Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 am

On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library on the border between Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec to illegal enter the United States. The SUV nearly collided with another SUV before traveling on Interstate 91, where authorities caught up after about 10 miles. The group was sent back to Canada and the border closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic has made such incidents more frequent. Hopefully, the border will be able to reopen soon and and allow people to legally cross through an authorized checkpoint.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news10 ... rmont/amp/
 
DTVG
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 am

Time to build a beautiful wall on the US-Canada border
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 8282
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library


Was the SUV coerced by these seven people, or did it act of its own volition?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:56 pm

Read up on bi-national Derby Line, houses straddle the border.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wall-bord ... d=37196875
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:58 pm

fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library


Was the SUV coerced by these seven people, or did it act of its own volition?


Not surprising a vehicle could hijack the innocent victims and cross the border, sounds like a lot of modern thinking.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11378
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:35 pm

Haskell Free Library is an awesome and unique place to visit. You can pretty much roam freely around the grounds within reason - but you do get the feeling that someone is definitely watching you the entire time.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 15639
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:18 pm

This sounds like a ready-made skit for early 1980s Canadian sketch show 'Great White North'.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
This sounds like a ready-made skit for early 1980s Canadian sketch show 'Great White North'.


Or the 1995 John Candy flick, Canadian Bacon!

The US president tries to boost his sagging approval rating by starting a war with Canada. Slick propaganda campaigns convince a zealous patriot to take matters into his own hands.

While eager to see the border reopen, I don't think this is much of a news story. Given the length of the border, intentional/unintentional crossings at non-CBSA or DHS crossings probably happen more than we realize.

Interestingly enough - I was reading somewhere recently (not sure if true, will try to find it) that this COVID closure represents the longest continuous closure of the Canada-US land border since the War of 1812
 
Okie
Posts: 4253
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library


Was the SUV coerced by these seven people, or did it act of its own volition?


Not surprising a vehicle could hijack the innocent victims and cross the border, sounds like a lot of modern thinking.


What seven victims, quite obviously we don't need such "high capacity SUV's" :roll:

Okie
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 4168
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Okie wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Was the SUV coerced by these seven people, or did it act of its own volition?


Not surprising a vehicle could hijack the innocent victims and cross the border, sounds like a lot of modern thinking.


What seven victims, quite obviously we don't need such "high capacity SUV's" :roll:

Okie

It was registered though so….


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
PixelPilot
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm

They should have just walked in.
They would get a free bus ticket to some cool place in the states.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2579
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Kind of surprised that the driver was not arrested.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 pm

stlgph wrote:
Haskell Free Library is an awesome and unique place to visit. You can pretty much roam freely around the grounds within reason - but you do get the feeling that someone is definitely watching you the entire time.

What was the Haskell Free Library like before 9/11?
 
stlgph
Posts: 11378
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Haskell Free Library is an awesome and unique place to visit. You can pretty much roam freely around the grounds within reason - but you do get the feeling that someone is definitely watching you the entire time.

What was the Haskell Free Library like before 9/11?


Didn't make it there before 9/11.
I've been several times. It's generally no problem to walk around inside and I've parked on the Vermont side and walked around the grounds to the Canadian side, taken my picture at the border, and then back to the U.S. side again. No one came out and said anything - but you just knew if you "chanced" it and decided to take a stroll into Stanstead without crossing the border legitimately, it probably wouldn't end well. It's a fascinating area, you have houses with backyards and driveways in separate countries.

In Newport, VT to the west, you have the border running down the middle of the street.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 1928
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 pm

stlgph wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Haskell Free Library is an awesome and unique place to visit. You can pretty much roam freely around the grounds within reason - but you do get the feeling that someone is definitely watching you the entire time.

What was the Haskell Free Library like before 9/11?


Didn't make it there before 9/11.
I've been several times. It's generally no problem to walk around inside and I've parked on the Vermont side and walked around the grounds to the Canadian side, taken my picture at the border, and then back to the U.S. side again. No one came out and said anything - but you just knew if you "chanced" it and decided to take a stroll into Stanstead without crossing the border legitimately, it probably wouldn't end well. It's a fascinating area, you have houses with backyards and driveways in separate countries.

In Newport, VT to the west, you have the border running down the middle of the street.

When was the first time you went to the Haskell Free Library and how were things different then than today?
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15778
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 am

I suspect hard 'crash barriers' will be put up at the grounds of the Library on the border to prevent this from happening again. They may be ugly, but it is a sad necessity.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Not a necessity at all, how often is this happening, once a century. Safetyism strikes again.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14628
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:05 pm

What's "funny" is that it's the US closing the border, despite COVID being under control (for now) in Canada, and out of control in the US !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8070
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 pm

Hardly out of control here.
 
User avatar
WingsFan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 pm

[/i]
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Hardly out of control here.


True. Although unfortunately a few random idiots like this motorist and overreaction to them will ruin such unique places for everyone else.
 
johns624
Posts: 3961
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Aesma wrote:
What's "funny" is that it's the US closing the border, despite COVID being under control (for now) in Canada, and out of control in the US !
The US has their border closed and Canada has their border closed. Same, same. Only essential (commercial truck) traffic allowed. We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.
PS Canada will reopen its border to fully vaccinated Americans within a week, unless Justy changes his mind.
 
GayFA
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:22 am

johns624 wrote:
We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.


Or...Canada is paying good money for someone to take the trash?
 
johns624
Posts: 3961
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:32 am

GayFA wrote:
johns624 wrote:
We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.


Or...Canada is paying good money for someone to take the trash?
It was sarcasm.
 
User avatar
WildcatYXU
Posts: 3239
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:15 am

GayFA wrote:
johns624 wrote:
We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.


Or...Canada is paying good money for someone to take the trash?


Yes, that's correct. That said, the new waste water treatment plant in Stanstead will treat shit from both sides of the border.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BaconButty, Francoflier, L0VE2FLY, stl07 and 33 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos