Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frmrCapCadet

Re: YouGov Poll Finds 66% Of Southern Republicans In Favor Of Seceding From USA

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:06 pm

In a theocracy, god's book may reign, but it is always as interpreted by the reigning ruler. Always.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

extender

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:21 pm

N1120A wrote:
I mean, please do. I'd be happy to stop supporting welfare states with my California tax dollars.

California is has the highest Welfare expenditures.

The title of this poll makes it sound like the 66% of southern repulicans want to do it to bring slavery back. The 13th and 14th amendments address that.

casinterest

Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:36 pm

extender wrote:
N1120A wrote:
I mean, please do. I'd be happy to stop supporting welfare states with my California tax dollars.

The title of this poll makes it sound like the 66% of southern repulicans want to do it to bring slavery back. The 13th and 14th amendments address that.

You forget that California can afford most of its own welfare expenditures.
Let's look at the states most dependent on the federal government.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-l ... nment/2700

Rank (1 = Most Dependent)

State

Total Score

State Residents’ Dependency

State Government’s Dependency

1 New Mexico 86.57 1 6
2 Alaska 84.23 4 4
3 Mississippi 83.94 7 3
4 Kentucky 80.78 5 8
5 West Virginia 75.36 2 12
6 Montana 73.87 14 2
7 Arizona 70.33 10 7
8 Indiana 69.96 8 11
9 South Carolina 67.36 6 17
10 Louisiana 62.45 27 1
11 Alabama 59.36 11 15
12 Wyoming 58.14 24 5
13 Maine 53.80 12 18
14 Tennessee 52.81 22 9
15 Pennsylvania 47.80 17 20
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:09 pm

extender wrote:
N1120A wrote:

The title of this poll makes it sound like the 66% of southern repulicans want to do it to bring slavery back.
The 13th and 14th amendments address that.

Well, how could anyone get such an outrageous idea? Oh wait;

"GOP advances bill to limit teaching of slavery and racism in classrooms"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1461113
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

extender

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:02 pm

A great big nothing burger. Slavery isn't coming back.

casinterest

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:26 pm

extender wrote:

Yet the GOP keeps passing laws to make the poor poorer, the rich richer, and erasing history with lies.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

seb146

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:39 pm

casinterest wrote:
extender wrote:

Yet the GOP keeps passing laws to make the poor poorer, the rich richer, and erasing history with lies.

There were places called "company towns" where everything was owned by one company. Usually in coal country. The mine owner would set up small houses and schools and stores and such. The mine owner would pay the worker and the worker would have to go to the company store to buy provisions like food and pay rent to the mine owner. At the end of the day, the paycheck was gone, back to the mine owner, and the worker would still be in debt.

https://www.history.com/news/5-famous-company-towns
https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/p ... s-to-1935/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_t ... facilities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

N1120A

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:41 am

extender wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Cause we have the most people, by far. At least we can pay for it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 pm

Texis, IIRC, is the only red state that sends more money to Washington than it gets back.

AirframeAS

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:52 am

Kiwirob wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Why do people even do these polls for, when we already have laws on the books prohibiting secession...namely the 14th amendment?

Just because a law is there doesn't mean it correct.

Some states are pretty dubious, for instance Hawaii should be an independent nation, it should never have been granted Statehood, it's entry into the US as a territory was a result of a coop, with the US attitude towards other countries having colonies you should be helping Hawaii towards independence.

Hawaii gained statehood in 1959, not as a result of a coop. See below.

https://teachinghistory.org/history-con ... %20century.

And for the record, I agree with the 14th.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:08 am

AirframeAS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Why do people even do these polls for, when we already have laws on the books prohibiting secession...namely the 14th amendment?

Some states are pretty dubious, for instance Hawaii should be an independent nation, it should never have been granted Statehood, it's entry into the US as a territory was a result of a coop, with the US attitude towards other countries having colonies you should be helping Hawaii towards independence.

The only reason Hawaii had the ability to become a state is due to the coup of 1893 where the monarchy was other thrown by US planters and the later annexation in 1898 when Hawaii became a territory/colony.

You need to face up to the fact that Hawaii should not be a state and was stolen from its people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow ... an_Kingdom

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:14 am

AirframeAS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

You gotta laugh when someone argues a point then trash’s the point they were arguing when they provide eveidence that they were wrong in the link that is supposed to back up there original argument.

In retrospect, perhaps, the genuinely interesting question about Hawaii’s becoming a state is why it took so long.
Hawaii’s annexation in 1898 had much to do with the power of American plantation owners on the islands and the protection of their financial interests—both in gaining exemption from import taxes for the sugar they shipped to the U.S. and in protecting their holdings from possible confiscation or nationalization under a revived Hawaiian monarchy. There was considerable sentiment in the U.S. that annexation would be an unjust, imperialistic, and therefore un-American, move (Hawaii had more than sugar; it was a potential harbor and coaling station for naval vessels and was historically pressured in the 18th and 19th centuries for concessions by countries including Great Britain, Japan, and Russia).

seb146

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The only reason Hawaii had the ability to become a state is due to the coup of 1893 where the monarchy was other thrown by US planters and the later annexation in 1898 when Hawaii became a territory/colony.

You need to face up to the fact that Hawaii should not be a state and was stolen from its people.

That could also apply to North America. The United States government negotiated treaties with Natives, who did not understand what they were being told. Then, the government decided the land had gold or oil or something of value, so the federal government did a "lulz... j/k" and moved the Natives to an even worse place.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... es-exhibit

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

That could also apply to North America. The United States government negotiated treaties with Natives, who did not understand what they were being told. Then, the government decided the land had gold or oil or something of value, so the federal government did a "lulz... j/k" and moved the Natives to an even worse place.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... es-exhibit

I would disagree with that, Hawaii was a sovereign nation recognised by the many countries with foreign representation

wingman

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:12 pm

From what I know the treatment of the Maori by the British was similar to treatment of the native Hawaiins by the US, maybe even worse in that the Maori were recognized as equal subjects to the throne before everything was stolen from them. I dont think the US government ever bullshitted Hawaiins to that extent. The Native American Indians no question. 19th C white colonizers were a uniformly evil breed in many respects.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:58 am

AirframeAS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
AirframeAS wrote:

Sorry, as Rob pointed out, there was a lot that happened before that. Not our finest hour at all. Too late for native Hawaiians to do anything about it though.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:32 am

wingman wrote:
From what I know the treatment of the Maori by the British was similar to treatment of the native Hawaiins by the US, maybe even worse in that the Maori were recognized as equal subjects to the throne before everything was stolen from them. I dont think the US government ever bullshitted Hawaiins to that extent. The Native American Indians no question. 19th C white colonizers were a uniformly evil breed in many respects.

It wasn’t as bad for Maori as Hawaiians, Hawaiians had a legitimate country that was stolen from them, Maori were a collection of Stone Age tribes, they didn’t have a concept of nationhood, the Maori situation is more like the Native American situation.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:40 pm

A study of intra-Hawaiian warfare would seem to indicate that Hawaii was not a unitary kingdom. By the way, I would avoid the adjective 'stone age' as it really does not add information to 'tribe'.

Aloha717200

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:33 pm

As a Democrat living in a red state, I support it. I have been harassed more times for my Biden stickers than any "F*ck Your Feelings", flag-waving, lifted-truck driving Trumper ever has. I'm armed for the first time in my life because I've felt and been threatened so many times and a call to the cops is useless here.

I have plans to move to a blue state and get the hell out of here. And I know Republicans living in blue states feel like they don't belong either. So let's separate like a bad marriage and call it good. I'm tired.

seb146

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:26 pm

Aloha717200 wrote:
As a Democrat living in a red state, I support it. I have been harassed more times for my Biden stickers than any "F*ck Your Feelings", flag-waving, lifted-truck driving Trumper ever has. I'm armed for the first time in my life because I've felt and been threatened so many times and a call to the cops is useless here.

I have plans to move to a blue state and get the hell out of here. And I know Republicans living in blue states feel like they don't belong either. So let's separate like a bad marriage and call it good. I'm tired.

You just pointed out a huge difference between a Democrat living in a Republican state and a Republican living in a Democratic state. Even though I live in a Democratic controlled state, I live in a heavily MAGA county and do not feel I can freely express my opinion because of violence from MAGAs. MAGAs living in Eugene or Portland do not face violence and threats from Democrats.