Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Is a speeding ticket for going 8 MPH over harsh?

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:09 pm

This happened on I-10 in rural Texas somewhere between El Paso & San Antonio. I was going 88 and the speed limit was 80. It was during the day, the weather was clear, and there was no construction around. I did not do anything to piss the cop off, and in fact the total dialogue was very minimal. He made me get out and stand behind the car the entire time which I thought was strange. Up until yesterday I hadn't even gotten pulled over once before in the 13+ years I've had my driver's license. I know that cops can give you a ticket even if you're going 1 MPH over but how often does that actually happen? This was my first time driving through Texas, so I don't know about you but a ticket right off the bat for 8 MPH over seems harsh to me. It doesn't say how much it costs, only that I have to get in contact with a judge.

ER757

Re: Is a speeding ticket for going 8 MPH over harsh?

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:21 pm

Years ago a friend of mine who was a police officer said their policy was to start issuing citations at 7 mph over the limit. Of course I would think it varies by department, road and traffic conditions etc but I've always remembered that and as a result set my cruise control for somewhere around 3 to 5 mph over the speed limit when I am doing highway driving. Have gone past numerous state troopers at those speeds and never once have gotten pulled over.

casinterest

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:35 pm

ER757 wrote:
Years ago a friend of mine who was a police officer said their policy was to start issuing citations at 7 mph over the limit. Of course I would think it varies by department, road and traffic conditions etc but I've always remembered that and as a result set my cruise control for somewhere around 3 to 5 mph over the speed limit when I am doing highway driving. Have gone past numerous state troopers at those speeds and never once have gotten pulled over.

8 MPH always seems to be a bit fickle, especially at 80, but that is about 10% over the speed limit, and maybe that cop uses that as his min level of speeding ticket,

Either way, I would find out what the rules are, and if there are any serious points for going 88 in Texas , ( is it reckless, even if the speed limit is 80?), Then see if there are ways to do a "prayer for judgement". We have them in NC, where you basically get a pass on the points(Saves insurance costs) against the license as long as you pay the court and ticket.

seb146

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:46 pm

What license plates are on your car? From what state? Yes, there are cops out here who will be more harsh to vehicles licensed to California.

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Yeah, that is pretty harsh.

Did you have out of state plates? Cop was probably pissed all he could get you for was 8 MPH over the speed limit.

ltbewr

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:53 pm

80 MPH (128 Kmh) is the highest posted speed limits in the USA. It was likely set as most drivers were already going at that speed anyway. Then there is that if the speed limit is 80 MPH, then many are likely going 90 MPH putting many at risk of an accident. Many drivers are not really safe driving even at 60 MPH, not to say at 80 MPH, their cars may have cheap, worn or bad tires that can't take the heat, cars in poor condition and I am quite sure the cops have seen too many high speed crashes they had to deal with so may be more willing to give out tickets even for 8 MPH over. Then you have many trucks that have speed governed at 65 or so for fuel savings and safety, the difference in speeds (15 MPH) is a huge difference that is made worse by going well over 80.

fr8mech

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:57 pm

I routinely go 10 over the limit on any road up to 70 MPH, then I dial it back to 5-7 over, depending on what the flow is.

The way I see it, the faster you go, the greater potential for severe injury should even a minor…are there really any minor wrecks at that speed…wreck occur.

The Officer may have the same view…the speed limit is 80…is 88 really necessary?

lightsaber

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:00 pm

Wow, I drive in areas where even 1mph (absolute speed limits) is a ticket.

I hated my prior tickets, but I earned them. Maybe it is my current car, but I don't like driving as fast as you were. When I had a BMW with a sport suspension and racing brakes... I will neither confirm nor deny.

Lightsaber

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:00 pm

In my travels driving under the speed limit is actually even more dangerous from what I've seen.

mke717spotter
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
What license plates are on your car? From what state? Yes, there are cops out here who will be more harsh to vehicles licensed to California.

I'm from Wisconsin. I'm in the midst of a roadtrip out to San Diego and back so like I said this was my first time ever driving in Texas. In Wisconsin the highest speed limit is 70 MPH and I've never had a problem going 5-10 over.

ltbewr wrote:
80 MPH (128 Kmh) is the highest posted speed limits in the USA.

Apparently there is a stretch in Texas that is 85 MPH.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_130

lightsaber

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:06 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
In my travels driving under the speed limit is actually even more dangerous from what I've seen.

How much? 75 in an 80mph is safe. 45mph in a 65mph is not safe.

I used to drive home really late (3am). The number of fatalities I witnessed was... 5 too many. Two were speeding motorcycles. All were doing 15+mph faster than me and all found at high speed, you outrun your headlights. I drove just enough slower to give me reaction time after picking up something in the lights, but I admit not at or below the speed limit.

The slow drivers were safe as long as they kept the left lane empty.

Lightsaber

StarAC17

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:19 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
This happened on I-10 in rural Texas somewhere between El Paso & San Antonio. I was going 88 and the speed limit was 80. It was during the day, the weather was clear, and there was no construction around. I did not do anything to piss the cop off, and in fact the total dialogue was very minimal. He made me get out and stand behind the car the entire time which I thought was strange. Up until yesterday I hadn't even gotten pulled over once before in the 13+ years I've had my driver's license. I know that cops can give you a ticket even if you're going 1 MPH over but how often does that actually happen? This was my first time driving through Texas, so I don't know about you but a ticket right off the bat for 8 MPH over seems harsh to me. It doesn't say how much it costs, only that I have to get in contact with a judge.

We're you trying to go "Back to the Future" and/or driving a DeLorean. :biggrin: :biggrin: Sorry I had to with the 88mph.

Based on this I would say it was a bit harsh especially if you were driving on a sparsely populated highway and not driving any faster than other cars. If you were weaving in and out of traffic its a fair ticket.

wingman

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:25 pm

I set my cc at 8 over in Oregon and 10 over in California. I’m usually in the middle of the left lane pack in Oregon but California drivers routinely travel in herds at 15 over. On my trip down this week i was amazed yet again at how many jackwagons stay locked in the left lane at precisely the speed limit. They should be tasered.

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:30 pm

lightsaber wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

How much? 75 in an 80mph is safe. 45mph in a 65mph is not safe.

I used to drive home really late (3am). The number of fatalities I witnessed was... 5 too many. Two were speeding motorcycles. All were doing 15+mph faster than me and all found at high speed, you outrun your headlights. I drove just enough slower to give me reaction time after picking up something in the lights, but I admit not at or below the speed limit.

The slow drivers were safe as long as they kept the left lane empty.

Lightsaber

A good 10-15 mph under the limit, in the left lane.

WildcatYXU

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:31 pm

ltbewr wrote:
80 MPH (128 Kmh) is the highest posted speed limits in the USA. It was likely set as most drivers were already going at that speed anyway. Then there is that if the speed limit is 80 MPH, then many are likely going 90 MPH putting many at risk of an accident. Many drivers are not really safe driving even at 60 MPH, not to say at 80 MPH, their cars may have cheap, worn or bad tires that can't take the heat, cars in poor condition and I am quite sure the cops have seen too many high speed crashes they had to deal with so may be more willing to give out tickets even for 8 MPH over. Then you have many trucks that have speed governed at 65 or so for fuel savings and safety, the difference in speeds (15 MPH) is a huge difference that is made worse by going well over 80.

Hey, I'll tell you secret. Nothing that's installed on a car stops working at 90 mph. Everything works just as well as it does at lower speed. Pay attention to what you do, drive according to road conditions and you're not putting anybody at risk.

Also, I don't understand that fear of speed difference between cars and trucks. Many trucks in Europe are governed at 90km/h, yet the speed limit in many countries is 130km/h and the police is usually willing to tolerate extra 10. That's a 40km/h (25mph) or 50km/h (31mph) difference and the world is not ending.

