Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airlinenavigato
Topic Author

Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:49 am

I wonder. It seems like every major news site repeats the Apple marketing speech.

Are there websites that keep the critical distance by saying for example that:
- the newest iPhone is not really needed (the iPhone 7 still gets updates)
- the lower the value of the smartphone, the lower the cost of replacing after loss and the lower the chances of theft while travelling
- the last real iPhone upgrade was from the 4S to 5 by giving a decent big screen and 4G.
- only few people really need an iPad.

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:18 am

Honestly, the only people I've seen being critical of Apple is Louis Rossmann who is a right to repair activist and YouTuber who also owns an independent Apple repair shop.

Other than that, not so much.

Aaron747

Re: Websites or blogs that report from a critical/negative perspective about Apple?

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:27 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Honestly, the only people I've seen being critical of Apple is Louis Rossmann who is a right to repair activist and YouTuber who also owns an independent Apple repair shop.

Other than that, not so much.

A lot of Swift developers and others are critical of Apple. But everyone's also trying to get their products onto the App Store, so it's a bit of cognitive dissonance at work.

Aesma

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:27 am

Your arguments have nothing to do with Apple, and would apply to any company. Even in the USSR products changed from time to time.

Criticizing Apple would be to look at their claims regarding the environment, or why their devices are mostly made in Asia despite being uber expensive.

Aaron747

Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:28 am

Aesma wrote:
Your arguments have nothing to do with Apple, and would apply to any company. Even in the USSR products changed from time to time.

Criticizing Apple would be to look at their claims regarding the environment, or why their devices are mostly made in Asia despite being uber expensive.

Even better points than mine.

c933103

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:07 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
I wonder. It seems like every major news site repeats the Apple marketing speech.

Are there websites that keep the critical distance by saying for example that:
- the newest iPhone is not really needed (the iPhone 7 still gets updates)
- the lower the value of the smartphone, the lower the cost of replacing after loss and the lower the chances of theft while travelling
- the last real iPhone upgrade was from the 4S to 5 by giving a decent big screen and 4G.
- only few people really need an iPad.

People or websites who post such content wouldn't have much needs to be updated very often, and thus cannot gather visitor volume over time, as a result difficult to earn money through advertisement from traffic, and wouldn't be famous due to the low volume

Virtual737

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 pm

Apple lost me as a customer as soon as it became apparent that they had more say as to what software I could run on my phone than I did, but charged me a premium to be able to have that reduced choice.

The "need" for Apple computers was also mostly historical for the design / pre-press / publishing markets and for many years now a decent PC has been equally/more able at a lower price point.

They have had some fantastic ideas backed up with some brilliant marketing and still produce the odd impressive piece of kit, but are mostly overpriced bits of tin no better, and often worse, than any number of other major brands.

If I thought a bit more I could probably come up with some negative points about Apple too.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:49 pm

A modern corporation need one of two things to be successful. A solid PR budget, or a cult leader with enough following.

You won't find many dissenting opinions about these companies or figure heads. They will be quickly sanitized from the internet.

Apple used to be known for quality and intuitive user interface. It lacks both now.

I would like to ask Tim Cook, who the hell testing iOS releases.

Every new version of iOS has same set of issues like WiFi, battery drain, mail not working. Why, if previous version had these issues, testing team should make sure those are not repeated in next version.

Apple's context sensitive menu system is a crap. One day you click to click on three dots on right top corner, next day it is three lines on left bottom corner. It appears each iOS version team decides on UI and doesn't care about consistency.

Same with settings, in each version, same setting is in different menu. It is always a treasure hunt.

iOS parental control is designed and developed by people never had kids.

wingman

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Plenty of people are negative about Apple. Across phones, tablets, laptops and desktops they have a global marketshare of less than 10%. Don't like 'em? Join the 90%.

casinterest

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:15 pm

Why does this seem like a hit and run bash thread? A simple google search will turn up tons of negatives for apple and IOS. The devices are expensive, they have some issues in the apple store with suppliers.......... But at the end of the day, Apple is a 2 trillion dollar company for some positive business reasons. they build a quality product and support it for 5+ years with software updates and patches. Mobile phones are now entrenched in our daily lives as address books, calendars, social media, data tools, and all the like. Having the latest hardware is not as important as data integrity, privacy, and software support.

I get that Android is more open and cheaper, but at the end of the day, companies are not making bank on Android products for the most part and I do fear for the future health of the Android ecosystem on mobile phones. The only thing possibly that will save them is the fact that Chromebooks are actually a worthwhile investment for kids.

airlinenavigato
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:16 pm

c933103 wrote:
People or websites who post such content wouldn't have much needs to be updated very often, and thus cannot gather visitor volume over time, as a result difficult to earn money through advertisement from traffic, and wouldn't be famous due to the low volume

Macrumors can post many "news" every day about Apple. It should be possible to do that in a critical way like "The next iPad, despite being mostly unnecessary, is rumored to have a new processor. The new one may only be 10% faster in reality and will be slower in some years with new software updates."

Aesma wrote:
Your arguments have nothing to do with Apple, and would apply to any company.

I criticize their product range and their product updates. That has something to do with them. Of course it's possible to have a critical view towards any company.

airlinenavigato
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
Why does this seem like a hit and run bash thread? A simple google search will turn up tons of negatives for apple and IOS.

I'm looking for websites that focus themself on critical posts, not for websites that usually say positives things about apple and stating one negative point every once in a while.

casinterest

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:28 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Why does this seem like a hit and run bash thread? A simple google search will turn up tons of negatives for apple and IOS.

I'm looking for websites that focus themself on critical posts, not for websites that usually say positives things about apple and stating one negative point every once in a while.

Do you honestly think there are people that hate the product so much that they bought one just to torture themselves so much that they will continue to post negative reviews of their experiences with it?

It's like going on a first date with a partner, and saying I really don't get along with this person, but let's stick with it to see how miserable i can be.

airlinenavigato
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:32 pm

I think those kind of website will be mostly read by the big share of people who don't have Apple products ;)

casinterest

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:34 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
I think those kind of website will be mostly read by the big share of people who don't have Apple products ;)

Why? Do I go out searching out sites critical of restaurants that don't appeal to me? There isn't a lot of money in waiting for people to hate something so much they want to read negative items about it all the time.

airlinenavigato
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:40 pm

it will be relatively more read by people who don't have Apple products. Not by most of them.

Some call it hate. Others call it reality.

casinterest

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:30 pm

airlinenavigato wrote:
it will be relatively more read by people who don't have Apple products. Not by most of them.

Some call it hate. Others call it reality.

Why ? That is what reviews are for. When people have issues with a product, they write reviews, not blogs or websites.
When people see a flaw in their product, they go to the manufacturer with a bug report or design request.

But since you seem so determined. Here is one that should satisfy you.

http://applehaters.blogspot.com/

It ran for 9 years, and became a rant against bugs/Consumer issues that needed to be resolved. Then died out.