Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luckyone
Topic Author

Your Most Overdone Songs

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:24 pm

I was watching a TV series the other day, and the song “Time After Time” was used in the background to the main characters reuniting. I almost had to turn it off because it just seems that song is so overdone by every busker in a coffee shop. What’s sad is I actually like the song.

“Time After Time,” by Cindi Lauper
“Creep,” by Radiohead. How many wannabe weirdos have to sing this song...
“Friends in Low Places,” by Garth Brooks. I actually like Garth Brooms but I can’t stand this song because it’s so overplayed and due to the magic of Brooks’ charisma, a good melody, and rhymes every bozo knows the song in spite of not being able to tell you what it’s actually about.

BlueberryWheats

Re: Your Most Overdone Songs

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:38 pm

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey

Cannot. Stand. That. Song. Never have done, it's crap, and yet I feel like the only person on Earth with that opinion. And it's used everywhere.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

johns624

Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:41 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

Cannot. Stand. That. Song. Never have done, it's crap, and yet I feel like the only person on Earth with that opinion. And it's used everywhere.

Journey plunged downhill when they got Steve Perry. Listen to their Look Into The Future album and you'll know what I mean. Especially the title song.

M564038

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 am

Everything Top 20 from the last 60 years, especially in the pre-1995 timeperiod is done to death. It is suprising to see with new developments over the last few years how little of it has stayed relevant. The Beatles will be remembered, the injection of the pentatonic blues scale in to the tempered major/minor tonality will be remembered, but what else? Will anyone still cover or listen to Bob Dylan in 40 years? I doubt it. Hard rock? Punk? Glam rock? Definitivelty not. Abba? Maybe. Good melodies last longer than stylistic traits or trends, just the same as in the 1700’s.

Anyway, things might be ridicolously overplayed now due to the commercial radio programming concepts that has spread into the streaming services, and never let you hear 99.99999999% of recorded music, even from your favourite artists, but anything pre 1990 will be gone with the boomers and linear radio.

It will be sad when all those old white guys with long hair and guitars is gone. Lol.

seb146

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:33 pm

There are two "my man cheated so I am getting revenge" songs that I never ever want to hear again. There was like a week at work when they played one of them every other song. The one about I hope you both fall in love and get married and she cheats like you did to me you jerk or something. I want to rip my ears off when I hear it.

I think people will be remaking the most popular songs if any songs are remade. I can see someone covering a Britney Spears song or Bruno Mars because, I think, they want to catch lightning in a bottle again.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Max Q

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:32 pm

‘Hurts so good’

by john ‘cougar’ mellencamp, drives me nuts, or anything by him actually but it’s always, always on somewhere..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

luckyone
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:33 pm

Max Q wrote:
‘Hurts so good’

by john ‘cougar’ mellencamp, drives me nuts, or anything by him actually but it’s always, always on somewhere..

Agreed. Sometimes I really wish life didn’t go on for Jack and Diane.

afcjets

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:46 pm

luckyone wrote:
I was watching a TV series the other day, and the song “Time After Time” was used in the background to the main characters reuniting. I almost had to turn it off because it just seems that song is so overdone by every busker in a coffee shop. What’s sad is I actually like the song.

“Friends in Low Places,” by Garth Brooks. I actually like Garth Brooms but I can’t stand this song because it’s so overplayed and due to the magic of Brooks’ charisma, a good melody, and rhymes every bozo knows the song in spite of not being able to tell you what it’s actually about.

There's actually another song released a year or so after Time after Time that was used in so many different movies that it might hold the record. "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. At least Cyndi Lauper's hit is a decent song and she actually is somewhat legendary.

afcjets

Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:50 pm

If I ever hear that fight song played again though in any movie or tv show I will say Katrina and the Waves is the best recording artist of all time. IMO it has to be the worst song ever recorded and I felt that way long before HRC used it for her campaign.

thomps65

Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:31 am

The ones that I dread hearing again

Think of Me
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables
Corner of the Sky
This is the Moment
and the one that has been done-to-death in just a few short years…
Wait For It
Education Should Develop Sacred Qualities - Techdailyjournal

M564038

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 am

Time after Time was even covered by Miles Davis. Pop-songs covered by Miles are not really something mere mortals can criticise.

Jalap

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:37 pm

Anything from Bastille. I can't stand that band. Overproduced crap without any soul in it. They should be permanently banned from all radio stations.
Now overproduced crap without soul is all over the radio nowadays. But hey, it's easier to single one out :)

Mortyman

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:29 pm

The last decade of good music was the 80's.

BlueberryWheats

Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:45 pm

Mortyman wrote:

There is still tons of good stuff from recent years, you just need to know where to look. (I.e. not most commercial radio stations and top 20 charts). As well of listening to it, half the fun is listening and it leading on to new discoveries.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:39 pm

Mortyman wrote:

There will always be some that say "you just need to need to look for the good music>"
But the JOY of living in the 70's and 80's was that GOOD music was "all round you" like it wasn't in the decades that have followed.
So, yes, I'll admit it, I was completely spoiled by all of the GREAT music that was served up to me "on a silver platter" in the 70's and 80's.

Personally, I'd rather look through the 70's and 80's for good music I might have missed, than to slog through the dreck of now, to possibly find something that's even remotely as good as what I enjoyed in the 70's and 80's, on record, and in concert.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

M564038

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:25 pm

The last decade where everything on the radio wasn’t programmed to be likeable by the lowest common denominator was the 80’s, that is correct. The amount of great music being made has only grown, although the abyssmal royalty system in streaming, and that piracy killed the economy of most artist right below the commercial surface has made the last decade detoriate musically. That again would have looked worse, if it hadn’t been somewhat compensated by the fact that fast computers makes it possible to make (even great) music in some genres almost without means. Anything that requires 2 or more people to make music together in a room to make a great recording or performance has become incredibly tough and out of reach for most.

Mortyman wrote:

LCDFlight

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 am

Max Q wrote:
‘Hurts so good’

Used to be burned out on "Jack and Diane" by him, but gradually came to appreciate "Life goes on / Long after the thrill of living is gone". That makes the song into something darker. The song is basically negative, which might make it a more interesting song if you see it that way.

However, can't and will never tolerate "Come on Eileen."

CaptHadley

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:32 am

Every song played on any classic rock radio station. On that note, why on God's green earth does anybody go to see these dinosaur acts. Lynyrd Skynyrd, there's ONE original member (Medlocke doesn't count) Foreigner, no Lou Gramm no Foreigner, same with Journey, no Steve Perry, no Journey. Perry's voice was incredible and cannot be replaced. Molly Hatchet, there's not a single original member! Sorry, not spending my money on a glorified cover band, Blackfoot was a killer band back in the day, again no original members. Explain it to me, is it a NASCAR type of Whooo! rock and roll, Freebird! Could care less as long as the Pabst is flowing and there's music being played?

Max Q

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:47 am

luckyone wrote:
Max Q wrote:
‘Hurts so good’

Well put !

Mellencamp is one of those really average artists that strung together some really boring, forgettable tunes that somehow appeal to a certain demographic

The first time I heard any of his crap it was one too many but it never stops being played somewhere, it’s depressing and incredibly monotonous

But to me the #1 most mind numbing , annoying desperately crappy song ever has to be LSK’s ‘sweet home Alabama’

Always playing somewhere..

GGg

luckyone
Topic Author

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 am

Max Q wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Max Q wrote:
‘Hurts so good’

Well put !

Mellencamp is one of those really average artists that strung together some really boring, forgettable tunes that somehow appeal to a certain demographic

The first time I heard any of his crap it was one too many but it never stops being played somewhere, it’s depressing and incredibly monotonous

But to me the #1 most mind numbing , annoying desperately crappy song ever has to be LSK’s ‘sweet home Alabama’

Always playing somewhere..

I have tried to suppress that band from my consciousness.

DL717

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:58 pm

In the 90's everyone got mad. When they stopped being mad (or killed themselves off) everything sounded the same. Still does.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

ER757

Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:34 pm

johns624 wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Journey plunged downhill when they got Steve Perry. Listen to their Look Into The Future album and you'll know what I mean. Especially the title song.

Couldn't agree more - Journey's first two albums were great, they went way more pop-oriented when Perry joined.

I'll throw out two that I swear I hear every single sporting event - "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones and "Crazy Train" by Ozzie - both very much overplayed

Max Q

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:46 pm

‘I wear my sunglasses at night’

He probably does and ended up hitting his head once too often..

Seriously obnoxious song and the most bizarre, indecipherable lyrics

I finally looked them up and wish I hadn’t, they make less sense now than when I couldn’t make them out !

GGg

Kno

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:13 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

I couldn’t agree more and you are definitely not alone.

Sweet Caroline is also an awful song that I’d love to vanish off the face of the earth.

Kno

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Mortyman wrote:

That’s only true if you are extremely limited on which genres you enjoy and/or only listen to music played the radio.

OzarkD9S

Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:35 am

Anything by Styx and/or Billy Joel.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

ER757

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:39 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: This - a thousand times this!

System07

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Kno wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

I couldn’t agree more and you are definitely not alone.

Sweet Caroline is also an awful song that I’d love to vanish off the face of the earth.

Yes! And try living in Michigan they play that song all the time in bars etc so people can scream the “south Detroit” part. I was so over that pretty much immediately

Aaron747

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:27 pm

Hate the generic post-2005 hip hop crap with deep bass used for almost every MLB player when coming to bat. The main riff of ‘Barracuda’ or ‘Whole Lotta Love’ or ‘Sex Type Thing’ are far better.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

M564038

Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:37 pm

That must be a local phenomenom for you guys, I’ve never heard styx played in public or on the radio anywhere in the world at any time the last 2-3 decades.
Styx is just some local band in the usa, i think.
It is a lousy band, but not really big enough to be irritating.

Billy Joel; great artist, think I’ve heard him 2 times on the radio in my entire life. If he is overplayed, it must also be a local thing to just usa.
You guys should get out more!

Which reminds me of the one artist you’ll hear overplayed the most, wether you are in an outpost in antarctica or in the arctic, a beach in australia, thailand, trinidad, hawaii, Zansibar or backpakcing in europe.
Maybe not in London, Paris or Singapore, but all the places most people actually are.

It is Bloody science denier Bob Marley.

Awfull!

A genious!

But
Awfull!

Stirr it up my A**!

ER757 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: This - a thousand times this!

chimborazo

Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:28 pm

afcjets wrote:
luckyone wrote:

There's actually another song released a year or so after Time after Time that was used in so many different movies that it might hold the record. "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. At least Cyndi Lauper's hit is a decent song and she actually is somewhat legendary.

Walking on Sunshine is a strange one for me because when I hear it, it brings back one of the (few, I have to say) good childhood memories I have of being on a plane to somewhere or other, excited about the fact I could plug earphones into the seat and listen to music; that song seemed to be on repeat on the system. I cannot stand the song itself as it’s extremely irritating and will always skip it when able if it comes up on a playlist. Still gives a whiff of nostalgia for that remembered moment though.

Max Q

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:55 am

Pharrell’s ‘Happy’ in recent times was massively annoying

GGg

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:11 am

I enjoy "Don't Stop Believin'" -- Here's a wonderful performance done in Houston at the Summit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

You can listen multiple times with the YouTube Loop function.

Now a song, that I can't stand to hear is "We Are The Champions." Way Way Way Overdone!!!
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aaron747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:17 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
I enjoy "Don't Stop Believin'" -- Here's a wonderful performance done in Houston at the Summit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0

You can listen multiple times with the YouTube Loop function.

Now a song, that I can't stand to hear is "We Are The Champions." Way Way Way Overdone!!!

As any SF Giants fan knows, Steve Perry is always welcome at the ballpark:

https://youtu.be/VAgiWrBn5As

https://youtu.be/l7knyBW2zDo
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:29 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Hate the generic post-2005 hip hop crap with deep bass used for almost every MLB player when coming to bat. The main riff of ‘Barracuda’ or ‘Whole Lotta Love’ or ‘Sex Type Thing’ are far better.

Back in the day, Texas Wrestler Kerry Von Erich used Rush's "Tom Sawyer" as his intro music in the 1980's.

casinterest

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:36 am

I miss having an overdone song.
I have gotten away from mainstream radio, so I don't feel like anything is overdone anymore. I do miss hearing "Silent lucidity" by queensrych, and "Jeremy" by pearl jam.
Those right there were songs i thought at the time were far overplayed.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aaron747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:25 am

casinterest wrote:
I have gotten away from mainstream radio, so I don't feel like anything is overdone anymore. I do miss hearing "Silent lucidity" by queensrych, and "Jeremy" by pearl jam.

Man oh man, I remember when 'Jeremy' was pretty much on MTV multiple times a day in '91-92.

flipdewaf

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:47 am

Ugh! Any song after 50’s/60’s/70’s/80’s/90’s/00’s (delete as appropriate) they all sounded the same after that. It has nothing to do with the fact that I was born in the 30’s/40’s/50’s/60’s/70’s/80’s/90’s (again, delete as appropriate) and the need for social bonding during my late teens and early 20’s tied to initial sexual experiences and driving fast followed by periods of only nursery rhymes and feeling tired meant that I didn’t actually listen to music and complained about my knees hurting and the cost of fuel!

It’s not the rose tinted glasses of my youth talking, it’s definitely the music that got worse!

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaptHadley

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:54 am

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Man oh man, I remember when 'Jeremy' was pretty much on MTV multiple times a day in '91-92.

Listening to Eddie Vedder sing requires the closed caption option being on.

luckyone
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:27 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I don't think you can qualify as a "Seattle band," unless your lyrics are 95% open to the interpretation of the listener and slurred like you're on heroin (which most of them were...).

BlueberryWheats

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:08 pm

I'm sure any other British forum member will agree with me (especially the English)... I'm sick to the back teeth of "Three Lions".

It's always been awful, and is everywhere during any international match for the English football team.

afcjets

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 pm

Decades ago when when karaoke was forced on everyone when bars kept installing those stupid machines, you would hear the same two songs over and over again. The big (usually coed) group of drunk friends picking "Love Shack" or the girls night out ones would always sing "I will Survive" and it was always obvious who the lead singer was. The less attractive, fat girl virgin who is singing about a guy who had no idea they were dating or worse might not even know who she is. I hope that's offensive enough to make a group of drunk girls stick with Love Shack.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:02 am

luckyone wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I don't think you can qualify as a "Seattle band," unless your lyrics are 95% open to the interpretation of the listener and slurred like you're on heroin (which most of them were...).

When they came out, Pearl Jam were not counted among 'genuine' Seattle bands simply because they had signed with Epic.

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:37 am

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

When they came out, Pearl Jam were not counted among 'genuine' Seattle bands simply because they had signed with Epic.

Ironic considering most members of Pearl Jam are local while THE Seattle band that most lay folk think of — that really terrible band, what was their name? Oh yeah, Nirvana, fronted by the pretentious whiner Kurt Cobain— spent very little time in Seattle. The only one of the members to ever actually live in Seattle was Cobain, and that was well AFTER they were famous. The band members spent most of their time in Aberdeen and Olympia, and then most of the famous period in LA. Can you tell this really grinds my gears? Lol

Aaron747

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:53 am

luckyone wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Ironic considering most members of Pearl Jam are local while THE Seattle band that most lay folk think of — that really terrible band, what was their name? Oh yeah, Nirvana, fronted by the pretentious whiner Kurt Cobain— spent very little time in Seattle. The only one of the members to ever actually live in Seattle was Cobain, and that was well AFTER they were famous. The band members spent most of their time in Aberdeen and Olympia, and then most of the famous period in LA. Can you tell this really grinds my gears? Lol

According to friends of mine who were major grunge heads, both bands we mentioned are poseurs. The real grunge kings are Alice in Chains to ‘real’ fans (I thought they were a metal band). Music fans seem to spend more time picking arguments than listening to tunes :lol:

luckyone
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

According to friends of mine who were major grunge heads, both bands we mentioned are poseurs. The real grunge kings are Alice in Chains to ‘real’ fans (I thought they were a metal band). Music fans seem to spend more time picking arguments than listening to tunes :lol:

I’m certainly not a grunge head, but I’d actually be inclined to agree with your friend. Given the choice of the three I’d listen to AIC every time. I’d also agree with you that they were more of a metal band than grunge, particularly their breakout hit “Man in the Box.” I was a bit young to fully grasp grunge (even if it had been allowed in my house, which it would not have been) and by the time I was actually starting to pay attention to music grunge was dead and so were some of its most prominent figures. I was obviously also too young for metal but from a de novo place I find metal much more accessible than grunge, which to me was a bunch of whiney kids demanding attention by attempting to be painfully ironic, all the while a great bit of the music they made just sounds like metal played through mud—the emo bands of the early 2000s strike me the same. Metal bands (particularly hair metal) had something a little more playful about it, didn’t take itself so seriously, were perfectly happy to take the attention and owned it. Perhaps if I’d been older and influenced by the cultural mood that surrounded grunge it would make more sense to me, but I’m not, and just find it so dark and painfully dour.

EasternSon

Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:25 pm

My work has Sirius/XM, but we're only allowed to put on several channels because of inappropriate lyrics. A lot of time we land on "The Blend" - which is not only repetitive, but in my opinion, is the worst music on the radio waves these days.

Love me like you do - ellie goulding
Rolling in the deep - adele
A million dreams - Pink
Fight song - rachel platten
Hello - Adele
Million Reasons - Lady Gaga
If I can't have you - sean mendes
Sorty of my life - one direction
Blank space - taylor swift
One call away - charlie puth
You say - lauren daigle

Imagine those songs played on a loop for 8 hours a day, every day. I'm serious when I say it feels like that's the entire playlist.

It drives me crazy, because I can't block out music. I literally have to either close my office door, or put my fingers in my ears when I'm trying to read/comprehend something.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:15 pm

EasternSon wrote:
It drives me crazy, because I can't block out music. I literally have to either close my office door, or put my fingers in my ears when I'm trying to read/comprehend something.

Try something like these: