Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ltbewr
Topic Author
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:34 am

The US Senate showed for once unity of both parties in passing unanimously a resolution to have June 19th a Federal Holiday, one where Federal workers (and most state workers) will have as a paid holiday. Juneteenth celebrates the actual end of slavery in the USA, when some of the last enslaved persons, in Texas, were informed by Union occupational forces of the Emancipation Proclamation, signed by then Pres. Lincoln 2 years prior. It has long been an unofficial holiday for many Black Americans, a state holiday in Texas for 40 years and many states adopting it for them, especially after the BLM movement protests in 2020. Of course some see it as pandering to Black votes, something than no politician could not support or seen as racist and one more holiday for taxpayers to foot the bill for as to Government workers and duplicates as have Martin Luther King, Jr. day in January made a Federal holiday decades ago. It is also close to Memorial Day (last Monday in May) and our Independence Day (July 4th). Meanwhile racism in our society continues at unacceptable levels with no easy answer. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics ... index.html
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15038
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:35 am

ltbewr wrote:
The US Senate showed for once unity of both parties in passing unanimously a resolution to have June 19th a Federal Holiday, one where Federal workers (and most state workers) will have as a paid holiday. Juneteenth celebrates the actual end of slavery in the USA, when some of the last enslaved persons, in Texas, were informed by Union occupational forces of the Emancipation Proclamation, signed by then Pres. Lincoln 2 years prior. It has long been an unofficial holiday for many Black Americans, a state holiday in Texas for 40 years and many states adopting it for them, especially after the BLM movement protests in 2020. Of course some see it as pandering to Black votes, something than no politician could not support or seen as racist and one more holiday for taxpayers to foot the bill for as to Government workers and duplicates as have Martin Luther King, Jr. day in January made a Federal holiday decades ago. It is also close to Memorial Day (last Monday in May) and our Independence Day (July 4th). Meanwhile racism in our society continues at unacceptable levels with no easy answer. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics ... index.html


It's high time....and way past time. Kind of stunning that it took this long.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:42 am

ltbewr wrote:
The US Senate showed for once unity of both parties in passing unanimously a resolution to have June 19th a Federal Holiday, one where Federal workers (and most state workers) will have as a paid holiday. Juneteenth celebrates the actual end of slavery in the USA, when some of the last enslaved persons, in Texas, were informed by Union occupational forces of the Emancipation Proclamation, signed by then Pres. Lincoln 2 years prior. It has long been an unofficial holiday for many Black Americans, a state holiday in Texas for 40 years and many states adopting it for them, especially after the BLM movement protests in 2020. Of course some see it as pandering to Black votes, something than no politician could not support or seen as racist and one more holiday for taxpayers to foot the bill for as to Government workers and duplicates as have Martin Luther King, Jr. day in January made a Federal holiday decades ago. It is also close to Memorial Day (last Monday in May) and our Independence Day (July 4th). Meanwhile racism in our society continues at unacceptable levels with no easy answer. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics ... index.html


It will be interesting to see which states do not adopt Juneteenth, possibly arguing that date is tied to Texas emancipation.

Arizona did not recognize MLK Jr. Day and lost the right to host the 1993 Super Bowl. It was not until 1996 that the Super Bowl came to Phoenix and was a demand to adopt MLK Jr. Day by the NFL in order to host the game.
 
sierrakilo44
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:23 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
It will be interesting to see which states do not adopt Juneteenth, possibly arguing that date is tied to Texas emancipation.

Arizona did not recognize MLK Jr. Day and lost the right to host the 1993 Super Bowl. It was not until 1996 that the Super Bowl came to Phoenix and was a demand to adopt MLK Jr. Day by the NFL in order to host the game.


Alabama and Mississippi still recognise January 18th as “MLK Day” and “Robert E Lee’s Birthday”. Lee had nothing to do with either state, he was a proud Virginian first and foremost.

