what team? Well it's from the nation we are playing tomorrow. If an English clubs supporters had done that you would have heard FAR more about it.

England as a team have suffered this longer than most European ones due to the national so then team demographics.
They've even taken, mostly from before their ascent in Euro 2020, heat from those who should keep their noses well out, these same people will try and appropriate of course should England win, hopefully it will only fool those already fooled by them;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... f-football

AirPacific747

Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Just to be completely clear. If it was the opposite situation, that England got robbed against Denmark and our fans had misbehaved, I would feel exactly the same feeling towards England, that it wasn’t a fair match and that you had deserved a rematch on fair and equal conditions.

If it happens against Italy tomorrow, I’ll also support England’s right to get a fair match, even if I’m rooting for Italy.

Edit:

I just saw a replay of the danish free kick. Apparently our players didn’t keep the 1 meter distance to the English wall until the ball was struck as required by the rules. That is also wrong.

That should also have been retaken.

I wonder if the referee was competent enough to get such an important

FGITD

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:17 pm

GDB wrote:
A lot of bitterness and plain sore loserdom on this thread but why? For Denmark to do as well as they did, from such a near tragic start, speaks volumes about them as a team.

Wise words, but I’m afraid that wisdom only comes from watching this sport for years.

Go back 2 months, and tell anyone that Denmark is going to make the semi finals, and bring it to ET and I’m sure they’d be shocked.

I’ve watched this sport my entire life, and it took awhile for me to reach the point of appreciating a good tournament run or a close finish from my teams, club or national.

Losing a semi or a final still stings, but there’s a certain bliss to being able to look back and say “a shame it ended that way, but goodness me what a run we had that year”

The highs aren’t highs unless there are also lows.

I celebrated a World Cup win by laying on the floor screaming my head off. It felt even better because a few World Cup finals prior, I was slumped over on the couch, devastated by a loss.

What a magnificent horrible thing to follow

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:47 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Just to be completely clear. If it was the opposite situation, that England got robbed against Denmark and our fans had misbehaved, I would feel exactly the same feeling towards England, that it wasn’t a fair match and that you had deserved a rematch on fair and equal conditions.

If it happens against Italy tomorrow, I’ll also support England’s right to get a fair match, even if I’m rooting for Italy.

Edit:

I just saw a replay of the danish free kick. Apparently our players didn’t keep the 1 meter distance to the English wall until the ball was struck as required by the rules. That is also wrong.

That should also have been retaken.

I wonder if the referee was competent enough to get such an important

To be fair England have been cheated many times over the years.

Maradona in 1986
Netherlands in WC qualifier in 1993 when Koeman should have been sent off.
Germany match in 2010 when England had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Virtual737

Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:12 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

Correct. It was mentioned earlier in this thread but you very much had your blinkers on at the time. That goal put Denmark ahead and was the first time England had conceded in the whole of the competition. Jordan Pickford was potentially robbed of having a clean sheet through all of a major tournament.

According to the rules, it should have been an indirect free kick back to England, not retaken by Denmark. No goal and no opportunity for a goal immediately after.

This is the FA version of that rule: https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-13---free-kicks about half way down under Offences and Sanctions.

Again, in the end the result was almost certainly fair and the better team made it through to the final.

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:05 am

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Correct. It was mentioned earlier in this thread but you very much had your blinkers on at the time. That goal put Denmark ahead and was the first time England had conceded in the whole of the competition. Jordan Pickford was potentially robbed of having a clean sheet through all of a major tournament.

According to the rules, it should have been an indirect free kick back to England, not retaken by Denmark. No goal and no opportunity for a goal immediately after.

This is the FA version of that rule: https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-13---free-kicks about half way down under Offences and Sanctions.

Again, in the end the result was almost certainly fair and the better team made it through to the final.

Can we at least agree that the referee didn’t do a good job?

Virtual737

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:17 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

Sure. He missed some pretty key incidents. Fortunately they mostly cancelled each other out.

Schmeichel is also quoted as saying that he was unaware of the laser during the penalty (but aware at other times) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-2021/2021/07/09/euro-2020-kasper-schmeichel-says-told-referee-laser-pen-long/ although he did see it during the second half.

Fair use: Speaking to Danish media following the defeat, Schmeichel said "I did not experience [the laser pen] on the penalty kick because it was behind me on my right side"

Overall the refereeing so far has been surprisingly good. It was also pretty clear that both refs for the semis allowed a lot more leeway (at least in the early parts of the game) and so some possible cards against both teams went no further than a free kick.

NIKV69

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:28 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

It always a shame and I wish the governing body would be proactive in officiating to make sure penalty kicks late in the game are justified. I don't feel that was a foul but it's over. Now It's game day. Go Italia!

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

It always a shame and I wish the governing body would be proactive in officiating to make sure penalty kicks late in the game are justified. I don't feel that was a foul but it's over. Now It's game day. Go Italia!

Agreed.

jetwet1

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

It shouldn't matter what time in the game it happens, if it's a foul it's a foul, you cannot have refs making decisions on a sliding scale based on the time in the game.

scbriml

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
It always a shame and I wish the governing body would be proactive in officiating to make sure penalty kicks late in the game are justified.

Isn't that exactly what VAR is for? But I'm not sure what difference the time in the match should make - it shouldn't matter if it's the first minute, the 90th or in extra time.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Agreed.

The penalty call was checked by VAR and they decided it didn't need to be reviewed by the ref.

jetwet1 wrote:
It shouldn't matter what time in the game it happens, if it's a foul it's a foul, you cannot have refs making decisions on a sliding scale based on the time in the game.

Of course it shouldn't.

aerosreenivas

Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:24 pm

England is one step away from winning a 'International Soccer Tournament' since 1966 after winning the World Cup.

I'm so looking forward to this final between two greatest teams 'Alitalia vs British Airways'.

I hope British Airways wins tonight.

Since, it is a website for 'Aviation Enthusiast', I'm replacing these two country names with their 'Respective Airlines Names'. :-)

NIKV69

Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:59 pm

ITALIA!!!!!!!!! CHAMPIONS!!!! What a Penalty shootout! Italy owed a lot to their Goalkeeper he is amazing!

aerosreenivas

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Congratulations Italy! They fought well. Marcus Rashford missed the crucial penalty.

JJJ

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Well, of course it had to end in PKs, and it doesn't matter if it's Wembley full of English fans, they always plays at home.

Not the best Euro, but definitely up there in drama. Let's see how the Olympics football ends up.

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Forza Azzurri!

Sorry England. I’m sure some day it’ll come home :-D

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:05 pm

The penalty curse again.

But well done Italy.

England did not deserve to win on that performance.

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:07 pm

JJJ wrote:
Well, of course it had to end in PKs, and it doesn't matter if it's Wembley full of English fans, they always plays at home.

Not the best Euro, but definitely up there in drama. Let's see how the Olympics football ends up.

I like the Euros when they are in one or two host nations.

France 2016 was great and I enjoyed Poland/Ukraine in 2012.

It is not the same when spread out.

Can’t wait for Germany 2024.

aerosreenivas

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:14 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:

Hopefully by then, COVID-19 would be history across the globe.

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:36 pm

Schmeichels’ words will become an eternal meme now lol. Anyway I understand the English frustration ;-)

noviorbis77

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:41 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:

Hopefully by then, COVID-19 would be history across the globe.

I do hope so.

Something far more important than football.

aerosreenivas

Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:44 pm

Just an 'Hypothetical Question' concerning the situation of England not being able to win any of the major 'International Soccer Championships'.

Since, Great Britain is being represented in Olympics, shouldn't the Soccer Team also be represented as Great Britain comprising of players of Wales, England, Scotland, and Ireland?

Don't you all feel that will create more chance of this nation winning a 'Major Soccer Tournament'?

scbriml

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:05 pm

Congratulations to Italy, on the balance of play over 120 minutes, they probably deserved it. A poor set of penalties by England cost them dear.

AirPacific747 wrote:
Schmeichels’ words will become an eternal meme now lol.

I'm sure you're very happy. :sarcastic:

scbriml

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:06 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:
Just an 'Hypothetical Question' concerning the situation of England not being able to win any of the major 'International Soccer Championships'.

Since, Great Britain is being represented in Olympics, shouldn't the Soccer Team also be represented as Great Britain comprising of players of Wales, England, Scotland, and Ireland?

Don't you all feel that will create more chance of this nation winning a 'Major Soccer Tournament'?

Won't ever happen because the separate FAs would never agree to it.

Dano1977

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:06 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:

The English Football Association are pro team GB for the Olympics, but unfortunately the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish Football Associations are not.

As for the reasons why, I do not know.

Congrats to Italy on winning the European Cup.

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
Congratulations to Italy, on the balance of play over 120 minutes, they probably deserved it. A poor set of penalties by England cost them dear.

AirPacific747 wrote:

The way the English fans were behaving again today, yes I am. A victory for England would simply add more fuel to the fire. And stop chanting “it’s coming home” before the tournament even starts. It may be a joke to some, but to most people it comes across as extremely arrogant.

petertenthije

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
And stop chanting “it’s coming home” before the tournament even starts. It may be a joke to some, but to most people it comes across as extremely arrogant.
ooh come on. Every country has songs in which they proudly declare themselves champion. So does almost every football club. It just goes with the game.

Congrats to Italy.

I was rooting for England. Mostly though because I dislike Italy’s history of diving, stalling etc.

But to be fair, Italy were well behaved today. Unlike English supporters, with at least one guy running on the pitch and several skirmishes prior to the game. I’ll check the news tomorrow morning to see if any Italian fans were molested or pizza places were set alight in England.

Aesma

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:47 pm

My team (France) lost for one missed penalty (Switzerland put 5 in, France 4), since then many matches finished on penalties, including the final, and everytime I watched, many didn't go in, a bit frustrating !

I'm half Italian so I guess I won anyway, even if I don't support them (especially since 2006).

AirPacific747

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:50 pm

petertenthije wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
And stop chanting “it’s coming home” before the tournament even starts. It may be a joke to some, but to most people it comes across as extremely arrogant.
ooh come on. Every country has songs in which they proudly declare themselves champion. So does almost every football club. It just goes with the game.

Congrats to Italy.

I was rooting for England. Mostly though because I dislike Italy’s history of diving, stalling etc.

But to be fair, Italy were well behaved today. Unlike English supporters, with at least one guy running on the pitch and several skirmishes prior to the game. I’ll check the news tomorrow morning to see if any Italian fans were molested or pizza places were set alight in England.

You don’t get it then. It’s in the wording. “Home” as if football only has one rightful winner.

Aesma

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:53 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:

I'm not British so I guess I don't care, and one other major French sport being rugby, if there was a unified team GB it wouldn't be the same, however I do agree it's a bit messy.

Changing things just for the Olympics wouldn't help though, you would have a team that never played together before, how are they supposed to win ?

Of course the teams being composed of U23 they're all a bit unusual anyway.

AirPacific747 : football was invented in Britain that's all. If anything it kinds of points out that they're quite bad at it !

noviorbis77

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:09 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

AirPacific747 wrote:

The way the English fans were behaving again today, yes I am. A victory for England would simply add more fuel to the fire. And stop chanting “it’s coming home” before the tournament even starts. It may be a joke to some, but to most people it comes across as extremely arrogant.

It is a fun song from the nation that gave the world football. It is not meant to be taken seriously.

Can you provide any evidence please that most people consider it arrogant or is this just speculation on your part?

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:12 am

And then to bring WW2 into this. I mean c’mon man.

https://apnews.com/article/euro-2020-eu ... d318489239

“People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back,” Southgate said. “You can’t hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that’s part of what that story was.”

noviorbis77

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:30 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
And then to bring WW2 into this. I mean c’mon man.

https://apnews.com/article/euro-2020-eu ... d318489239

“People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back,” Southgate said. “You can’t hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that’s part of what that story was.”

But can you source your claim please that most people think English fans signing “its coming home” is arrogant please?

FGITD

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 am

Spend just 5 minutes in the stands with them, and you’ll find that no one loves mocking the English more than the English.

No one is saying it’s coming home as if England has a rightful claim to the trophy. Have you ever heard the song? They very openly mock their own failure after failure.

Unfortunately in my opinion this will go down as a fairly forgettable tournament. A few upsets, some decent goals, but totally lacking the tournament vibe due to the host situation. And of course the lack of fans.

Roll on Germany 2024!

hbernal1

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:39 am

NIKV69 wrote:
ITALIA!!!!!!!!! CHAMPIONS!!!! What a Penalty shootout! Italy owed a lot to their Goalkeeper he is amazing!

Italy have such an advantage in penalty shootouts with Donarruma in goal. He's tall and imposing, and he strikes fear into opposing penalty-takers. Forza Azzurri!

That's how a team picks themselves up after not featuring in the last World Cup in Russia.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:58 am

Fantastic tournament given the worldwide situation. The best team won. England showed several moments of brilliance early on in the game but Italy got into gear and showed their class and strength. The best team won the match and the tournament.

The England team is still pretty young and were unbeaten in open play throughout the tournament. Based on these last few few weeks performances I have every hope they will become better and stronger.

Haters are still hating. Someone should write a song about it Swiftly.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:23 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

It is a fun song from the nation that gave the world football. It is not meant to be taken seriously.

Can you provide any evidence please that most people consider it arrogant or is this just speculation on your part?

Yes here you go

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 81703.html

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:39 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

Perhaps all those that think it's arrogant should read the lyrics to the song? A good life lesson for me was making sure I knew as many facts as possible before labelling someone or something in any kind of derogatory way, or just not doing it in the first place.

Schmeichel might well have taken on that advice before the comment (which I thought was pretty funny), considering where he plays most of his football. It would be easy for someone to take what he said as arrogance. To me it was just said in jest. Others always seem to look for the negative first. Happens in all walks of life and right here in this forum.

I find many national anthems to be rather too patriotic and arrogant too. I think we should consider banning them at international matches?

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:43 am

https://twitter.com/kamfab32/status/141 ... 35494?s=21 Something seriously wrong in English football culture at least among its fans.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:50 am

aerosreenivas wrote:

England has a far, far larger population that the other home nations combined (by an order of 5 or so) and so any team based purely on merit would quite likely have far more English players than any other. The FAs of the other home nations (quite rightly) wouldn't accept that.

It kind of works for the Olympics and some other sports, but football is way more.... nationalist? Just ask Andy Murray what team he supports when England are playing.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:52 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
https://twitter.com/kamfab32/status/1414365885884735494?s=21 Something seriously wrong in English football culture at least among its fans.

Yes that's pretty disgusting.

Unfortunately it happens by a minority of fans of many nations, even those nations with a small population:

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/fifa-world-cup-2018/story/fifa-fines-denmark-for-crowd-disturbances-and-sexist-banner-1269085-2018-06-25

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:16 am

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
https://twitter.com/kamfab32/status/1414365885884735494?s=21 Something seriously wrong in English football culture at least among its fans.

Yes that's pretty disgusting.

Unfortunately it happens by a minority of fans of many nations, even those nations with a small population:

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/fifa-world-cup-2018/story/fifa-fines-denmark-for-crowd-disturbances-and-sexist-banner-1269085-2018-06-25

Also not acceptable.

Flanker7

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:24 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Congrats to Italy.

You don’t get it then. It’s in the wording. “Home” as if football only has one rightful winner.

I honestly don't get why you are still going on about a song that's what it is, a song.

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:07 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

I would suggest you actually look at the lyrics of the song and maybe you'd understand it's all about hopes and dreams overcoming a harsh reality. It's coming home, is just the chorus. There's nothing arrogant about it.

But since it triggers you so much, I'll sing it even louder next time. :wave:

It's coming home. It's coming home. It's coming, football's coming home!

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 am

Flanker7 wrote:
I honestly don't get why you are still going on about a song that's what it is, a song.

It's funny that someone can be so triggered by it when it's all about hope over failure. :rotfl:

noviorbis77

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:05 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Yes here you go

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 81703.html

Doesn’t really confirm it though.

Still not to worry.

You won’t hear it again for 15 or so months, unless England fail to qualify for Qatar.

In which case, its coming home.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:20 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
In which case, its coming home.

It's coming home