Having a speed limit on a highway in the middle of nowhere rural Texas is just pure cash grab. Albeit it is probably not as bad as the I95 between Harford and Cecil counties in Maryland. The amount of cops and cars pulled over I've seen there in 2 months of commuting between Aberdeen and Port Deposit was just amusing. Never seen anything like this in my life.

lightsaber wrote:

From metrology standpoint this is pure nonsense. How can that be legal?
Last edited by WildcatYXU on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vikkyvik

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:32 pm

mke717spotter wrote:

I would agree that 8 MPH over is very harsh...if the speed limit is 70 or below.

Once I hit speed limits of 75 or 80, then I still tend to keep my speed at a max of about 83. It's sort of a weird thing that I'm more conscious of my speed as the speed limit increases.

My own experience and view (from driving in MA and CA) is as follows:

Speed Limit - Fast Lane Traffic Speed
55 - 80
65 - 80-85
75 - 80-85
80 - 80-85

It also seems that people drive about 5 mph slower (on average) out in the boonies than they do in the vicinity of cities.

So anyway, I'm not really surprised you got a ticket for 88 in an 80.

slider

Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 pm

My brother in law is a sheriffs Lt. in FL and generally says setting at 9 mph over is the "commonly accepted" margin. Not a rule, mind you, but generally safe.

8 over in West Texas is ticky tack AF, man.

ER757

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:17 pm

wingman wrote:
I set my cc at 8 over in Oregon and 10 over in California. I’m usually in the middle of the left lane pack in Oregon but California drivers routinely travel in herds at 15 over. On my trip down this week i was amazed yet again at how many jackwagons stay locked in the left lane at precisely the speed limit. They should be tasered.

:checkmark: - Agreed, nothing more aggravating than driving the open road and have cars going at or BELOW the speed limit in the left lane. In moderate to heavy traffic, sure - but not out in the boonies between metro areas. GTFO of the left lane if you want to drive that speed!

Dutchy

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:29 pm

mke717spotter wrote:

The limit is the limit, driving over it brings with it the risk of getting a ticket. That is not harsh, that's a consequence ;)

Anyhow, most tickets in the Netherlands are issued by automatic speed cameras, with corrections, you will be driving around 5%/6% more than the speed limit before a ticket is issued, especially taking into account what your speedometer says, that one will always be set a little to the high side. Actually getting pulled over is another story. If you are not driving like crazy - not doing anything wrong except speeding a bit, and the traffic is light, then you might get a ticket when doing 120 in a 100km/h zone, or 140/145km/h in a 120km/h zone. That is the discretion the officer has. So what you describe will hardly be an offence to get you pulled over in Holland.

Aesma

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:46 pm

Apparently in the US you have an app you can use to "fight the ticket" so maybe do that.

Last year I commuted for two weeks on urban highways to "La Défense", Paris' business district, and on that 25Km commute there are something like 15 speed cameras, including 6 in a tunnel you pay handsomely to use as it cuts through tons of traffic, let's just say that speeding isn't worth it ! In fact if you drive that at 5-6Km/h over the entire time, you have lost your license...

Cops here won't usually care about 10% over the speed limit, as you're likely to get caught by a speed camera anyway, they'll go after people driving way over the limit.

seb146

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:47 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

From metrology standpoint this is pure nonsense. How can that be legal?

In the States, it is usually in a school zone or a federal highway going through the middle of a town.

LittleFokker

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:51 pm

mke717spotter wrote:

Back in college in the early 2000s, I made the drive between San Antonio and Las Vegas quite a few times. One occasion, it was early on a Thursday morning, and I was about 100 miles outside San Antonio on I-10. The speed limit back then was 70 and I got pulled over for doing 74. Officer merely gave me a warning, but that was a pretty absurd situation. Must have been absolutely nothing going on that time of day.

NIKV69

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:13 pm

I have driven every Interstate in TX and yes that is harsh. I got pulled over twice, for same thing but they were looking for drugs and to Sebs point NY plates always catches their attention. I was nice both times and no ticket was issued. I think once I had pop the trunk for a quick look. In the end it's always the mood of the officer etc.

Jalap

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The limit is the limit, driving over it brings with it the risk of getting a ticket. That is not harsh, that's a consequence ;)

Exactly. And no matter how much you disagree with the limit, it's not the limit's fault one got a ticket.

Nowadays there's a lot of trajectory control in Belgium. Automated system that calculates your average speed over a certain distance, often several kilometers. I'm a huge fan of this system. Not only because it's more fair (only picks up the ones at constant overspeed, not the ones briefly speeding), also because it really helps getting people to not speed. On those tracks, everybody knows you're being checked and everybody tops out at 120km/h. This makes the flow of traffic far less turbulent and much safer. A very good system for our always busy highways.

(I must add, when I'm on the 3rd lane overtaking traffic and see somebody coming fast in my mirror, I'll very happily make way for that car to make sure his/her average speed doesn't drop too much)

Kent350787

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:42 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
[
My own experience and view (from driving in MA and CA) is as follows:

Speed Limit - Fast Lane Traffic Speed
55 - 80
65 - 80-85
75 - 80-85
80 - 80-85

Haha - it's been my expereince in the sevaral states in New England I've driven in as well. I've only really seen people pulled over travelling well over 80. Where I come from 70mph is the national limit and much over that you're seen as a baby killer. In at least one state, 1kmh (not mph) over can get you a ticket.

I haven't driven in TX, but did a haul from Savannah GA to NOLA early last year, and was sittgin around 80mph most of the time on interstates and state highways (black Chev sedan on NY plates))

dtw2hyd

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 pm

Ticket for 8 miles over 80 with no prior traffic infractions is harsh. Is the ticket for 8 miles over or something less?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:53 pm

Two days, doing 15-18mph over the limit on I-90 in Massachusetts, rolling along with most traffic, I was passed by a State Trooper, no lights, cruising, doing, at least, 90. I was given a warning a few years ago for 54 in a 40, very rural, empty road. 8 over is harsh.

Drafran

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:01 am

I've been ticketed doing seven mph over the speed limit. A lawyer got it down to a seatbelt violation. Yes, his fee was steep, but cheaper than a fine and the increase in my insurance premium for two years, which was the time it would have taken for the violation to drop from my driving record.

Zeppi

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:22 am

Well yes, if the limit is 80 and you go over that of course you can get a ticked, else what would be the point of the limit or any other rules for that matter, if they were all "flexible"?

ltbewr wrote:
the difference in speeds (15 MPH) is a huge difference

Are you being serious? - Signed: Germany
Here trucks are limited to 80km/h, yet we drive past them at up to 300km/h, it actually seems like they are parked then.
And no, this is not dangerous because there are things (almost) everyone sticks to very strictly: Lane discipline, safety distances, mutually taking care of each other. It does show in road death numbers per capita too: https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cau ... y-country/

I have driven in the US a lot in multiple states too and must say that I find it a lot more stressful to drive at 70MPH in the US than driving 200MPH on the autobahn. In the US the roads are mostly in a dire condition and everyone is just randomly going all over the place, the principle of lane discipline doesn't even exist.

stl07

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:39 am

seb146 wrote:

Huh, did not know this. I've never had an issue with CA plates, but then again I also never have gotten a speeding ticket

Virtual737

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:42 am

Most speedometers are out by a few percent. In the UK it is illegal for a speedometer to read lower than the speed you are actually travelling, so if you were ticketed at 88 MPH then there is a good chance your speedometer was reading more.

10% over the limit is right on the edge. More often than not, most police that I know will wait for someone going faster as they are plentiful, but 10% over is a fair cop I'm afraid.

scbriml

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:07 am

Zeppi wrote:
everyone is just randomly going all over the place, the principle of lane discipline doesn't even exist

This is the thing that never fails to shock me whenever I drive in America, and I've driven there a lot.

Reinhardt

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 am

Zeppi wrote:
things (almost) everyone sticks to very strictly: Lane discipline, safety distances, mutually taking care of each other.

Lane disipline on Autobahn's I'll agree with. Generally Germans are very good at that, certainly a million times better than the UK where people's motorway driving skills have over the last 15 years just turned into a joke.

I suppose generally German's are ok with safety distances but I wouldn't say that much better than anyone else in Northern Europe. Belgiums are clearly the worst. However when it rains heavily on the autobahns (which are generally appaling at dispersing water) it never ceases to amaze me how little people care. You'll still have people driving right up to your boot doing 180-200 when you can't see 200m ahead. It's just outright dangerous. Add in night time with no cats eyes either, it's almost scary at times.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:30 am

Zeppi wrote:
I have driven in the US a lot in multiple states too and must say that I find it a lot more stressful to drive at 70MPH in the US than driving 200MPH on the autobahn. In the US the roads are mostly in a dire condition and everyone is just randomly going all over the place, the principle of lane discipline doesn't even exist.

In Michigan +5 is unofficial(not legal, not written anywhere) norm +10 is acceptable(not legal). If you strictly follow legal speed limit you actually block the traffic flow, bunch of drivers have to change lanes.

If everybody going 80 in 70 generally they slowdown where cop is. Cops are looking for the one weaving through the lanes. So speed by itself doesn't draw attention but improper lane change definitely does.

People are driving even crazier now on highways. Road rage and highway shooting incidents are increasing. I guess COVID-19 effect.

Not defending the OP, but generally cops give a verbal warning after checking the record for first time offenders.

Dutchy

Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:26 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Zeppi wrote:
things (almost) everyone sticks to very strictly: Lane discipline, safety distances, mutually taking care of each other.

Lane disipline on Autobahn's I'll agree with. Generally Germans are very good at that, certainly a million times better than the UK where people's motorway driving skills have over the last 15 years just turned into a joke.

I suppose generally German's are ok with safety distances but I wouldn't say that much better than anyone else in Northern Europe. Belgiums are clearly the worst. However when it rains heavily on the autobahns (which are generally appaling at dispersing water) it never ceases to amaze me how little people care. You'll still have people driving right up to your boot doing 180-200 when you can't see 200m ahead. It's just outright dangerous. Add in night time with no cats eyes either, it's almost scary at times.

In general, EU roads are quite safe, although there is always room for improvement, of course.

Road deaths per million inhabitants:
Germany: 45 (2010), 37 (2019), 33 (2020)
EU-27: 67 (2010), 51 (2019), 42 (2020)
Netherlands: 32 (2010), 34 (2019), 31 (2020)
USA: 110 (2019)

EU statistics

US statistics

fr8mech

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:33 pm

Aesma wrote:
Cops here won't usually care about 10% over the speed limit, as you're likely to get caught by a speed camera anyway, they'll go after people driving way over the limit.

I had this discussion with my daughter when she was learning to drive. She said her friends told her 10% was ok…that an officer wouldn’t pull you over for that.

I pointed out that if we used the 10% limit that meant if the limit is:

35mph, then 38.5mph is ok,
45mph, then 49.5mph is ok,
55mpg, then 60.5mph is ok

At no point would going 10mph over the limit be considered ok…using the 10% “rule”.

She has inherited her mother’s lead foot. She drives much faster than the 10% limit she says is ok.

I’ve heard “eight is ok, nine you’re mine”. Ive heard “go with the flow of traffic”. Ive heard “10 over is ok”. I’ve heard all kinds of silliness.

In the end, what the officer allows is strictly up to the discretion of the officer.

As I’ve indicated, I typically limit myself to 10mph over on any road that has a 35mph limit, up to a 70mph limit. Then I’ll go 5-8mph over depending on conditions.

Ive never gotten a speeding ticket, nor have I been pulled over for speeding. Other moving violations? Yes.

casinterest

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:51 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I had this discussion with my daughter when she was learning to drive. She said her friends told her 10% was ok…that an officer wouldn’t pull you over for that.

I pointed out that if we used the 10% limit that meant if the limit is:

35mph, then 38.5mph is ok,
45mph, then 49.5mph is ok,
55mpg, then 60.5mph is ok

At no point would going 10mph over the limit be considered ok…using the 10% “rule”.

She has inherited her mother’s lead foot. She drives much faster than the 10% limit she says is ok.

I’ve heard “eight is ok, nine you’re mine”. Ive heard “go with the flow of traffic”. Ive heard “10 over is ok”. I’ve heard all kinds of silliness.

In the end, what the officer allows is strictly up to the discretion of the officer.

As I’ve indicated, I typically limit myself to 10mph over on any road that has a 35mph limit, up to a 70mph limit. Then I’ll go 5-8mph over depending on conditions.

Ive never gotten a speeding ticket, nor have I been pulled over for speeding. Other moving violations? Yes.

Nothing is foolproof. The limit is X. X+abs(Y) can get you a ticket anywhere depending on what the current enforcement is.

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Two days, doing 15-18mph over the limit on I-90 in Massachusetts, rolling along with most traffic, I was passed by a State Trooper, no lights, cruising, doing, at least, 90. I was given a warning a few years ago for 54 in a 40, very rural, empty road. 8 over is harsh.

That's very typical in MA. Can't tell you the number of times I've been in the left lane, doing 75-80 (with traffic, not holding up the lane), and suddenly see a State Trooper right behind me, no lights or siren. So I move over one lane at the next opportunity, and he speeds right on by me.

It's always a bit unnerving to have the police sneak up on you like that, but also hilarious that they just want to pass you.

casinterest

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:16 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

That's very typical in MA. Can't tell you the number of times I've been in the left lane, doing 75-80 (with traffic, not holding up the lane), and suddenly see a State Trooper right behind me, no lights or siren. So I move over one lane at the next opportunity, and he speeds right on by me.

It's always a bit unnerving to have the police sneak up on you like that, but also hilarious that they just want to pass you.

Once upon a time . I was on the Florida Turnpike doing about 80, and got passed by a trooper doing 140+. I never saw him until he passed me. No lights, or anything. I was on that rural stretch between Orlando and Port St Lucie at the time, and it was quiet with little traffic. I think it was just him and me for about 5 miles. For him that 5 miles was over in under 2 minutes.

seb146

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:39 pm

stl07 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Huh, did not know this. I've never had an issue with CA plates, but then again I also never have gotten a speeding ticket

It is not a hard and fast rule they follow. I have seen more California marked autos pulled over than autos from other states. Oregon has always had a hatred of Californians. I am not sure why. I have heard reasons but none make sense.

WildcatYXU

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:50 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Aesma wrote:

This is something I see a lot. And I don't understand it. Would you mind to explain?

A road with a 35 mpg limit would generally be road within city limits. Cyclists, pedestrians present. Driveways are there also, so intrusions are to be expected. OTOH a road with a 70 mph limit will be a limited access road. A road built for speed. No peds, no cyclists, no driveways. Only cars and trucks driving in one direction. So why is it OK to drive 10 mph over the limit in a 35 zone (+28.5%) but only 5 mph (+7%) over the limit on an expressway?

FlyEndeavorAir

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:38 pm

I thought speed limits were meant for roads where you would find "obstacles" like driveways, pedestrians, bikers, lots of crossing points etc, not freeways. I think that's just a cash grab.

I know I personally check my speed and even go slower sometimes when I'm on a busy city street or residential street vs the highway where I floor it.

fr8mech

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:10 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:

This is something I see a lot. And I don't understand it. Would you mind to explain?

A road with a 35 mpg limit would generally be road within city limits. Cyclists, pedestrians present. Driveways are there also, so intrusions are to be expected. OTOH a road with a 70 mph limit will be a limited access road. A road built for speed. No peds, no cyclists, no driveways. Only cars and trucks driving in one direction. So why is it OK to drive 10 mph over the limit in a 35 zone (+28.5%) but only 5 mph (+7%) over the limit on an expressway?

Sure.

Around here, the residential streets are 25 or 30, there are a couple of places where the limit is 20.

To get into the 35-45mph range, the streets tend to be divided* highways. While they can be residential, more often than not, these are commercial type streets or the residences are set well back off the road. They tend to be well marked and controlled.

As we move away from the city, the limit tends to increase, up to 55mph, while the roads tend to narrow to single or double lane divided highways, or even single with a turn lane.

Of course, I limit my speed based on conditions. Crosstown roads in downtown Louisville may be 35mph, but due traffic, both foot and vehicular, I rarely even approach 45mph.

*I use the state legal definition of highway here. It means any road, including residential streets, in Kentucky. The divided part refers to anything from painted lines to physical barriers.

The reason I limit my speed at the higher interstate speeds is reaction time. You have more time to react to something at 78mph than at 85mph.

I just feel more comfortable.

EstherLouise

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm

In the past 20 years, I've never been stopped for driving 78 on a 70 mph interstate highway. Cruise control is set at 78 and I just cruise. Right by the cops in the medians and on the entrance ramps. I even pass them at 78 mph if they're in the next lane going slower. Never been stopped.

dfwjim1

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:21 pm

I lived in North Texas for a number of years and found that the local and state police were very strict about enforcing speeding laws.

Now living in South Florida where speeding laws are not enforced unless one is really moving.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:52 am

They have quotas to make, Years ago, I had to do drive along once a month for my job, and when it fell on the last day of the month and the person I was driving with hadn't gotten their monthly quota that's all they did all day long, pulling people over for going 4 miles over the speed limit. I actually felt sorry for those pulled over, most of them were pissed. That's what happens when they procrastinate.

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:56 am

seb146 wrote:
actually, it's any out of state license plate not just California

vrbarreto

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 pm

In the UK, enforcement usually starts at 10% + 2 mph over the speed limit. So in a 30, you'd get done for doing 37 and on the motorway you'd be done for going at 79mph.

Here in Slovakia the police will stop you if you're 1kmph over the limit.. They'll ask for €20 for that speed. For higher speeds there is room for negotiation.. As Speedo's usually overread I suppose 41 kmph maybe 42 or 43 indicated on the speedometer.

Also some of the motorways are terrible.. The stretch between Nitra and Trnava towards Trnava has nice deep grooves matching the average distance between car tyres in it where water collects when it rain heavily..

CaptHadley

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:02 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
They have quotas to make, Years ago, I had to do drive along once a month for my job, and when it fell on the last day of the month and the person I was driving with hadn't gotten their monthly quota that's all they did all day long, pulling people over for going 4 miles over the speed limit. I actually felt sorry for those pulled over, most of them were pissed. That's what happens when they procrastinate.

Having a relative in law enforcement, this is the biggest myth out there. There is absolutely no truth to the "quota" conspiracy scenario.

WildcatYXU

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:41 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
Here in Slovakia the police will stop you if you're 1kmph over the limit.. They'll ask for €20 for that speed.

If they do, they violate the law. The fines in Slovakia aren't up to the police officers. There is a set range of fines. This table is if force since April 1, 2020 and valid for 2021.

Overspeed Fine
Within city limits Rural area
Up to 6 km/h Up to 6 km/h Warning
7 to 10 km/h 7 to 15 km/h 10-30 €
11 to 15 km/h 16 to 25 km/h 35-40 €
16 to 20 km/h 26 to 30 km/h 45-50 €
21 to 25 km/h 31 to 35 km/h 100-150 €
26 to 30 km/h 36 to 40 km/h 180-220 €
31 to 35 km/h 41 to 45 km/h 250-280 €
36 to 40 km/h 46 to 50 km/h 300-330 €
41 to 45 km/h 51 to 55 km/h 350-370 €
46 to 50 km/h 56 to 60 km/h 380-400 €
51 to 55 km/h 61 to 65 km/h 500-600 €
56 to 60 km/h 66 to 70 km/h 650-750 €
Over 60 km/h Over 70 km/h 800 €

Do you speak Slovak? Perhaps they will mess with you because they think you're a tourist. And as far as the road quality is concerned, I'd say there is something worse than the motorway quality in western Slovakia: The lack of thereof in the east.