Texas also observes “MLK Day” on the 18th and then “Confederate Memorial Day” on the 19th.

Mississippi takes the overall Confederacy glorification cake by having a May 26 “Confederate Memorial Day” and a May 29 “Jefferson Davis Birthday”
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13547
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 pm

I think a lot of conservatives are going to have a hard time fighting this one. They have been flying the racist flag a bit too high lately over baseless lies related to CRT.

I think this is a Federal holiday that should be observed to remind a lot of people of the struggles that people faced between the Civil War and the Civil Rights movements. There is a large space of time (almost 100 years) between Juneteenth and the Civil Rights Act.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain
 
Newark727
Posts: 2419
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Alabama and Mississippi still recognise January 18th as “MLK Day” and “Robert E Lee’s Birthday”. Lee had nothing to do with either state, he was a proud Virginian first and foremost.

Texas also observes “MLK Day” on the 18th and then “Confederate Memorial Day” on the 19th.

Mississippi takes the overall Confederacy glorification cake by having a May 26 “Confederate Memorial Day” and a May 29 “Jefferson Davis Birthday”


There's a certain historical irony in Robert E. Lee being celebrated across the former Confederacy, because you can make the argument that he was more responsible for the demise of the Old South than anyone. Without Lee, maybe McClellan's peninsular campaign succeeds in capturing Richmond in 1862, and the rebellion ends with slavery still intact. Instead, Lee's victories keep the cause going, spending more and more of the South's blood and treasure and bringing sentiment on the North around to what had been radical positions when the war started, and making the "hard war" of 1864, and the outright banning of slavery in 1865, possible.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:52 pm

How will this play out with Texas forbidding teachers from teaching history from other points of view? How are they going to spin this to glorify white nationalism?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 7824
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:47 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
It will be interesting to see which states do not adopt Juneteenth, possibly arguing that date is tied to Texas emancipation.

Arizona did not recognize MLK Jr. Day and lost the right to host the 1993 Super Bowl. It was not until 1996 that the Super Bowl came to Phoenix and was a demand to adopt MLK Jr. Day by the NFL in order to host the game.


Alabama and Mississippi still recognise January 18th as “MLK Day” and “Robert E Lee’s Birthday”. Lee had nothing to do with either state, he was a proud Virginian first and foremost.

Texas also observes “MLK Day” on the 18th and then “Confederate Memorial Day” on the 19th.

Mississippi takes the overall Confederacy glorification cake by having a May 26 “Confederate Memorial Day” and a May 29 “Jefferson Davis Birthday”


The southern states, MS included, started Decoration Day putting flowers on graves of both sides in 1865; it became a northern holiday later. It’s only fair to take credit for Memorial Day. I grew up calling it Decoration Day. Ancestors were in the Union Army, btw.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 pm

And when will we get a Native American federal holiday?

I think it is only fair that it be an unpaid holiday, rather than a tax increase on all taxpayers.
 
ltbewr
Topic Author
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:39 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
And when will we get a Native American federal holiday?

There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18717
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
And when will we get a Native American federal holiday?

I think it is only fair that it be an unpaid holiday, rather than a tax increase on all taxpayers.

If conservatives lose their mind talking about slavery, segregation, and Civil Rights, the genocide of Native Americans doesn't stand a chance.

ltbewr wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
And when will we get a Native American federal holiday?

There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.

It's truly remarkable how little we as a nation know about black history, and it's still exponentially more than we know about Native American history.

seb146 wrote:
How will this play out with Texas forbidding teachers from teaching history from other points of view? How are they going to spin this to glorify white nationalism?

Texas is just gonna ban discussion of anything between 1836 and 1865 because it hurts the good ol' boys' feelings.
I don't take responsibility at all
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2566
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:54 pm

The D's are still dreaming of a Blue takeover of Texas. This Federal Holiday is blah to me. I'm not a Federal Worker.
I'd have rather seen a Federal Holiday to celebrate the Emancipation Proclamation. That means something / should mean something to all Americans.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15038
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:29 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The D's are still dreaming of a Blue takeover of Texas. This Federal Holiday is blah to me. I'm not a Federal Worker.
I'd have rather seen a Federal Holiday to celebrate the Emancipation Proclamation. That means something / should mean something to all Americans.


Juneteenth was the confirmation that EP came to fruition with full implementation. Anyone can see that.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13494
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:15 am

ltbewr wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
And when will we get a Native American federal holiday?

There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.


I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:29 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
It will be interesting to see which states do not adopt Juneteenth, possibly arguing that date is tied to Texas emancipation.

Arizona did not recognize MLK Jr. Day and lost the right to host the 1993 Super Bowl. It was not until 1996 that the Super Bowl came to Phoenix and was a demand to adopt MLK Jr. Day by the NFL in order to host the game.


Alabama and Mississippi still recognise January 18th as “MLK Day” and “Robert E Lee’s Birthday”. Lee had nothing to do with either state, he was a proud Virginian first and foremost.

Texas also observes “MLK Day” on the 18th and then “Confederate Memorial Day” on the 19th.

Mississippi takes the overall Confederacy glorification cake by having a May 26 “Confederate Memorial Day” and a May 29 “Jefferson Davis Birthday”


The southern states, MS included, started Decoration Day putting flowers on graves of both sides in 1865; it became a northern holiday later. It’s only fair to take credit for Memorial Day. I grew up calling it Decoration Day. Ancestors were in the Union Army, btw.


A Civil War memorial was expanded to include all war dead. I had no ancestors in either side of the war. I don't know why that is important.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
And when will we get a Native American federal holiday?

There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.


I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
johns624
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:54 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.


I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....
There you go with your stereotypes and lumping all people you don't agree with together. It's getting really old...
 
User avatar
mbmbos
Posts: 2970
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 4:16 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:22 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....
There you go with your stereotypes and lumping all people you don't agree with together. It's getting really old...


How is this a "stereotype?"

His first statement - that is was a point of honor in the white community - is correct.
His second statement - MAGAs losing their minds - wouldn't be a stereotype as MAGAs have openly asserted their support for white supremacy.

So where are the stereotypes? Also, it's interesting to see how easily you get offended. You could take some of that feeling offended energy and use it to empathize with others, see how they might feel about things.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.


I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....


Columbus was an extraordinary figure in human history. He was also probably a real jerk. It is ok to be proud that the US exists and has accomplished some good things. The US is not this unmitigated tragedy. Haiti is. North Korea is. Venezuela is getting there. We have to compare the US to its relevant context, which is human history. And human history is a nearly unending story of murder, rape, conquest and enslavement, eventually rising to feudalism and at times, better forms of civilization. But these are a rarity!

Anyway, happy Juneteenth
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15038
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....


Columbus was an extraordinary figure in human history. He was also probably a real jerk. It is ok to be proud that the US exists and has accomplished some good things. The US is not this unmitigated tragedy. Haiti is. North Korea is. Venezuela is getting there. We have to compare the US to its relevant context, which is human history. And human history is a nearly unending story of murder, rape, conquest and enslavement, eventually rising to feudalism and at times, better forms of civilization. But these are a rarity!

Anyway, happy Juneteenth


Just like the discussions around CRT, to actually *be* that shining city on the hill requires addressing inconsistencies and sometimes taking out the garbage.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
FGITD
Posts: 1603
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 pm

The issue with Columbus is (in my opinion) that historical figures need to be viewed through the lens of their time.

Columbus becomes problematic because even by the standards of his time, he was pretty much regarded as being a horrible person.

History doesn’t need to remember everyone
 
johns624
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:43 am

mbmbos wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....
There you go with your stereotypes and lumping all people you don't agree with together. It's getting really old...


How is this a "stereotype?"

His first statement - that is was a point of honor in the white community - is correct.
His second statement - MAGAs losing their minds - wouldn't be a stereotype as MAGAs have openly asserted their support for white supremacy.

So where are the stereotypes? Also, it's interesting to see how easily you get offended. You could take some of that feeling offended energy and use it to empathize with others, see how they might feel about things.
Once again, Columbus Day isn't really a "point of honor" with anyone. It's a minor holiday that is only celebrated with a day off by governments and banking/financial operations. The only holidays that anyone pays attention to are ones that get you time off from work--Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day and Thanksgiving. We've gotten rid of holidays--Lincoln's and Washington's Birthdays were combined into Presidents Day and nobody batted an eye.
PS--I don't get "easily offended". Get over your psychiatric pretensions.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:39 am

johns624 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
johns624 wrote:
There you go with your stereotypes and lumping all people you don't agree with together. It's getting really old...


How is this a "stereotype?"

His first statement - that is was a point of honor in the white community - is correct.
His second statement - MAGAs losing their minds - wouldn't be a stereotype as MAGAs have openly asserted their support for white supremacy.

So where are the stereotypes? Also, it's interesting to see how easily you get offended. You could take some of that feeling offended energy and use it to empathize with others, see how they might feel about things.
Once again, Columbus Day isn't really a "point of honor" with anyone. It's a minor holiday that is only celebrated with a day off by governments and banking/financial operations. The only holidays that anyone pays attention to are ones that get you time off from work--Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day and Thanksgiving. We've gotten rid of holidays--Lincoln's and Washington's Birthdays were combined into Presidents Day and nobody batted an eye.
PS--I don't get "easily offended". Get over your psychiatric pretensions.


For decades, Americans had it pounded into our heads that Columbus discovered America so we have to honor him and his "founding" of our land. Never mind that Scandinavian explorers were actually the first Europeans to set foot in North America long before Columbus.

"In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue...." is what we were told. It was an honor to honor him we were told.

Then, when the "mass liberal indoctrination" began and we began seeing what a jerk Columbus was and how poorly Natives have been treated, much worse than we were told, the push came to sweep Columbus under the rug.

I am still baffled by the right and their fear and hate of learning about other cultures within America. I was taught that America is a melting pot. That we should all be proud to celebrate who we are and that we are all equal. The problem Republicans seem to have is that they don't want large celebrations for other cultures. Just minor things here and there for very specific groups they are comfortable with. Anything else, to them, is offensive and how dare we talk about it.

As far as worrying over who gets time off for holidays, consider that many Americans do not get a lot of holidays off and if they do, they are lucky to get holiday pay. Our two biggest industries, retail and tourism, are lucky to get one holiday a year. Christmas. Truck drivers, medical workers, cops, fire, ATC.... they do not close because the calendar says it is a special day.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
ltbewr
Topic Author
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:19 am

Juneteenth marks the end of enslavement of the last known slaves in the USA in Texas 2 months after the end of the Civil War upon notice by occupying US Army forces. Legally slavery didn't fully end until the 13th Amendment, created in January 1865 was ratified by the states on December 6, 1865.

Sadly, the lives of the ex-slaves didn't improve much as many had no education, skills, money, owned homes or land. Many ended up being sharecroppers with its own enslavement to greedy landlords, including in parts of the North (southern NJ had a number of them) that endured will into the 20th Century. As reconstruction failed due to political pressures from White persons, laws were created to totally repress the ex-Slaves from their being equal. We all know the horrible history of 'Jim Crow', violence inducing lynching for crimes Black men were innocent of, riots upon Blacks (Tulsa, OK, 100 years ago), the placement of memorials to political and military leaders of the CSA to pander to White voters some of which are finally being removed now. We still live with the legacy of racism to this day. Attempts to tell a more full story of enslavement and racism have been met with objections to have that not be part of history and cultural education. Such education must also include recognizing the serous problems of historical figures like Christopher Columbus. Politicians must make real changes in laws and public policy to reduce the economic, environmental, police and deep racism we still have.

Hopefully Juneteenth will become not become another day off from work, but evolve into a day to do constructive acts to deal with racism and to atone for the grave 'original sin' of enslavement in the USA.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 13494
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:10 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
There has been pressure for years, with backlash from Conservatives and Italian-Americans, to make Columbus Day 'Indigenous Persons Day'.
Sure, its easy to make a holiday to honor certain persons, but until we as a country deal with the serious problems with racism, such holidays will be just token, near useless political pandering.


I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....


You are white. So it’s Americans like you isn’t it?
 
johns624
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....


You are white. So it’s Americans like you isn’t it?
Not to mention that the Scandinavians who really discovered North America were even "whiter" than Columbus was.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:33 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I don't get Columbus Day, he never stepped foot in North America let alone discovered it.


But for whites, it was a point of honor. Celebrating the founding and conquering of an untamed land or something. Places around the country are changing it to celebrate and remember Natives. But, I suppose MAGAs will lose their minds again being offended over celebrating non-White Americans....


You are white. So it’s Americans like you isn’t it?


There were people in North America before Columbus landed in the Caribbean. Celebrating him and giving him his own holiday in the United States is crazy. Yeah, I'm white. So what? Historically, I am fairly recent to this continent. And I also know that there were people here before Columbus who are not celebrated and still very oppressed. I have not heard much of an apology to Natives from the federal government over their treatment. There is a debate on why we need to celebrate the people who built this country. Slaves. Critical Race Theory is being demonized by Republicans. We can't talk about the treatment of minorities by Whites because it hurts feelings of Whites or something....

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/10010558 ... ace-theory
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
johns624
Posts: 3784
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
We can't talk about the treatment of minorities by Whites because it hurts feelings of Whites or something....

Maybe you can't, but I grew up in Detroit. Not the suburbs--the city. I can talk to anyone about anything.
 
dmg626
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:13 pm

I’m all for more summer holidays, could care less who or what it’s for, bring more on! Columbus, Presidents’ Day and MLK day all bad timing, need to can these and add more July and August days
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:10 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
We can't talk about the treatment of minorities by Whites because it hurts feelings of Whites or something....

Maybe you can't, but I grew up in Detroit. Not the suburbs--the city. I can talk to anyone about anything.


I grew up in rural right wing evangelical Oregon. I, too, can talk to anyone about anything.

We were taught little about oppression of minorities other than the occasional report from a Native elder from the reservation they would talk about how things were in the olden days. It wasn't until I moved to the city and LISTENED to people that I started learning ugly truths about history and race. Yes, it makes me uncomfortable. I want to hear it. I want to listen to ideas from those oppressed on how to make this country more equal. I do not want a bunch of racists complaining that we are too equal and we need to go back to the way things were before. I do not want a bunch of racists going on and on about how we need to cancel history if it does not show the Whites as victors.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 8655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 pm

I am heartened to see this day being commemorated. However, we have the "Not Enough" generation making the rounds again. Whereas last year they were highlighting the need to recognize Juneteenth, now they're not satisfied because:
1. A holiday isn't enough to correct all the wrongs of the nation
2. Slavery never ended (according to them, it just took another name); White supremacy was (and still is) the norm and as such, Juneteenth is meaningless
3. Politicians are not doing enough to address racism
4. States (particularly conservative ones) are essentially banning the subject from discussion

In other words, it's Not Enough.

I'm of the opinion that we should acknowledge and celebrate progress. Will this day make everything better immediately? No. Is it a good step forward? Absolutely. Should we stop here? NO. But until we have a government willing to address the issues, without a minority obstructing everything, this will be the best we can do right now.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23736
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:25 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I am heartened to see this day being commemorated. However, we have the "Not Enough" generation making the rounds again. Whereas last year they were highlighting the need to recognize Juneteenth, now they're not satisfied because:
1. A holiday isn't enough to correct all the wrongs of the nation
2. Slavery never ended (according to them, it just took another name); White supremacy was (and still is) the norm and as such, Juneteenth is meaningless
3. Politicians are not doing enough to address racism
4. States (particularly conservative ones) are essentially banning the subject from discussion

In other words, it's Not Enough.

I'm of the opinion that we should acknowledge and celebrate progress. Will this day make everything better immediately? No. Is it a good step forward? Absolutely. Should we stop here? NO. But until we have a government willing to address the issues, without a minority obstructing everything, this will be the best we can do right now.


There are those who want everything all at once. But, as you point out, we can't do that because others can not handle the truth and do not want to see huge changes like this. Unfortunately, it will take time. I fear the farther we get from events, the more willing people will be to simply blow it all off.

Look at all the people who insist we have total and complete equality in this country because we had a Black president.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1898
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:41 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I am heartened to see this day being commemorated. However, we have the "Not Enough" generation making the rounds again. Whereas last year they were highlighting the need to recognize Juneteenth, now they're not satisfied because:
1. A holiday isn't enough to correct all the wrongs of the nation
2. Slavery never ended (according to them, it just took another name); White supremacy was (and still is) the norm and as such, Juneteenth is meaningless
3. Politicians are not doing enough to address racism
4. States (particularly conservative ones) are essentially banning the subject from discussion

In other words, it's Not Enough.

I'm of the opinion that we should acknowledge and celebrate progress. Will this day make everything better immediately? No. Is it a good step forward? Absolutely. Should we stop here? NO. But until we have a government willing to address the issues, without a minority obstructing everything, this will be the best we can do right now.


Frankly, there's alot to be learned and I think that's the message the "Not Enough" crowd you're referencing is trying to get across.

The IKEA store in Atlanta offered a "Juneteenth" menu which offered fried chicken and watermelon. There was outrage amongst the black employees because they felt IKEA did not understand the historical meaning of the menu. The dialogue between IKEA and its employees did not occur to curate what should have an appropriate menu for the day's events.

Juneteenth menu at Atlanta Ikea angers Black employees
Source: CBS News

I went to public middle and high school in the mid-late 90's. We were taught that Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation and that was the end of slavery. We were not taught that some states were not aware of (or did not recognize) the Emancipation Proclamation until the Union troops showed up on horseback to deliver the proclamation at the plantations.* So in many respects, the passage of Juneteenth as a federal law and outrage driven by CRT bans in GOP strongholds could go hand-in-hand.

*I presume in Texas history classes, this is a subject that is brought up in public schools there since Texas passed its own Emancipation Day back in 1979.
 
ltbewr
Topic Author
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 'Juneteenth', June 19th to become a US Federal Holiday

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:59 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Frankly, there's alot to be learned and I think that's the message the "Not Enough" crowd you're referencing is trying to get across.

The IKEA store in Atlanta offered a "Juneteenth" menu which offered fried chicken and watermelon. There was outrage amongst the black employees because they felt IKEA did not understand the historical meaning of the menu. The dialogue between IKEA and its employees did not occur to curate what should have an appropriate menu for the day's events.

Juneteenth menu at Atlanta Ikea angers Black employees
Source: CBS News

I went to public middle and high school in the mid-late 90's. We were taught that Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation and that was the end of slavery. We were not taught that some states were not aware of (or did not recognize) the Emancipation Proclamation until the Union troops showed up on horseback to deliver the proclamation at the plantations.* So in many respects, the passage of Juneteenth as a federal law and outrage driven by CRT bans in GOP strongholds could go hand-in-hand.

*I presume in Texas history classes, this is a subject that is brought up in public schools there since Texas passed its own Emancipation Day back in 1979.

Ye gods ! Whoever suggested that and carried it out should be fired or quit in shame.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aaron747, Ken777, L0VE2FLY, MaverickM11 and 33 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos