Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Pi7472000
Topic Author
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 pm

My favorite U.S. governors are:

Kate Brown from Oregon
Gretchen Whitmer from MI
Jared Polis from CO
David Ige from HI.

I am impressed by these amazing people who have stood with science and been amazing throughout the pandemic. I like others as well, but these ones stand out to me. They have advocated for some great policies that benefit many people. Well done!
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14323
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Noem of course.

Honorable mention to Murphy of NJ who understood more than Cuomo that your state needs sports betting.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:55 pm

Mike DeWine from Ohio. He's a Republican who instituted lockdowns and other measures early, so took a lot of heat for. He also instituted the "vaccine lottery" to get more people vaccinated. That was hard for me to write, being from Michigan. Although, I would've voted for John Kasich, former Ohio governor, for president.
 
SoCalPilot
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:04 pm

Michigan has some of the worst coronavirus numbers in the country while having some of the strictest Covid restrictions and is lagging well behind the rest of the country in reopening. Michigan also had the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the country at 23.6 in April 2020 (Nevada had the highest during the pandemic). I'm curious, why do you think Whitmer did a good job? The numbers say she didn't.

Colorado and Oregon did pretty good during the pandemic, although Oregon is starting to lag behind now in reopening and getting back going compared to other states. While Hawaii has the lowest numbers in the country (most likely due to geographic reasons), their unemployment numbers were staggering and they were one of the hardest hit states when it comes to job numbers.

Putting political feelings aside and focusing solely on how the state weathered the pandemic, it's hard to argue that Florida and Texas didn't do one of the better jobs in the country. Both reopened quickly, both had some of the least restrictive laws, had low (relative to the rest of the country) unemployment numbers, and both had lower death rates per 1M than most of the country despite this - lower than Michigan, California, and New York who all had some of the most restrictive laws in the country.

I personally like how DeSantis is running Florida, and the wife and I plan on leaving California for there in the very near future.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:16 pm

SoCalPilot--the states that got hit hard early didn't know how to handle things correctly, and neither did anyone else. MI had high unemployment because the auto industry decided to shut down. We are just as "open" as most states are nowadays. Colorado has about the worst figures right now, along with Wyoming. The humidity in Florida will kill you. Don't forget about "Florida Man".
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23728
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:00 am

Current governors? I really can't say since we are still in the middle of many of their terms. Kate Brown could have done more to help but I think she was trying to appease the "we will go to Idaho" MAGA wing.

I met and worked for Gov. Egan (the son, not the father) in Alaska. He was a nice guy and good to work for. Ted Kulongoski was a good governor here in Oregon, IMO.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:42 am

I really, really like Minnesota governor Tim Walz. IMHO, he's got a healthy dose of presidential material in him.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
KFTG
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:37 am

Ron DeSantis will be the next POTUS.
DeSantis Dem here.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:23 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
I personally like how DeSantis is running Florida, and the wife and I plan on leaving California for there in the very near future.

If you're coming from California I would strongly encourage you to rent before you make such a big leap. Unless you've spent a few summers in Florida or neighboring states, you've no idea what you're in for in terms of heat and humidity. California has nothing remotely close. Meanwhile get comfortable driving on wet pavement. Californians are notoriously bad at that for obvious reasons.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:32 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:

Putting political feelings aside and focusing solely on how the state weathered the pandemic, it's hard to argue that Florida and Texas didn't do one of the better jobs in the country. Both reopened quickly, both had some of the least restrictive laws, had low (relative to the rest of the country) unemployment numbers, and both had lower death rates per 1M than most of the country despite this - lower than Michigan, California, and New York who all had some of the most restrictive laws in the country.

Have you considered the fact that because those three were some of the first hit and worst hit that's why they had those restrictions? For all the manufactured fawning about DeSantis (seriously, I'm convinced it's a deliberate social media campaign by people attached to him "they have a great governor!--which ought to be really fun to watch if Trump wants to run again), it's also worth noting that Florida's numbers are far worse than states like Washington, Vermont, or Hawaii, all of which had very strict pandemic-related restrictions, and far lower than states which also had next to no restrictions (like the Dakotas). Across the board it's fairly safe to say that few people actually handled the pandemic well, and it's even more fair to say that was in no small part to residents of the state disregarding recommended precautions regardless of what letter is next to the governor's name.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... -by-state/
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14978
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
Michigan has some of the worst coronavirus numbers in the country while having some of the strictest Covid restrictions and is lagging well behind the rest of the country in reopening. Michigan also had the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the country at 23.6 in April 2020 (Nevada had the highest during the pandemic). I'm curious, why do you think Whitmer did a good job? The numbers say she didn't.

Colorado and Oregon did pretty good during the pandemic, although Oregon is starting to lag behind now in reopening and getting back going compared to other states. While Hawaii has the lowest numbers in the country (most likely due to geographic reasons), their unemployment numbers were staggering and they were one of the hardest hit states when it comes to job numbers.

Putting political feelings aside and focusing solely on how the state weathered the pandemic, it's hard to argue that Florida and Texas didn't do one of the better jobs in the country. Both reopened quickly, both had some of the least restrictive laws, had low (relative to the rest of the country) unemployment numbers, and both had lower death rates per 1M than most of the country despite this - lower than Michigan, California, and New York who all had some of the most restrictive laws in the country.

I personally like how DeSantis is running Florida, and the wife and I plan on leaving California for there in the very near future.


Make sure if you're buying the elevation is above 35 feet - you'll need it not too many years from now.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:09 pm

I think Florida, Texas, Colorado have some of the most successful governors at the moment. (Washington, Utah and Tennessee honorable mention)

Their policies are allowing tremendous growth in wealth & affluence (and population). High end millennials are moving to these places. This is overall a good thing for everybody.

I think states that are not friendly to citizen prosperity should be very worried.

A lot of governors are arrogant about the role of government. Notice I am not saying "conservative is always better." Some states are too conservative, and scare away educated people. But educated people are not afraid of Texas, Florida or Colorado. There is a big transition happening.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm

The problem with Texas is the image doesn't always meet the reality. There's a very good Youtuber named Briggs. He just did a segment on the "Most Popular States". Texas was one of them and one of the reasons the poll respondents gave was "good gun laws". Texas has actually been kind of slow when it comes to gun laws. Michigan has always had legal open carry without a license while Texas just got it. Yet, nobody talks about how great Michigan gun laws are. Also, people talk about all the "illegals" in California. Texas has the second greatest number. https://immigrationroad.com/resource/il ... -state.php It seems that the biggest advocates of the "Texas myth" are people who weren't originally from there.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:14 pm

johns624 wrote:
The problem with Texas is the image doesn't always meet the reality. There's a very good Youtuber named Briggs. He just did a segment on the "Most Popular States". Texas was one of them and one of the reasons the poll respondents gave was "good gun laws". Texas has actually been kind of slow when it comes to gun laws. Michigan has always had legal open carry without a license while Texas just got it. Yet, nobody talks about how great Michigan gun laws are. Also, people talk about all the "illegals" in California. Texas has the second greatest number. https://immigrationroad.com/resource/il ... -state.php It seems that the biggest advocates of the "Texas myth" are people who weren't originally from there.

Let's also add the "Everybody from California is moving to Texas because liberals ruined it," soundbyte While yes, more Californians are moving to Texas than any other state, if you were to combine those hardcore blue states of Washington and Oregon (which combined are still smaller than Texas), more Californians moved there than Texas.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:26 pm

DeSantis will be the next pol who thinks he's different and that Trump will back him. Not going to happen. If you're DJT, people are there to be used, not supported.
 
SoCalPilot
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm

luckyone wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
I personally like how DeSantis is running Florida, and the wife and I plan on leaving California for there in the very near future.

If you're coming from California I would strongly encourage you to rent before you make such a big leap. Unless you've spent a few summers in Florida or neighboring states, you've no idea what you're in for in terms of heat and humidity. California has nothing remotely close. Meanwhile get comfortable driving on wet pavement. Californians are notoriously bad at that for obvious reasons.

Yeah I'm actually from Florida, moved out to California for a job several years ago and now I'm wanting to move back.

I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the weather in Florida over the weather in California. Plus the water is actually warm enough to swim in!
 
luckyone
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:54 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
luckyone wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
I personally like how DeSantis is running Florida, and the wife and I plan on leaving California for there in the very near future.

If you're coming from California I would strongly encourage you to rent before you make such a big leap. Unless you've spent a few summers in Florida or neighboring states, you've no idea what you're in for in terms of heat and humidity. California has nothing remotely close. Meanwhile get comfortable driving on wet pavement. Californians are notoriously bad at that for obvious reasons.

Yeah I'm actually from Florida, moved out to California for a job several years ago and now I'm wanting to move back.

I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the weather in Florida over the weather in California. Plus the water is actually warm enough to swim in!

I'll give you the water, but I would agree you are, indeed, in the minority.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 pm

SoCalPilot wrote:
Plus the water is actually warm enough to swim in!
That's what the sharks say... :lol: I'd take the occasional earthquake over hurricanes, bugs, gators and snakes.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14978
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:51 pm

luckyone wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
luckyone wrote:
If you're coming from California I would strongly encourage you to rent before you make such a big leap. Unless you've spent a few summers in Florida or neighboring states, you've no idea what you're in for in terms of heat and humidity. California has nothing remotely close. Meanwhile get comfortable driving on wet pavement. Californians are notoriously bad at that for obvious reasons.

Yeah I'm actually from Florida, moved out to California for a job several years ago and now I'm wanting to move back.

I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the weather in Florida over the weather in California. Plus the water is actually warm enough to swim in!

I'll give you the water, but I would agree you are, indeed, in the minority.


Plus FL is flat. Almost anyone from CA feels uneasy in places without any mountains in line of sight.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18709
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:48 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.

Honorable mention to Murphy of NJ who understood more than Cuomo that your state needs sports betting.

The one that killed her citizens at nearly a NY rate, with months more to prepare, infinitely more information on the disease, and a thousandth of the population density?

johns624 wrote:
The problem with Texas is the image doesn't always meet the reality.

Texas has always been big hat, no cattle.

luckyone wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
luckyone wrote:
If you're coming from California I would strongly encourage you to rent before you make such a big leap. Unless you've spent a few summers in Florida or neighboring states, you've no idea what you're in for in terms of heat and humidity. California has nothing remotely close. Meanwhile get comfortable driving on wet pavement. Californians are notoriously bad at that for obvious reasons.

Yeah I'm actually from Florida, moved out to California for a job several years ago and now I'm wanting to move back.

I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the weather in Florida over the weather in California. Plus the water is actually warm enough to swim in!

I'll give you the water, but I would agree you are, indeed, in the minority.

Also get a second mortgage to pay for insurance :duck:
I don't take responsibility at all
 
stratosphere
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:22 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.

Honorable mention to Murphy of NJ who understood more than Cuomo that your state needs sports betting.

The one that killed her citizens at nearly a NY rate, with months more to prepare, infinitely more information on the disease, and a thousandth of the population density?

johns624 wrote:
The problem with Texas is the image doesn't always meet the reality.

Texas has always been big hat, no cattle.

luckyone wrote:
SoCalPilot wrote:
Yeah I'm actually from Florida, moved out to California for a job several years ago and now I'm wanting to move back.

I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the weather in Florida over the weather in California. Plus the water is actually warm enough to swim in!

I'll give you the water, but I would agree you are, indeed, in the minority.

Also get a second mortgage to pay for insurance :duck:


Yeah so you're saying Noem killed as many as NY yet Noem did not have the draconian lockdown measures that NYC had. Cuomo and Murphy and Whitmer and Newsome had idiotic covid rules I remember the cops arresting a guy all alone on a beach in California for breaking one of the many Covid restrictions I mean it doesn't get any safer than what he was doing all by himself outside. But these same hypocritical Governors all got caught violating their own edicts. But as usual liberals give a pass to one of their own. I personally like DeSantis I hope he runs for president at some point.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18709
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:06 pm

stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.

Honorable mention to Murphy of NJ who understood more than Cuomo that your state needs sports betting.

The one that killed her citizens at nearly a NY rate, with months more to prepare, infinitely more information on the disease, and a thousandth of the population density?

johns624 wrote:
The problem with Texas is the image doesn't always meet the reality.

Texas has always been big hat, no cattle.

luckyone wrote:
I'll give you the water, but I would agree you are, indeed, in the minority.

Also get a second mortgage to pay for insurance :duck:


Yeah so you're saying Noem killed as many as NY yet Noem did not have the draconian lockdown measures that NYC had.

NYC was the first to be hit in a major way, and has a population density almost 2500x higher than SD. SD, LA, MS, AZ, AL all killed about 1000 people more per million people than the national average, which was the same as FL. CA was slightly below the national average, and places like VT, UT, AK, WA, OR were 1000 *under* the national average.

Now I know the all lives matter/pro life crowd doesn't give a toss about preventable deaths, or math, but the fact is Noem killed at least 25% more people than the average--200% more than WA--through aggressive indifference. But the knuckle dragging rubes could fill their pie hole at the Loaf n Jug without wearing a mask so praise Jesus! And what do you have to show for all these surplus coffins? Nothing. But she's an idiot that has left a trail of bodies behind her so she's destined to be a star in the GOP.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
The one that killed her citizens at nearly a NY rate, with months more to prepare, infinitely more information on the disease, and a thousandth of the population density?


Texas has always been big hat, no cattle.


Also get a second mortgage to pay for insurance :duck:


Yeah so you're saying Noem killed as many as NY yet Noem did not have the draconian lockdown measures that NYC had.

NYC was the first to be hit in a major way, and has a population density almost 2500x higher than SD. SD, LA, MS, AZ, AL all killed about 1000 people more per million people than the national average, which was the same as FL. CA was slightly below the national average, and places like VT, UT, AK, WA, OR were 1000 *under* the national average.

Now I know the all lives matter/pro life crowd doesn't give a toss about preventable deaths, or math, but the fact is Noem killed at least 25% more people than the average--200% more than WA--through aggressive indifference. But the knuckle dragging rubes could fill their pie hole at the Loaf n Jug without wearing a mask so praise Jesus! And what do you have to show for all these surplus coffins? Nothing.


Many factors. Arizona did really badly. Nebraska did remarkably well. It's complicated.

The virus flowed along transportation networks. Vermont isn't on the way to anyplace, except Canada. And that border was closed. So very few people drove into Vermont, bringing the virus. The Northeast and Southeast, both crossroads with their own aggravating factors (weather in NE, obesity in SE) both did horribly badly.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18709
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Yeah so you're saying Noem killed as many as NY yet Noem did not have the draconian lockdown measures that NYC had.

NYC was the first to be hit in a major way, and has a population density almost 2500x higher than SD. SD, LA, MS, AZ, AL all killed about 1000 people more per million people than the national average, which was the same as FL. CA was slightly below the national average, and places like VT, UT, AK, WA, OR were 1000 *under* the national average.

Now I know the all lives matter/pro life crowd doesn't give a toss about preventable deaths, or math, but the fact is Noem killed at least 25% more people than the average--200% more than WA--through aggressive indifference. But the knuckle dragging rubes could fill their pie hole at the Loaf n Jug without wearing a mask so praise Jesus! And what do you have to show for all these surplus coffins? Nothing.


Many factors. Arizona did really badly. Nebraska did remarkably well. It's complicated.

The virus flowed along transportation networks. Vermont isn't on the way to anyplace, except Canada. And that border was closed. So very few people drove into Vermont, bringing the virus. The Northeast and Southeast, both crossroads with their own aggravating factors (weather in NE, obesity in SE) both did horribly badly.

Agreed, but for SD to do *that* badly required intention, and it started at the top with Trump and was magnified by this Palin knockoff.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:32 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NYC was the first to be hit in a major way, and has a population density almost 2500x higher than SD. SD, LA, MS, AZ, AL all killed about 1000 people more per million people than the national average, which was the same as FL. CA was slightly below the national average, and places like VT, UT, AK, WA, OR were 1000 *under* the national average.

Now I know the all lives matter/pro life crowd doesn't give a toss about preventable deaths, or math, but the fact is Noem killed at least 25% more people than the average--200% more than WA--through aggressive indifference. But the knuckle dragging rubes could fill their pie hole at the Loaf n Jug without wearing a mask so praise Jesus! And what do you have to show for all these surplus coffins? Nothing.


Many factors. Arizona did really badly. Nebraska did remarkably well. It's complicated.

The virus flowed along transportation networks. Vermont isn't on the way to anyplace, except Canada. And that border was closed. So very few people drove into Vermont, bringing the virus. The Northeast and Southeast, both crossroads with their own aggravating factors (weather in NE, obesity in SE) both did horribly badly.

Agreed, but for SD to do *that* badly required intention, and it started at the top with Trump and was magnified by this Palin knockoff.


True lol, holding Sturgis probably didn't help. The Boomers from Sturgis loudly shouted "Murica" and "Hoax virus" with their final breaths as they succumbed and died in the hospital! I'm not making light of all the deaths in SD, but some of it has an undeniable humor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... s-deniers/
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
I'm not making light of all the deaths in SD, but some of it has an undeniable humor

With all the current unused vaccine, if anyone dies in the future from Covid and didn't get the vaccine, I have absolutely no sympathy for them.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:12 am

Hmmm.

Not Abbott. He was *ok* before Covid, improved a little bit when he decided to take the virus seriously last year (and then took it back this year), but really became unfavorable to me after threatening to basically steal money from cities who "defund the police" (whether or not you agree with it is up to debate, but that money is *ours*, not for some tyrant to decide), literally changing how schools teach history (who is he to say what can and can't be taught in schools? The truth is the truth; he can't handle it), and then that voting bill he's going to end up signing once it gets to his desk (again, that is up for debate, I think there's a middle-ground to a voter-integrity bill which includes voter ID but expanding means of voting, but he does *not* care about that. There's "give and take", but he is all "take).

Booze to go though! Ahahah, that was definitely very bipartisan.

I digress.

Hmm,

To be fair nobody really sticks out well enough to get my attention.
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7236
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:29 am

I'm proud to be a new Floridian, and a big part of why is because of Ron DeSantis and his incredible leadership that he has shown. I love having a governor who has banned Critical Race Theory from being taught in public schools here, has made it clear that our state supports our police officers, keeps taxes low, strengthened the security of our vote and much more.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14978
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:48 am

deltairlines wrote:
I'm proud to be a new Floridian, and a big part of why is because of Ron DeSantis and his incredible leadership that he has shown. I love having a governor who has banned Critical Race Theory from being taught in public schools here, has made it clear that our state supports our police officers, keeps taxes low, strengthened the security of our vote and much more.


To echo: hope you got a place with elevation above 35 feet.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4608
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:56 pm

stratosphere wrote:
Cuomo and Murphy and Whitmer and Newsome had idiotic covid rules I remember the cops arresting a guy all alone on a beach in California for breaking one of the many Covid restrictions I mean it doesn't get any safer than what he was doing all by himself outside.


Have a think for a moment when complaining about lockdown rules: what would happen to transmission rates if everyone did "it"?

- made an extra "essential" trip to the supermarket because being out of icecream is unbearable.

- didn't bother with a mask when nipping into the store.

- spent the afternoon on a popular beach.

- went to have dinner with elderly parents because it was someone's birthday/anniversary.

- went for secret Friday Night Drinks in the neighbor's garage.

- didn't bother using the available sanitizer to clean hands before using the credit-card-machine/petrol-pump/atm etc
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 10819
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 pm

During the height of the covid pandemic the governors of NYC and California were the darlings of the USA and cheered around the world, how quickly things change....
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18709
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:11 pm

deltairlines wrote:
I'm proud to be a new Floridian, and a big part of why is because of Ron DeSantis and his incredible leadership that he has shown. I love having a governor who has banned Critical Race Theory from being taught in public schools here, has made it clear that our state supports our police officers, keeps taxes low, strengthened the security of our vote and much more.

LOL conservatives: we hate cancel culture!
Also conservatives: BAN HISTORY BECAUSE IT MAKES US SAD

CarlosSi wrote:
Hmmm.

Not Abbott. He was *ok* before Covid, improved a little bit when he decided to take the virus seriously last year (and then took it back this year), but really became unfavorable to me after threatening to basically steal money from cities who "defund the police" (whether or not you agree with it is up to debate, but that money is *ours*, not for some tyrant to decide), literally changing how schools teach history (who is he to say what can and can't be taught in schools? The truth is the truth; he can't handle it), and then that voting bill he's going to end up signing once it gets to his desk (again, that is up for debate, I think there's a middle-ground to a voter-integrity bill which includes voter ID but expanding means of voting, but he does *not* care about that. There's "give and take", but he is all "take).

Booze to go though! Ahahah, that was definitely very bipartisan.

I digress.

Hmm,

To be fair nobody really sticks out well enough to get my attention.

I honestly don't know what there is to like about any of the TX good ol' boys. These are the people that brought you the Jade Helm conspiracy *before* Trump. They were crazy and dumb as dirt before it became the official conservative platform.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
afcjets
Posts: 3799
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:44 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.



:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:14 am

deltairlines wrote:
I'm proud to be a new Floridian, and a big part of why is because of Ron DeSantis and his incredible leadership that he has shown. I love having a governor who has banned Critical Race Theory from being taught in public schools here, has made it clear that our state supports our police officers, keeps taxes low, strengthened the security of our vote and much more.
The same DeSantis that wants cruise ships to come back and then bans them from asking if passengers are vaccinated, knowing that it takes just one outbreak on a cruise ship to kill the industry forever?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14978
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:33 am

afcjets wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.



:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
johns624
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:37 am

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.



:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.
Well, Sarah Palin isn't around anymore...
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14978
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:40 am

johns624 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.
Well, Sarah Palin isn't around anymore...


True :lol: It’s so one dimensional
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
afcjets
Posts: 3799
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:18 am

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Noem of course.



:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.


She's not incentifying young people to take a covid vaccine. That already puts her ahead of those that do IMO.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13515
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:28 am

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.


She's not incentifying young people to take a covid vaccine. That already puts her ahead of those that do IMO.



So you think it is better that we encourage young and reckless people to keep spreading the disease into more and more variants whether they get sick or not, rather than taking the safer option for all ,which is a vaccine?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 14978
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:28 am

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.


She's not incentifying young people to take a covid vaccine. That already puts her ahead of those that do IMO.


Perhaps you're not up on current events - young people are much more affected by the Delta variant than other variants. It's already 90% of the cases in the UK. People who are not getting vaccinated in red states like Noem's are only prolonging healthcare disruption in those parts of the country - come trouble again in the fall. Why cheerlead what is stupid and unnecessary? I don't understand how some conservatives have suddenly adopted the position that personal refusal of common sense is okay even when it damages the economy.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9060
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:19 am

Whitmer used to be good, handled thru pandemic very well, not any more.
All posts are just opinions.
 
apodino
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:59 pm

Favorite Governors huh? Top of my list would probably have to be Mike DeWine. He is the one GOP governor who really handled COVID well and from what I can see he is well liked in the state and has actually governed well. There are a few other names I would mention.

Charlie Baker (R-MA) - I have always thought he has done well for MA. Even though MA is a blue state, they somehow keep electing effective GOP governors.
Larry Hogan (R-MD)- Also from the Baker Mold.
Tony Evers (D-WI) - Has done the best job he with covid even with a hostile Legislature and a GOP party that is way more conservative than the state is (Especially on Fiscal/Corporate issues)
Andy Bashear (D-KY) - Has done a great job after getting elected Governor of Kentucky as a Democrat in Mitch McConnel's backyard.
Ron DeSantis (R-FL) - This will be the most polarizing name on the list. I don't agree with his embrace of Trump, but every media smear on him has turned out to be false. I do not agree with the recent bill that was signed about protesting though.

As for some governors on my Shame List

Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) - Nothing new needs to be said about him
Greg Abbott (R-TX) - Is still popular among the GOP base here, but I don't agree with the COVID handling, and he totally mishandled the power crisis during the Winter, but instead of focusing on these things is laser focused on some voting bill which is not needed (I live in Texas and we already have Voter ID) and controversial.
Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI) - In my opinion she seems to focused on becoming a national figure and has had a hard time explaining some things (Florida Trip for example). The Michigan GOP in all fairness though, has tried to make her life a living hell.
Doug Ducey (R-AZ) - I really don't know what this guy stands for. As a Republican he doesnt seem to have a lot of support, but he has also angered Trump supporters, and a lot of right leaning voters I know who hate Trump say he is not doing a really good job either.

And not on my shame list, but other names I will mention are Jared Polis (D-CO) and Ralph Northram (D-VA). Both guys are democrats who are governing like Corporate Republicans.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18709
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:55 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I had no idea how hot SD could get.


Meanwhile, mature adults judge governors on criteria outside of junior high school.


She's not incentifying young people to take a covid vaccine. That already puts her ahead of those that do IMO.

Wait until you see what other vaccines we give young people.

If conservatives don't singlehandedly make polio great again--or any of a number of other long controlled diseases--it will be a small miracle.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
windy95
Posts: 2796
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:11 pm

Ron DeSantis best governor hands down. Hopefully runs for second term instead of President
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:32 pm

The COVID vaccines are not experimental. Please do not use these boards to spread unscientific nonsense.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
luckyone
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Well—and I don’t have a dog in this fight—maybe Gavin Newsom should be considered.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -s-economy
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18709
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:52 pm

luckyone wrote:
Well—and I don’t have a dog in this fight—maybe Gavin Newsom should be considered.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... -s-economy

Ha. #1 economy and below average COVID deaths.

Meanwhile the right is fellating murderers like Noem or sentient confederate flags like Desantis for average results at best.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
khaba
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:01 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 am

apodino wrote:

And not on my shame list, but other names I will mention are Jared Polis (D-CO) .... Both guys are democrats who are governing like Corporate Republicans.


is this referring to AQCC or something else?

I was just in New Mexico last week, and it seems like Grisham isn't well-liked outside of ABQ or Santa Fe. We were in Roswell and the waitress had a shirt like, "2021 GOALS : 1. RECALL GRISHAM, 2. OPEN UP EVERYTHING." But that's a red area and it seems like CO and OR where deep blue counties have the strongest support.
 
Alias1024
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:13 am

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:27 am

I generally don't follow other state's governors too closely so I don't have an opinion on most. I guess the one's I don't hear a lot about are probably doing alright.

khaba wrote:
I was just in New Mexico last week, and it seems like Grisham isn't well-liked outside of ABQ or Santa Fe. We were in Roswell and the waitress had a shirt like, "2021 GOALS : 1. RECALL GRISHAM, 2. OPEN UP EVERYTHING." But that's a red area and it seems like CO and OR where deep blue counties have the strongest support.


The comparison to Oregon is apt. Just as the east side and some areas of southwest Oregon are conservative but outweighed by the Willamette Valley, southeast and parts of northwest New Mexico are conservative but are increasingly outnumbered by the more liberal Albuquerque/Santa Fe/northern mountains corridor. Barring a major gaffe Michelle Lujan Grisham will win reelection handily.

The red parts of New Mexico despise Lujan Grisham. She was very fast to introduce restrictions, mask requirements, etc... and not quick to withdraw those restrictions, instead waiting for the numbers to show improvements. The restrictions were also amongst the most strict in the nation. That's one of the reasons Republicans in the state are calling her the 'Little Tyrant'.

She's justified those strong restrictions by pointing out that New Mexico has fewer ICU beds per capita than any other state. Quite simply, it would take less of a surge to break New Mexico's healthcare system than other states.

She was very fast at organizing the state response to COVID, getting the heads of the major healthcare networks together in January 2020 to start figuring out how to set up testing when it became available, manage hospital capacity, and reduce the spread of a virus about which little was known at the time. The state that's routinely 48th or 49th in the nation in every category was intermittently 1st for testing through last summer and fall. When vaccines became available, there was New Mexico right at the top again for vaccination rates and efficiency at distributing the vaccine. New Mexico has started falling back in the state rankings because they've more or less run out of adults that want it, thanks to resistance against the vaccine in those more conservative areas. In Chaves county (Roswell) the percentage of people 16 or older that's completed their vaccination is a pathetic 37.1%, compared to Bernalillo county (Albuquerque) at 61.8%.

As an aside, you know who trusts science and the vaccine? Duh....scientists. Los Alamos county, basically a town built around a science lab, shows 80.8% having completed vaccination.

Back to the original topic about governors, the two that statistically appeared to do the best at organizing their state for testing and vaccination were Lujan Grisham, and Jim Justice of West Virginia.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.
 
luckyone
Posts: 3962
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Who are your favorite U.S. governors?

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:13 am

Alias1024 wrote:
I generally don't follow other state's governors too closely so I don't have an opinion on most. I guess the one's I don't hear a lot about are probably doing alright.

khaba wrote:
I was just in New Mexico last week, and it seems like Grisham isn't well-liked outside of ABQ or Santa Fe. We were in Roswell and the waitress had a shirt like, "2021 GOALS : 1. RECALL GRISHAM, 2. OPEN UP EVERYTHING." But that's a red area and it seems like CO and OR where deep blue counties have the strongest support.


The comparison to Oregon is apt. Just as the east side and some areas of southwest Oregon are conservative but outweighed by the Willamette Valley, southeast and parts of northwest New Mexico are conservative but are increasingly outnumbered by the more liberal Albuquerque/Santa Fe/northern mountains corridor. Barring a major gaffe Michelle Lujan Grisham will win reelection handily.

The red parts of New Mexico despise Lujan Grisham. She was very fast to introduce restrictions, mask requirements, etc... and not quick to withdraw those restrictions, instead waiting for the numbers to show improvements. The restrictions were also amongst the most strict in the nation. That's one of the reasons Republicans in the state are calling her the 'Little Tyrant'.

She's justified those strong restrictions by pointing out that New Mexico has fewer ICU beds per capita than any other state. Quite simply, it would take less of a surge to break New Mexico's healthcare system than other states.

She was very fast at organizing the state response to COVID, getting the heads of the major healthcare networks together in January 2020 to start figuring out how to set up testing when it became available, manage hospital capacity, and reduce the spread of a virus about which little was known at the time. The state that's routinely 48th or 49th in the nation in every category was intermittently 1st for testing through last summer and fall. When vaccines became available, there was New Mexico right at the top again for vaccination rates and efficiency at distributing the vaccine. New Mexico has started falling back in the state rankings because they've more or less run out of adults that want it, thanks to resistance against the vaccine in those more conservative areas. In Chaves county (Roswell) the percentage of people 16 or older that's completed their vaccination is a pathetic 37.1%, compared to Bernalillo county (Albuquerque) at 61.8%.

As an aside, you know who trusts science and the vaccine? Duh....scientists. Los Alamos county, basically a town built around a science lab, shows 80.8% having completed vaccination.

Back to the original topic about governors, the two that statistically appeared to do the best at organizing their state for testing and vaccination were Lujan Grisham, and Jim Justice of West Virginia.

Excellent point regarding ICU beds. I can tell you for a fact that during the worst of the pandemic this past winter, over half of the COVID ICU patients in the hospital I worked at in Seattle were filled by transfers from Idaho, Montana, and Eastern Washington. These were places that either didn’t impose restrictions or had residents that ignored them. How nice for them that hospitals hundreds of miles away had capacity while they indulged in their “freedom.” So I’ll also nominate Jay Inslee for keeping Washington in the bottom tier of COVID deaths and providing treatment for the Inland Northwest, yet Washington still had an almost positive GDP growth in 2020 (unlike Florida...).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aesma, Boeing74741R, Derico, luckyone, Virtual737 and 39 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos