Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Tennessee abandons vaccine outreach to minors — not just for COVID-19

Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 pm

This reminds me of the opioid epidemic that is ravaging the country and especially Tennessee, and of course Marsha Blackburn came to the aid of the poor, defenseless...opioid manufacturers.

"The Tennessee Department of Health will halt all adolescent vaccine outreach – not just for coronavirus, but all diseases – amid pressure from Republican state lawmakers, according to an internal report and agency emails obtained by the Tennessean. If the health department must issue any information about vaccines, staff are instructed to strip the agency logo off the documents."

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/h ... 928701002/

casinterest

Re: Tennessee abandons vaccine outreach to minors — not just for COVID-19

Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:49 pm

This shows what happens when Lawmakers buy into a big lie.
Lawmakers:"" Let's forget about saving lives, it is much easier to create more preventable crisis's for these uneducated fools, so they will give us more money to make their lives even more miserable"

Citizens: "Yes make my life more miserable for donations".

Newark727

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:20 pm

Not even a year ago Republicans were eagerly talking up how the Trump administration was fast-tracking vaccine development. And a vaccine is by far the most robust solution to the COVID-19 related restrictions on businesses and social gatherings that the right has decried as so onerous. I know most of the right-leaning posters on this website have gotten it, to their credit.

So what gives? I struggle to reach a remotely charitable explanation for this.

casinterest

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:36 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Not even a year ago Republicans were eagerly talking up how the Trump administration was fast-tracking vaccine development. And a vaccine is by far the most robust solution to the COVID-19 related restrictions on businesses and social gatherings that the right has decried as so onerous. I know most of the right-leaning posters on this website have gotten it, to their credit.

So what gives? I struggle to reach a remotely charitable explanation for this.

There isn't a charitable explanation. The only explanation is lies and corruption within the GOP about Covid-19.
Fiscus said she was a scapegoat who was terminated to appease state lawmakers angry about the department's efforts to vaccinate teenagers against coronavirus. The agency has been dialing back efforts to vaccinate teenagers since June.

"It was my job to provide evidence-based education and vaccine access so that Tennesseans could protect themselves against COVID-19," Fiscus said in a written statement. "I have now been terminated for doing exactly that."

And now as cases rise, The Tennessee GOP will welcome the pain and suffering of the people of Tennessee.

Tennessee has also begun to show some signs of a rebounding virus. After months of declining infections, the average number of new infections per day has more than doubled since a low point on June 23 – climbing from 169 to 351 as of Friday. The state’s average test positivity rate increased from about 2% to about 4.5% in the same time period. Daily hospitalizations and deaths remain in the single digits.

Pi7472000

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Sounds like a failed state in TN! I would hope businesses start pulling out of these anti science and anti vax states. I avoid travel to anti vax and science states like Wyoming, South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Florida etc. Exactly why we need vaccine passport like Hawaii will require. States that have been pro vaccine and science should be rewarded with more federal funding.

airtechy

Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:56 pm

I successfully managed to reach escape velocity and get out of Tennessee almost 60 years ago. It's full of uneducated and non-thinking people who elect like people to local government. Granted Florida may not be much better. If you read the article, some of the Republicans in the legislature are actually trying to eliminate the entire Tennessee health department. I guess they are just doing what the people that elected them want .. "We don't want no gubment help".

Somewhere I saw an idea published suggesting that all the non-thinkers and anti-vaxers sit for a recent portrait .. so they will look good in their obituary picture. Seems like good advice.

GDB

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:26 pm

Easily fixed, they have made their state a clear and present danger to the rest of the US, not just with COVID, so logically to protect the nation from this hick biological warfare, the Federal Government first tells them to cease and desist, if not all Federal funds to the state stop at once, all departments, field offices, military assets in the state under Federal control are informed that they must prepare to relocate if TN state idiots carry on this course.

The mere mention of these as a possibility will likely lead to a flight of business from TN, which in itself will likely cause these buffoons to do a u-turn.

The only way you are going to stop all this dangerous nonsense is sadly by threats, the only thing to penetrate their thick skulls.

Kent350787

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 pm

I find it interesting that there is noone here arguing in favour of this action by TN.

That the argument is basically "if you provide kids the fact based information about vaccinations they may want to go against their parents' anti-vax ignorance" is an extreme libertarian position that will kill people.

Vaccines are modern miracles. HPV will be wiped out in my country in a generation via vaccines, let alone the impact of vaccines during the current pandemic.

These people in TN are modern idiots. I can't find any language more polite to describe them.

seb146

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:26 am

My parents and my brothers and I do not have smallpox, measles, mumps, diphtheria, polio, pertussis, etc. because of vaccines. But, our parents were in health care, so we had science on our side. I remember in like first or second grade being marched down to the nurse's office and given a sugar cube. Every one of us. It had medicine on it but I don't know what. I just know I don't have whatever that was.

I think people like this should sign waivers. They will pay higher health insurance premiums, if they can get insurance at all, if they choose not to be vaccinated. These people want pregnancies but refuse to do anything to keep children healthy.

Aaron747

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:34 am

airtechy wrote:
I successfully managed to reach escape velocity and get out of Tennessee almost 60 years ago. It's full of uneducated and non-thinking people who elect like people to local government. Granted Florida may not be much better. If you read the article, some of the Republicans in the legislature are actually trying to eliminate the entire Tennessee health department. I guess they are just doing what the people that elected them want .. "We don't want no gubment help".

Somewhere I saw an idea published suggesting that all the non-thinkers and anti-vaxers sit for a recent portrait .. so they will look good in their obituary picture. Seems like good advice.

I remember talking to a guy in Japan from Toyota who had just got back from their facility in TN. He said in two years there he only got to know people in the plant and avoided interaction in the local community because they were 'unsophisticated' and he got tired of being asked where in China he was from. I was just like 'yeah...that's Tennessee for ya'.

stl07

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:58 am

Aaron747 wrote:
airtechy wrote:

I remember talking to a guy in Japan from Toyota who had just got back from their facility in TN. He said in two years there he only got to know people in the plant and avoided interaction in the local community because they were 'unsophisticated' and he got tired of being asked where in China he was from. I was just like 'yeah...that's Tennessee for ya'.

But But But But I heard Nashville was the new San Francisco

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Anybody directly connected with Tennessee aware of any undercurrent and movement toward sense. Certainly the Country Music Establishment is not anti-science. Dolly Parton actually helped finance some of the research toward vaccines. The University of the South seems to do admirable things (a little slow getting there). I suppose this is as much a question as opposed to opinion.

casinterest

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:52 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Anybody directly connected with Tennessee aware of any undercurrent and movement toward sense. Certainly the Country Music Establishment is not anti-science. Dolly Parton actually helped finance some of the research toward vaccines. The University of the South seems to do admirable things (a little slow getting there). I suppose this is as much a question as opposed to opinion.

There is an article out today, where a group of doctors is ready to go after the Governor.

https://www.wkrn.com/news/tennessee-phy ... -official/

“I think it’s frankly a dereliction of duty that the Governor is doing anything to suppress the Department of Health from doing its job, and that’s to protect the lives of Tennesseans and getting more people vaccinated,” Dr. Martin said. “We want someone to look at the Governor’s Office and see if there’s any culpability for the decisions that are being made. Because guys this is life or death. That’s the only way to put it. This is people’s lives at stake over politics.”

I think at the end of the day, this is more power tripping by the echo chamber that is costing more lives. The further we go into this month, with rising Covid cases, the worse the optics will be for the GOP. You can already see it in the headlines as some of the more establishment oriented GOP members are starting to call out the crap that is coming from these anti vaxx whackos.