Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:45 am

While on a routine visit, my doctor told me that she won’t be getting the vaccine and told me I shouldn’t either. It was strange because during all of this she swore up and down that she wasn’t one of those “anti-vaxx” people. I was left baffled and even more confused when I walked past her office and noticed she had a bunch of pro-Trump stuff on the walls. It was like the twilight zone that day. She also tried to talk my 87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom out of getting the vaccine. I’m at a loss and don’t know if I should start looking for a new doctor. She’s been the family physician for years and we’ve never had an issue but the vaccine rant and ghastly overdone Trump decorations really disturbed me.

Should I just let this go and continue seeing her or start looking for a new doctor?

c933103

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:27 am

What exactly did the dictor quoted as argument?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

Aaron747

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:34 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
While on a routine visit, my doctor told me that she won’t be getting the vaccine and told me I shouldn’t either. It was strange because during all of this she swore up and down that she wasn’t one of those “anti-vaxx” people. I was left baffled and even more confused when I walked past her office and noticed she had a bunch of pro-Trump stuff on the walls. It was like the twilight zone that day. She also tried to talk my 87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom out of getting the vaccine. I’m at a loss and don’t know if I should start looking for a new doctor. She’s been the family physician for years and we’ve never had an issue but the vaccine rant and ghastly overdone Trump decorations really disturbed me.

Should I just let this go and continue seeing her or start looking for a new doctor?

I think you have all the signs you need to indicate she has gone off the cult deep end. Time for a new GP.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

scbriml

Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:35 am

CitizenJustin wrote:

It is hard to explain or understand why a medical professional would take such a course. That said, one of our daughter's best friends is a doctor and she refused to take the vaccine (for no valid reason that we could discern - we would have always characterised her as the most sensible of Sarah's friends). We found out yesterday that she's now tested positive for Covid-19 and has been quite ill for a few days.

I'm assuming your doctor is possibly a little older? Sarah's doctor friend is mid-30s. Was the display of political material in a public area or her private office? I would find it very unprofessional if it was in a public area (regardless of R or D). Vaccine and politics aside, if you've otherwise been happy with her service, I'd probably stick with her. But if both those things make you uncomfortable about continuing to see her, then you should find another doctor that you're more comfortable with.

After a little further thought, I guess I'd be concerned that her political views were possibly influencing her medical professionalism. That would worry me more. Out of interest, what reasons did she give for not taking the vaccine herself and recommending you don't either?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

M564038

Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:04 pm

You absolutely have to switch doctor! She has quite clearly let cultist politics get in the way of science. There are medical subjects outside of vaccine that the politics can cloud her understanding of. I don’t know how authorizations for health personell work in your nevk of the woods, but there have been a couple of cases here where people have lost their authorizations on similar grounds after outbreaks could be traced to their actions/lack of actions believing in myths about C-19.

lightsaber

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:00 pm

My relative who is a critical care doctor had two unvacvinated patients die yesterday and while I don't know any details, I know it very much upset my relative; this usually implies a younger death (they have had healthy people die as young as 16 from Delta).

So time to get vaccinated and consider a new GP.

Vaccines aren't as effective keeping away illness with Delta (The vaccine thread has good discussion on this), but AZ J&J, Pfizer and Moderna are remarkably effective stopping hospitalizations.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1453993

Ignore the headline, the numbers are very encouraging for vaccines:
https://news.yahoo.com/news/news/vaccin ... 13911.html

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

johns624

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:36 pm

It reminds me of the old joke...
Q. What do you call a person who graduated last in a medical school class of 500?
A. Doctor
It appears that her political position is overriding her many years of medical training. I would worry that she could make inaccurate judgements in the future.

casinterest

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:29 pm

Getting the vaccine is fundamentally needed. Doctors such as this one are ignoring science for political posturing. I would stop seeing this doctor personally, but i understand the long family history.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

DocLightning

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:07 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

Not only do you need a new doctor, but you also should report her to the Board for failing to follow Standard of Care.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aaron747

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:13 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Not only do you need a new doctor, but you also should report her to the Board for failing to follow Standard of Care.

Out of curiosity, how does that usually go? Would one such report be enough to initiate a Board investigation, or would it normally come from a flurry of reports?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

fr8mech

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Is this the only problem you have with her? Have you typically been happy with the care you’ve received there? Is this a deal breaker for you?

I’ve seen lots of doctors recently, some have varied in their opinions on how I should be treated. Ultimately, the decision was mine.

My bigger concern would be the political stuff in the office. I’ve been seeing my GP for 16 years, my oncologist for 4 years, my dentist for 12 years, and my ENT for 12 years. I have no clue as to their politics. Not a single one has any political information in their offices…excepting the decades old magazines. But, even those are gone with the CoVid protocols in place.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

phatfarmlines

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:29 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

Speaking from a layman's perspective, what basis is the doctor working on to determine that you, your mother, and your grandmother should not get the vaccine?

A doctor's recommendation for a patient to not get the vaccine should be based on science, meaning that based on your vitals, an injection could very well incapacitate you or even cause death.

I've received my second dose, and while I did get the symptoms associated with the 2nd Pfizer dose, I've recovered from it two days after receiving the second dose. I'll update this in the ongoing vaccine experience thread.

All things considered, get a second opinion if you have a strong relationship with your current GP. If you do decide to get the COVID vaccine, get multiple follow-up COVID tests and advise the results to your doctor to let he or she know you are not a walking asymptomatic. Just be mindful a new GP may also not have your best interests in mind.

lightsaber

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:40 pm

Get the vaccine. I posted more in another thread, but a cousin of mine brought Delta home and infected his two kids and then the kids infected his soon to be ex-wife

More in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1459397

Delta seems to take very little time to transmit.

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

slider

Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:34 pm

I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...

MoonC

Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:19 pm

She can swear up and down all she wants but if she's actually trying persuade a 87 and 64 years old persons out of getting the vaccine, without a good reason, like a medical condition that would actually prevent them from getting said vaccine, I doubt it's her medical expertise that's talking.

The overtly political display for the "it's a hoax, they won't talk about it after November 4th" President, brings me to the same conclusion.

In other words, I would look for someone else.

Pellegrine

Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Your doctor is an idiot. Find a new doctor. Something similar happened to me years ago with PrEP. I didn't listen to what that fool said. I went and got a new doctor.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

mdsh00

Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:00 pm

Doctor here and sadly, a small number of people like that exist in my profession. That being said it's estimated that 98% of doctors are vaccinated. It's infuriating and saddens me that with all this knowledge, a doctor would actively discourage a patient from getting a vaccine for no logical reason. My advice to you is to find a new doctor.

DocLightning

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how does that usually go? Would one such report be enough to initiate a Board investigation, or would it normally come from a flurry of reports?

She'd need to respond to the complaint, which is a PITA, and it would be on her record. A single report may or may not be enough to trigger Board action. For Bob Sears, a father's complaint that he issued a vaccine exemption to his son without actually examining his son and included incorrect information on the exemption was enough to get his license put on probation.

But advising two adults of 60 not to get vaccinated without a clear medical rationale? That's malpractice.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

cpd

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:12 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

New doctor time (just don’t go back) and report the doctor. That doesn’t seem right.

chimborazo

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:28 pm

It may not necessarily be the case that because she displays evidence of being by a Trump supporter that she believes the vaccine myths. My girlfriend is a medical doctor (not practicing in that field now) and was initially reticent about having the jab because it was relatively early in its development. But she considered it and risk assessed that it was more important to have it than whatever potential side effects may have happened (second dose over a month ago and she’s fine).
People are refusing vaccines on religious grounds: I find that more troubling than someone’s political thinking. If “the big boss upstairs” is thinking you shouldn’t have the vaccine… why did they send the virus in the first place?

To answer the question: yes you should change doctor from one who has actively tried to dissuade you and others from taking the vaccine. You should also note this on your “leaving letter/email” if there is such a thing.

seb146

Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:36 pm

slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...

Stickers and signs that say things like "blue lives matter" and Confederate flags are a give away.

There are legitimate reasons for not giving someone a vaccine. Being a MAGA supporter is not one of them. I switched doctors before because we did not communicate effectively with each other. There is nothing wrong at all with switching doctors for legitimate reasons. My current doctor is well educated and we communicate well but I don't care for some of his mannerisms. I will not be switching doctors simply for that. He has been giving me great advice and has been a good resource.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

NIKV69

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:15 pm

slider wrote:

C'mon now...

Neither do I.

Again I ask why didn't the OP already get the vaccine? From postings here all throughout the pandemic it would seem he would have never asked any opinion and gotten the vaccine already.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

DTVG

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:30 pm

I don’t see why you should change your GP. I do find it strange that she is against your mother and grandmother being vaccinated, but simply being against the vaccination doesn’t make you some kind of wingnut. I have quite a few respectable friends who work as doctors or in the pharmaceutical industry who are not taking the vaccine. In general they do not claim the vaccine is bad per se, but they do state that the long term effects and effects on certain groups, such as pregnant women, haven’t been studied in detail, which is partly true.

In the end everybody should decide himself whether he takes the shot. As a young person the risk of having serious effects from COVID is very low and with more and more people vaccinated, you can “freeride” on herd immunity (whether that is morally right or wrong is another discussion).
Last edited by DTVG on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newark727

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:31 pm

DTVG wrote:
In the end everybody should decide himself whether he takes the shot. As a young person the risk of having serious effects from COVID is very low and with more and more people vaccinated, you can “freeride” on herd immunity.

But the more people who do this, the less well it works.

DTVG

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:34 pm

Newark727 wrote:
DTVG wrote:
In the end everybody should decide himself whether he takes the shot. As a young person the risk of having serious effects from COVID is very low and with more and more people vaccinated, you can “freeride” on herd immunity.

But the more people who do this, the less well it works.

Agree, that is the dilemma.

bennett123

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:36 pm

DTVG wrote:
I don’t see why you should change your GP. I do find it strange that she is against your mother and grandmother being vaccinated, but simply being against the vaccination doesn’t make you some kind of wingnut. I have quite a few respectable friends who work as doctors or in the pharmaceutical industry who are not taking the vaccine. In general they do not claim the vaccine is bad per se, but they do state that the long term effects and effects on certain groups, such as pregnant women, haven’t been studied in detail, which is partly true.

In the end everybody should decide himself whether he takes the shot. As a young person the risk of having serious effects from COVID is very low and with more and more people vaccinated, you can “freeride” on herd immunity (whether that is morally right or wrong is another discussion).

Doubt these are factors for a woman in her 80's.

LCDFlight

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:07 am

DTVG wrote:

I think we agree about the facts (and so do all of the doctors concerned…. COVID bad and the vaccines are somewhat incompletely tested). However it is not reasonable to recommend elderly people not get the vaccine. This is indeed wingnut AFAIK. The vaccine may kill 1 in a million while COVID kills 3,000 in a million or so. While I am not qualified in health care, I do know how to count very well.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:19 am

DTVG wrote:

If your friends work in such industries, then they are fully aware that the mRNA vaccines’ materials are broken down by the body’s cells rather quickly. There can’t be long term effects.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:38 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
...She also tried to talk my 87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom out of getting the vaccine...

Out of curiosity why 87, 64 year olds and you are still not vaccinated? I am guessing this is a recent episode.

We didn't ask opinion of our primary care physician neither did call pediatrician. We thought about it but what the heck millions already got it.
All posts are just opinions.

marcelh

Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:38 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

If your friends work in such industries, then they are fully aware that the mRNA vaccines’ materials are broken down by the body’s cells rather quickly. There can’t be long term effects.

Maybe they just don’t understand the basics of mRNA vaccines. Working in an industry doesn’t mean they are on top of the developements…..

lugie

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:49 am

LCDFlight wrote:
The vaccine may kill 1 in a million while COVID kills 3,000 in a million or so. While I am not qualified in health care, I do know how to count very well.

In the elderly it's more like 20,000 - 100,000 out of a million depending on how elderly they are so yeah, get the vaccine, it's that simple.

And if your doctor doesn't understand or doesn't want to understand that it's that simple, 100% get a new doctor.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

Aaron747

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:09 am

marcelh wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DTVG wrote:

Maybe they just don’t understand the basics of mRNA vaccines. Working in an industry doesn’t mean they are on top of the developements…..

If an MD hasn't read the basic FAQs about the mRNA vaccines they aren't doing their damned job.

johns624

Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:48 am

It seems like the OP has disappeared...

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:01 am

Couple of things doesn't add up in the story.

87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom should have gotten their vaccine by Jan/Feb. Why are they having this conversation at the end of June.

Assuming poster is at least 17,(joined at 13 + 4 year old account) he/she should have gotten vaccine by now at school or million other places.

Family should have known their PCP's political leaning long before. I know very well what my Doctor's opinion on COVID-19's origin. Whether I agree/disagree it is not my business as long as he is good in taking care of our health.

OA412

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:24 pm

I agree with the others who suggest finding another GP. Your profile says you're 35, so I'm not sure why she'd suggest you not get vaxxed, let alone your 64 year old mother and 87 year old grandmother. It boggles the mind that any doctor would suggest such a thing unless the vaccine is contraindicated for both of them.

On another note, I don't understand why some find it hard to believe she had pro-Trump paraphernalia in her office. Plenty of doctors have shows a willingness to debase themselves in service to Trump throughout the pandemic. Deborah Birx. Dr. Demon Semen. The urgent care idiots in Bakersfield. And the list goes on.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Family should have known their PCP's political leaning long before.

Why? Over the years, I've seen numerous PCPs and Specialists in 3 different states. Not once did any of them talk politics with me. Any doctor who uses your visitation time to talk politics is incredibly unprofessional unless you have a personal relationship with them.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

mdsh00

Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:41 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Family should have known their PCP's political leaning long before. I know very well what my Doctor's opinion on COVID-19's origin. Whether I agree/disagree it is not my business as long as he is good in taking care of our health.

It's generally a good idea for patients and doctors to NOT discuss politics but once in a while it gets discussed.

Patients have come to me with Trump gear on and I basically ignore it and they don't say anything either.

SL1200MK2

Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:06 pm

mdsh00 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

It's generally a good idea for patients and doctors to NOT discuss politics but once in a while it gets discussed.

Patients have come to me with Trump gear on and I basically ignore it and they don't say anything either.

Well, at least its good that they believe in science enough to show up at a doctor, regardless of their foolish costumes.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:44 am

mdsh00 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Same, I have never discussed politics with ANY doctor or DDS. There is simply no good reason to.

Virtual737

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:27 am

mdsh00 wrote:

Do you think that might open you up to significant risk of a medical malpractice suit for not referring them immediately for a psych eval?

stl07

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:27 am

fr8mech wrote:

My bigger concern would be the political stuff in the office. I’ve been seeing my GP for 16 years, my oncologist for 4 years, my dentist for 12 years, and my ENT for 12 years. I have no clue as to their politics. Not a single one has any political information in their offices…excepting the decades old magazines. But, even those are gone with the CoVid protocols in place.

That is the actual problem. I don't know the political affiliation of any people I interact with in healthcare
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:31 am

stl07 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

That is the actual problem. I don't know the political affiliation of any people I interact with in healthcare

It shouldn't be of any consequence unless they are unable to draw lines and choose politics over science.

stl07

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

It shouldn't be of any consequence unless they are unable to draw lines and choose politics over science.

Which we see here didn't occur
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:07 am

I went to my family's long-term doctor when I was pregnant and he smoked in front of me during our visit. I would never put up with that now, but back then, I went along with it because my grandfather was a doctor and this is who he went to, and who my parents went to, so I thought I was in good hands.

Now, I have two daughters-in-law who are physicians, and now I definitely know, physicians do not know everything. If your physician a GP. Then she doesn't have the background knowledge needed to tell people what to do. I would worry about your elderly family members they are vulnerable and should already be vaccinated. They tend to trust their physicians and don't want to go to anyone new. So you are in a pickle. Just do your best to make sure they are vaccinated soon.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:56 am

OA412 wrote:
Why? Over the years, I've seen numerous PCPs and Specialists in 3 different states. Not once did any of them talk politics with me. Any doctor who uses your visitation time to talk politics is incredibly unprofessional unless you have a personal relationship with them.

Our experience is slightly different, we have been going to same Doctor for 20+ years and my kid has same pediatrician since birth. We talk about everything in the 15-20 minutes, what properties he bought recently, vacation ideas, cooking, who his daughter is dating and politics. He knows everything about our family. Never crossed my mind he being unprofessional.

I don't support this particular Doctor trying to talk poster's family out of vaccination but, 87/64 still not vaccinated? I don't believe for a second.

Story seems to be made up, unless poster he/she comes back and explains.

c933103

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:05 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
...She also tried to talk my 87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom out of getting the vaccine...

Out of curiosity why 87, 64 year olds and you are still not vaccinated? I am guessing this is a recent episode.

We didn't ask opinion of our primary care physician neither did call pediatrician. We thought about it but what the heck millions already got it.

We don't have any information which country the OP's family and theur doctors were at. It mentioned spotting pro-Trump decoration but it is not only American who would post them despite Trump being an American politician.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life

johns624

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:38 pm

c933103 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

We don't have any information which country the OP's family and theur doctors were at. It mentioned spotting pro-Trump decoration but it is not only American who would post them despite Trump being an American politician.
OP is from Kansas City, IIRC.

art

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:08 pm

johns624 wrote:
It appears that her political position is overriding her many years of medical training. I would worry that she could make inaccurate judgements in the future.

Judging that it was better to avoid vaccination and thereafter catching COVID-19 does not exactly instil confidence in the doctor's powers of judgement in all matters medical.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:02 pm

c933103 wrote:
What exactly did the dictor quoted as argument?

She said that the MRNA vaccine changes your DNA and therefore cannot be trusted. To be honest, she was rambling on a bit towards the end.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:03 pm

johns624 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

OP is from Kansas City, IIRC.

Close. Wichita, Kansas.

CitizenJustin
Topic Author

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

It is hard to explain or understand why a medical professional would take such a course. That said, one of our daughter's best friends is a doctor and she refused to take the vaccine (for no valid reason that we could discern - we would have always characterised her as the most sensible of Sarah's friends). We found out yesterday that she's now tested positive for Covid-19 and has been quite ill for a few days.

I'm assuming your doctor is possibly a little older? Sarah's doctor friend is mid-30s. Was the display of political material in a public area or her private office? I would find it very unprofessional if it was in a public area (regardless of R or D). Vaccine and politics aside, if you've otherwise been happy with her service, I'd probably stick with her. But if both those things make you uncomfortable about continuing to see her, then you should find another doctor that you're more comfortable with.

After a little further thought, I guess I'd be concerned that her political views were possibly influencing her medical professionalism. That would worry me more. Out of interest, what reasons did she give for not taking the vaccine herself and recommending you don't either?

I’d say she’s mid-40’s. Her Trump posters and decorations were in her office and not within public view. I wouldn’t have seen them but he door was cracked open.