Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Virtual737

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:28 am

Reinhardt wrote:
Based on what's happened the last decade I don't agree with that. Yes there has been isolated incidents at away matches but England matches at home have generally gone off without incident. England doesn't have the most violent supporters by any stretch. Last time England hosted a major football tournament there were hardly any problems, and the Olympics were great. What happened wasn't expected, at all.

Oh we have some obnoxious fans alright. Cannot argue with that. Are they the worst in the world, or even in Europe? That I don't know.

What is clear though is that this thread has many people living in glass houses but still throwing stones.

noviorbis77

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:33 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
What should be considered the “home” of football, to know where “it” should be “coming to”?

Dictionary definition of home: the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

So “home” would be where “football” lives permanently. You could claim Brazil is home, as that is where the original Jules Rimet Trophy lives permanently, along with being the most successful international football nation (along with arguably the greatest impact on the game). You could say football’s permanent home is France, as FIFA is located there.

As far “home” being situated the longest, China would claim that, as FIFA has confirmed the first versions of football as being played in China in the 8th century BCE.

Scotland had invented the passing game of football before England, and the Scottish Cup is the oldest National trophy.

As far as the European Championship trophy it’s never been to England so that’s never been it’s home, that would be either Spain or Germany as joint equal most suitable “home”.

As far as clubs go the most successful Champions League and Club World Cup sides have been from Spain. The Bundesliga attracts higher average crowds than the Premier League. As far a players go the FIFA 100 best footballers had Brazil at the top with 15, and the France, Germany, Argentina, Italy and the Netherlands with more entries than England.

England’s claim is the FA wrote the first set of known rules to the game, but as we’ve seen this isn’t really the definition of “home”.

For me the “home” of football would have to be Brazil, most successful nation on an international stage and provider of the most exciting players to have played the game. England’s contribution beyond the first set of rules has been quite pitiful.

Given the disgraceful way the English fans and players acted at this competition it’ll be impossible for the world to ever consider England to be “home” to anything regarding football.

England gave the world the beautiful game.

We have the oldest rules.

We have the oldest club.

We have the oldest football stadium.

Sheffield in England is the rightful home of football.

Brazil is not the home of football LOL.

GDB

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
because you expected it to come home :-D

...and you STILL don't get it. Head, meet wall.

And neither do you. You started abusing the term, not us. We just went along.

But now I understand why you seem a little “off”

Are you being obtuse for the hell of it or just really don't get it?
To be so obsessed with some 25 year old song. Which was written for Euro 96, which happened to be the first international Football event hosted in England since 1966, hence it's coming home to the nation that invented the sport, hence also the ironic lyrics about the lack of England success since then.
It's really not that complicated and for me, a frankly forgettable song, not for you though it seems.

As for the disgrace of a few fans, aside from themselves, those running the stadium on Sunday as well as those in power who at the start failed to condemn the booing then when England started to advanced pretended that they gave a shit or even knew about the game, my comments would be unprintable.
So;
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -at-itself

seahawk

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:28 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
What should be considered the “home” of football, to know where “it” should be “coming to”?

Dictionary definition of home: the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

So “home” would be where “football” lives permanently. You could claim Brazil is home, as that is where the original Jules Rimet Trophy lives permanently, along with being the most successful international football nation (along with arguably the greatest impact on the game). You could say football’s permanent home is France, as FIFA is located there.

As far “home” being situated the longest, China would claim that, as FIFA has confirmed the first versions of football as being played in China in the 8th century BCE.

Scotland had invented the passing game of football before England, and the Scottish Cup is the oldest National trophy.

As far as the European Championship trophy it’s never been to England so that’s never been it’s home, that would be either Spain or Germany as joint equal most suitable “home”.

As far as clubs go the most successful Champions League and Club World Cup sides have been from Spain. The Bundesliga attracts higher average crowds than the Premier League. As far a players go the FIFA 100 best footballers had Brazil at the top with 15, and the France, Germany, Argentina, Italy and the Netherlands with more entries than England.

England’s claim is the FA wrote the first set of known rules to the game, but as we’ve seen this isn’t really the definition of “home”.

For me the “home” of football would have to be Brazil, most successful nation on an international stage and provider of the most exciting players to have played the game. England’s contribution beyond the first set of rules has been quite pitiful.

Given the disgraceful way the English fans and players acted at this competition it’ll be impossible for the world to ever consider England to be “home” to anything regarding football.

England gave the world the beautiful game.

We have the oldest rules.

We have the oldest club.

We have the oldest football stadium.

Sheffield in England is the rightful home of football.

Brazil is not the home of football LOL.

England is the home of football. The best fans and the best clubs.

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:34 am

GDB wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

To be so obsessed with some 25 year old song. Which was written for Euro 96, which happened to be the first international Football event hosted in England since 1966, hence it's coming home to the nation that invented the sport, hence also the ironic lyrics about the lack of England success since then.
It's really not that complicated and for me, a frankly forgettable song, not for you though it seems.

As for the disgrace of a few fans, aside from themselves, those running the stadium on Sunday as well as those in power who at the start failed to condemn the booing then when England started to advanced pretended that they gave a shit or even knew about the game, my comments would be unprintable.
So;

All I can say is that when close to all of Europe is rooting for Italy, do you think maybe the problem could lie with England and not everyone else?

noviorbis77

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:40 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
GDB wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

So;

All I can say is that when close to all of Europe is rooting for Italy, do you think maybe the problem could lie with England and not everyone else?

Do you honestly think anyone in England cares?

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:01 am

noviorbis77 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
GDB wrote:

So;

Maybe not, and that’s kind of part of the problem tbh

Virtual737

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 am

AirPacific747 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdS15iIddU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYvdLui8EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yL_8H-MGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v97Y6ep5QE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7enK_mqogA

Not one English person in this thread has said that there is not an issue or in any way condoned the actions of the nutters. However, to even hint that the problem is solely or even mainly an England only issue just shows how blinkered some people are and it will do nothing to fix the issues. Gives you something to moan about though eh?

Mainland Europe has been both consciously and subconsciously biased against England and to almost the same extent the UK for decades. it's nothing new, it didn't start anywhere near Brexit and it's not limited to football. Understand that and then perhaps you might have a better handle on why many in the UK aren't prepared to be told how they should behave by anyone who can't see the same exact issues in their own. Take a look at the Eurovision Song Contest results for the past 20 years as an example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest it's no big deal and the UK should have pulled the funding for the EBU many years ago. Call it the Mainland Eurovision (and Australia) Song Contest and be on your way.

We know there are problems that absolutely have to be sorted, but point the finger, lob the accusations and lay the blame somewhere else only when your nations are not guilty of the same. To laud Italy as the perfect example of a football supporting nation just means you must have had your head in the sand for years. The racist abuse there is probably just as bad, if not worse, than it is anywhere else. Some examples in the clips above, many others all over the place. You wont see me accusing Italy of being the culprit though.

GDB

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:28 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
GDB wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

So;

You seem unaware that at least one major Italian club, not the national team granted, has a terrible reputation for far right activity with it's 'supporters', including as I mentioned up thread when they came to Scotland.
Or do you know and that just spoils your whole narrative? England so bad everyone else so good.

I thought ALL the booing disgusting, at anthems, at Italy having possession but don't try and tell me this does not go on also elsewhere and often to a far greater extent.
Try being a non white England (or any other team member) at games in certain other European nations, where UEFA seem to admonish rather less the clubs or host nations involved.

Back here, where the hell were the police at the stadium, the force run by someone not well regarded I might add.
As for all the abuse on social media, well that issue goes way beyond football.

noviorbis77

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:38 am

AirPacific747 wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

Maybe not, and that’s kind of part of the problem tbh

Why?

It is a sport.

Competitive sport.

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:16 pm

Guys, relax :-D it’ll come home some day. I’m a strong believer ;-)

Virtual737

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:17 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

So sing along....;)

It's coming home, it's coming home....

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:41 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

So sing along....;)

… but all roads lead to Rome, to Rome, to Rome :-D

marcelh

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:

:spit: you owe me a keyboard…

scbriml

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:19 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
I believe it was during the imitation of Russian fans lesson

Are they the ones that have organised fights between rival fans? Oh no my bad, those are Danish fans.

AirPacific747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

Apparently, nobody outside England really does irony. :roll:

We love irony and especially self irony, but you’re confusing irony with arrogance.

Apparently you can't see the irony of getting triggered by a song that highlights failures. :rotfl:

AirPacific747 wrote:
… but all roads lead to Rome, to Rome, to Rome

Meh, still doesn't scan, but keep trying. :D

scbriml

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Not one English person in this thread has said that there is not an issue or in any way condoned the actions of the nutters. However, to even hint that the problem is solely or even mainly an England only issue just shows how blinkered some people are and it will do nothing to fix the issues. Gives you something to moan about though eh?

That's something that the detractors would rather ignore.

Just like they apparently ignored the guy who started a fundraiser for the crying German girl
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 44103.html

Just like they chose to ignore the responses to the racist abuse of Rashford and others
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-57816588

GDB wrote:
I thought ALL the booing disgusting, at anthems, at Italy having possession but don't try and tell me this does not go on also elsewhere and often to a far greater extent.

The booing of the anthems has been condemned by everyone. Just as the booing at taking a knee has been. Anyone who's ever watched any European football knows full well the away team is booed and jeered at for the duration of the game. To try and paint that as "an English problem" is laughable.

Virtual737 wrote:
What is clear though is that this thread has many people living in glass houses but still throwing stones.

The sound of breaking glass is deafening.

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

That's something that the detractors would rather ignore.

Just like they apparently ignored the guy who started a fundraiser for the crying German girl
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 44103.html

Just like they chose to ignore the responses to the racist abuse of Rashford and others
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-57816588

GDB wrote:

The booing of the anthems has been condemned by everyone. Just as the booing at taking a knee has been. Anyone who's ever watched any European football knows full well the away team is booed and jeered at for the duration of the game. To try and paint that as "an English problem" is laughable.

Virtual737 wrote:

The sound of breaking glass is deafening.

scbriml, the cup is over. Get some fresh air, looks like you need it.

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:45 pm

marcelh wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

:spit: you owe me a keyboard…

8-) sorry

Virtual737

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:47 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:

So sing along....;)

I have to admit, that one wasn't a bad comeback for you ;) A nice change.

AirPacific747

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

So sing along....;)

I have to admit, that one wasn't a bad comeback for you ;) A nice change.

You’re welcome to use it as an inspiration too ;-)

atcsundevil

Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:59 pm

Since the tournament is finished and the thread has largely gone off topic, it will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil