Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Reinhardt

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:50 am

Not a great final, but they rarely are. Italy dominated large parts of possesion. England yet again couldn't keep the ball and there is nothing creative in the midfield (until Grelish came on). There is a major gap there and I don't understand how Southgate didn't see this much earlier and do something. Penalties were very poor except the first two which were excellent. Thought it was very unfair to have Saka take the all important one. And bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 2 mins to go and expect them just to walk up and score...nope not on.

Italy at times were ok, other times just happy to keep the ball. There was a good 10mins where every other Italy action was a foul. The tackle on Grelish in another match would have been a red card, and the pull back on Sako was just ha. Tbh Italy were not great, but they were good enough to beat England, but it was Englands own undoing than Italy being excellent.

I do wonder if the FA now actually needs supporters banned from some international matches. What happened in London (especially Leicester Square) and in the Stadium prior to kick off was utterly rediculous, let alone the apparent racist abuse from it's own fans! I really thought we were past this with England, it seems it's come back even worse than ever.

JJJ

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:58 am

Reinhardt wrote:
And bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 2 mins to go and expect them just to walk up and score...nope not on.

I'm pretty sure Southgate practiced plenty of PK shootouts and probably brought Rashford and Sancho with PKs in mind after considering all factors.

That said, PKs have a habit of not going the way you want them, especially in a final. Many coaches have players self-organise who shoots and a surprising number of players get cold feet and push themselves to the back of the line.

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 am

JJJ wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:
And bringing on Rashford and Sancho with 2 mins to go and expect them just to walk up and score...nope not on.

I'm pretty sure Southgate practiced plenty of PK shootouts and probably brought Rashford and Sancho with PKs in mind after considering all factors.

That said, PKs have a habit of not going the way you want them, especially in a final. Many coaches have players self-organise who shoots and a surprising number of players get cold feet and push themselves to the back of the line.

All the practice in the World can’t replicate the pressure of a tournament shoot-out. It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that top players often “go missing” at such times. I really feel for Rashford, Sancho and Saka - it took courage for them to put themselves forward to take a penalty especially having barely set foot on the pitch. My disappointment is that more senior players didn’t step forward - the two that did took excellent penalties.

I have to say, I hate watching a player take that stuttering run-up to a penalty. :banghead:

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:21 am

It’s coming to Rome because you expected it to come home :-D

And we’ll all wait patiently for the day it actually comes home. What’s another 100 years, right?

Now many English “fans” are harassing the players of color from their own team on Twitter, and other fora.

https://9gag.com/gag/aK6Lvbb/

https://images.app.goo.gl/NcaBET32b31wChYQA
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Palop

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:21 am

Not sure how you practice PKs. Maybe the goalkeeper, since he can look for tells and practice reaction time, but for the players it’s not about technique. It’s all mental. Every player in open play would score 75++% of the time, even the worst defenders. But as soon as it goes to PKs the calculations change. It’s now 100% a mental game. And the people who are the most likely to succeed are essentially psychopaths, because they going to have to be able to tune out 100% what the crowd will think if they fail. If that thought seeps in your penalty is done for. You can’t teach that. You either have to have the players self select or you need to keep a keen eye on your players for who doesn’t give a dann about what others think. Technique is secondary. And strikers are not necessarily stronger this way as many seems to feed on the crowd adoration. In many ways they may be worse to use in a PK shootout.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
because you expected it to come home :-D

...and you STILL don't get it. Head, meet wall.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:30 am

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

And neither do you. You started abusing the term, not us. We just went along.

But now I understand why you seem a little “off”

JJJ

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:38 am

scbriml wrote:
JJJ wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:

All the practice in the World can’t replicate the pressure of a tournament shoot-out. It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that top players often “go missing” at such times. I really feel for Rashford, Sancho and Saka - it took courage for them to put themselves forward to take a penalty especially having barely set foot on the pitch. My disappointment is that more senior players didn’t step forward - the two that did took excellent penalties.

Recently Aston Villa's own Martinez taught a lesson in PK psychology in their semi-final shoot-out vs. Colombia, trash talking Colombian PK takers and causing them to miss.

https://talksport.com/football/908275/e ... a-america/

Thanks to the empty stadium we got a glimpse of these events that often go unnoticed.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:39 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

I guess I'll take "off" every day of the week having seen the alternative.

Anyway, the tournament is over, so I guess this thread is too. Better luck next time to all but Italy.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:45 am

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

I guess I'll take "off" every day of the week having seen the alternative.

Anyway, the tournament is over, so I guess this thread is too. Better luck next time to all but Italy.

Keep banging your head against the wall, I’m sure it’ll help :-D

Bye. :wave:
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sierrakilo44

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 am

What should be considered the “home” of football, to know where “it” should be “coming to”?

Dictionary definition of home: the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

So “home” would be where “football” lives permanently. You could claim Brazil is home, as that is where the original Jules Rimet Trophy lives permanently, along with being the most successful international football nation (along with arguably the greatest impact on the game). You could say football’s permanent home is France, as FIFA is located there.

As far “home” being situated the longest, China would claim that, as FIFA has confirmed the first versions of football as being played in China in the 8th century BCE.

Scotland had invented the passing game of football before England, and the Scottish Cup is the oldest National trophy.

As far as the European Championship trophy it’s never been to England so that’s never been it’s home, that would be either Spain or Germany as joint equal most suitable “home”.

As far as clubs go the most successful Champions League and Club World Cup sides have been from Spain. The Bundesliga attracts higher average crowds than the Premier League. As far a players go the FIFA 100 best footballers had Brazil at the top with 15, and the France, Germany, Argentina, Italy and the Netherlands with more entries than England.

England’s claim is the FA wrote the first set of known rules to the game, but as we’ve seen this isn’t really the definition of “home”.

For me the “home” of football would have to be Brazil, most successful nation on an international stage and provider of the most exciting players to have played the game. England’s contribution beyond the first set of rules has been quite pitiful.

Given the disgraceful way the English fans and players acted at this competition it’ll be impossible for the world to ever consider England to be “home” to anything regarding football.

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:06 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
What should be considered the “home” of football, to know where “it” should be “coming to”?

Dictionary definition of home: the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

So “home” would be where “football” lives permanently. You could claim Brazil is home, as that is where the original Jules Rimet Trophy lives permanently, along with being the most successful international football nation (along with arguably the greatest impact on the game). You could say football’s permanent home is France, as FIFA is located there.

As far “home” being situated the longest, China would claim that, as FIFA has confirmed the first versions of football as being played in China in the 8th century BCE.

Scotland had invented the passing game of football before England, and the Scottish Cup is the oldest National trophy.

As far as the European Championship trophy it’s never been to England so that’s never been it’s home, that would be either Spain or Germany as joint equal most suitable “home”.

As far as clubs go the most successful Champions League and Club World Cup sides have been from Spain. The Bundesliga attracts higher average crowds than the Premier League. As far a players go the FIFA 100 best footballers had Brazil at the top with 15, and the France, Germany, Argentina, Italy and the Netherlands with more entries than England.

England’s claim is the FA wrote the first set of known rules to the game, but as we’ve seen this isn’t really the definition of “home”.

For me the “home” of football would have to be Brazil, most successful nation on an international stage and provider of the most exciting players to have played the game. England’s contribution beyond the first set of rules has been quite pitiful.

Given the disgraceful way the English fans and players acted at this competition it’ll be impossible for the world to ever consider England to be “home” to anything regarding football.

I wondered when you'd return to share more of your wisdom. r/whoosh

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:18 am

scbriml wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Cry more, karma is a b…. IT’S COMING TO ROME, IT’S COMING TO ROME, IT’S COMING TO ROME.

Dano1977

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:31 am

This may be a shallow victory for the Italians...

Whilst I do not take away what they have achieved, 34 matches unbeaten and winning the euros etc. The majority of the Italian national team are at the twilight of there careers both internationally and domestically.

Roberto Mancini has done the Italian national side no favours, because he's relied upon veterans and not bloodied in younger players that can be stars for the next 2-4 tournaments.

Short term gains long term failures.

Where upon the English national team has cast away the reliable older players and gone with raw talent and moulding a team that compete in future tournaments for the next world cup and Euro's

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:36 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Cry more, karma is a b…. IT’S COMING TO ROME, IT’S COMING TO ROME, IT’S COMING TO ROME.

Who's crying? Seriously, you haven't stopped whining and throwing dirt at an entire nation since the semi final. Talk about a sore loser.

"It's coming to Rome" doesn't even scan.

gkirk

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:36 am

Forza Italia!

Congratulations to Italy from your friends in Scotland! :D :D :D

We will stop deep frying your pizza now!

sierrakilo44

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:42 am

scbriml wrote:

I wondered when you'd return to share more of your wisdom.

Well here’s some wisdom for England if you want to be respected on the world stage again (almost all non-English social media I’ve seen was backing Italy).

Don’t shine lasers in opponent’s faces
Don’t boo opposing national anthems
Don’t beat up opposition fans
Don’t storm gates without tickets
Don’t act like violent hooligans when you lose
Don’t racially abuse your own players
Don’t mock an upset little girl supporting your opponents
Don’t show poor sportsmanship by taking off your silver medals because you lost

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:42 am

gkirk wrote:
Forza Italia!

:-D All of Europe was behind Italy I think. Forza Azzurri.

Brexit 2.0 you (England) can now sail off into the Atlantic :bigthumbsup:

Bye scbriml, it was a pleasure. :-D

Dano1977

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:53 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
gkirk wrote:
Forza Italia!

:-D All of Europe was behind Italy I think. Forza Azzurri.

Brexit 2.0 you (England) can now sail off into the Atlantic :bigthumbsup:

Would you like some fish, to go with that chip on your shoulder? :yes: :spit:

sierrakilo44

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:59 am

Dano1977 wrote:

Hardly, they won a major international tournament. That doesn’t happen often. Ask the English.....

Roberto Mancini has done the Italian national side no favours, because he's relied upon veterans and not bloodied in younger players that can be stars for the next 2-4 tournaments.

Donnarumma won the match for Italy, he’s 22. Chiesa was the best player on the pitch for the first 90mins, he’s 23. Emerson’s 26.

This tournament proved a nice of experience and youth is the way to go to win. Cheillini and Bonnucci proving age isn’t necessarily a barrier.

Compare this to tennis, Djokovic is in the best form of his career at age 34, easily swatting aside opponents 10 years younger. Federer and Nadal winning majors with ease at 37 and 34. According to that philosophy they should be “in the twilight” well by then and losing.

Where upon the English national team has cast away the reliable older players and gone with raw talent and moulding a team that compete in future tournaments for the next world cup and Euro's

In modern football rarely are we going to get a team as dominant as Spain 2008-2012 again. Chances are England will only get one shot a major final with this squad, and they blew it. Just because a team is young doesn’t guarantee success, you’d be hard pressed to put any of the England squad in the world’s 20 best footballers, maybe Kane, maybe not but no one else.

JJJ

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:26 pm

And Donnarumma gets best player (and deservedly so, winning two shootouts in a row).

While Pedri gets the best young player award.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news ... ce=twitter

Too bad Fati couldn't make it.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:28 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

How rude. Anyway, I assumed AirPacific747 was male.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

How rude. Anyway, I assumed AirPacific747 was male.

Never assume anything, like how you should never assume victory before it's a reality. Will you never learn? Anyway, your loss. Keep crying :bouncy:

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:56 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

Never assume anything, like how you should never assume victory before it's a reality. Will you never learn? Anyway, your loss. Keep crying :bouncy:

I assumed victory? Where / when was that?

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Anyway I’ll just leave this here for you to watch:

“Brexit mentality enables the ugliness of our country”

https://youtu.be/2-mUMpJVBxA

Bye.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:17 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Bye.

You're preaching to the choir. Most of your posts have lumped any English supporter here into the racist, violent minority that exists in many (even most) football playing nations. Not one person has condoned any of those things within this group. Their actions bring shame to a nation and I'd happily see them punished severely.

I teach my children not to judge any person by the actions of any other. To do so would make us not much different (in fact pretty much exactly the same) as a typical racist.

Not one English supporter here has had any complaint about our loss in the final, yet you have posted time and again about having your tournament stolen from you by an underserving England team, even after you learned that your single goal, according to the rules, should not have stood.

Yet apparently we are the crying sore losers?

If you want to address the scum minority of the England "supporters" then be my guest, but you wont find too many of them here.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:20 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Bye.

You're preaching to the choir. Most of your posts have lumped any English supporter here into the racist, violent minority that exists in many (even most) football playing nations. Not one person has condoned any of those things within this group. Their actions bring shame to a nation and I'd happily see them punished severely.

I teach my children not to judge any person by the actions of any other. To do so would make us not much different (in fact pretty much exactly the same) as a typical racist.

Not one English supporter here has had any complaint about our loss in the final, yet you have posted time and again about having your tournament stolen from you by an underserving England team, even after you learned that your single goal, according to the rules, should not have stood.

Yet apparently we are the crying sore losers?

If you want to address the scum minority of the England "supporters" then be my guest, but you wont find too many of them here.

Just watch the video mate. Watch and learn.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:35 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

I didn't vote for Brexit and the issues you've raised pre-date it by decades mate. Those same issues exist in domestic football in England, Italy, Russia, Croatia (the list could go on and on) and in international football outside of Europe. Brexit may be an additional catalyst, but it is not the cause.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

I didn't vote for Brexit and the issues you've raised pre-date it by decades mate. Those same issues exist in domestic football in England, Italy, Russia, Croatia (the list could go on and on) and in international football outside of Europe. Brexit may be an additional catalyst, but it is not the cause.

Same typical argument. “I didn’t vote for Brexit” (but I secretly support it.) If you’ve followed other threads, you’d realize I’m also critical against Russia and also my own country regarding certain matters.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:42 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

Same typical argument. “I didn’t vote for Brexit” (but I secretly support it.)

Wow, just wow.

Dutchy

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:00 pm

Italy was the best team at this tournament. So a rightful victory. And England did well, quite unexpectedly for me, kuddos for that.

alfa164

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Italy was the best team at this tournament. So a rightful victory. And England did well, quite unexpectedly for me, kuddos for that.

I really felt like Italy vs. Spain should have been the final, but the group draw prevented that from happening.

England, on the other hand, came and played far better than I had expected; kudos to them for "hanging in there" and showing us that, on any given day, a team can rise to its potential and inspire a nation.

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:36 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Apparently, nobody outside England really does irony. :roll:

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm

scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

I learned it at hooligan school, which might explain it ;)

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:39 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

The pleasure was all mine - beating Denmark and witnessing your meltdown was priceless. :wave:

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:40 pm

alfa164 wrote:
England, on the other hand, came and played far better than I had expected; kudos to them for "hanging in there" and showing us that, on any given day, a team can rise to its potential and inspire a nation.

All the above banter aside, Denmark too. Lost first 2 games and still managed to finish 2nd in the group and went on to win 2 more knockout games. Even ignoring the Eriksen issue that ain't bad.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:41 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

The pleasure was all mine - beating Denmark and witnessing your meltdown was priceless. :wave:

Or simply wishing for a fair match under equal terms? That’s obviously not part of your or UEFAs playbook. You deserved what was coming for you.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

All the above banter aside, Denmark too. Lost first 2 games and still managed to finish 2nd in the group and went on to win 2 more knockout games. Even ignoring the Eriksen issue that ain't bad.

Thanks! England did well too.

scbriml

Virtual737 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Was that lesson between Laser Pointer 101 and Advanced Mocking Little Girls?

AirPacific747

scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

We love irony and especially self irony, but you’re confusing irony with arrogance.
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:43 pm

scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Was that lesson between Laser Pointer 101 and Advanced Mocking Little Girls?

I believe it was during the imitation of Russian fans lesson

scbriml

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:48 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Or simply wishing for a fair match under equal terms? That’s obviously not part of your or UEFAs playbook.

Still whining! :rotfl:

Try reading "If" by Rudyard Kipling. :wave:

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:50 pm

scbriml wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Or simply wishing for a fair match under equal terms? That’s obviously not part of your or UEFAs playbook.

Still whining! :rotfl:

Try reading "If" by Rudyard Kipling. :wave:

Aww I feel sorry for you then. Good luck next year :-)

Here’s some danish bacon to make you feel better.

Virtual737

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:53 pm

In all seriousness, I do love a bit of banter around a subject that often makes people act in ways they otherwise wouldn't (ie football). Very tempted to setup a Discord or similar group for Qatar 2024.

As long as everyone understands that... it's not personal.

AirPacific747

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
As long as everyone understands that... it's not personal.

Oh, it’s personal. :twisted:

Jetty

Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:20 pm

scbriml wrote:

Rashford, Sancho and Saka didn't put themselves forward nor did more senior players refuse. The coach made the decision as he said himself and is clearly visible in the pre-shootout organizing. Your praise for Rashford, Sancho and Saka is undeserved, people seem to want to sugercoat their performance to overcompensate the vile abuse they receive.

Reinhardt wrote:
I do wonder if the FA now actually needs supporters banned from some international matches. What happened in London (especially Leicester Square) and in the Stadium prior to kick off was utterly rediculous, let alone the apparent racist abuse from it's own fans! I really thought we were past this with England, it seems it's come back even worse than ever.

It was a bad idea to have the final in England from the start. Why would you want to organize it in the country that is known for having the most obnoxious and violent 'supporters'?

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Sport champions live in a glorified world but this doesn’t come for free.
In exchange they are expected not only to play amazingly but also to act as a role model for the younger generations.

What I don’t really get here is the message that a large portion of the England soccer team sent out loud yesterday evening when they decided to take out their (very honorable and respectable) silver medals in front of the cameras.

An unnecessary act that doesn’t send out any positive message about the true meaning of sport, team effort and respect for the millions who supported England from the deep of they hearts.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:25 pm

hbernal1 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
ITALIA!!!!!!!!! CHAMPIONS!!!! What a Penalty shootout! Italy owed a lot to their Goalkeeper he is amazing!

Italy have such an advantage in penalty shootouts with Donarruma in goal. He's tall and imposing, and he strikes fear into opposing penalty-takers. Forza Azzurri!

That's how a team picks themselves up after not featuring in the last World Cup in Russia.

He is for sure the X factor I think one of his best plays was in regulation there was a ball played in the box and he jumped over everyone to get it. I have never seen a GK get that high.

Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:42 am

Dano1977 wrote:

Whilst I do not take away what they have achieved, 34 matches unbeaten and winning the euros etc. The majority of the Italian national team are at the twilight of there careers both internationally and domestically.

Roberto Mancini has done the Italian national side has no favours, because he's relied upon veterans and not bloodied in younger players that can be stars for the next 2-4 tournaments.

Short term gains long term failures.

Nice try, but there are a lot of examples of teams with “reliable older players with raw talent” which haven’t made it to a final at all or just once.

Reinhardt

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:22 am

Reinhardt wrote:

It was a bad idea to have the final in England from the start. Why would you want to organize it in the country that is known for having the most obnoxious and violent 'supporters'?[/quote]

Based on what's happened the last decade I don't agree with that. Yes there has been isolated incidents at away matches but England matches at home have generally gone off without incident. England doesn't have the most violent supporters by any stretch. Last time England hosted a major football tournament there were hardly any problems, and the Olympics were great. What happened wasn't expected, at all.