Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 am

On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library on the border between Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec to illegal enter the United States. The SUV nearly collided with another SUV before traveling on Interstate 91, where authorities caught up after about 10 miles. The group was sent back to Canada and the border closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic has made such incidents more frequent. Hopefully, the border will be able to reopen soon and and allow people to legally cross through an authorized checkpoint.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.news10 ... rmont/amp/

DTVG

Re: SUV Illegally Enters United States From Canada

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:22 am

Time to build a beautiful wall on the US-Canada border

fr8mech

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:27 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library

Was the SUV coerced by these seven people, or did it act of its own volition?
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:56 pm

Read up on bi-national Derby Line, houses straddle the border.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wall-bord ... d=37196875

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:58 pm

fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
On July 4, an SUV with seven people drove over the lawn at the Haskell Free Library

Not surprising a vehicle could hijack the innocent victims and cross the border, sounds like a lot of modern thinking.

stlgph

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:35 pm

Haskell Free Library is an awesome and unique place to visit. You can pretty much roam freely around the grounds within reason - but you do get the feeling that someone is definitely watching you the entire time.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Aaron747

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:18 pm

This sounds like a ready-made skit for early 1980s Canadian sketch show 'Great White North'.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

skyservice_330

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
This sounds like a ready-made skit for early 1980s Canadian sketch show 'Great White North'.

Or the 1995 John Candy flick, Canadian Bacon!

The US president tries to boost his sagging approval rating by starting a war with Canada. Slick propaganda campaigns convince a zealous patriot to take matters into his own hands.

While eager to see the border reopen, I don't think this is much of a news story. Given the length of the border, intentional/unintentional crossings at non-CBSA or DHS crossings probably happen more than we realize.

Interestingly enough - I was reading somewhere recently (not sure if true, will try to find it) that this COVID closure represents the longest continuous closure of the Canada-US land border since the War of 1812

Okie

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Not surprising a vehicle could hijack the innocent victims and cross the border, sounds like a lot of modern thinking.

What seven victims, quite obviously we don't need such "high capacity SUV's" :roll:

Okie

flipdewaf

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Okie wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

What seven victims, quite obviously we don't need such "high capacity SUV's" :roll:

Okie

It was registered though so….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PixelPilot

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 pm

They should have just walked in.
They would get a free bus ticket to some cool place in the states.

dfwjim1

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Kind of surprised that the driver was not arrested.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 pm

stlgph wrote:
Haskell Free Library is an awesome and unique place to visit. You can pretty much roam freely around the grounds within reason - but you do get the feeling that someone is definitely watching you the entire time.

What was the Haskell Free Library like before 9/11?

stlgph

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:31 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Didn't make it there before 9/11.
I've been several times. It's generally no problem to walk around inside and I've parked on the Vermont side and walked around the grounds to the Canadian side, taken my picture at the border, and then back to the U.S. side again. No one came out and said anything - but you just knew if you "chanced" it and decided to take a stroll into Stanstead without crossing the border legitimately, it probably wouldn't end well. It's a fascinating area, you have houses with backyards and driveways in separate countries.

In Newport, VT to the west, you have the border running down the middle of the street.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:55 pm

stlgph wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Didn't make it there before 9/11.
I've been several times. It's generally no problem to walk around inside and I've parked on the Vermont side and walked around the grounds to the Canadian side, taken my picture at the border, and then back to the U.S. side again. No one came out and said anything - but you just knew if you "chanced" it and decided to take a stroll into Stanstead without crossing the border legitimately, it probably wouldn't end well. It's a fascinating area, you have houses with backyards and driveways in separate countries.

In Newport, VT to the west, you have the border running down the middle of the street.

When was the first time you went to the Haskell Free Library and how were things different then than today?

ltbewr

Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 am

I suspect hard 'crash barriers' will be put up at the grounds of the Library on the border to prevent this from happening again. They may be ugly, but it is a sad necessity.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:46 pm

Not a necessity at all, how often is this happening, once a century. Safetyism strikes again.

Aesma

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:05 pm

What's "funny" is that it's the US closing the border, despite COVID being under control (for now) in Canada, and out of control in the US !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 pm

Hardly out of control here.

WingsFan

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:19 pm

[/i]
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Hardly out of control here.

True. Although unfortunately a few random idiots like this motorist and overreaction to them will ruin such unique places for everyone else.

johns624

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Aesma wrote:
What's "funny" is that it's the US closing the border, despite COVID being under control (for now) in Canada, and out of control in the US !
The US has their border closed and Canada has their border closed. Same, same. Only essential (commercial truck) traffic allowed. We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.
PS Canada will reopen its border to fully vaccinated Americans within a week, unless Justy changes his mind.

GayFA

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:22 am

johns624 wrote:
We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.

Or...Canada is paying good money for someone to take the trash?

johns624

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:32 am

GayFA wrote:
johns624 wrote:
We still get our quite generous allotment of Canadian garbage. I guess Canada is too small to have its own landfills. I guess they have to keep up their squeaky clean image.

It was sarcasm.

WildcatYXU

Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:15 am

GayFA wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Yes, that's correct. That said, the new waste water treatment plant in Stanstead will treat shit from both sides of the border.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40