Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 9
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:58 am

I think we should have a threat for the upcoming Euro 2020 tournament, though it'll be muted what with there being a pandemic and all, excitement is starting to build.

In light of the current situation a tournament hosted across multiple countries isn't really a good idea, but it'll be good to see so many home fans cheering their teams on. I don't have tremendously high hopes for England, but they should approach something exciting when their best players are all back (as they should be in a week's time). Hard to see past France winning it again as their squad is so good and they have the experience of winning. Belgium should be close contenders, Italy look good, Portugal have a good squad but we've yet to see them fire. I'm particularly looking forward to the games between France, Germany and Portugal in Group F, plus the England vs Scotland grudge match.
 
gkirk
Posts: 23453
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2000 3:29 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:17 am

First tournament for Scotland since 1998. As long as we beat the English, I'll be happy :D
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12418
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 am

NO hopes for the Dutch team, unfortunatelly. Italy indeed looks good. I would say France and Italy have the best chance of winning this year.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:56 am

gkirk wrote:
First tournament for Scotland since 1998. As long as we beat the English, I'll be happy :D


Tough ask. To beat this England team requires either a superior possession game (which Scotland don't have), a high pressing game (which runs the risk of England's attackers getting past it and finding space in dangerous areas) or a compact team (which risks a fluke goal, set piece or moment of magic). Top teams find that balance, but Scotland haven't shown those qualities consistently enough for me to think they can keep pressure on England's weak points for long spells without being unacceptably exposed at the back. I expect it to be a close game as it's a fierce contest, but I'd predict an England win.
 
marcelh
Posts: 1442
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am

Dutchy wrote:
NO hopes for the Dutch team, unfortunatelly. Italy indeed looks good. I would say France and Italy have the best chance of winning this year.


With some luck they will become first in their group (C) and even win the next round before getting kicked out in the quarter finals..
 
aerosreenivas
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm

I want to see England team winning Euro 2020 this time.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14332
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
NO hopes for the Dutch team, unfortunatelly. Italy indeed looks good. I would say France and Italy have the best chance of winning this year.


I hope Italy looks good they just came off some bad years!
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:44 pm

aerosreenivas wrote:
I want to see England team winning Euro 2020 this time.


Me too! I also want to marry a Dutch supermodel and have my own private island, those two are at least somewhat realistic aspirations!

NIKV69 wrote:

I hope Italy looks good they just came off some bad years!


Italy don't have superstars, but they've been impressive recently and I think they'll be tough opponents even for a team like France.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12418
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:43 pm

marcelh wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
NO hopes for the Dutch team, unfortunatelly. Italy indeed looks good. I would say France and Italy have the best chance of winning this year.


With some luck they will become first in their group (C) and even win the next round before getting kicked out in the quarter finals..


Yup: Cheering song for the Dutch, De Spelt (Dutch: The Onion)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:00 pm

Well played by Italy, resulting in a fully deserved and convincing victory over Turkey.
Signature. You just read one.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Well played by Italy, resulting in a fully deserved and convincing victory over Turkey.


Turkey were poor though.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
gkirk
Posts: 23453
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2000 3:29 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:30 pm

Turkey were poor yes, but Italy were very impressive with their pressing, and vvery ambitious going forward compared to conservative/defensive Italian team of past.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!
 
User avatar
Grizzly410
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:43 pm

gkirk wrote:
Turkey were poor yes, but Italy were very impressive with their pressing, and vvery ambitious going forward compared to conservative/defensive Italian team of past.


That's a bit the Italy 2.0 we are promised, but make no mistake : if it comes to it they'll master a catenaccio defense ! :D
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:58 am

aerosreenivas wrote:
I want to see England team winning Euro 2020 this time.


England is overrated. Just because the Premier League is the biggest league in the world and English presenters dominate football media a lot of English think their team automatically qualifies as best in the world.

Here’s a list of nations that England have defeated at knockout rounds of major tournaments since 1966:

1986 Paraguay
1990 Belgium, Cameroon
1996 Spain
2002 Denmark
2006 Ecuador
2018 Sweden, Columbia

That’s it. Never defeated Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay at a tournament knockout stage since 66.

I’d say they got an easy draw in 2018 and were beaten by the two good sides they came up against (Belgium, Croatia).

They really don’t deserve the attention they always get
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:52 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
aerosreenivas wrote:
I want to see England team winning Euro 2020 this time.


England is overrated. Just because the Premier League is the biggest league in the world and English presenters dominate football media a lot of English think their team automatically qualifies as best in the world.

Here’s a list of nations that England have defeated at knockout rounds of major tournaments since 1966:

1986 Paraguay
1990 Belgium, Cameroon
1996 Spain
2002 Denmark
2006 Ecuador
2018 Sweden, Columbia

That’s it. Never defeated Germany, France, Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay at a tournament knockout stage since 66.

I’d say they got an easy draw in 2018 and were beaten by the two good sides they came up against (Belgium, Croatia).

They really don’t deserve the attention they always get


'Overrated' is an overused and fairly meaningless cliché, how good England are perceived to be vs how good they are is quite irrelevant to how good they actually are. I think the last few years have made England fans very pessimistic about their team, and I barely see anyone building them up.

Regardless, I don't think England will win, but there are a lot of players now who are good, been a while since technical players of this calibre have been available, and none of the top teams can afford to dismiss them as a threat, that complacency could easily bite them.

England get attention because they are despised by many, scorn and stick still generate attention.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14415
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:32 am

I'm not a football fan although I will watch my national team matches usually (during the tournaments, not the qualifiers or friendlies). I've read an article some time ago explaining that France was the source of many good players, thanks to how discovering and training them as kids etc. is organized here, only for these players to get poached by foreign clubs, in particular UK clubs. I guess one consequence is that England doesn't have many good players with English nationality as a result.

Brexit was supposed to have an impact on the ability to get foreign players but I have no idea if it really changed something.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm not a football fan although I will watch my national team matches usually (during the tournaments, not the qualifiers or friendlies). I've read an article some time ago explaining that France was the source of many good players, thanks to how discovering and training them as kids etc. is organized here, only for these players to get poached by foreign clubs, in particular UK clubs. I guess one consequence is that England doesn't have many good players with English nationality as a result.

Brexit was supposed to have an impact on the ability to get foreign players but I have no idea if it really changed something.


France has turned out a stupidly high number of good players, that much is true, and they leave for the clubs in Germany, Spain, Italy and France at a young age, that much is true.

England don't actually have that many problems developing good players, work has gone in to improve the coaching, so now we see much better players starting to appear from academies, but the managers/coaches haven't followed suit. If England had better managers who used what was available properly then they'd be a tough opponent for any team, and would probably make semifinals/finals if everything went well. As it is, they are quite mediocre.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4217
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Denmark finland niw. Not sure what happened but something’s seriously wrong with Eriksen. He’s being reanimated on the field. I hooe he’ll pull through.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:08 pm

petertenthije wrote:
Denmark finland niw. Not sure what happened but something’s seriously wrong with Eriksen. He’s being reanimated on the field. I hooe he’ll pull through.


Horrific scenes. He was jogging towards the ball and just collapsed. Clearly seen to be receiving CPR before the cameras pulled back. Hoping for the best, but looks very bad, many players obviously distraught.

Match has apparently been abandoned.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
CPH-R
Posts: 6167
Joined: Thu May 03, 2001 5:19 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Match has been suspended, though I seriously doubt it'll be restarted tonight, with several players looking like they were in shock.
 
THS214
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Eriksen started to collapse 3 metres before the ball. Immediately he was unconscious. immediately after that his legs had like a cramp and later CPR moved. First time Finland in these games and no-one here things about our playing but Eriksen health. Finnish tv has stopped the program. Wishes to Eriksen and Denmark from Finland.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4217
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:24 pm

According to dutch live tv, Erikssen was taken away by ambulance.

There are unconfirmed reports he is concious, having apparantly raised his hand while on the gurney.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 pm

According to Danish media there will be more information released at 19.45 CEST (15 minutes from now).

Official info from UEFA says that Christian Eriksen has been stabilized and more info at 19.45.

Following the medical emergency involving Denmark’s player Christian Eriksen, a crisis meeting has taken place with both teams and
match officials and further information will be communicated at 19:45 CET.

The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised.


https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409

Very relieving to hear that he is alive and stable.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
THS214
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:36 pm

petertenthije wrote:
According to dutch live tv, Erikssen was taken away by ambulance.

There are unconfirmed reports he is concious, having apparantly raised his hand while on the gurney.


Unfortunately that hand over head could have been put there. Same with open eyes when taken away. His eyes were open when collapses. Lets wait for official information. Wishing him and Danes all the best.
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4217
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Danish football association confirmed Erikson is awake and taken to hospital. Good news, all things considered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DBUfodbold/s ... 4655080449
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989
 
THS214
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:38 pm

UEFA: "The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised." Great news!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:42 pm

THS214 wrote:
UEFA: "The player has been transferred to the hospital and has been stabilised." Great news!


Great news. It was hard seeing his wife at the side of the pitch clearly distressed.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14415
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm

Just seen this on French TV, they showed a picture taken when he was evacuated and he had his head raised and eyes opened, seemed "OK" overall.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Game to resume at 20.30 CEST according to AP:

"Denmark v Finland resuming at 1830 GMT after Eriksen collapse: Danish FA"
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1403776266851991552
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
THS214
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:10 pm

The game continues again shortly.
 
THS214
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:13 pm

After what happened Finnish fans started to scream Christian and Danes screamed Eriksen. Call about football fans.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Following the request made by players of both teams, UEFA has agreed to restart the match between Denmark and Finland tonight at 20:30 CET (TBC).
The last four minutes of the first half will be played, there will then be a 5-minute half-time break followed by the second half.


UEFA later corrected themselves to the last 5 minutes of first half.

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403775827104370696
https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403777945567744009
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
THS214
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Now the Finnish team applauded when Danes came to the field. So proud of being a Finn!
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9848
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:37 pm

THS214 wrote:
Now the Finnish team applauded when Danes came to the field. So proud of being a Finn!



Good sportsmanship!
 
gkirk
Posts: 23453
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2000 3:29 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:02 pm

Absolutely shocking what happened to Eriksen, hope he makes a full recovery.

Football wise,congrats to Finlandon their 1-0 victory.
Wales 1 Switzerland 1.
Belgium 3 Russia 0.

Belgium looking good without KdB.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:20 pm

gkirk wrote:
Absolutely shocking what happened to Eriksen, hope he makes a full recovery.


I hope he will, but I suspect he's played his last game of professional football.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Poland had a nice run to the quarterfinals at EURO 2016 but I don't know if they're going to be able to replicate that this time around. They made the curious move to fire the coach that had qualified them for the tournament, and in his place they brought in a Portuguese guy. I believe he's only the second foreign coach they've ever had and so far under his direction they've only managed to win one of five games, and that was against Andorra. With Lewandowski I suppose we'll always have a chance though.

THS214 wrote:
Eriksen started to collapse 3 metres before the ball. Immediately he was unconscious. immediately after that his legs had like a cramp and later CPR moved. First time Finland in these games and no-one here things about our playing but Eriksen health. Finnish tv has stopped the program. Wishes to Eriksen and Denmark from Finland.

I was watching the game live and while I wasn't focused in on the screen the moment he stumbled over, I could tell right away it didn't look good when they showed a zoomed-in view of him lying on the ground. The whole thing was pretty distressing to witness and I'm surprised the broadcast continued to show the medics administering CPR to him. At one point you could even make out the moment they shocked him with the defibrillator. It didn't look like they were still doing chest compressions when they wheeled him off the field so that gave me some hope that his condition had improved. Obviously the medical staff should be praised for successfully reviving him, but it did seem like it took about 1.5-2 minutes before they started resuscitating him. I'm an EMT and just about anyone who's received training in basic life support knows that the first thing you do when someone's unresponsive is you check their pulse, and if its absent you start CPR right away. In that sort of situation every second counts.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15061
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:38 pm

gkirk wrote:
Absolutely shocking what happened to Eriksen, hope he makes a full recovery.

Football wise,congrats to Finlandon their 1-0 victory.
Wales 1 Switzerland 1.
Belgium 3 Russia 0.

Belgium looking good without KdB.


Horrible to watch but not that shocking. This is fairly common in marathon runners and athletes. A lot of people assume they can judge a person's health and condition by physique but many athletes do not have their tickers adequately checked for the stress they are putting them through. Many things in nature work on a bell curve, and what athletes are doing is definitely on one of the extremes.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
petertenthije
Posts: 4217
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:54 am

mke717spotter wrote:
The whole thing was pretty distressing to witness and I'm surprised the broadcast continued to show the medics administering CPR to him.

That surprised me as well. If there’s a streaker the camera angle changes before the viewer even realises something is wrong. Yet, a life-or-death struggle is broadcast pretty much beginning to end except for a few interruptions showing the reaction from the public and the other players.
The first thing to remember is always treat your kite like you treat your woman.
Get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
Lord Flashheart, 1989
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:48 am

mke717spotter wrote:
Obviously the medical staff should be praised for successfully reviving him, but it did seem like it took about 1.5-2 minutes before they started resuscitating him. I'm an EMT and just about anyone who's received training in basic life support knows that the first thing you do when someone's unresponsive is you check their pulse, and if its absent you start CPR right away. In that sort of situation every second counts.

Some clarification:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/denmark-den ... -postponed

Speaking after the game, Denmark team doctor Morten Boesen, who came out to treat Eriksen, described what happened.

"I want to start by saying that I've had a talk with Christian's family. I'm not going to say anything in detail right now. I want to say what we've seen, Boesen said. "We were called on to the pitch when Christian fell down. I didn't see it myself, but it was pretty clear that he was unconscious. When I got to him, he is on his side. He is breathing and I can feel his pulse, but suddenly that changes. And as everyone saw, we started giving him CPR."


petertenthije wrote:
That surprised me as well. If there’s a streaker the camera angle changes before the viewer even realises something is wrong. Yet, a life-or-death struggle is broadcast pretty much beginning to end except for a few interruptions showing the reaction from the public and the other players.

Apparently there is a single "world feed." I've seen a lot of outrage on social media towards ESPN and BBC but I'm not sure if its UEFA or who that controls the output.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
B777LRF
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:51 am

The world feed is controlled by UEFA, but it's up to each broadcaster when to cut that feed. Danish TV cut the feed the moment CPR was administered and switched to a helicopter feed of the stadium. They didn't resume broadcasting the world feed until the last moments when Christian was taken away on a stretcher, shielded by blankets and a Finnish flag.

Some may have noticed that the Danish captain, Simon Kjær, was substituted half-way through the second half. Not because of an injury, he simply couldn't continue playing after what happened to his best friend. Simon was also the first guy on the spot, having sprinted 2/3rds of a field length, checking his airways and making sure he was breathing. Once the medical staff was on site, he organised the ring of players who shielded Christian from view, and then went to the side of the pitch to comfort Christian's girl friend. He behaved like a true friend and a true captain, a "real man" who thought of others first and assumed his duties as a captain with dignity, conviction and strength.

We lost the match, but we won a life. And that's all that really matters.
Signature. You just read one.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:11 am

B777LRF wrote:
The world feed is controlled by UEFA, but it's up to each broadcaster when to cut that feed. Danish TV cut the feed the moment CPR was administered and switched to a helicopter feed of the stadium. They didn't resume broadcasting the world feed until the last moments when Christian was taken away on a stretcher, shielded by blankets and a Finnish flag.

Some may have noticed that the Danish captain, Simon Kjær, was substituted half-way through the second half. Not because of an injury, he simply couldn't continue playing after what happened to his best friend. Simon was also the first guy on the spot, having sprinted 2/3rds of a field length, checking his airways and making sure he was breathing. Once the medical staff was on site, he organised the ring of players who shielded Christian from view, and then went to the side of the pitch to comfort Christian's girl friend. He behaved like a true friend and a true captain, a "real man" who thought of others first and assumed his duties as a captain with dignity, conviction and strength.

We lost the match, but we won a life. And that's all that really matters.


:checkmark:

The Danish team deserves full credit for even playing the rest of the game. Nobody would fault them if they'd decided to simple forfeit the game (although I suspect UEFA would not be happy about that).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Danish team manager says Eriksen suffered a myocardial infarct

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10002029
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 12418
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 pm

scbriml wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
The world feed is controlled by UEFA, but it's up to each broadcaster when to cut that feed. Danish TV cut the feed the moment CPR was administered and switched to a helicopter feed of the stadium. They didn't resume broadcasting the world feed until the last moments when Christian was taken away on a stretcher, shielded by blankets and a Finnish flag.

Some may have noticed that the Danish captain, Simon Kjær, was substituted half-way through the second half. Not because of an injury, he simply couldn't continue playing after what happened to his best friend. Simon was also the first guy on the spot, having sprinted 2/3rds of a field length, checking his airways and making sure he was breathing. Once the medical staff was on site, he organised the ring of players who shielded Christian from view, and then went to the side of the pitch to comfort Christian's girl friend. He behaved like a true friend and a true captain, a "real man" who thought of others first and assumed his duties as a captain with dignity, conviction and strength.

We lost the match, but we won a life. And that's all that really matters.


:checkmark:

The Danish team deserves full credit for even playing the rest of the game. Nobody would fault them if they'd decided to simple forfeit the game (although I suspect UEFA would not be happy about that).


I feel that the UEFA should have protected the Danish team and just cancel the game. Sure it would rave havoc in the schedule, but that would have been the humane thing to do.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19949
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:15 pm

Today's results:

England 1 - 0 Croatia
Revenge for England after losing to Croatia in the World Cup semi-final in 2018. A young England team played well for extended periods and were well worth the win. Croatia don't look as potent a team as they did in reaching the last World Cup final.

Austria 3 - 1 North Macedonia
A decent game with the scoreline somewhat flattering Austria.

Netherlands 3 - 2 Ukraine
After a goalless but quite exciting first half, the game exploded in the second half - the Netherlands moved into a 2-0 lead, before Ukraine drew level with two stunning goals. The Netherlands took the decisive lead with five minutes remaining, but the Ukraine keeper will probably feel he should have saved the header.

Three good games.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2220
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:57 am

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Danish team manager says Eriksen suffered a myocardial infarct.

Just to be clear myocardial infraction = heart attack where there is a blockage of blood flow to the heart muscle. Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest which is sudden, unexpected loss of heart function, breathing, and consciousness. This usually results from an electrical disturbance in the heart. Of course, a heart attack can lead to cardiac arrest but I doubt that happened here.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
Challenger007
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:03 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 am

You forgot to mention that when the blood supply in the heart muscle is disturbed, part of it dies and, in general, disrupts the functioning of the organ. Blood clots also form in the arteries of the heart. In general, people who have suffered a heart attack in the future must be very careful about their own health and avoid unnecessary stress.
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:16 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Danish team manager says Eriksen suffered a myocardial infarct.

Just to be clear myocardial infraction = heart attack where there is a blockage of blood flow to the heart muscle. Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest which is sudden, unexpected loss of heart function, breathing, and consciousness. This usually results from an electrical disturbance in the heart. Of course, a heart attack can lead to cardiac arrest but I doubt that happened here.


I know that it's a difference but the article specifically said "hjärtinfarkt" which is a myocardial infarct. Possibly the reporter made a translation error since it has been changed now.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Topic Author
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:39 pm

Glad that Eriksen seems to be OK, wasn't a good call to force them to play, but UEFA aren't known for valuing players' wellbeing.

A rough reintroduction for Scotland, they've played far worse games, but they couldn't even finish their dinner.
 
wingman
Posts: 4129
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Euros 2020 thread

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Spain really needed to nationalize Messi at 13. Such an incredible midfield but nary an attacker in sight to sink the knife when it matters most. I do like all those youngsters getting time in a big tourney. Maybe by next WC they'll be seasoned enough to challenge for the semis.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, BaconButty, extender, seahawk and 39 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos