Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City to be Possibly Demolished

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:46 pm

The 100 year old Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City is likely going to soon be demolished and be replaced with a 1,270 foot tall skyscraper. Hope to see this hotel preserved and designated as a landmark by the City of New York. It is kind of like demolishing old Penn Station all over again and I think that the skyscraper could be built on top of the existing structure like what has already been done with several buildings in New York City.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.curbed ... vania.html

ltbewr

Re: Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City to be Possibly Demolished

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:57 pm

While would be nice to keep the old building, likely it needs major structural work, too much to make it profitable as proposed. As across the street from the existing Pennsylvania Station it would be attractive to commuter workers from Long Island and New Jersey.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:07 am

ltbewr wrote:
While would be nice to keep the old building, likely it needs major structural work, too much to make it profitable as proposed. As across the street from the existing Pennsylvania Station it would be attractive to commuter workers from Long Island and New Jersey.

Why was a skyscraper able to be built on top of Carnegie Hall without too many problems that building a skyscraper on top of Hotel Pennsylvania would cause?

Aesma

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:35 am

I would think developers would wait a bit to see where the office real estate market is going, post COVID.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

johns624

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:10 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Why was a skyscraper able to be built on top of Carnegie Hall without too many problems that building a skyscraper on top of Hotel Pennsylvania would cause?
The hotel is a lot taller than Carnegie Hall, for one thing.

cskok8

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:50 am

I was supposed to stay there in March 2020

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:12 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
The 100 year old Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City is likely going to soon be demolished and be replaced with a 1,270 foot tall skyscraper. Hope to see this hotel preserved and designated as a landmark by the City of New York. It is kind of like demolishing old Penn Station all over again and I think that the skyscraper could be built on top of the existing structure like what has already been done with several buildings in New York City.

I agree with you, it would be an act of pure vandalism to knock this beautiful historic building down.

OA260

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 pm

The hotel itself is a dump. It could have so much potential if the money was pumped into it and raised to a 4 star hotel. I stayed there once and it was dire.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:13 pm

OA260 wrote:
The hotel itself is a dump. It could have so much potential if the money was pumped into it and raised to a 4 star hotel. I stayed there once and it was dire.

What makes the hotel itself a dump based on what you saw?

OA260

Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:18 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

What makes the hotel itself a dump based on what you saw?

Yes it was filthy and attracted a clientele that many would feel uncomfortable around. Reception was like a huge train station the corridors worn and dirty and as for the rooms they had not been cleaned properly. You would need a high end chain hotel to save this place. Close it down for a year and strip it back to zero .

alfa164

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:41 am

OA260 wrote:

:checkmark: . I stayed there back in the 70's, and it wasn't much better then.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Pellegrine

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:44 am

alfa164 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I stayed there in 2003 as a convenience to others and it was a dump then.

That said I hate for NYC/Manhattan to become too expensive for anyone but the rich. Also, a more expensive option might be to make the facade historic and built a tower behind it. IMO, said tower should include a cheap transit/tourist hotel to replace what would be lost.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

elbandgeek

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I stayed there in 2003 as a convenience to others and it was a dump then.

That said I hate for NYC/Manhattan to become too expensive for anyone but the rich. Also, a more expensive option might be to make the facade historic and built a tower behind it. IMO, said tower should include a cheap transit/tourist hotel to replace what would be lost.

The site of my greatest nightmare travel experience that I still tell the story of to people. New years 2014 went to see the hawks vs islanders and devils. Booked there cause it was cheap and right by penn station. MDW was a disaster zone after a snowstorm and my bag never got on the plane. Flight was delayed a combined 3 hours between waiting to deice and then waiting for an open gate at EWR. Missed the isles game because by the time I got to the hotel and waited an hour and a half to check in I would have already needed to have been on the train to uniondale to make the game on time and there was a blizzard warning so I along with about 90% of the people with tickets just didn't go at all. WN found my bag the next day and called to let me know it was delivered while I was at the devils game. Got back around 11pm and they refused to give it to me because I didn't tell them it was coming, as though that was I thing I was supposed to know to do. 3 more days staying there and having it just be the most gross and unpleasant time ever if I hadn't been on next to zero budget as a broke college student I'd have gone somewhere else. Then coming home through the polar vortex saga was a story on its own.

I would be happy to see that place become a parking garage.

LCDFlight

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Cool building. The renovation equation is fascinating. Alec Baldwin, whom I hate, had an interesting podcast with Ian Schraeger who ran Studio 54 and later became a hotel turnaround artist. Ben Mallah is another social media hotel turnaround guy, but this is well beyond his 8-figure price range. This is clearly 100ms to billions.

The key renovation issues are room & bathroom sizes and infrastructure, elevator status ($$). Scheaeger had a hilarious story about ordering furniture 10% smaller so his rooms looked bigger! Almost any hotel can be renovated for modest cost, if the location is worth it. The fact this place has not been kept up either speaks to inept ownership or some serious impracticality with the building itself. It would be fascinating to know the story. I love that there are these glorious fucked up relics all over NYC. Fewer than there once were.

Aesma

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:11 pm

Since it's a big hotel, and NYC already has plenty of hotels, if you made it a high end one, would there be enough demand ?

What about keeping it affordable, keeping the room the same size, etc. ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

FlyEndeavorAir

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:17 am

Guess Pakistan Airlines put as much energy into that hotel as they did their airline, none at all.

Will come down to what will make the buyer/developer the most money. If it means keep the building they will keep it. If it means tear it down, they will.

alberchico

Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:19 am

Kiwirob wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

I agree with you, it would be an act of pure vandalism to knock this beautiful historic building down.

The problem is that this hotel's golden days are long gone. The only way to save it would be to gut it and rebuild it from scratch. Not to mention that the area around Penn Station has gotten quite bad recently, with large numbers of homeless and drug addicts causing all sorts of quality of life issues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... d-eye.html

Fun fact, several years ago I did see a Pakistan International Airlines crew disembark from a bus and go inside that hotel. So I guess some airlines were utilizing it for their crews.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

TokyoImperialPa

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:12 pm

Why does the hotel name alone remind me be of a horror movie?