Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

Research Indicates Four-Day Workweeks Are Win-Win

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:18 pm

Lots of buzz in HR world about research from various places indicating positive results from trials of shorter work weeks. A four year trial was conducted in Iceland with public workers doing four day weeks with no reduction in pay:

From 2015 to 2019, a trial that included office workers, hospital workers, preschools and social services, totalling 2,500 workers or more than 1 percent of the nation’s working population, shows that workers who worked 35 or 36 hours a week were better off than 40 hours a week.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... ig-success

The trial reported less burnout and more productivity in every work category.

In a country famous for low productivity, Microsoft Japan found great results in a similar trial there, with a 40% increase in productivity.

With obvious differences in work culture around the world, I wonder how one less day motivates improved productivity? Is it strictly a matter of more personal time? Is it the time pressure of needing things done a little sooner? Motivationally, it could also be the feeling of being valued more.

Many in the US work 4-10s if able to do so, and I have for several years. Having a free Wednesday is great for being able to get other things done, but it means Monday and Tuesday get particularly hectic as well.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kent350787

Re: Research Indicates Four-Day Workweeks Are Win-Win

Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 pm

I did 4dpw for 15 years across several organisations, until my new boss said no. It made life management so much easier, and I must say my engagement has declined since my change to 5dpw.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:06 am

I'm for a 5-Day work week... IF, I get a 2 Hour siesta each day.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:09 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

The need for siesta suggests your productivity may be low on 5 days ;)
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 am

35 hours is the normal work week in France since the year 2000.

Over 5 days however.

In my case I do 37 hours and get a free day a month I can use whenever I want/need.

4 days a week in Japan is a good idea since people there don't know how to stop, get to work early and leave uber late, sometimes just sleeping in a nearby hotel instead of going home, so even over 4 days they might work 60 hours.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:05 am

Aesma wrote:

Over 5 days however.

In my case I do 37 hours and get a free day a month I can use whenever I want/need.

4 days a week in Japan is a good idea since people there don't know how to stop, get to work early and leave uber late, sometimes just sleeping in a nearby hotel instead of going home, so even over 4 days they might work 60 hours.

The Japan trial was at Microsoft so not a total reflection of the situation there. In a typical Japanese company there are many reasons for overtime, but having too much to do is not always the reason. There can be social pressure to stay and ‘look busy’ until the boss goes home, though that’s mostly in older more traditional companies.

casinterest

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:26 am

I would prefer a 5 day work week with 60 days of vacation. Allow for some sickness and unexpected issues. Forced vacation of 2 weeks if you accumulate 28 days of vacation.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:48 am

casinterest wrote:
I would prefer a 5 day work week with 60 days of vacation. Allow for some sickness and unexpected issues. Forced vacation of 2 weeks if you accumulate 28 days of vacation.

60 days of vacation would turn American corporate culture upside down, wow!

Although there are a few companies out there that don’t track PTO at all.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:44 am

casinterest wrote:
I would prefer a 5 day work week with 60 days of vacation. Allow for some sickness .

I take it that means sick days have to come out of leave days?

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:24 am

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
I would prefer a 5 day work week with 60 days of vacation. Allow for some sickness .

best regards
Thomas

There is no federal law requiring any kind of sick leave. It's up to companies, and sometimes state law, as to whether sick time counts as regular paid time off or is something on its own.

tommy1808

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

best regards
Thomas

There is no federal law requiring any kind of sick leave..

yeah, i know that. But overhauling the system i would rather fix that nonsense before going to 60 days vacation. I´d rather have my 28 days + 11 holiday (some may fall on weekends) + essentially unlimited sick days (my employer only needs to pay the first 6 weeks per sickness, after that the health insurance pays up to 78 weeks) with fairly strickt limits on termination due to sickness than 60 days of vaca.

best regards
Thomas

Dutchy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:10 am

Aaron747 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

best regards
Thomas

There is no federal law requiring any kind of sick leave. It's up to companies, and sometimes state law, as to whether sick time counts as regular paid time off or is something on its own.

That is one of the things I do not get about US corporate culture. If you are sick, you are sick. That is not the fault of anyone, so why put that risk on the employee and not the employer with the backing of the state.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:22 am

Dutchy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

That is one of the things I do not get about US corporate culture. If you are sick, you are sick. That is not the fault of anyone, so why put that risk on the employee and not the employer with the backing of the state.

I used to have a greedy, absolutely penny pinching, literally losing it over Cents (i.e. charges customer 9,50 for shipping due to a light error instead of 9.74) ... and even he was smart enough to send anyone home that sneezed, coughed, had a runny nose or looked sick in any way.... because sending them home 2-3 times/year when it was necessary was far cheaper then having someone infecting co-workers for real.

best regards
Thomas

cpd

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:16 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I used to have a greedy, absolutely penny pinching, literally losing it over Cents (i.e. charges customer 9,50 for shipping due to a light error instead of 9.74) ... and even he was smart enough to send anyone home that sneezed, coughed, had a runny nose or looked sick in any way.... because sending them home 2-3 times/year when it was necessary was far cheaper then having someone infecting co-workers for real.

best regards
Thomas

That was my way too, if someone was sick I preferred that they go home and stay there until better. Don't want them infecting everyone else and I don't want to get sick either!

That was before all this COVID stuff came along. Now it's the standard procedure. Except that we've now going back to working from home full time again. We do 5 day work weeks, but sometimes we do that much time in the 5 days that we will take a day off or be required to because we've built up too much leave.

ltbewr

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:16 am

It will be interesting to see how much demands to continue to work from home post-Covid-19 may affect the idea of 4 day work weeks in many businesses. Many workers hope to not have to 'go to' work in an office at all, or only 2-3 days a week to cut out the life sucking long commutes many have to do to have affordable housing.
In some rural USA locations pre-pandemic, school districts have shifted to 4 day a work school schedules to hold down operational costs, in particular for school bus operations. That might be something to study in considering businesses go to a 4-day workweek.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:20 am

What's wrong with the Chinese 9-9-6 ?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:22 am

ltbewr wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much demands to continue to work from home post-Covid-19 may affect the idea of 4 day work weeks in many businesses. Many workers hope to not have to 'go to' work in an office at all, or only 2-3 days a week to cut out the life sucking long commutes many have to do to have affordable housing.
In some rural USA locations pre-pandemic, school districts have shifted to 4 day a work school schedules to hold down operational costs, in particular for school bus operations. That might be something to study in considering businesses go to a 4-day workweek.

According to industry commentary, HR survey firms are reporting up to 90% of corporate workers in the US prefer remaining mostly remote or at least having some kind of hybrid model in place. Hybrid will obviously be the preference of employers, as it justifies continuing to have a physical location, but with the caveat that hybrid models present their own organizational challenges.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:32 am

Aaron747 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

According to industry commentary, HR survey firms are reporting up to 90% of corporate workers in the US prefer remaining mostly remote or at least having some kind of hybrid model in place. Hybrid will obviously be the preference of employers, as it justifies continuing to have a physical location, but with the caveat that hybrid models present their own organizational challenges.

They had the same survey in the Netherlands.
15% would prefer never to go into the office
70% hybrid model
15% just go back to the office full time

Will be interesting to see what will be happening with this. For employers, it is a change to get rid of some office space (read cost) and have a happier workforce. As an employer myself, I would say, work where ever you like, but keep a connection to the co-workers and company.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 am

Dutchy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

70% hybrid model

Will be interesting to see what will be happening with this. For employers, it is a change to get rid of some office space (read cost) and have a happier workforce. As an employer myself, I would say, work where ever you like, but keep a connection to the co-workers and company.

I think we have to worry about the ones who say they 'never' want to go back to the office. :lol: Engagement is valuable, and necessary for most functions except the most independent and technical.

Dutchy

Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:12 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

70% hybrid model

I think we have to worry about the ones who say they 'never' want to go back to the office. :lol: Engagement is valuable, and necessary for most functions except the most independent and technical.

yup. a mix format will work for most. I've heard from one or two companies, not very small ones, who have a virtual office only. Can't remember the name, but even a global operating IT company. Which to me is also a very interesting experiment.

BTW we need to worry about the ones who want to be at the office all the time as well :lol:

FGITD

Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Always love these surveys. You mean to tell me people like working less?! Go figure!

That said, I think it’s a great idea. Between shorter work weeks, and a more dynamic/hybrid work space, it keeps employees more engaged. The more you can focus on life beyond work, the more motivated you are to get through your work I find.

Unfortunately for me, until a runway is built outside my house I’m stuck going in to work in the traditional style

casinterest

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

best regards
Thomas

We have some weird rules we have to go by in my company.
I usually just use sick days as leave days. (Weather is nice, time to go to beach) :) Usually, I just build them into vacation and get the approval of my boss. It is more of an HR tracking issue anyway.

I just think in the US if we did go to a 4 day workweek, it would be better to have it as flex. with 60 days( 52+8) for use as the employee sees fit.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Aaron747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

We have some weird rules we have to go by in my company.
I usually just use sick days as leave days. (Weather is nice, time to go to beach) :) Usually, I just build them into vacation and get the approval of my boss. It is more of an HR tracking issue anyway.

I just think in the US if we did go to a 4 day workweek, it would be better to have it as flex. with 60 days( 52+8) for use as the employee sees fit.

With the tools available today, companies that wanted to track would have no issues doing so under that flex scheme, and employees would love it. I think that's definitely win-win.

Kiwirob

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:17 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I start at 6.30 and finish at 14.30, somewhere in there is a 30 minute lunch break, I also work from home. I’d be happy doing that 4 days per week.

IPFreely

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:35 pm

Study seems incomplete. If 4 days is better than 5, logic says 3 is better than 4. And so on.

ER757

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:10 pm

Can't find it now, but Time Magazine had an article a couple months ago about a similar trial in Spain and the four day week was a hit with workers there as well. I've never done it but would have been happy to do so if the day off was a Monday or Friday. Anyone at our office that works four tens is on the weekend crew. I worked weekends for far too many years, so it was a no thank you when a 4 day week was available. As for remote working, was doing two days per week at home for many years and when COVID hit, it turned into full time at home. Have less than two months until retirement and I have no desire whatsoever to return to the office on a hybrid model. I haven't been asked so I haven't had to tell the boss to go fly a kite :smile:

Aesma

Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:18 pm

casinterest wrote:

That's not the same thing, though.

Here in France many companies close altogether in August, millions of people are vacationing at the same time. When you're still working, like me, nothing gets done, or much slower. So that's not an improvement for productivity. Someone I work with from another company joked during a workshop that people taking vacations in July (his colleagues that were there, and my colleagues that were there...) were in fact taking two months vacations : 1 month actual vacations, and 1 month back at the office with no work to do...

4 days a week, you would probably remove the Friday. With the 35h work week some companies already do that, or at least Friday afternoons (4,5 days).

Now that there is more work from home, things get more complicated. For now I'm back at the office and work from home on Mondays. I'm not busy so if I don't need to look busy, let's say not much gets done on that day, just answering some emails and phone calls. We're a team of 5, each one gets a different day home. If I was the boss it would be 2 days home, but one day of the week, Tuesday probably, everybody would be at the office, nobody home.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

T18

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 am

I notice the survey was not a 4-10s week like I do work or a even a 4,3 doing 11.5ish hours to get 80 hrs every 2 weeks. I really liked doing that as 4 days off every other week was really nice. Frankly the month I did have a 9-5 was not something I really enjoyed at all.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:32 am

I once took on two jobs, working 60 hours a week, 7 days a week. That didn't work. That Bible thing about taking a day off for rest... is real.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

casinterest

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 am

Aesma wrote:
casinterest wrote:

That's not the same thing, though.

Here in France many companies close altogether in August, millions of people are vacationing at the same time. When you're still working, like me, nothing gets done, or much slower. So that's not an improvement for productivity. Someone I work with from another company joked during a workshop that people taking vacations in July (his colleagues that were there, and my colleagues that were there...) were in fact taking two months vacations : 1 month actual vacations, and 1 month back at the office with no work to do...

4 days a week, you would probably remove the Friday. With the 35h work week some companies already do that, or at least Friday afternoons (4,5 days).

Now that there is more work from home, things get more complicated. For now I'm back at the office and work from home on Mondays. I'm not busy so if I don't need to look busy, let's say not much gets done on that day, just answering some emails and phone calls. We're a team of 5, each one gets a different day home. If I was the boss it would be 2 days home, but one day of the week, Tuesday probably, everybody would be at the office, nobody home.

In the US , August is Subjective. Especially in the south or in University, Mid August for me pertains a return to school. There is a lot of work to be done, but I look forward to the time that Europe is off for work. In the US , fall projects begin, and we cover the European vacations, subtract a week or so.:; In the US it is a dog eat dog world. If I am not there on a Friday, then my coworker is in prime position to replace me. Thus US workers choose Monday's over Friday's' for "bank holiday". We can recover from Jewish/Muslim days off , by being ahead at the end of the previous week.(Friday).

I think Tuesday-Thursday are good core days, but we need to keep everyone involved

Pi7472000

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:34 pm

4 day work weeks around 35 to 36 hrs. need to become the norm. We also need to advocate for 60 days of vacation per year. We should be advocating for these standards around the world. The wealthy around the world should not be the only income group to benefit from these standards.

MaverickM11

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:28 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Over 5 days however.

The Japan trial was at Microsoft so not a total reflection of the situation there. In a typical Japanese company there are many reasons for overtime, but having too much to do is not always the reason. There can be social pressure to stay and ‘look busy’ until the boss goes home, though that’s mostly in older more traditional companies.

Japan seems like there's a culture of "busy for busy's sake". I don't understand what they're accomplishing with all that time spent. The USA isn't so different, but rather than social pressure to look busy it's a culture of "hustling", especially when you ain't hustlin' s#!t. 20% less of that wouldn't affect the actual work accomplished at all :rotfl:
I don't take responsibility at all

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Over 5 days however.

Japan seems like there's a culture of "busy for busy's sake". I don't understand what they're accomplishing with all that time spent. The USA isn't so different, but rather than social pressure to look busy it's a culture of "hustling", especially when you ain't hustlin' s#!t. 20% less of that wouldn't affect the actual work accomplished at all :rotfl:

One understated reason for the low productivity in Japan is chronic sleep deprivation - Japan has the lowest average sleep of any G20 workforce.

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20 ... ce-siestas

It’s interesting that the solution offered - taking lunchtime naps - cuts into time when people should be having a decent meal. :boggled:

M564038

Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:25 pm

One thing that shocked me about Japan was that they actually had real, living people working all through the night working as (literal) traffic cones. 19 people doing what would have been a crew of 2 people + cones in any western country.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:36 pm

My employer keeps pushing to work off Fridays (I just had my first off Friday in months) and Saturdays. Then they wonder at attrition...

Not efficient, not after years. People are too burned out.

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Cadet985

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:40 pm

In my field, some agencies do a four day week. I couldn’t. Eight hours with voluntary or mandatory OT is enough.

phatfarmlines

Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:55 pm

As long as the stock market is open 5 days a week (excluding holidays), this will never catch on in the U.S. If anything, the hybrid model only further exaberates most companies trying to push for "work-life integration" or "work-life circle" or insert some euphemism that softens the desire for companies to have access to its employees 24/7.

CitizenJustin

Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:05 am

All I know is that after 5 days I’m absolutely wrecked.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 am

lightsaber wrote:
My employer keeps pushing to work off Fridays (I just had my first off Friday in months) and Saturdays. Then they wonder at attrition...

Lightsaber

The higher ups where you work clearly lack empathy. Sounds similar to the misstep reported here about Apple’s return to office policy:

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/apples ... gence.html

frmrCapCadet

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:03 pm

I thought I had read that a Monday-Friday daylight hours stock market is not the entire reality of stock trading anymore. So a question, do major international banks and other companies have 24-7 traders and monitors of the world news.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

lightsaber

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:51 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

The higher ups where you work clearly lack empathy. Sounds similar to the misstep reported here about Apple’s return to office policy:

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/apples ... gence.html

Work life balance has been the #1 complaint for 7 years. :scratchchin: To say the least, they have a surprised Picchu face at the prevalence of early retirements.

Lightsaber
10 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

seb146

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:23 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
As long as the stock market is open 5 days a week (excluding holidays), this will never catch on in the U.S. If anything, the hybrid model only further exaberates most companies trying to push for "work-life integration" or "work-life circle" or insert some euphemism that softens the desire for companies to have access to its employees 24/7.

Because the United States is heading toward a retail based economy, we do not get holidays off. Even banks are starting to give fewer and fewer holidays to their employees. Retail and food service don't give a damn about "work/life balance" they just want people to stand for hours and hours at a time in exchange for low wages and abuse.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!