Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:08 pm

slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...


She had Trump decorations in her personal office space. Not within public view. I wouldn’t have even seen them if it were for the door being cracked open. I you want to believe I’m making this up, fine.
 
Newark727
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:09 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
c933103 wrote:
What exactly did the dictor quoted as argument?



She said that the MRNA vaccine changes your DNA and therefore cannot be trusted. To be honest, she was rambling on a bit towards the end.


No! mRNA does not work that way! That is such a fundamental concept of biology that they call it the central dogma!
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...


Neither do I.

Again I ask why didn't the OP already get the vaccine? From postings here all throughout the pandemic it would seem he would have never asked any opinion and gotten the vaccine already.


NIK, she had the Trump decorations in her personal office. They were not located where patients can readily see them. However, I managed to get a quick glimpse while walking by because the door was cracked open. We’ve talked enough on this sub that I’d at least expect you to give me the benefit of the doubt. Different politics yes, lies, no….
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1954
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:14 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
c933103 wrote:
What exactly did the doctor quoted as argument?



She said that the MRNA vaccine changes your DNA and therefore cannot be trusted. To be honest, she was rambling on a bit towards the end.


It seems your doctor and the CDC disagree:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... facts.html

Will a COVID-19 vaccine alter my DNA?

No. COVID-19 vaccines do not change or interact with your DNA in any way.

There are currently two types of COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized and recommended for use in the United States: messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines and a viral vector vaccine. Both mRNA and viral vector COVID-19 vaccines deliver instructions (genetic material) to our cells to start building protection against the virus that causes COVID-19. However, the material never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA is kept. This means the genetic material in the vaccines cannot affect or interact with our DNA in any way. All COVID-19 vaccines work with the body’s natural defenses to safely develop immunity to disease.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5672
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:16 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
c933103 wrote:
What exactly did the dictor quoted as argument?



She said that the MRNA vaccine changes your DNA and therefore cannot be trusted. To be honest, she was rambling on a bit towards the end.

isn't there also non-mRNA vaccines in the US?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:16 pm

DocLightning wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Should I just let this go and continue seeing her or start looking for a new doctor?


Not only do you need a new doctor, but you also should report her to the Board for failing to follow Standard of Care.


Thanks Doc. You could imagine my shock when she was on the speaker phone telling my 87 year old grandmother that she doesn’t need the vaccine. She also said its her job to treat infections and she’s been doing it for decades so COVID is no different. From that moment on I no longer viewed her as a I’d view you or any other sane doctor.
 
CaptHadley
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:43 pm

I find it humorous that people don't believe this story yet fully believe the election was stolen.:rotfl:
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14622
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:10 pm

BTW how does she think a virus work ? Doesn't she know it injects genetic materials into cells ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:26 am

CaptHadley wrote:
I find it humorous that people don't believe this story yet fully believe the election was stolen.:rotfl:


I was trying to enjoy a refreshing IPA after work so now you owe me a monitor ;)
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:44 am

Still haven't answered why 87 and 64 year olds are not vaccinated.

In most states those age groups are 90+% vaccinated, some even close to 100%. Even in Sedgwick County 80+ age group are well vaccinated.

There are thousands of true MAGA crowd anti-vaxx stories, no need to make up one.
All posts are just opinions.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14393
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:58 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...


She had Trump decorations in her personal office space. Not within public view. I wouldn’t have even seen them if it were for the door being cracked open. I you want to believe I’m making this up, fine.


Even though a medical professional should never do that I can see it happening. What I don't understand is why you would ask anyone's opinion on getting vaxxed. With your posts here it would seem you would have gotten vaxxed asap without anyone's opinion. Not saying it was bad just wondering.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
johns624
Posts: 3953
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:05 pm

I also don't know how/why she was talking on a speakerphone with his grandmother while he was there. Something doesn't add up.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:18 pm

johns624 wrote:
I also don't know how/why she was talking on a speakerphone with his grandmother while he was there. Something doesn't add up.


Some people have been working through the pandemic. Some people had been told to limit contact with others because of age or weakened immune systems. Perhaps the grandmother has a condition where she must keep limited contact? Also, I know some health care systems allow one by phone "visit" per year. Mine does. I choose not to but it is an option.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
Drafran
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:14 pm

slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...


Why not? My cardiologist had Fox Nonsense tuned in on the television, not in the waiting room but in his office (which was also one of the exam rooms), when I went in for the results of my echocardiogram. Because the test results were good, I have no further need (at this time) for a cardiologist so I wished him a nice life and went on my way.
 
johns624
Posts: 3953
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I also don't know how/why she was talking on a speakerphone with his grandmother while he was there. Something doesn't add up.


Some people have been working through the pandemic. Some people had been told to limit contact with others because of age or weakened immune systems. Perhaps the grandmother has a condition where she must keep limited contact? Also, I know some health care systems allow one by phone "visit" per year. Mine does. I choose not to but it is an option.

You missed the points...
1. Very unusual for him to be in the office while she just happened to be talking on the phone with grandma.
2. Unless he was authorized, there could be HIPAA concerns.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:54 am

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I also don't know how/why she was talking on a speakerphone with his grandmother while he was there. Something doesn't add up.


Some people have been working through the pandemic. Some people had been told to limit contact with others because of age or weakened immune systems. Perhaps the grandmother has a condition where she must keep limited contact? Also, I know some health care systems allow one by phone "visit" per year. Mine does. I choose not to but it is an option.

You missed the points...
1. Very unusual for him to be in the office while she just happened to be talking on the phone with grandma.
2. Unless he was authorized, there could be HIPAA concerns.


OP said the family doctor tried talking grandma out of getting the vaccine. Not that he was in the room when a phone call was going on. In my family, we discuss our health issues in a general sense. My mom just had her female tests. That was all she said. She did not go into detail. No HIPPA violations when we are having a normal conversation about our health.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
phluser
Posts: 639
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:30 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
While on a routine visit, my doctor told me that she won’t be getting the vaccine and told me I shouldn’t either. It was strange because during all of this she swore up and down that she wasn’t one of those “anti-vaxx” people. I was left baffled and even more confused when I walked past her office and noticed she had a bunch of pro-Trump stuff on the walls. It was like the twilight zone that day. She also tried to talk my 87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom out of getting the vaccine. I’m at a loss and don’t know if I should start looking for a new doctor. She’s been the family physician for years and we’ve never had an issue but the vaccine rant and ghastly overdone Trump decorations really disturbed me.

Should I just let this go and continue seeing her or start looking for a new doctor?


I'm surprised that she had pro Trump stuff on her walls, but other than that, she seems like a number of doctors/health professionals that my dad visits. Best is how they say are not anti-vaxx and (likely get defensive if you say that they are) but are so skeptical of it, I don't know that's not anti-vax.

My dad also isn't getting the covid vaccine but instead relies on keeping high vitamin d and has ivermectin. He isn't a Trump supporter and hasn't voted Republican. But, he follows these alternative doctors, chiropractors, that cast a lot of fear on the Covid vaccine. It's almost as if the cases of Covid vaccines deaths weigh more than the number of cases in Covid deaths even if the numbers are far greater in the latter. They cite the same mRNA fear as mentioned, and re-iterate long term effects are unknown and end the conversation there. The ones my dad sees aren't pro Trump publicly but they forward material from sites like brandnewtube that portray the mainstream media in the same light as how Trump did. A number of friends that practice homeopathy aren't supportive of vaccines.

Then I meet other people from work etc, and will mention Democratic policies like minimum wage increases, government interference, diversity in upper management, environment regulation, Obamacare, in a negative way, where I know how they most likely voted, but on the vaccine front, are pretty mainstream and they openly say they are vaccinated.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:38 pm

seb146 wrote:
Not that he was in the room when a phone call was going on.


Yes he did in this post.

CitizenJustin wrote:
Thanks Doc. You could imagine my shock when she was on the speaker phone telling my 87 year old grandmother that she doesn’t need the vaccine. She also said its her job to treat infections and she’s been doing it for decades so COVID is no different. From that moment on I no longer viewed her as a I’d view you or any other sane doctor.


Not sure why so much effort being made to prove his what appears to be fabricated story.

Doctor was on speaker phone doesn't add up to walking by Doctor's office.

Punishing Doctor comes later, first lets get the story straight.
All posts are just opinions.
 
johns624
Posts: 3953
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Some people have been working through the pandemic. Some people had been told to limit contact with others because of age or weakened immune systems. Perhaps the grandmother has a condition where she must keep limited contact? Also, I know some health care systems allow one by phone "visit" per year. Mine does. I choose not to but it is an option.

You missed the points...
1. Very unusual for him to be in the office while she just happened to be talking on the phone with grandma.
2. Unless he was authorized, there could be HIPAA concerns.


OP said the family doctor tried talking grandma out of getting the vaccine. Not that he was in the room when a phone call was going on. In my family, we discuss our health issues in a general sense. My mom just had her female tests. That was all she said. She did not go into detail. No HIPPA violations when we are having a normal conversation about our health.

1. As another poster confirmed, he did say he was in the room when the doctor was talking to his grandmother.
2. HIPAA has nothing to do with what your family discusses. It has to do with doctor/patient confidentiality. If his grandmother hadn't listed him as an approved person to discuss her condition with, the doctor was breaking the rules.
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 22230
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:50 pm

phluser wrote:
I'm surprised that she had pro Trump stuff on her walls, but other than that, she seems like a number of doctors/health professionals that my dad visits. Best is how they say are not anti-vaxx and (likely get defensive if you say that they are) but are so skeptical of it, I don't know that's not anti-vax.


Look, I have a fair amount more molecular biology training and a *lot* more molecular virology education than the average doctor (I have a graduate degree in these topics; most physicians don't), but even by the end of AP Biology, I would have had enough of a grasp on mRNA technology to not be "skeptical."

I have advised *one* patient to defer getting vaccinated for a little bit because he just had a major medical event that caused some (hopefully fully recoverable) damage to his heart. But to recommend against it on a blanket level? That's something that a Board should review. Such a person should not be practicing medicine.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:15 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Not that he was in the room when a phone call was going on.


Yes he did in this post.

CitizenJustin wrote:
Thanks Doc. You could imagine my shock when she was on the speaker phone telling my 87 year old grandmother that she doesn’t need the vaccine. She also said its her job to treat infections and she’s been doing it for decades so COVID is no different. From that moment on I no longer viewed her as a I’d view you or any other sane doctor.


Not sure why so much effort being made to prove his what appears to be fabricated story.

Doctor was on speaker phone doesn't add up to walking by Doctor's office.

Punishing Doctor comes later, first lets get the story straight.


Could the reason doctor was on the phone with grandma to talk to everyone in the family all at once about a covid shot? Also, as I pointed out, some people have weakened immune systems and must limit their contact with people. There is the general HIPPA federal laws, yes, but each state has their own laws as well. When we lived in California, my doctor would sometimes call about something in my chart. In Oregon, the doctor leaves the room to make a call.

There are things the OP left out. Everyone does when relating a story. Let's just wait and see what he says about why doctor was on speakerphone before passing judgement.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
IADCA
Posts: 2359
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:28 pm

slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...


My until-recent doctor (I moved, not a problem with her) has a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff all over her (very public) social media and her car, as well as in her private office. That's in a very blue area. But she encourages vaccines, both COVID and everything else and doesn't have the political stuff in public-facing areas of her office. I don't have trouble believing that someone with medical training who has gone far enough to become an anti-vaxxer has political stuff in public areas of their office.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:54 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Not sure why so much effort being made to prove his what appears to be fabricated story.


And I'm not sure why so much effort is being made to claim his story isn't possible. Clearly, it is. Claiming it is "fabricated" in assuming facts which are not in evidence here.


dtw2hyd wrote:
Punishing Doctor comes later, first lets get the story straight.


Even if it were hypothetical, it deserves a discussion about what someone should do when such a situation arises. As DocLightning - who is conspicuously much more informed in these areas than the rest of us - says, actions like this by a licensed medical "professional" would deserve to be brought to the attention of the proper authorities. That is the type of information we can learn from people who know what they are talking about.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:15 am

alfa164 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Not sure why so much effort being made to prove his what appears to be fabricated story.


And I'm not sure why so much effort is being made to claim his story isn't possible. Clearly, it is. Claiming it is "fabricated" in assuming facts which are not in evidence here.


dtw2hyd wrote:
Punishing Doctor comes later, first lets get the story straight.


Even if it were hypothetical, it deserves a discussion about what someone should do when such a situation arises. As DocLightning - who is conspicuously much more informed in these areas than the rest of us - says, actions like this by a licensed medical "professional" would deserve to be brought to the attention of the proper authorities. That is the type of information we can learn from people who know what they are talking about.


One week is more than enough to clarify simple things for OP or anybody.
1) Why 87 and 64 year olds are still not vaccinated?
2) Was the poster at Doctor's office (or) at home with family on a phone call with Doctor?

We register as Dem,Rep or Ind.
We accept personal political leanings of Supreme Court Justices.

If this Doctor exhibited unethical professional behavior for any reason, she should be punished, and the medical board will make an informed decision looking at medical charts of said patients, not based on half information posted on internet.

First get the story straight.
All posts are just opinions.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:16 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
I find it humorous that people don't believe this story yet fully believe the election was stolen.:rotfl:


This is a really good point! LOL
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:18 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
NIKV69 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
slider wrote:
I don't believe for a minute that your doctor had a bunch of Trump/MAGA stuff up.

C'mon now...


She had Trump decorations in her personal office space. Not within public view. I wouldn’t have even seen them if it were for the door being cracked open. I you want to believe I’m making this up, fine.


Even though a medical professional should never do that I can see it happening. What I don't understand is why you would ask anyone's opinion on getting vaxxed. With your posts here it would seem you would have gotten vaxxed asap without anyone's opinion. Not saying it was bad just wondering.



Because I admit I was hesitant and I didn’t know all the facts. It’s as simple as that.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:21 pm

johns624 wrote:
I also don't know how/why she was talking on a speakerphone with his grandmother while he was there. Something doesn't add up.



Stop trying to find something that isn’t there. We all go to her so we had a conference about the vaccine. She’s our family doctor and we’re close like that. The problem is telling the elderly that they don’t need a vaccination and the Trump decorations all over her wall like a shrine. That’s what’s I’m talking about.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Not that he was in the room when a phone call was going on.


Yes he did in this post.

CitizenJustin wrote:
Thanks Doc. You could imagine my shock when she was on the speaker phone telling my 87 year old grandmother that she doesn’t need the vaccine. She also said its her job to treat infections and she’s been doing it for decades so COVID is no different. From that moment on I no longer viewed her as a I’d view you or any other sane doctor.


Not sure why so much effort being made to prove his what appears to be fabricated story.

Doctor was on speaker phone doesn't add up to walking by Doctor's office.

Punishing Doctor comes later, first lets get the story straight.


Could the reason doctor was on the phone with grandma to talk to everyone in the family all at once about a covid shot? Also, as I pointed out, some people have weakened immune systems and must limit their contact with people. There is the general HIPPA federal laws, yes, but each state has their own laws as well. When we lived in California, my doctor would sometimes call about something in my chart. In Oregon, the doctor leaves the room to make a call.

There are things the OP left out. Everyone does when relating a story. Let's just wait and see what he says about why doctor was on speakerphone before passing judgement.



Yes, she’s a very close family doctor and she wanted to talk to us about this COVID-19 vaccine, so we did a conference call with her and that’s when the hit hit the fan. I know it may sound weird to people but really, we’re not exactly living in normal times lol.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:26 pm

I’m any case, I’ve found a new doctor now and I’m hoping it will be a positive experience. No politician or antivaxx nonsense would be a nice change.
 
johns624
Posts: 3953
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:02 pm

A doctor who doesn't know the difference between a virus and an infection. This is getting better all the time.
First, he overheard the doctor on the speakerphone talking to his grandmother and now it was a conference call. Also, with all the info available online from sources like the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., and he's still confused and asking the family doctor. Sure, I believe you...
 
Drafran
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:06 pm

johns624 wrote:
A doctor who doesn't know the difference between a virus and an infection. This is getting better all the time.
First, he overheard the doctor on the speakerphone talking to his grandmother and now it was a conference call. Also, with all the info available online from sources like the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., and he's still confused and asking the family doctor. Sure, I believe you...


Something tells me he won't lose a moment of sleep worrying about whether or not some rando on a bulletin board believes him. :roll:
 
johns624
Posts: 3953
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:08 pm

Drafran wrote:
johns624 wrote:
A doctor who doesn't know the difference between a virus and an infection. This is getting better all the time.
First, he overheard the doctor on the speakerphone talking to his grandmother and now it was a conference call. Also, with all the info available online from sources like the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., and he's still confused and asking the family doctor. Sure, I believe you...


Something tells me he won't lose a moment of sleep worrying about whether or not some rando on a bulletin board believes him. :roll:
Probably not, but why post it in the first place?
 
art
Posts: 4170
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:30 pm

johns624 wrote:
Drafran wrote:
johns624 wrote:
A doctor who doesn't know the difference between a virus and an infection. This is getting better all the time.
First, he overheard the doctor on the speakerphone talking to his grandmother and now it was a conference call. Also, with all the info available online from sources like the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., and he's still confused and asking the family doctor. Sure, I believe you...


Something tells me he won't lose a moment of sleep worrying about whether or not some rando on a bulletin board believes him. :roll:
Probably not, but why post it in the first place?


Because the doctor espouses an opinion running counter to the data-based wisdom of the medical community? Is it normal for a doctor to behave in such a manner?

What would be serious in my view would be if the doctor's opinion was in any way affected by her political affiliation.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:40 pm

art wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Drafran wrote:

Something tells me he won't lose a moment of sleep worrying about whether or not some rando on a bulletin board believes him. :roll:
Probably not, but why post it in the first place?


Because the doctor espouses an opinion running counter to the data-based wisdom of the medical community? Is it normal for a doctor to behave in such a manner?

What would be serious in my view would be if the doctor's opinion was in any way affected by her political affiliation.


Per CDC, Kansas vaccination rate is 92% for 65+ age group. This anti-vaxx Trump supporting Doctor is not very successful talking old people out of vaccines. Only two people left behind.

Most medical offices have several Doctors, if you don't like a Doctor's opinion all you have to do is schedule an appoint with different Doctor at same office.

I am still contemplating how OP was able to see Trump posters passing by from a speaker phone.
All posts are just opinions.
 
Drafran
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:22 am

johns624 wrote:
Drafran wrote:
johns624 wrote:
A doctor who doesn't know the difference between a virus and an infection. This is getting better all the time.
First, he overheard the doctor on the speakerphone talking to his grandmother and now it was a conference call. Also, with all the info available online from sources like the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., and he's still confused and asking the family doctor. Sure, I believe you...


Something tells me he won't lose a moment of sleep worrying about whether or not some rando on a bulletin board believes him. :roll:
Probably not, but why post it in the first place?


As I am not the individual who started the thread, perhaps you should be asking him?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:42 am

johns624 wrote:
Drafran wrote:
johns624 wrote:
A doctor who doesn't know the difference between a virus and an infection. This is getting better all the time.
First, he overheard the doctor on the speakerphone talking to his grandmother and now it was a conference call. Also, with all the info available online from sources like the CDC, NIH, Mayo Clinic, etc., and he's still confused and asking the family doctor. Sure, I believe you...


Something tells me he won't lose a moment of sleep worrying about whether or not some rando on a bulletin board believes him. :roll:
Probably not, but why post it in the first place?


Not everyone checks the AMA web site for reviews.

I do not at all for any reason speak for OP but I do respect the opinion of certain posters here. When I want an opinion, I throw out political leaning when asking an opinion. When we go to a city, I do research before to find things like ethnic restaurants and that hella good ensalada de repollo and bagels and local IPAs and dumpling sauce. I ask where the best (fill in the blank) is in (fill in city) on this board. Believe it or not, opinions of close friends, even online no matter political or gender or religion, matter to some of us.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:42 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
While on a routine visit, my doctor told me that she won’t be getting the vaccine and told me I shouldn’t either. It was strange because during all of this she swore up and down that she wasn’t one of those “anti-vaxx” people. I was left baffled and even more confused when I walked past her office and noticed she had a bunch of pro-Trump stuff on the walls. It was like the twilight zone that day. She also tried to talk my 87 year old grandma and 64 year old mom out of getting the vaccine. I’m at a loss and don’t know if I should start looking for a new doctor. She’s been the family physician for years and we’ve never had an issue but the vaccine rant and ghastly overdone Trump decorations really disturbed me.

Should I just let this go and continue seeing her or start looking for a new doctor?


Get a new doctor.

Every adult in mine and my wife's immediate families have been fully vaccinated.
 
jpetekyxmd80
Posts: 4330
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:16 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:18 am

This was absolutely hilarious reading all the Trumpers come in here and doubt this story when not a single thing was remotely unbelievable. Priceless.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009
 
tomaheath
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:05 am

Sounds like my type of doctor with all the Trump decorations! Kidding aside my father’s doctor said the same thing about getting a vaccine and that they had no plans on getting it.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14393
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:26 pm

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
This was absolutely hilarious reading all the Trumpers come in here and doubt this story when not a single thing was remotely unbelievable. Priceless.


Not really, I wouldn't believe it. It's pretty dumb. A doctors office whether in the open or not is not a place for any political stuff. It's the last thing people want to see when they need to see a doctor and from a Doctor's perspective in this horrible media driven hate climate he or she can be judged not by their work. Real stupid.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
This was absolutely hilarious reading all the Trumpers come in here and doubt this story when not a single thing was remotely unbelievable. Priceless.


Not really, I wouldn't believe it. It's pretty dumb. A doctors office whether in the open or not is not a place for any political stuff. It's the last thing people want to see when they need to see a doctor and from a Doctor's perspective in this horrible media driven hate climate he or she can be judged not by their work. Real stupid.


Remember all the "I will never shop at (fill in business here) because (fill in political reason here)"? Happens all the time. Rice, pancake syrup, fast food chicken, lingerie, shoes.... People are judged all the time by their political leanings and not by their quality of work.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
jordanh
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:58 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
This was absolutely hilarious reading all the Trumpers come in here and doubt this story when not a single thing was remotely unbelievable. Priceless.

Not really, I wouldn't believe it. It's pretty dumb. A doctors office whether in the open or not is not a place for any political stuff. It's the last thing people want to see when they need to see a doctor and from a Doctor's perspective in this horrible media driven hate climate he or she can be judged not by their work. Real stupid.


Believe it. People who have drunk the Trump Kool-Aid - even otherwise seemingly rational and intelligent people - seem to find no restraints on their political expressions and proselytizing. Just look at the "successful" business people who joined the insurrection on January 6th.

We can agree: it is dumb and stupid. "Dumb and Stupid" is what should appear on all those caps instead of the MAGA slogan.
 
kimimm19
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 am

Maybe she saw the new CDC data that shows that 95% of hospitalisations from COVID in the US are people who had 1 or more preexisting health conditions.

This is data from the CDC... and funny this is the third most prevalent condition of death is Anxiety. I'm not joking, look for yourselves.

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2021/21_0123.htm

So maybe that's why. Because she is actually science-based, not listening to the media.
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4916
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:40 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
Maybe she saw the new CDC data that shows that 95% of hospitalisations from COVID in the US are people who had 1 or more preexisting health conditions.

This is data from the CDC... and funny this is the third most prevalent condition of death is Anxiety. I'm not joking, look for yourselves.

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2021/21_0123.htm

So maybe that's why. Because she is actually science-based, not listening to the media.

If the doctor really based her hesitance on science, she wouldn't have suggested that a 64 yo and 87yo should skip the vaccine. Hosptilazation and death are awful, but there's also long haul COVID, which, from all accounts, is no walk in the park. Any doctor suggesting someone who is eligible and for whom vaccine isn't contraindicated isn't using a science-based approach.

This is what the CDC says re: Anxeity:
"Anxiety and fear-related disorders were a prevalent condition in our sample; they were also the second highest risk factor for death among the underlying conditions considered in our study. The reasons for this finding are likely multifactorial and may include a reduced ability to prevent infection among patients with anxiety disorders, the immunomodulatory and/or cardiovascular effects of medications used to treat these disorders, or severe COVID-19 illness exacerbating anxiety disorders (19,20). In a subset of patients with pre-COVID encounters in our study, anxiety diagnosed before COVID-19 was not independently associated with death or IMV during COVID-19 hospitalization and, therefore, it is also plausible that anxiety was diagnosed during COVID-19 illness and may be a resulting sequela of COVID-19 (21). Future studies could explore the temporal and causal associations between anxiety disorders and severe COVID-19 illness."

