Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
airlinenavigato
Topic Author
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:49 am

I wonder. It seems like every major news site repeats the Apple marketing speech.

Are there websites that keep the critical distance by saying for example that:
- the newest iPhone is not really needed (the iPhone 7 still gets updates)
- the lower the value of the smartphone, the lower the cost of replacing after loss and the lower the chances of theft while travelling
- the last real iPhone upgrade was from the 4S to 5 by giving a decent big screen and 4G.
- only few people really need an iPad.
- ...
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2345
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:18 am

Honestly, the only people I've seen being critical of Apple is Louis Rossmann who is a right to repair activist and YouTuber who also owns an independent Apple repair shop.

Other than that, not so much.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:27 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Honestly, the only people I've seen being critical of Apple is Louis Rossmann who is a right to repair activist and YouTuber who also owns an independent Apple repair shop.

Other than that, not so much.


A lot of Swift developers and others are critical of Apple. But everyone's also trying to get their products onto the App Store, so it's a bit of cognitive dissonance at work.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14672
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:27 am

Your arguments have nothing to do with Apple, and would apply to any company. Even in the USSR products changed from time to time.

Criticizing Apple would be to look at their claims regarding the environment, or why their devices are mostly made in Asia despite being uber expensive.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15716
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:28 am

Aesma wrote:
Your arguments have nothing to do with Apple, and would apply to any company. Even in the USSR products changed from time to time.

Criticizing Apple would be to look at their claims regarding the environment, or why their devices are mostly made in Asia despite being uber expensive.


Even better points than mine.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5693
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
I wonder. It seems like every major news site repeats the Apple marketing speech.

Are there websites that keep the critical distance by saying for example that:
- the newest iPhone is not really needed (the iPhone 7 still gets updates)
- the lower the value of the smartphone, the lower the cost of replacing after loss and the lower the chances of theft while travelling
- the last real iPhone upgrade was from the 4S to 5 by giving a decent big screen and 4G.
- only few people really need an iPad.
- ...

People or websites who post such content wouldn't have much needs to be updated very often, and thus cannot gather visitor volume over time, as a result difficult to earn money through advertisement from traffic, and wouldn't be famous due to the low volume
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1209
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 pm

Apple lost me as a customer as soon as it became apparent that they had more say as to what software I could run on my phone than I did, but charged me a premium to be able to have that reduced choice.

The "need" for Apple computers was also mostly historical for the design / pre-press / publishing markets and for many years now a decent PC has been equally/more able at a lower price point.

They have had some fantastic ideas backed up with some brilliant marketing and still produce the odd impressive piece of kit, but are mostly overpriced bits of tin no better, and often worse, than any number of other major brands.

If I thought a bit more I could probably come up with some negative points about Apple too.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 9100
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:49 pm

A modern corporation need one of two things to be successful. A solid PR budget, or a cult leader with enough following.

You won't find many dissenting opinions about these companies or figure heads. They will be quickly sanitized from the internet.

Apple used to be known for quality and intuitive user interface. It lacks both now.

I would like to ask Tim Cook, who the hell testing iOS releases.

Every new version of iOS has same set of issues like WiFi, battery drain, mail not working. Why, if previous version had these issues, testing team should make sure those are not repeated in next version.

Apple's context sensitive menu system is a crap. One day you click to click on three dots on right top corner, next day it is three lines on left bottom corner. It appears each iOS version team decides on UI and doesn't care about consistency.

Same with settings, in each version, same setting is in different menu. It is always a treasure hunt.

iOS parental control is designed and developed by people never had kids.
 
wingman
Posts: 4159
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Plenty of people are negative about Apple. Across phones, tablets, laptops and desktops they have a global marketshare of less than 10%. Don't like 'em? Join the 90%.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13844
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Why does this seem like a hit and run bash thread? A simple google search will turn up tons of negatives for apple and IOS. The devices are expensive, they have some issues in the apple store with suppliers.......... But at the end of the day, Apple is a 2 trillion dollar company for some positive business reasons. they build a quality product and support it for 5+ years with software updates and patches. Mobile phones are now entrenched in our daily lives as address books, calendars, social media, data tools, and all the like. Having the latest hardware is not as important as data integrity, privacy, and software support.


I get that Android is more open and cheaper, but at the end of the day, companies are not making bank on Android products for the most part and I do fear for the future health of the Android ecosystem on mobile phones. The only thing possibly that will save them is the fact that Chromebooks are actually a worthwhile investment for kids.
 
airlinenavigato
Topic Author
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:16 pm

c933103 wrote:
People or websites who post such content wouldn't have much needs to be updated very often, and thus cannot gather visitor volume over time, as a result difficult to earn money through advertisement from traffic, and wouldn't be famous due to the low volume


Macrumors can post many "news" every day about Apple. It should be possible to do that in a critical way like "The next iPad, despite being mostly unnecessary, is rumored to have a new processor. The new one may only be 10% faster in reality and will be slower in some years with new software updates."

Aesma wrote:
Your arguments have nothing to do with Apple, and would apply to any company.
Criticizing Apple would be to look at their claims regarding the environment, or why their devices are mostly made in Asia despite being uber expensive.


I criticize their product range and their product updates. That has something to do with them. Of course it's possible to have a critical view towards any company.
 
airlinenavigato
Topic Author
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
Why does this seem like a hit and run bash thread? A simple google search will turn up tons of negatives for apple and IOS.


I'm looking for websites that focus themself on critical posts, not for websites that usually say positives things about apple and stating one negative point every once in a while.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13844
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:28 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Why does this seem like a hit and run bash thread? A simple google search will turn up tons of negatives for apple and IOS.


I'm looking for websites that focus themself on critical posts, not for websites that usually say positives things about apple and stating one negative point every once in a while.


Do you honestly think there are people that hate the product so much that they bought one just to torture themselves so much that they will continue to post negative reviews of their experiences with it?

It's like going on a first date with a partner, and saying I really don't get along with this person, but let's stick with it to see how miserable i can be.
 
airlinenavigato
Topic Author
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:32 pm

I think those kind of website will be mostly read by the big share of people who don't have Apple products ;)
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13844
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
I think those kind of website will be mostly read by the big share of people who don't have Apple products ;)


Why? Do I go out searching out sites critical of restaurants that don't appeal to me? There isn't a lot of money in waiting for people to hate something so much they want to read negative items about it all the time.
 
airlinenavigato
Topic Author
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:40 pm

it will be relatively more read by people who don't have Apple products. Not by most of them.

Some call it hate. Others call it reality.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13844
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:30 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
it will be relatively more read by people who don't have Apple products. Not by most of them.

Some call it hate. Others call it reality.



Why ? That is what reviews are for. When people have issues with a product, they write reviews, not blogs or websites.
When people see a flaw in their product, they go to the manufacturer with a bug report or design request.


But since you seem so determined. Here is one that should satisfy you.

http://applehaters.blogspot.com/

It ran for 9 years, and became a rant against bugs/Consumer issues that needed to be resolved. Then died out.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BaconButty, bpatus297, casinterest, Dispatcher9999, DNDTUF, sbworcs, Tugger and 34 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos