Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

So much kit left behind by the US at Bagram.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:39 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57682290

I know it is not always practical to take your mess home with you but I though some of the items eye watering.
"The Americans left behind about 3.5 million items, Gen Kohistani said, including tens of thousands of bottles of water, energy drinks and military ready-made meals, known as MREs. They also left behind thousands of civilian vehicles, without keys, and hundreds of armoured vehicles"

Also at the camp is a prison with up to 5,000 Taliban prisoners left in the facility, that will certainly be a target.
Within 20 minutes of the US's departure on Friday night the electricity was shut down and the base was plunged into darkness, the AP reported - a signal to looters who smashed through barriers and ransacked the abandoned buildings. No Army response??

What a mess.

Virtual737

Re: So much kit left behind by the US at Bagram.

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:21 pm

I can't hear Bagram without remembering that 747...

johns624

Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:25 pm

The armored vehicles were probably ones especially built for A-stan/Iraq ( MRAPs etc.) and worn out and probably not needed anywhere else.

Aesma

Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:00 pm

So the local government couldn't even take over, especially the armored vehicles (and the prison) ?

The food is no issue really.

Insertnamehere

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 am

Would seem excessive to take so much stuff out of Afghanistan and not worth that hassle. The vehicles especially would be cost prohibitive to bring back to the US given the distance involved.

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:03 am

What is "kit"? Is that a US term?? This is a story about the US leaving a country, right??

Aaron747

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:06 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
What is "kit"? Is that a US term?? This is a story about the US leaving a country, right??

Perhaps you haven’t been exposed to many Brits. Kit is English slang for gear.

casinterest

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:38 am

At then end of the day, they had to appear like they were staying until they were not. Mission Non-Essentials will be left to the new occupier.

Wacker1000

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:50 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
What is "kit"? Is that a US term??

Yes except the "k" makes a "sh" sound.

wingman

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:50 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Perhaps you haven’t been exposed to many Brits. Kit is English slang for gear.

But gear is heroin over there. Our cousins make it so difficult. The worst is pronouncing schedule like SHED-yule and then pretending they're suddenly not German when they pronounce School properly. It must be all this football celebrating and those awful lagers. Anyway, I hope they didn't leave their heroin behind, the Afghans have enough of it already.

c933103

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:06 pm

Aesma wrote:
So the local government couldn't even take over, especially the armored vehicles (and the prison) ?

The food is no issue really.

A number of estimates expect Tailban to knock over local government and take over the entire country within weeks of time following US force retreating

tu204

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:32 pm

To me this proves once again that the US leadership is more incompetent than that of the USSR in it's senile years. At least when the Soviet forces pulled out Afghanistan lasted another couple years. Here the US occupying forces haven't even left an all hell has already broken lose.

Just another mess for someone else to clean up I suppose.

ltbewr

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Sadly, the costs and difficulty of overland transportation, including though hostile parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan to get to shipping ports along with the tight timeline just meant a lot of stuff had to be left behind. It won't be long before Republicans bash Biden and Democrats over this deal, although it had its start under Trump.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:28 am

tu204 wrote:
To me this proves once again that the US leadership is more incompetent than that of the USSR in it's senile years. At least when the Soviet forces pulled out Afghanistan lasted another couple years. Here the US occupying forces haven't even left an all hell has already broken lose.

Let China have a go at it. Everyone keeps telling me they're a Superpower now.

tu204

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:07 am

[twoid][/twoid]
DIRECTFLT wrote:
tu204 wrote:

They can have their shot, why not?

Every superpower in the last 200 years tried, and failed, to somehow control Afghanistan.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:11 am

tu204 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
DIRECTFLT wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Every superpower in the last 200 years tried, and failed, to somehow control Afghanistan.

Why not? Because it's not really in their interest. The main thrust behind BRI is buying unfettered access to resources and materiel, and the overland BRI routes conspicuously skip Afghanistan entirely. From the PRC's eyes, it has nothing to offer.

Pellegrine

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:08 am

I suspect the US and the Five Eyes will be quietly forever operating in Afghanistan...

scbriml

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:15 am

tu204 wrote:

Every superpower and Russia.

c933103

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:59 am

tu204 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
DIRECTFLT wrote:
tu204 wrote:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghanista ... 1625750130

Now it seems like Taliban actively seeking support from China instead of the other way round, and China apparently like this offer

johns624

Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:04 pm

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Now that's funny! :D

Drafran

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:00 pm

I hope they disabled the vehicles, even if they are past their usefulness. Oh, and the MREs were all pork products...with no labeling. :rotfl:

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:08 pm

Drafran wrote:
I hope they disabled the vehicles, even if they are past their usefulness. Oh, and the MREs were all pork products...with no labeling. :rotfl:

If the Sirius/XM subscriptions have not expired in the vehicles, then they can listen to Howard Stern.

wingman

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:50 pm

If a Jewish radio jock makes the Taliban laugh we’ll have won the war.

lightsaber

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:06 pm

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

We could go back further to Alexander the Great. Reading a translation of his history had me asking if their could be a winner.

Sad But the cost of staying there. The appetite for foreign escapades has dropped in my opinion.

Lightsaber

kalvado

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:46 pm

scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

Don't forget UK

kalvado

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 pm

lightsaber wrote:
scbriml wrote:
tu204 wrote:

We could go back further to Alexander the Great. Reading a translation of his history had me asking if their could be a winner.

Sad But the cost of staying there. The appetite for foreign escapades has dropped in my opinion.

Lightsaber

Problem of Afghanistan is that it is a source of cheap drugs. While opiate epidemic in US is often blamed on prescription drugs, it is hard to believe Afghanistan played no role in that - production skyrocketed under US control...

DL717

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:05 pm

I was at Clark in the Philippines when Pinatubo erupted. We just put all the equipment in trucks, dumped in the path of it and left. Pilots flew out the planes and that was it. Crazy few days. Millions in equipment left behind to be destroyed.

Wouldn't be surprised if they destroyed some engine blocks in Bagram and drove a skip loader over any electronic equipment to make it useless. Grab the crypto, the paper and get out.