In other words, unlcear what role anxiety currently plays in COVID severity. There are other studies suggesting the SSRIs commonly prescirbed for anxiety may actually help ward off severe COVID. Moreover, considering how many people were dealing with COVID-induced anxiety over the last year, it's really not shocking to see it disproportionately represented among those who were hospitalized and/or died.

Edited to add: Comorbidities are often brought up as though only a small portion of the population has them. The comorbidities listed in the CDC report cover a huge swath of the US population. I'd venture a guess that a majority of the population has at least one of those conditions. Also bear in mind this report covers the time period before delta gained a foothold in the US and became the dominant variant. Delta has shown a propensity to affect younger people worse than previous strains.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
flyguy89
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:23 am

I think there's a lot more vaccine hesitancy in the medical community than people would like to admit. My mother is regrettably anti-vax (just for Covid...myself and all my siblings had all our childhood shots). She's upper-middle class...was spouting all the standard Tucker Carlson BS, some of which I was able to set her straight on, otherwise it's just the usual "we don't know the long-term effects yet" or "concerned about effects on fertility for my sisters." I told her to ask her doctor...she likes and trusts her doctor a lot. Well according to my mom, her doctor said she wasn't having her daughters vaccinated. We also have family friends in the medical community...a surgeon, a couple nurses, a doctor (all conservative, but smart enough one would think to know better) who according to her aren't getting the shot. My great-aunt's doctor (different doctor but same Midwest area of the country) recommended against the vaccine for her apparently. Anecdotal I know...and she may be selectively relaying the info to me, but there's certainly nothing I can say to her when everyone in medicine she knows apparently doesn't trust the vaccine.
 
N1120A
Posts: 26790
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:42 am

Find a new doctor immediately. Doctors that hate science are not doctors anymore.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3367
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:39 pm

I am, at this moment sitting in a room waiting for my Dr, his assistant just informed me that she doesn't care about masks because she "is so over it"..... The Dr and I are about to have a very interesting conversation.
 
tomaheath
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:13 am

jetwet1 wrote:
I am, at this moment sitting in a room waiting for my Dr, his assistant just informed me that she doesn't care about masks because she "is so over it"..... The Dr and I are about to have a very interesting conversation.

What’s the interesting conversation going to be about?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 23879
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:22 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
I am, at this moment sitting in a room waiting for my Dr, his assistant just informed me that she doesn't care about masks because she "is so over it"..... The Dr and I are about to have a very interesting conversation.


I think we are all "over" wearing masks. I have not worn one for about two weeks but I am thinking about going back to wearing one because I live in one of those areas where many people are anti-vax right wingers. I expect a surge in cases here simply because of that.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
afcjets
Posts: 3832
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: My Doctor Tried To Talk Me Out Of Getting A COVID Vaccine

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
I am, at this moment sitting in a room waiting for my Dr, his assistant just informed me that she doesn't care about masks because she "is so over it"..... The Dr and I are about to have a very interesting conversation.


I think we are all "over" wearing masks. I have not worn one for about two weeks but I am thinking about going back to wearing one because I live in one of those areas where many people are anti-vax right wingers. I expect a surge in cases here simply because of that.


I feel bad for people who had to wear masks at work all day because they deal with the public. I can barely tolerate one for a half hour (unless it's cloth but those aren't as effective.) I think everyone has a right to protect or not protect themselves, but I now hate not knowing if someone inside a store or somewhere who isn't wearing a mask is because they're vaccinated or because they're not concerned about contracting covid. I especially don't like it with curbside pickup which has been my best friend for the past year because then I feel they're entering my space and when you're parked in your car it's hard to move out of their way. Often times I roll down all my windows and walk away from my car and either make a phone call or go online and talk to them from a distance.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: art, bpatus297, casinterest, FGITD, qf789 and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos