Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ER757
Topic Author

Cleveland Indians Change Their Name

Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:41 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/clevelan ... -guardians

Logos embedded in a Tweet about halfway down the story. Not crazy about the name or the graphics, but the story does explain the name has some meaning in Cleveland.
The Washington Football Team is expected to announce their new name in 2022. My suggestion would be The Diplomats but that isn't going to happen

ltbewr

Re: Cleveland Indians Change Their Name

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Times change and team names once acceptable even only a few years ago are not. For what is now going to be after year's end the Cleveland Guardians their need to change was due to their generations of offensive use of the references to their departing name the Indians. The late 1980's film 'Major League' about a semi-fictional version of the team is unwatchable now due to its stereotypical and awful use of references to Indians.

luckyone

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:08 pm

For some people this is going to be even worse than when they changed the taste of Coke.

Moose135

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 pm

They should have just gone with Cleveland Baseball Team.

"Go CBT!!!"

NIKV69

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:42 pm

Thought I would miss watching baseball. To my surprise. I don't.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:31 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

You’re missing out then. At least four great divisional races going this year. The SF/LA series this week was INSANE.

Aaron747

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:33 pm

luckyone wrote:
For some people this is going to be even worse than when they changed the taste of Coke.

For people in CLE the name makes sense and that’s all that matters. It’s an excellent move. Now if they can do something about that WS drought..:lol:

Newark727

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

You’re missing out then. At least four great divisional races going this year. The SF/LA series this week was INSANE.

As a Dodger fan last night's game was agony. Team needs a new closer, but also most closers are only asked to record three outs not five ;)

Aaron747

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Newark727 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

As a Dodger fan last night's game was agony. Team needs a new closer, but also most closers are only asked to record three outs not five ;)

To that I say most hitters walk on four balls, not five ;) The game’s outcome was on Roberts, not Jansen. Roberts doesn’t seem particularly adept at managing tight leads.

dragon-wings

Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:59 pm

I understand how they came up with the new name but the Guardians would be a better name for a team in the NHL, NBA, or MLS because in those sports you are guarding something.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:09 am

dragon-wings wrote:
I understand how they came up with the new name but the Guardians would be a better name for a team in the NHL, NBA, or MLS because in those sports you are guarding something.

Mmmmm I guess so...mmm no. The goal of every fielder in baseball is preventing a batted ball from advancing a runner. The goal of every pitcher is preventing batters from hitting safely. Defensively baseball is not as different as you portray.

Newark727

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:21 am

Aaron747 wrote:
To that I say most hitters walk on four balls, not five ;) The game’s outcome was on Roberts, not Jansen. Roberts doesn’t seem particularly adept at managing tight leads.

This is actually completely true. Roberts just leaves either Buehler or Treinen in, and the Dodgers probably win.

AirframeAS

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:00 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Then why bother posting?

As for the thread, I like the new name. Wished it would have been an immediate change. At first, the name made me think of Marvel's Guardian's of the Galaxy with Groot as the team's mascot! Congratulations to Cleveland on the new name!

seb146

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

For people in CLE the name makes sense and that’s all that matters. It’s an excellent move. Now if they can do something about that WS drought..:lol:

First I read about CBT and now this? White site am I on?

I find baseball as exciting as watching paint dry. I did watch when the Cubs and Boston and Toronto won their respective World Series. Those were historic moments. Other than that, meh. I understand how passionate people are about their sports. After how many years of Native people calling for changes to sports team names, finally something is happening. I don't get it like I don't get Kraken for Seattle's new NHL team, but whatever. It makes not difference to my life at all.

Except the Kraken will be crushed by my Canucks. :)

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:20 am

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I find baseball as exciting as watching paint dry. I did watch when the Cubs and Boston and Toronto won their respective World Series. Those were historic moments. Other than that, meh. I understand how passionate people are about their sports. After how many years of Native people calling for changes to sports team names, finally something is happening. I don't get it like I don't get Kraken for Seattle's new NHL team, but whatever. It makes not difference to my life at all.

Baseball is not exciting because of its pacing - its exciting because of the infinite combinations of strategy possible and slow burn of tension as situations unfold. A baseball game can be uneventful for an hour and turn on a dime in one half inning.

FGITD

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:51 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Baseball is not exciting because of its pacing - its exciting because of the infinite combinations of strategy possible and slow burn of tension as situations unfold. A baseball game can be uneventful for an hour and turn on a dime in one half inning.

I’ve been a big fan of MLB battling the pacing issues. Not too long ago it seemed like every Sox-Yankees game would last at least 4 hours. Combine that with getting to the ballpark, being in your seats in time, crowd leaving…that’s easily a 6 hour day out (or more often, evening)

I loved baseball growing up and went to many games. But these days if I’m looking for a night out at a game, I go for hockey. More exciting overall, and it’s not a commitment of 3-5 hours, with no guarantee of seeing the end.

afcjets

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 am

The Kansas City Chiefs obviously will need to be renamed too and even the New England Patriots.

https://americanfaith.com/cbs-says-patr ... for-video/

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:41 am

afcjets wrote:
The Kansas City Chiefs obviously will need to be renamed too and even the New England Patriots.

Ridiculous...there's nothing wrong with 'Patriots'. 'Chiefs' on the other hand will probably change at some point. The stadium is no longer called Arrowhead.

seahawk

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:57 am

Patriot is offensive towards foreigners. You can not have that.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:03 am

seahawk wrote:
Patriot is offensive towards foreigners. You can not have that.

Kind of irrelevant since it's an NFL team in New England, no?

afcjets

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:17 am

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Ridiculous...there's nothing wrong with 'Patriots'. 'Chiefs' on the other hand will probably change at some point. The stadium is no longer called Arrowhead.

Did you watch the video in the link? The CBSN reporter said patriot is a dog whistle term QANON uses. Q is often associated with white supremacy groups and they actively recruit Q followers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/white ... 9811909788

You can add the Dallas Cowboys to the list too. As a little boy I remember playing a game outside called Cowboys and Indians. You can't get rid of a team called the Indians and keep one that was notorious for capturing and murdering Indians.
Last edited by afcjets on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:23 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

If that’s the case then why aren’t Americans getting excited by ODI and 20/20 cricket, there’s action, strategy, excitement, the short forms of cricket are much better spectator sports than incredibly boring baseball.

phatfarmlines

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:32 am

afcjets wrote:

afcjets wrote:
You can add the Dallas Cowboys to the list. As a little boy I remember playing a game outside called Cowboys and Indians. You can't get red of a team called the Indians and keep one that was notorious for capturing and murdering Indians.

It will be difficult to maintain partiality with this renaming nomenclature. The Patriots one does not make sense since the "Pat Patriot" logo reflects something that is historically connected to the American Revolution in New England.

Then you also have the Vikings, while historically not an oppressed group in the U.S., doesn't necessarily have the rosiest history.

Teams that may not necessarily have a direct Native American name for their team (thinking about Atlanta Braves, for instance), could go through an exercise of completely rebranding the team without having to drop the name. This is what some of the colleges participating in the NCAA did after the 2005 review of Native American team names.

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:33 am

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Did you watch the video in the link? The CBSN reporter said patriot is a dog whistle term QANON uses. Q is often associated with white supremacy groups and they actively recruit Q followers.

You can add the Dallas Cowboys to the list. As a little boy I remember playing a game outside called Cowboys and Indians. You can't get red of a team called the Indians and keep one that was notorious for capturing and murdering Indians.

If you’re going to go that far then any US military unit that participated in the Indian Wars should be disbanded, all those Army choppers with Indian tribal names need to be renamed, Indian Motorcycles should be renamed, the Jeep Cherokee needs to go, it’s good that the Pontiac brand was discontinued because they would also have to be renamed.

If you start down this path you shouldn’t stop until all offensive branding is removed.

afcjets

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:57 am

Kiwirob wrote:

If you’re going to go that far then any US military unit that participated in the Indian Wars should be disbanded, all those Army choppers with Indian tribal names need to be renamed, Indian Motorcycles should be renamed, the Jeep Cherokee needs to go, it’s good that the Pontiac brand was discontinued because they would also have to be renamed.

If you start down this path you shouldn’t stop until all offensive branding is removed.

We have already started down that path and IMO it's not going to stop until one of our enemies attacks us in a profound enough way that we realize how dangerous these woke distractions and preoccupations are.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:59 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If that’s the case then why aren’t Americans getting excited by ODI and 20/20 cricket, there’s action, strategy, excitement, the short forms of cricket are much better spectator sports than incredibly boring baseball.

As a great sportswriter once said, baseball is only boring to those who can't understand it. I actually like cricket a lot, BTW.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:00 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

You can add the Dallas Cowboys to the list too. As a little boy I remember playing a game outside called Cowboys and Indians. You can't get rid of a team called the Indians and keep one that was notorious for capturing and murdering Indians.

That's why the reporter is wrong. The vast majority of Pats fans are not Q-anon disciples.

afcjets

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

That's why the reporter is wrong. The vast majority of Pats fans are not Q-anon disciples.

You bring up a good point. They're shouldn't be much resistance from the fans since the Patriots is a team based in a solid blue region. They should be offended their team shares a code name for white supremacists and/or Q followers.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

You bring up a good point. They're shouldn't be much resistance from the fans since the Patriots is a team based in a solid blue region. They should be offended their team shares a code name for white supremacists and/or Q followers.

Interesting spin but they don't care because Q is largely irrelevant to their lives. That reporter was muckraking.

seahawk

Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:27 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

New England Flag Smashers sounds good?

afcjets

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:02 pm

seahawk wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

New England Flag Smashers sounds good?

I would imagine that has a nice ring to many.

afcjets

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

Interesting spin but they don't care because Q is largely irrelevant to their lives. That reporter was muckraking.

That reporter isn't too far off base:

"(CNN)The "Patriot Party" is somewhere between a meme and a movement of Trump loyalists.

Before it was removed from Facebook, one Patriot Party group had more than 12,000 members. One post that was removed read: "We need to organize our militia ... Wars are won with guns.. an when they silence your commander in chief you are in a war."

The idea and, perhaps just as important, the logo, have been circulating on social media since last summer. But after the Capitol riot and swearing-in of President Joe Biden, Patriot Party groups have formed and multiplied, mostly on Telegram, where they share memes, disinformation and commentary in chaotic channels in all 50 states...

In the last days of his presidency, Donald Trump floated the idea of starting a new party, CNN has reported. The Wall Street Journal reported he wanted to call it the Patriot Party. Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller then told CNN that Trump is not currently considering launching a third party."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/23/politics ... index.html

Could you imagine if Trump indeed starts a third party and names it the Patriot party, or joins the existing Patriot party? It would be similiar to the New England Patriots being named the New England Republicans, except perhaps slightly more controversial.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:33 pm

afcjets wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
afcjets wrote:

That reporter isn't too far off base:

"(CNN)The "Patriot Party" is somewhere between a meme and a movement of Trump loyalists.

Before it was removed from Facebook, one Patriot Party group had more than 12,000 members. One post that was removed read: "We need to organize our militia ... Wars are won with guns.. an when they silence your commander in chief you are in a war."

The idea and, perhaps just as important, the logo, have been circulating on social media since last summer. But after the Capitol riot and swearing-in of President Joe Biden, Patriot Party groups have formed and multiplied, mostly on Telegram, where they share memes, disinformation and commentary in chaotic channels in all 50 states...

In the last days of his presidency, Donald Trump floated the idea of starting a new party, CNN has reported. The Wall Street Journal reported he wanted to call it the Patriot Party. Trump campaign adviser Jason Miller then told CNN that Trump is not currently considering launching a third party."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/23/politics ... index.html

Could you imagine if Trump indeed starts a third party and names it the Patriot party, or joins the existing Patriot party? It would be similiar to the New England Patriots being named the New England Republicans, except perhaps slightly more controversial.

Except it wouldn't because anyone with a brain could see that any Patriot Party group on GETTR or Telegram has no logo associated with a certain NFL team.

NIKV69

Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Everything offends someone so lets just call every sports team by their town. NY Basketball team sounds good.

par13del

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

If you tinker with some rules you may get test cricket back to its lofty lore, the key with the short forms of cricket is that more effort is spent on winning versus not loosing.
Baseball is a numbers game, and unfortunately it is now in a flip situation. Years ago there was a Mendoza line and a limit to how many strike outs one would have in a season, now to hit home runs the line or strike outs are meaningless.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:45 pm

par13del wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

If you tinker with some rules you may get test cricket back to its lofty lore, the key with the short forms of cricket is that more effort is spent on winning versus not loosing.
Baseball is a numbers game, and unfortunately it is now in a flip situation. Years ago there was a Mendoza line and a limit to how many strike outs one would have in a season, now to hit home runs the line or strike outs are meaningless.

OPS superseded batting average in importance awhile ago. I agree that it's not a good change for the game overall. Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers is hitting .160 and still playing every day :boggled: Back in the day that would get you sent to AAA no matter how well you covered ground in CF.

L410Turbolet

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Except it wouldn't because anyone with a brain could see that any Patriot Party group on GETTR or Telegram has no logo associated with a certain NFL team.

Since when is cancel culture guided by logic or reason?

Aaron747

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:45 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Since when is cancel culture guided by logic or reason?

Is that a tiny violin playing somewhere? Who's playing that?

seb146

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:20 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

As a great sportswriter once said, baseball is only boring to those who can't understand it. I actually like cricket a lot, BTW.

I heard someone long ago explain baseball as a game of catch between two people with one person trying to stop it. That is how I have always seen baseball. Person A throw a ball as hard and fast as they can at person B while person C swings a club at the ball to send it as far as possible from anyone. And repeat for like five hours. That is how I see baseball. And people enjoy it. I see the pure joy people get from watching it. But it is not for everyone.

Aesma

Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:17 pm

I watch only F1, which can be boring, but at least the cars are moving most of the time. I can watch football (soccer) from time to time, same, it's moving most of the time. Rugby, american football, baseball, cricket, where play is stopped most of the time, I can't watch.

Kiwirob

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:10 pm

Aesma wrote:
I watch only F1, which can be boring, but at least the cars are moving most of the time. I can watch football (soccer) from time to time, same, it's moving most of the time. Rugby, american football, baseball, cricket, where play is stopped most of the time, I can't watch.

Clearly you’ve never watched a game of rugby, there more action in 20
Minutes than all those other games you mention put together for an entire match. American football has to be the worst of the lot, less than 9 minutes play for an entire game with add breaks that takes 4 hours.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:12 pm

Hey, why isn’t it demeaning to name teams after whites? We have the Celtics, the Vikings (nota nice people they were), Yankees, Fighting Irish, Knights. NY Yankees always confused me and went to lots of their games—New York is NOT Yankee country—it’s NY. Yankees are in New England, specifically, Vermont and in Vermont, Yankees are in the Northeast Kingdom.

FlyEndeavorAir

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:17 pm

Look I'm all for changing outdated names, but can we at least change them to creative names/names that make sense? Can't be that hard.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:27 am

It's funny how there are a few people who are so offended by a name change that they're actually acting like the people they say they hate!

Aaron747

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
Look I'm all for changing outdated names, but can we at least change them to creative names/names that make sense? Can't be that hard.

Anything that isn’t ‘Dodgers’ makes sense. :lol:

Newark727

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:58 am

Aaron747 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Anything that isn’t ‘Dodgers’ makes sense. :lol:

You think that's bad? They used to be called the Brooklyn Bridegrooms!

seahawk

Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:51 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
It's funny how there are a few people who are so offended by a name change that they're actually acting like the people they say they hate!

I am against such moves as they make indigenous people and other minorities invisible. Indians was chosen in honour of Louis Sockalexis (first native American to play in the MLB) and also in recognition of the hardship and racial attacks he had to endure during his career. Now this part of history will be erased.

seb146

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Everything offends someone so lets just call every sports team by their town. NY Basketball team sounds good.

Since there are two basketball teams, two baseball teams, and two hockey teams in New York, no, that would not work. Changing Colorado Rockies to Denver Baseball Team would make everyone in the rest of Colorado feel left out. How about righties stop telling everyone how "liberals" feel?

This thread is going off the rails with righties claiming benign team names are offensive to "liberals". Let's expand the government yet again so the right is happy. They can have a government commission in charge of naming everything because, according to them, "liberals" are so offended by everything.....

seb146

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:44 pm

seahawk wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I am against such moves as they make indigenous people and other minorities invisible. Indians was chosen in honour of Louis Sockalexis (first native American to play in the MLB) and also in recognition of the hardship and racial attacks he had to endure during his career. Now this part of history will be erased.

And it evolved into an offensive caricature. But, wait.... I thought the right was all about cancelling history?

seahawk

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 am

seb146 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

And it evolved into an offensive caricature. But, wait.... I thought the right was all about cancelling history?

You can change the logo without changing the name. (as they already did)