Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747

Re: Texas House Republicans vote to track down absent Democrats and arrest them if necessary

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:14 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
If I used my benefits at my job to fly around while I was supposed to be at work, I would be fired.

Why do politicians get a pass?

Pretty illogical analogue - by protecting women in the state from vindictive and overly harsh regulation, they *are* doing their job.

alfa164

Re: Texas House Republicans vote to track down absent Democrats and arrest them if necessary

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:45 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
If I used my benefits at my job to fly around while I was supposed to be at work, I would be fired. Why do politicians get a pass?

If they were "flying around", you might have a point. Instead, they are in Washington, showing first-hand why Congress needs to pass measures to shut-down these on-going voter suppression efforts, and appealing to their representatives on behalf of their constituents in order to protect those voters. The people who are wasting the "benefits" of their jobs are those who thought calling a costly, unnecessary "Special Session" of the Texas Lege in order to perpetrate a plan to keep themselves in office by denying the will of many of the voters of Texas.

That means Abbott and his merry band of cronies and sycophants.

:roll:

chimborazo

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:50 am

Virtual737 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:

There are millions of people who have no right to vote.why is 30 miles so hard? Some people walk half that every day to get water. Why is it always the governments’s fault and not the voter? I’m not saying I agree with the rules… but they are there. Or will be… make an effort to vote. If you don’t like the policy: vote it out.

If the majority accept the conditions then they are accepted. Make an effort. Vote it out. If people can’t make the effort then the “unfair” voting situation will continue.

I'm just trying to understand the point you're trying to make here.

Some people walk 15 miles a day to get water (in Africa, to get a basic substance that keeps them alive, for example?) so why don't Americans put the same effort into voting?

...and, if they are complaining about their difficulty in voting, why don't they vote against it? I'm not sure where to start with that one.

I was replying to the (poster-admitted) exaggeration of a situation with all the difficulties of having to go get voter ID and visit a polling station 30 miles away.

The point I am making is: GOP are making it harder for some to vote (this will include lots of white people). It is then noted in multiple posts that this makes it harder for blacks to vote because of XYZ. Well… what are that community (including the more affluent part of it) doing to change that? How will they help get those people vote? Answer: they won’t. They will complain about nasty party this and that but DO nothing to change it. Same as those affected won’t vote so the cycle continues. At some point you have to stop blaming everyone else and do something difficult. If more people did this instead of just accepting the ride then life would be better for everyone. Get together and get themselves organised… rent a van so they can all go vote. Find reasons and ways to DO instead of excuses to not.

Have you guys who think this is really bad ever considered that in a democracy the winner of an election gets to set the rules - whether you as an individual likes the rules or not? Change the rule makers to change the rules.

How many people who live in very easy reach of a voting place just can’t be bothered to vote “no point in voting, it won’t change anything”? I know of people like this (here in UK where it’s really easy to vote as long as you can be bothered to write a few words on the letter with pre-payed return envelope that comes through the door to register and lots and lots of poll stations).

Kent350787

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:51 am

chimborazo wrote:
Have you guys who think this is really bad ever considered that in a democracy the winner of an election gets to set the rules - whether you as an individual likes the rules or not? Change the rule makers to change the rules..

This is mostly the case int eh USA, and is of otself anti-democratic, as it entrenches what ought to fleeting poltical dominance. Most other developed nations have independent electoral bodies (mine has at both state a federal level) and major change must be bipartisan.

alfa164

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:31 pm

chimborazo wrote:
The point I am making is: GOP are making it harder for some to vote (this will include lots of white people). It is then noted in multiple posts that this makes it harder for blacks to vote because of XYZ. Well… what are that community (including the more affluent part of it) doing to change that? How will they help get those people vote? Answer: they won’t. They will complain about nasty party this and that but DO nothing to change it.

That is simply not true. In this case in Texas, voters in Harris County (Houston) took advantage of being able to vote more easily, and elected a full slate of Democrats to the judiciary there. The fact that the community was voting to change things is what has the old-time office-holders crapping in their pants, and they don't want those voters to get the same opportunity when it comes to their next election.

Indeed, it is patently clear to almost all of us Texans - whether we support him or not - that every action he has taken is an attempt to bolster his position and standing with his far right base.

chimborazo wrote:
Have you guys who think this is really bad ever considered that in a democracy the winner of an election gets to set the rules - whether you as an individual likes the rules or not? Change the rule makers to change the rules.

The problem occurs when the "winners" decide that an open democracy isn't such a good thing for them, and try to rewrite the rules to guarantee their ability to stay in power by denying voters who might oppose them an equal chance to vote. When voters are held back from voting, it becomes impossible for them to "change the rule makers".

seb146

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:07 pm

chimborazo wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:

There are millions of people who have no right to vote.why is 30 miles so hard? Some people walk half that every day to get water. Why is it always the governments’s fault and not the voter? I’m not saying I agree with the rules… but they are there. Or will be… make an effort to vote. If you don’t like the policy: vote it out.

If the majority accept the conditions then they are accepted. Make an effort. Vote it out. If people can’t make the effort then the “unfair” voting situation will continue.

Some people walk 15 miles a day to get water (in Africa, to get a basic substance that keeps them alive, for example?) so why don't Americans put the same effort into voting?

...and, if they are complaining about their difficulty in voting, why don't they vote against it? I'm not sure where to start with that one.

I was replying to the (poster-admitted) exaggeration of a situation with all the difficulties of having to go get voter ID and visit a polling station 30 miles away.

The point I am making is: GOP are making it harder for some to vote (this will include lots of white people). It is then noted in multiple posts that this makes it harder for blacks to vote because of XYZ. Well… what are that community (including the more affluent part of it) doing to change that? How will they help get those people vote? Answer: they won’t. They will complain about nasty party this and that but DO nothing to change it. Same as those affected won’t vote so the cycle continues. At some point you have to stop blaming everyone else and do something difficult. If more people did this instead of just accepting the ride then life would be better for everyone. Get together and get themselves organised… rent a van so they can all go vote. Find reasons and ways to DO instead of excuses to not.

How many people who live in very easy reach of a voting place just can’t be bothered to vote “no point in voting, it won’t change anything”? I know of people like this (here in UK where it’s really easy to vote as long as you can be bothered to write a few words on the letter with pre-payed return envelope that comes through the door to register and lots and lots of poll stations).

That is the whole reason Texas Republicans and Republicans around the country are trying to pass restrictive voting laws: to keep minorities from voting. If minorities see how hard it is to even register, they won't bother and won't be eligible to vote. There was a group that tried to register legal Americans to vote. They were called ACORN. Go read about the Republican back lash to registering minorities to vote. ACORN did not actually cast any ballots at all but, rather, had people fill out voter registration cards and send those cards to the county election officials for verification. But, Republicans wouldn't stand for it.

Even if minorities get the state mandated identification, Republicans will find a way to keep minorities from voting. They always do. Republicans hate democracy.

stratosphere

Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:32 pm

seb146 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

That is the whole reason Texas Republicans and Republicans around the country are trying to pass restrictive voting laws: to keep minorities from voting. If minorities see how hard it is to even register, they won't bother and won't be eligible to vote. There was a group that tried to register legal Americans to vote. They were called ACORN. Go read about the Republican back lash to registering minorities to vote. ACORN did not actually cast any ballots at all but, rather, had people fill out voter registration cards and send those cards to the county election officials for verification. But, Republicans wouldn't stand for it.

Even if minorities get the state mandated identification, Republicans will find a way to keep minorities from voting. They always do. Republicans hate democracy.

You know if I was a minority I would be pretty offended that the Democrats keep playing on them that they can't do anything like get an ID or vote during times when it's fine for everyone else. Just tell me what exactly is racist about any of the proposals in the TX bill. Biden's home state of Delaware is more restrictive. These rules were fine pre covid then a bunch of rules changed to accommodate the virus. Things are different now. I don't think waiting in line for 6 hrs is ok but voter integrity and standards I am all for and especially an ID if you can't provide proof of who you are you do not need to vote I dont care if it is a right just like gun buying.

PixelPilot

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:32 am

Are you allowed to drive a car without DL? Nope.
Can you get food assistance without ID? Nope
Can you get child assistance without ID? Nope.
Can you buy a cellphone without ID? Nope
Can you travel outside of the country without a passport? Nope.
Can you get a payment plan without ID? Nope.
Can you open a bank account without ID? Nope.
Can you be denied alcohol or cigarettes and asked for ID? Yep.
So why having ID to vote (apparently it would be free to obtain) to make sure the process is as legitimate as possible (it should be in the interest of EVERYBODY don't you think?) is a nightmare on elm street for some people?
Last edited by PixelPilot on Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelPilot

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:35 am

seb146 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:

You sound like you genuinely believe that minorities are handicapped by design and it will be "too hard" for them to register.
That's racist.

Also would you mind pointing specifically to the parts of that bill that you believe will cause all the impossible to pass hurdles?
Last edited by PixelPilot on Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

casinterest

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:46 am

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:

You know if I was a minority I would be pretty offended that the Democrats keep playing on them that they can't do anything like get an ID or vote during times when it's fine for everyone else. Just tell me what exactly is racist about any of the proposals in the TX bill. Biden's home state of Delaware is more restrictive. These rules were fine pre covid then a bunch of rules changed to accommodate the virus. Things are different now. I don't think waiting in line for 6 hrs is ok but voter integrity and standards I am all for and especially an ID if you can't provide proof of who you are you do not need to vote I dont care if it is a right just like gun buying.

You are all for integrity. but you are rallying for laws with no reason to exist except to discourage voting. And you use a racist tropism, of "If I were a minority".

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/08 ... l-session/
Read through these bills and give me a reason why a Ban on Drive thru voting, where Photo ID was required, was banned? Do the Republicans have something against the elderly or disabled? We have it in NC , and it is a resounding success.

Why do they want to allow Partisan poll watchers access within a polling place? They will advocate and interfere with elections.

At the end of the day, Texas is protecting nothing, and the cost is democracy and the will of the people.
Why do they want to ban sending out forms that allow people to request a mail in ballot? That is not about expanding elections.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:52 am

PixelPilot wrote:
So why having ID to vote (apparently it would be free to obtain) to make sure the process is as legitimate as possible (it should be in the interest of EVERYBODY don't you think?) is a nightmare on elm street for some people?

One key difference: voting is a fundamental right. None of the other points you mention are basic constitutional rights.

Most states ask for some form of ID when showing up to vote. If one doesn’t have a DL, some other evidence you live where you say can suffice, like a current utility bill or paycheck.

LMP737

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:13 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
The Voting Laws that Texas will be enacting, and it's going to happen, no matter how much they rail against it out of state, and on The View, will not prevent any legal voter from voting.

The law will restrict counties from coming up with their own "rules" for voting. They are trying to make the voting rules the same across the state, so that all Texas citizens have the same opportunity to vote.

The Poll tax is gone. Get over it!!! Seeing secret oppression of others EVERYWHERE must be a tiring life.

Texas voting rules are more liberal than the voting rules of Biden's home state. But......... :?

Stop pretending that these laws have anything to do with something other than who won the 2020 presidential race. If Trump had won none of these laws would ever have been enacted because it would have been the result they wanted. Why change the laws if you your guy won? Only a fool would think otherwise.

LMP737

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:20 am

PixelPilot wrote:

Well, then I guess we should outlaw ALL absentee voting. After all, how can you be 100% certain if the person sending in the absentee ballot is the person listed on said ballot?

Going to be out of your home state or the country on election day, too bad. Going to be hospitalized on election day, too bad. Serving your country, too bad.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:51 am

Greg Abbott Says Republicans Are In ‘No Mood For Additional Compromise’ Over Voting Bill

In an interview with the Standard, the governor says he’ll call “special session after special session” until the Republican-backed legislation passes.

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/e ... ting-bill/

They'll be no compromise on these bills. Votes will be taken, eventually. But no backing down. We're serious as a Heart Attack.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:58 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Greg Abbott Says Republicans Are In ‘No Mood For Additional Compromise’ Over Voting Bill

In an interview with the Standard, the governor says he’ll call “special session after special session” until the Republican-backed legislation passes.

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/e ... ting-bill/

They'll be no compromise on these bills. Votes will be taken, eventually. But no backing down. We're serious as a Heart Attack.

Much ado about nothing.

N867DA

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:40 am

Voter ID is fine if it is free regardless of income, takes less than 15 minutes to get, and requires no gasoline, bank account, or significant paperwork to acquire.

Voting should be encouraged, and the more poll locations and hours the better.

Both of these are terrible for the GOP, and they know it--so they will restrict who can vote as much as possible. Especially in cities. Under the guise of 'uniform state-wide policies' they'll make sure only rural, white people can vote easily.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:51 am

N867DA wrote:
Voter ID is fine if it is free regardless of income, takes less than 15 minutes to get, and requires no gasoline, bank account, or significant paperwork to acquire.

Both of these are terrible for the GOP, and they know it--so they will restrict who can vote as much as possible. Especially in cities. Under the guise of 'uniform state-wide policies' they'll make sure only rural, white people can vote easily.

I live in Dallas County, and it's as easy as pie to Vote early, AT ANY POLLING LOCATION IN THE COUNTY!!
That's right, if you can manage to show up at ANY polling location, with an ID, you can vote early just as if you were voting on Election Day at your precinct.

Much Ado About NOTHING!!

Aaron747

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:08 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

I live in Dallas County, and it's as easy as pie to Vote early, AT ANY POLLING LOCATION IN THE COUNTY!!
That's right, if you can manage to show up at ANY polling location, with an ID, you can vote early just as if you were voting on Election Day at your precinct.

Much Ado About NOTHING!!

That's nice for Dallas County - Harris and Tarrant County are major areas of concern for reduction of polling places. And actually, according to this article, Dallas County would be affected too. Gee, I wonder why? Do tell us more, boomer.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/23 ... trictions/

PixelPilot

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:03 pm

LMP737 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Well, then I guess we should outlaw ALL absentee voting. After all, how can you be 100% certain if the person sending in the absentee ballot is the person listed on said ballot?

Going to be out of your home state or the country on election day, too bad. Going to be hospitalized on election day, too bad. Serving your country, too bad.

Are you allowed to vote for only 1 day every 4 years?
In Texas that is 12 full days of early voting according to this:
https://www.vote.org/early-voting-calendar/

Need ID to mail in ballot? (Most people should have one already anyway).
You will have MONTHS to get one.
Plenty of time to do something that is important if you ask me.

But then again, it’s no TV sale on Black Friday so showing up to do something earlier than usual might be impossible for some.

extender

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:29 pm

PixelPilot wrote:

Spot on. Can't buy a firearm either.

PixelPilot

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

One key difference: voting is a fundamental right. None of the other points you mention are basic constitutional rights.

Most states ask for some form of ID when showing up to vote. If one doesn’t have a DL, some other evidence you live where you say can suffice, like a current utility bill or paycheck.

Nobody is denying your fundamental right here. They just want to make sure you are who you are so what’s the big deal? Why are people afraid to let them know that they are who they are.

seb146

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:09 pm

LMP737 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
The Voting Laws that Texas will be enacting, and it's going to happen, no matter how much they rail against it out of state, and on The View, will not prevent any legal voter from voting.

The law will restrict counties from coming up with their own "rules" for voting. They are trying to make the voting rules the same across the state, so that all Texas citizens have the same opportunity to vote.

The Poll tax is gone. Get over it!!! Seeing secret oppression of others EVERYWHERE must be a tiring life.

Texas voting rules are more liberal than the voting rules of Biden's home state. But......... :?

Stop pretending that these laws have anything to do with something other than who won the 2020 presidential race. If Trump had won none of these laws would ever have been enacted because it would have been the result they wanted. Why change the laws if you your guy won? Only a fool would think otherwise.

I would add to that the 2016 presidential race. Hillary lost the Electoral College and no Democrats demanded voting laws be changed. However, just like with every presidential election since I can remember, there were calls to get rid of the Electoral College.

winginit

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:13 pm

extender wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

I'm all for there being an ID requirement to vote, but if that's the case you have to make the process of getting said ID entirely free of charge. Otherwise it is literally a poll tax, which is prohibited by the 24th amendment to the constitution.

chimborazo

Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:16 pm

winginit wrote:
extender wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

I'm all for there being an ID requirement to vote, but if that's the case you have to make the process of getting said ID entirely free of charge. Otherwise it is literally a poll tax, which is prohibited by the 24th amendment to the constitution.

Agreed on one level of “freedom” but on another: how can you possibly function in the modern world without suitable ID? The same ID that is then used to vote…?

Aaron747

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:02 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Nobody is denying your fundamental right here. They just want to make sure you are who you are so what’s the big deal? Why are people afraid to let them know that they are who they are.

I think the real question here is why are polling places being reduced in specific counties by the legislative action? Shouldn't the county election board determine how many polling places they can provide and budget for? And furthermore in counties with a large population can it really be said that the right to vote is being respected when polling places are closed/reduced?

PixelPilot

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:34 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I think the real question here is why are polling places being reduced in specific counties by the legislative action? Shouldn't the county election board determine how many polling places they can provide and budget for? And furthermore in counties with a large population can it really be said that the right to vote is being respected when polling places are closed/reduced?

Technically you are right and I wish we knew the real reason.
Pulling racist card just cause doesn't sound right to me and I bet that's the reason why they didn't even specifically stated why. What's the point. You will be labeled no matter what. Just look at this thread lol.
It's used so often (and very often without ANY reason to be used) lately that is literally losing it's meaning.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:58 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Technically you are right and I wish we knew the real reason.
Pulling racist card just cause doesn't sound right to me and I bet that's the reason why they didn't even specifically stated why. What's the point. You will be labeled no matter what. Just look at this thread lol.
It's used so often (and very often without ANY reason to be used) lately that is literally losing it's meaning.

I would agree the rationale is unlikely to be explicitly racist - it's a coincidence the largest numbers of minorities are in the same high population counties. The actual fear GOP members of the lege have is they will lose future elections if populations keep growing in those major counties, so they want to keep turnout low. They are afraid of losing, plain and simple.

LittleFokker

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:17 am

Aaron747 wrote:
I would agree the rationale is unlikely to be explicitly racist - it's a coincidence the largest numbers of minorities are in the same high population counties. The actual fear GOP members of the lege have is they will lose future elections if populations keep growing in those major counties, so they want to keep turnout low. They are afraid of losing, plain and simple.

I agree the motivations for this set of laws is not overtly or primarily racist, but I also think it's naive to assume that it's not a factor. Maybe 15-20% of the reason behind these laws? Ever since the USSC trashed the Voting Rights Act, it seems like these Southern states are tripping over themselves to prove how racist they have been and continue to still be.

cpd

Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:41 am

alfa164 wrote:
chimborazo wrote:

The problem occurs when the "winners" decide that an open democracy isn't such a good thing for them, and try to rewrite the rules to guarantee their ability to stay in power by denying voters who might oppose them an equal chance to vote. When voters are held back from voting, it becomes impossible for them to "change the rule makers".

To Chimborazo, remember, a prominent right wing conservative opposition-leader and Prime Minister said "It is the job of the opposition to oppose".

seb146

Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:49 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I agree the motivations for this set of laws is not overtly or primarily racist, but I also think it's naive to assume that it's not a factor. Maybe 15-20% of the reason behind these laws? Ever since the USSC trashed the Voting Rights Act, it seems like these Southern states are tripping over themselves to prove how racist they have been and continue to still be.

Republicans do not have a problem with local elections as long as they won. Republicans don't have a problem with House races they won. Republicans don't have a problem with Senate elections. Much. They have a YUGE problem with presidential elections. Now. This time. Their guy lost. Bigly. Both in the popular vote and the Electoral College vote. Recall that in 2016, they kept on and on about "popular vote does not matter because we won" so they have to flip that. As long as they have the power, Republicans do not care about elections. When they lose, they have to find ways to move the goal posts so they can win.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:
N867DA wrote:

Much Ado About NOTHING!!

That's nice for Dallas County - Harris and Tarrant County are major areas of concern for reduction of polling places. And actually, according to this article, Dallas County would be affected too. Gee, I wonder why? Do tell us more, boomer.

I'm going to try again and respond to your request for me to tell you more. The "boomer" remark is a pejorative, and trolling, but who am I to say???

The Texas Tribune article states that there are too many polling places based on the population density in some areas, and not enough polling places based on the population density in other areas. There's nothing racist in that. It's much ado about nothing.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:59 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Much Ado About NOTHING!!

I'm going to try again and respond to your request for me to tell you more. The "boomer" remark is a pejorative, and trolling, but who am I to say???

The Texas Tribune article states that there are too many polling places based on the population density in some areas, and not enough polling places based on the population density in other areas. There's nothing racist in that. It's much ado about nothing.

I don't think you read very carefully...missed this part, perchance?

A comparison of the Election Day polling locations that were used for the 2020 general election and what would happen under the Senate proposal shows a starkly different distribution of polling sites in Harris and Tarrant counties that would heavily favor voters living in Republican areas.

In Harris County — home to Houston, the state's biggest city — the formula would mean fewer polling places in 13 of the 24 districts contained in the county, all currently represented by Democrats. Every district held by a Republican would either see a gain in polling places or see no change.

It's not based on population - it's based on party favoritism. They are trying to safeguard the likelihood of losing in districts that are much more purple/blue than in years past. Sounds totally undemocratic to me. They can't win on policy in those counties so they are just manipulating the map and reducing poll access amongst voters who won't vote for them.

As for 'boomer', it is not a pejorative, it's intergenerational sarcasm. Pejoratives are typically four and eight-letter words.

art

Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:27 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

A showdown in the Texas House was locked into place Tuesday after the chamber voted overwhelmingly to send law enforcement after Democrats who left the state a day earlier in protest of a GOP priority elections legislation.

More than 50 House Democrats left Monday for Washington, D.C., to deny the chamber a quorum — the minimum number of lawmakers needed to conduct business — as it takes up voting restrictions and other Republican priorities in a special session

I have the impression that the practice of politics in the US is very defective.

In a democracy one is elected to argue one's agenda in some kind of assembly. If the majority of members of the assembly wish to debate a matter and vote on it, you should not be a member of that assembly if you act to prevent that happening.

casinterest

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:24 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-americans-o ... 31824.html

On one hand there are bills like Texas’s, which are popular with Republicans but not with the public as a whole. None of the most common GOP restrictions attracts the support of more than 36 percent of Americans, and opposition outpaces support across the board. By a 12-point margin, those surveyed said they did not favor “making it harder to vote by mail”; by 8 points, they were against “banning or cutting back on mail ballot drop-boxes”; by 15 points they did not approve of “shortening the early or absentee voting period”; by 8 points they did not favor “giving more power to partisan observers to police polling places”; and by 40 points they rejected the idea of “making it harder to vote early (in person).” Again, independents oppose all of these measures by margins similar to Americans at large.

Are the Republicans fighting a loosing battle to shore up their base , but yet lose the middle? It sure looks like it.

In contrast to the Texas bill and others like it, all of Manchin’s provisions attract more support than opposition, including:

“making Election Day a national holiday so people have time off from work to vote” (63 percent support, while 19 percent oppose)

“banning partisan gerrymandering, the practice by which politicians redraw congressional districts to help their own party win” (50 percent to 24 percent)

“requiring at least 15 consecutive days of early voting in federal elections” (49 percent to 21 percent)

“requiring voters to show some form of identification before casting a ballot, such as a utility bill with their name and address on it” (61 percent to 20 percent)

“blocking new election laws enacted by state or local governments with a history of racist election practices until those laws are approved by federal courts or the Department of Justice” (44 percent to 27 percent)

and “allowing states to purge ineligible voters from their rolls using state and federal documents” (47 percent to 20 percent)

Manchin and the Senate have a chance at decent voting rights bills. Why are the states so scared? Would it be because too many of them would have to go to Federal Courts?

Aaron747

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:30 pm

casinterest wrote:
https://news.yahoo.com/poll-americans-oppose-new-texas-style-gop-voting-restrictions-prefer-democratic-reforms-090031824.html

On one hand there are bills like Texas’s, which are popular with Republicans but not with the public as a whole. None of the most common GOP restrictions attracts the support of more than 36 percent of Americans, and opposition outpaces support across the board. By a 12-point margin, those surveyed said they did not favor “making it harder to vote by mail”; by 8 points, they were against “banning or cutting back on mail ballot drop-boxes”; by 15 points they did not approve of “shortening the early or absentee voting period”; by 8 points they did not favor “giving more power to partisan observers to police polling places”; and by 40 points they rejected the idea of “making it harder to vote early (in person).” Again, independents oppose all of these measures by margins similar to Americans at large.

Are the Republicans fighting a loosing battle to shore up their base , but yet lose the middle? It sure looks like it.

In contrast to the Texas bill and others like it, all of Manchin’s provisions attract more support than opposition, including:

“making Election Day a national holiday so people have time off from work to vote” (63 percent support, while 19 percent oppose)

“banning partisan gerrymandering, the practice by which politicians redraw congressional districts to help their own party win” (50 percent to 24 percent)

“requiring at least 15 consecutive days of early voting in federal elections” (49 percent to 21 percent)

“requiring voters to show some form of identification before casting a ballot, such as a utility bill with their name and address on it” (61 percent to 20 percent)

“blocking new election laws enacted by state or local governments with a history of racist election practices until those laws are approved by federal courts or the Department of Justice” (44 percent to 27 percent)

and “allowing states to purge ineligible voters from their rolls using state and federal documents” (47 percent to 20 percent)

Manchin and the Senate have a chance at decent voting rights bills. Why are the states so scared? Would it be because too many of them would have to go to Federal Courts?

They obviously don't care about losing the middle - the ridiculous 'audit' in AZ and the reaction to it there is proof positive. Dyed in the wool AZ conservatives have commented time and again that the audit is silly and incompetent, and they keep pressing on and trying to spread it to other states. Psychotic.

casinterest

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:32 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
https://news.yahoo.com/poll-americans-oppose-new-texas-style-gop-voting-restrictions-prefer-democratic-reforms-090031824.html

They obviously don't care about losing the middle - the ridiculous 'audit' in AZ and the reaction to it there is proof positive. Dyed in the wool AZ conservatives have commented time and again that the audit is silly and incompetent, and they keep pressing on and trying to spread it to other states. Psychotic.

I just wish they would share their "old" math on how all this helps the GOP in the long run. Right now they are pushing hard to alienate anyone that has an once of concern for their community.

LMP737

Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 am

PixelPilot wrote:

Why would I need an ID to mail in an absentee ballot? I'm mailing it in, no one is checking my ID when I put it in the mailbox.

seb146

Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:53 am

LMP737 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

Why would I need an ID to mail in an absentee ballot? I'm mailing it in, no one is checking my ID when I put it in the mailbox.

I live in Oregon. No state's system is perfect. Not even ours. But....

We have elections four times a year. Some districts do not mail ballots four times a year because we do not always have anything to vote on. We just had an election in May. We had like three things to vote on. I got one ballot and the brosband* got one ballot. I filled out mine, he filled out his, we drove to city hall and dropped off our ballots. That's all we got. One each. Because the state of Oregon already had our identification on file. No need to check over and over again. One person, one ballot.

*Brosband: for those who don't know, we have been together for like 15 years. We don't want a wedding and all the fuss. We could be common law married under Oregon law. We are looking into it. Until then, brosbands we are.

AirWorthy99

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:54 pm

I really do admire the courage of these Texas Democrat Representatives in doing this. Honestly it shows that the Democrats are truly fighters, and they do anything for their power.

What I also do hope is that Senate Republicans do the same when the Democrats want to ram the trillions of dollars in 'infrastructure' they are trying to push via reconciliation, which is a disaster. I hope senate GOP has the guts to do the same as these Texas Democrats, and deny Democrats quorum at least until the new congress is sworn in. I can only hope, but I know Senate GOP is not as courageous, so I am only dreaming.

Aaron747

Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:56 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
I really do admire the courage of these Texas Democrat Representatives in doing this. Honestly it shows that the Democrats are truly fighters, and they do anything for their power.

What I also do hope is that Senate Republicans do the same when the Democrats want to ram the trillions of dollars in 'infrastructure' they are trying to push via reconciliation, which is a disaster. I hope senate GOP has the guts to do the same as these Texas Democrats, and deny Democrats quorum at least until the new congress is sworn in. I can only hope, but I know Senate GOP is not as courageous, so I am only dreaming.

There is also the matter of the Texas state lege and US Senate having different rules of procedure.

AirWorthy99

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

There is also the matter of the Texas state lege and US Senate having different rules of procedure.

Actually, for the US Senate you need a quorum of 51 senators. Democrats only have 50

Article I, section 5 of the Constitution requires that a quorum (51 senators) be present for the Senate to conduct business. Often, fewer than 51 senators are present on the floor, but the Senate presumes a quorum unless a roll call vote or quorum call suggests otherwise.

https://www.senate.gov/reference/refere ... re_vrd.htm

casinterest

Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:04 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Actually, for the US Senate you need a quorum of 51 senators. Democrats only have 50

Article I, section 5 of the Constitution requires that a quorum (51 senators) be present for the Senate to conduct business. Often, fewer than 51 senators are present on the floor, but the Senate presumes a quorum unless a roll call vote or quorum call suggests otherwise.

I would laugh if the GOP senate took off over an infrastructure bill. They can't stand Americans, and they can't stand working to make it better.

FGITD

Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:35 pm

casinterest wrote:

I would laugh if the GOP senate took off over an infrastructure bill. They can't stand Americans, and they can't stand working to make it better.

Would be one of those monumental moments to be talked about for decades after.

Dems took off when legislation to limit voters was being voted on.

Repubs took off when legislation to make sure bridges don’t collapse was being voted on.

The US has taken such a bizarre turn since the end of the Second World War. Seems like people used to be proud that the US was a World leader in even simpler things like having widespread, well functioning infrastructure. Right down to things like roads, bridges, etc.

But it seems these days if you need money to fix a bridge so that one day it won’t kill you…that’s socialism. Bridge should fix itself by the bootstraps.

par13del

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Perhaps a large part of the problem is that the states have become lazy and just choose to have their infrastructure fall apart while waiting on the Feds to bail them out, a lot of infrastructure is at the state level, all roads and bridges and not assigned to interstate infrastructure.

luckyone

Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:26 pm

par13del wrote:
Perhaps a large part of the problem is that the states have become lazy and just choose to have their infrastructure fall apart while waiting on the Feds to bail them out, a lot of infrastructure is at the state level, all roads and bridges and not assigned to interstate infrastructure.

Vote no and take the money.

seb146

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:49 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It would show Americans how much Republicans hate America. But, it would be spun as patriotism and doing the right thing, so their base would just eat it up.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

It would show Americans how much Republicans hate America. But, it would be spun as patriotism and doing the right thing, so their base would just eat it up.

Do the Texas Dems who actually took rather than vote hate America?

seb146

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:25 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

By trying to save Texan's right to vote? I guess they hate America because they are not bowing to the whim of Republicans by restricting voting...

casinterest

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:30 am

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

By trying to save Texan's right to vote? I guess they hate America because they are not bowing to the whim of Republicans by restricting voting...

The GOP has given up on American freedoms. It is all about lies and fraud from here on out.

seb146

Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:00 am

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

The GOP has given up on American freedoms. It is all about lies and fraud from here on out.

Yes and, unfortunately, rank and file Republicans like NikV will find that out too late...