Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:20 am

Last year, a white woman called the police after a gay Black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in the Ramble area of New York City's Central Park, where off leash dogs are prohibited.

The gay Black man's video of the white woman's confrontational behavior went viral, and she was fired by her employer, Franklin Templeton Investments, for her racist behavior.

Now, the white woman is suing Franklin Templeton, claiming she was unfairly terminated because she was white, and a woman.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/27/10008312 ... er-lawsuit

I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:52 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Last year, a white woman called the police after a gay Black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in the Ramble area of New York City's Central Park, where off leash dogs are prohibited.

The gay Black man's video of the white woman's confrontational behavior went viral, and she was fired by her employer, Franklin Templeton Investments, for her racist behavior.

Now, the white woman is suing Franklin Templeton, claiming she was unfairly terminated because she was white, and a woman.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/27/10008312 ... er-lawsuit

I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!


There's no way her case will prevail. The company merely had to complete a cursory background investigation into her role in the incident. She was terminated because she embarrassed her employer, not because she was white or a woman.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6955
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:24 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!

While her behaviour was despicable, I strongly suspect she would have reacted the same had anyone else approached her. "Highly strung" comes to mind. But she chose to bring race into it when she called the police, so her behaviour was racist. I don't see how she could be called homophobic though, given that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that she knew the sexuality of the guy who approached her.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:53 pm

While her actions were idiotic, I'm not sure that race was even an issue. What I mean is, she was in the wrong to have her dog off the leash and somebody telling her to do it is not a threat. However, her mentioning the man's race could've been seen as a descriptor in case he actually committed a crime and was gone before the police showed up. If she had used a racial slur, that would make it totally different.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:08 pm

johns624 wrote:
While her actions were idiotic, I'm not sure that race was even an issue. What I mean is, she was in the wrong to have her dog off the leash and somebody telling her to do it is not a threat. However, her mentioning the man's race could've been seen as a descriptor in case he actually committed a crime and was gone before the police showed up. If she had used a racial slur, that would make it totally different.


Mmmmmm methinks you need to see the video again. She emphasized the 'black' when saying a man was threatening her. He wasn't threatening her and she witnessed no crime - so it's all BS.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
alfa164
Posts: 3951
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:26 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!


Franklin Templeton is an investment firm, and their reputation rests on the honesty, integrity, and judgement of their employees. Any client who sees or hears of her on the video, then sees or hears of her behind a desk at such a firm, has every reason to take his/her business elsewhere. A financial institution cannot afford to maintain employees whose reputation diminishes the credibility of the firm.

I think this should be a slam-dunk for the Franklin Templeton.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1893
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:10 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Last year, a white woman called the police after a gay Black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in the Ramble area of New York City's Central Park, where off leash dogs are prohibited.

The gay Black man's video of the white woman's confrontational behavior went viral, and she was fired by her employer, Franklin Templeton Investments, for her racist behavior.

Now, the white woman is suing Franklin Templeton, claiming she was unfairly terminated because she was white, and a woman.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/27/10008312 ... er-lawsuit

I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!


A classic example of why CRT is needed.

Oh, and let's not forget about the dog's plight being choked on the leash.

If anything, FTI could have simply fired her for animal abuse and nothing else.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:27 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Last year, a white woman called the police after a gay Black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in the Ramble area of New York City's Central Park, where off leash dogs are prohibited.

The gay Black man's video of the white woman's confrontational behavior went viral, and she was fired by her employer, Franklin Templeton Investments, for her racist behavior.

Now, the white woman is suing Franklin Templeton, claiming she was unfairly terminated because she was white, and a woman.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/27/10008312 ... er-lawsuit

I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!



She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .

https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/e ... side-work/
Unless an employee works for the government, belongs to a union, or works in Montana, they are subject to employment at-will. That means with some exceptions, an employer can terminate employment at any time they like without even having a reason unless an employment contract specifies otherwise. So, if your employee is subject to employment at-will, has spouted hate speech on their Facebook page, and is subject to no other legal protection, you are free to terminate them for that reason, for no reason, or because you felt like it when you got up this morning. However, an employer cannot fire an employee for an illegal reason such as due to race, sex, age, nationality, religion, disability, or in retaliation for whistleblowing. And, of course, an employee might try to claim they were fired for such an illegal reason.


It will be interesting to see how this goes, but it does highlight what companies can do when they are aware of your actions.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:29 pm

I wonder if Templeton would have fired her if she was black and the guy was a different race.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:46 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I wonder if Templeton would have fired her if she was black and the guy was a different race.


If there was cause, then absolutely - policy is policy. I was involved in the termination of a guy a few years back who violated data handling policy. A female colleague was receiving anonymous phone calls and emails from an admirer for two weeks that coincided with the data access. He was reported by another colleague in IT. He was let go for accessing private information for a non-work purpose. He happened to be black and did not sue for obvious reasons.

In a competent organization, rules are enforced regardless. Employees either follow policy and uphold company reputation - or they don’t.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:33 am

She has maybe half a case, because if she were a different race the incident would not have gone viral.

But do I feel bad for her? Not at all. She was such a textbook Karen here, threatening use of police as an instrument of violence. She knows what she did here, and she said it on tape. IIRC the guy also threatened her physically, so it kind of matters who escalated first, and therefore who was threatening "offense" versus "defense."
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:46 am

LCDFlight wrote:
She has maybe half a case, because if she were a different race the incident would not have gone viral.

But do I feel bad for her? Not at all. She was such a textbook Karen here, threatening use of police as an instrument of violence. She knows what she did here, and she said it on tape. IIRC the guy also threatened her physically, so it kind of matters who escalated first, and therefore who was threatening "offense" versus "defense."


Well no, he didn't threaten her. He reminded her it was illegal to have her dog unleashed, she refused to leash her dog, and he then beckoned her dog over with a treat. She reacted to that, he started filming, she got angry he was filming, and we saw the rest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/nyre ... video.html
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
She has maybe half a case, because if she were a different race the incident would not have gone viral.

But do I feel bad for her? Not at all. She was such a textbook Karen here, threatening use of police as an instrument of violence. She knows what she did here, and she said it on tape. IIRC the guy also threatened her physically, so it kind of matters who escalated first, and therefore who was threatening "offense" versus "defense."


Well no, he didn't threaten her. He reminded her it was illegal to have her dog unleashed, she refused to leash her dog, and he then beckoned her dog over with a treat. She reacted to that, he started filming, she got angry he was filming, and we saw the rest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/nyre ... video.html


I think you're right, but

Cooper said on Facebook that he told the woman: “If you’re going to do what you want, im [sic] going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it.”

That's his written report of it. He made what I think was a lighthearted threat to feed her dog without authorization. She may argue she interpreted this as a threat of violent attack. It is what it is... a cluster, and she got owned. It would be better for her to move on.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:54 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
She has maybe half a case, because if she were a different race the incident would not have gone viral.

But do I feel bad for her? Not at all. She was such a textbook Karen here, threatening use of police as an instrument of violence. She knows what she did here, and she said it on tape. IIRC the guy also threatened her physically, so it kind of matters who escalated first, and therefore who was threatening "offense" versus "defense."


Well no, he didn't threaten her. He reminded her it was illegal to have her dog unleashed, she refused to leash her dog, and he then beckoned her dog over with a treat. She reacted to that, he started filming, she got angry he was filming, and we saw the rest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/nyre ... video.html


I think you're right, but

Cooper said on Facebook that he told the woman: “If you’re going to do what you want, im [sic] going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it.”

That's his written report of it. He made what I think was a lighthearted threat to feed her dog without authorization. She may argue she interpreted this as a threat of violent attack. It is what it is... a cluster, and she got owned. It would be better for her to move on.


True enough, in any case she's going to blow a significant portion of her savings chasing an unwinnable case. Hard to imagine she was handling VIP accounts at any point in time with judgment like that.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Pellegrine
Posts: 2651
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:19 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:01 am

alfa164 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:
I think this woman's behavior, both when she called the police to report the incident, and today when she's suing her former employer, embodies white privilege at its worst. Franklin Templeton says they will vigorously defend themselves.....and I hope Franklin Templeton's lawyers DEMOLISH this racist, homophobic b**ch!


Franklin Templeton is an investment firm, and their reputation rests on the honesty, integrity, and judgement of their employees. Any client who sees or hears of her on the video, then sees or hears of her behind a desk at such a firm, has every reason to take his/her business elsewhere. A financial institution cannot afford to maintain employees whose reputation diminishes the credibility of the firm.

I think this should be a slam-dunk for the Franklin Templeton.


Exactly. It's a "reputational risk". Banks fire clients for the same reasons.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)
 
slider
Posts: 7734
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:13 pm

casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:28 pm

slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.


Capitalism is king - it's the American way. Companies hold the cards and in a lot of states swindled voters into making it that way. For crying out loud, only the Big Sky state hasn't fully implemented at-will policies.

As for her suit, that's the thrust of her claim I assume - that she was fired via Title IX violation. Exceedingly difficult to prove, so...good luck.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:14 pm

slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.


Sex discrimination is what she is going after. It is going to be hard for her to prove unless there are not a lot of white women working at Franklin Templeton.
Employers have always held the upper hand. That is why unions and organized labor came into existence, and why they have contracts that have to be negotiated.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:38 pm

slider wrote:
but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.
It does work both ways (sometimes). I was planning on retiring right about now but last November I was feeling run down and sick of my job. It turns out that I had a mild case of Covid but didn't know that until after I'd made the decision. So I decided to quit (retire). Several years ago, when Michigan became an "at will" state, the owner was elated. When I walked into his office and told him I quit, he asked if it was a two week notice. I told him "no", immediately. He wasn't happy, but I was. When I found out later that day that my test came back positive, I called up and told one of the managers. I don't think they believed me, but I didn't care.
 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.


Capitalism is king - it's the American way. Companies hold the cards and in a lot of states swindled voters into making it that way. For crying out loud, only the Big Sky state hasn't fully implemented at-will policies.

As for her suit, that's the thrust of her claim I assume - that she was fired via Title IX violation. Exceedingly difficult to prove, so...good luck.


A Title IX violation will be extra hard to prove in this case, because Franklin Templeton's president is a woman, Jennifer Johnson. Ms. Johnson was quoted in media reports about the incident, which means she's happy with the termination decision, and I'm sure she will appear in court if the case goes to trial.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:22 pm

slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.


I am not a lawyer, but being a woman or man (or being any race) is absolutely a protected class.

A complicating factor here may be _IF_ the employer directly said that they cannot allow someone of her race to do what she did. _IF_ they did say that, they probably owe her several million. The key question is, did they make reference, directly or indirectly, to her race when they fired her. If they did, she wins easily. If not, her case sucks and she will go away.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:42 pm

casinterest wrote:
Sex discrimination is what she is going after. It is going to be hard for her to prove unless there are not a lot of white women working at Franklin Templeton.
Employers have always held the upper hand. That is why unions and organized labor came into existence, and why they have contracts that have to be negotiated.


:checkmark: It's highly unlikely that Franklin Templeton doesn't employee a lot of white women. White women have tended to be affirmative action's greatest beneficiaries. She's highly unlikely to prevail here.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
StarAC17
Posts: 4061
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:04 pm

slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.


At will employment is garbage however I think it depends on a Jurisdiction. My friend works for Michael's here in Canada and her employment contract is at will because its a Texas based company who probably does this in the US.

They fire her without cause in Canada and deny severance, she can sue and easily win the case in Canada forcing the employer to pay severance.

The thing about employment contacts is thought in the social media age is that anything posted on the internet that can hurt the image of the employer is subject to dismissal with cause. This is in Canada that has much stricter employment laws than the US. This can be taken too far thought and seeking legal advice on a dismissal like this is probably a good thing as I have seen cases of teachers fired for doing something like a bikini contest in Cancun. That might go too far, this woman has no case though.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!
 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:02 pm

One thing I wonder about:

Media reports say this woman had previously sued a married man she'd allegedly been having an extramarital affair with. She clearly is a volatile, unstable person.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/amy-coope ... ut-of-65k/

There could well have been past incidents at work that Franklin Templeton was concerned about, but which weren't serious enough to justify firing her. Franklin Templeton might have used the dog walking incident as an opportunity to terminate her.

If this is the case, her lawsuit would enable Franklin Templeton to publicly share any past concerns about her performance and / or professionalism during the trial. Once this information becomes public, it will seriously limit her ability to find employment elsewhere.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:32 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
One thing I wonder about:

Media reports say this woman had previously sued a married man she'd allegedly been having an extramarital affair with. She clearly is a volatile, unstable person.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/amy-coope ... ut-of-65k/

There could well have been past incidents at work that Franklin Templeton was concerned about, but which weren't serious enough to justify firing her. Franklin Templeton might have used the dog walking incident as an opportunity to terminate her.

If this is the case, her lawsuit would enable Franklin Templeton to publicly share any past concerns about her performance and / or professionalism during the trial. Once this information becomes public, it will seriously limit her ability to find employment elsewhere.


I think the central park "Karen " story is enough for most to pass on by, However that is probably the impetus for the lawsuit.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:07 am

LCDFlight wrote:
slider wrote:
casinterest wrote:


She has to claim this because it is her only chance of overcoming an at-will-employment firing .



Being a woman is not a protected class, though.

This woman is clearly off-kilter somehow, IMO, but it raises a larger question about at-will employment and how the imbalance of power continues in which employers hold all the cards all the time. Americans need employment contracts.


I am not a lawyer, but being a woman or man (or being any race) is absolutely a protected class.

A complicating factor here may be _IF_ the employer directly said that they cannot allow someone of her race to do what she did. _IF_ they did say that, they probably owe her several million. The key question is, did they make reference, directly or indirectly, to her race when they fired her. If they did, she wins easily. If not, her case sucks and she will go away.


I could hardly believe FT would have any HR on staff incompetent enough to do that. In any case, it would have to be in writing, and that's even less likely.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Classa64
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Why not;

"Amy Cooper, a New York woman who called police on a bird-watcher in Central Park last Memorial Day..."

Instead of what the media put

"Amy Cooper, a white New York woman who called police on a Black bird-watcher in Central Park last Memorial Day"

This would have never made the news if written the first way don't ya think ?
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19925
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 am

Classa64 wrote:
Why not;

"Amy Cooper, a New York woman who called police on a bird-watcher in Central Park last Memorial Day..."

Instead of what the media put

"Amy Cooper, a white New York woman who called police on a Black bird-watcher in Central Park last Memorial Day"

This would have never made the news if written the first way don't ya think ?


Maybe because she made it about skin colour?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Classa64
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:07 pm

scbriml wrote:
Classa64 wrote:
Why not;

"Amy Cooper, a New York woman who called police on a bird-watcher in Central Park last Memorial Day..."

Instead of what the media put

"Amy Cooper, a white New York woman who called police on a Black bird-watcher in Central Park last Memorial Day"

This would have never made the news if written the first way don't ya think ?


Maybe because she made it about skin colour?


But he was black. And that's why its in the news sadly.

I don't know what her issue was, the guy was decent and calm and not a threat, and she was in the wrong. Be a responsible dog owner and leash the dog if there is signs or a reason to.

His video after all this was about bird watching with Good morning America https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qd2XyGFTzk

The fact that she said African American is what the media latched on to IMOP. How else was she suppose to explain who she thought was a threat to 911. She should have just said a guy with a bike helmet maybe? How many guys in bike helmets are in that part of the park? If the guy would have walked away when the cop showed up they would have asked was he black, white, Hispanic etc, jacket color hat no hat all that right? I have to admit that if someone ran past me threatening me or stole a purse etc, my first explanation of the person would be there race, doesn't make me racist.

Please don't misunderstand what my point is, she went off with no provocation, and maybe the videos I watched are not the full version? Is there a link to where she says Black man ? Its the world we live in were the smallest occurrence can go viral once a particular race is mentioned.

Now she is apologizing, but its to late now i thinks.
C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19925
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Classa64 wrote:
But he was black. And that's why its in the news sadly.


No, it was in the news because she made it about skin colour.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
WA707atMSP
Topic Author
Posts: 2020
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
Classa64 wrote:
But he was black. And that's why its in the news sadly.


No, it was in the news because she made it about skin colour.


Here's the raw video feed. She says "African American man" multiple times, both to the police AND, more seriously, to the person who told her to put her dog on a leash. At the 0:24 point of the video, she says "I'm going to tell [the police] there's an African American man threatening my life".

All she had to say was "I'm going to tell the police THAT YOU are threatening my life", without referring to race in her conversation with the bird watcher. When she said she was going to tell the police that there was an "African American Man" threatening her life, then she made the video about race, and that's why she needs to be held accountable for her bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FByIEijXI
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14392
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Yeah and since she was the one breaking the law, her idea was clearly to use the cops against an innocent man, playing on the stereotype black man = thug.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14950
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:03 am

Aesma wrote:
Yeah and since she was the one breaking the law, her idea was clearly to use the cops against an innocent man, playing on the stereotype black man = thug.


Yeah because upper middle class birdwatchers strolling the park are clearly thugs. :sarcastic: She belongs out to pasture, where she is now.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Braybuddy
Posts: 6955
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 am

One point which seems to have been completely overlooked in this incident is the fact that she was a woman falsely accusing a man. We probably all know strong women who are quite capable of playing the "poor, defenceless female" card to gain advantage in a dispute with a man.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9056
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Central Park "karen" sues former employer

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Karen is just going to thru her privilege check list.

Used privilege to call cops on an innocent person
Used privilege to get out of animal abuse charges and got the dog back
Used privilege to get out of false 911 call charges
And now trying to get enough compensation, so she can be full time karen in the wild
All posts are just opinions.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos