Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Olympic - i.e., summer - Olympic athletes complain of... heat

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:28 pm

Participants in the Games have a few things to say about the high temperatures and humidity currently wracking the Tokyo area.

As someone who remembers the first half of the 1980's, I find this just a dryly hilarious complaint from the contemporary athletes who insist on wearing mile-long "shorts."

flipdewaf

Re: Olympic - i.e., summer - Olympic athletes complain of... heat

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Airstud wrote:

As someone who remembers the first half of the 1980's, I find this just a dryly hilarious complaint from the contemporary athletes who insist on wearing mile-long "shorts."

I don’t understand the comment? The shorts look almost the same as far as I can see.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cpd

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:30 am

Airstud wrote:
Participants in the Games have a few things to say about the high temperatures and humidity currently wracking the Tokyo area.

Alright, let's have you ride a bicycle flat out on a 1.5km course for 45 minutes, with a bell lap at the end in 40ºC and see how you feel at the end.

Aaron747

Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:48 am

Airstud wrote:

Currently wracking? LOL. Over 30C and 80% humidity is every June-September from Tokyo to Okinawa. They obviously did no research.

Japanese people complained about this from the start of the Olympics’ planning. The 1964 Tokyo games were held in early October to spare the athletes and spectators from summer oppression.

CitizenJustin

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:07 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Currently wracking? LOL. Over 30C and 80% humidity is every June-September from Tokyo to Okinawa. They obviously did no research.

Japanese people complained about this from the start of the Olympics’ planning. The 1964 Tokyo games were held in early October to spare the athletes and spectators from summer oppression.

I never knew that about the 1964 games. Brilliant move.

Aaron747

Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:39 am

It just dawned on me - were these athletes seriously preparing for over two years for an event without anyone on the team checking what Tokyo weather is like in summer? Unbelievable.

cpd

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:07 am

Aaron747 wrote:
It just dawned on me - were these athletes seriously preparing for over two years for an event without anyone on the team checking what Tokyo weather is like in summer? Unbelievable.

The Australian team was preparing for it.

B777LRF

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 am

cpd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Cold weather training?

Kiwirob

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:36 am

cpd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It’s shouldn’t be an issue for Australians with summer temps in many places in Aussie far exceeding Tokyo.

Aaron747

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:01 am

Kiwirob wrote:
cpd wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It’s shouldn’t be an issue for Australians with summer temps in many places in Aussie far exceeding Tokyo.

The issue is the humidity. Tropical storm arriving this week will make it 90%+ for three days.

GDB

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:16 am

Just shows that in 1964 the IOC did not have the sway, were not the overbearing, mobile financial wrecking ball with a far from unimpeachable record on corruption of recent decades.
They even apparently were pissed off when the BBC got the coverage for London in 2012 due to the network not running adverts, though Channel 4 who do got and heavily promoted, more than the IOC, the paralympics.

Logically with this pandemic they should reset to 2022, they’ve had to reset before, that they managed to railroad a major nation like Japan shows they are too powerful, way more interested in TV rights and so in their bubble they don’t seem to think that imposing this on a country where over 80% there don’t want it or just delayed, won’t further tarnish their ‘brand’.

Airontario

Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:03 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

I'm sure the countries with well developed sports programs were preparing correctly. I know in Canada there has been a lot of talk about the heat. I just saw one of the men's rugby 7s players talk about how they've been training outside during the recent heat wave in Western Canada, then they'd go into an indoor facility where they turned up the heat and humidity even higher so that they'd be prepared for the conditions.

I guess the problem will come with some of the countries without Olympic programs that have the resources to do that.

seb146

Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Ever tried doing anything in 100F heat? Even sitting is exhausting. As far as clothing choices, women are wearing more and more because they are tired of being sexualized and want to be taken seriously.

NIKV69

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:38 am

seb146 wrote:
Ever tried doing anything in 100F heat? Even sitting is exhausting. As far as clothing choices, women are wearing more and more because they are tired of being sexualized and want to be taken seriously.

Makes me respect Ken Venturi all that more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_U.S._Open_(golf)

stl07

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Same thing is happening with the Doha World Cup

cpd

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 am

seb146 wrote:

Yes, I'd ride home from work (50km) on a bicycle at 4:30pm in the afternoon in summer in 40ºC at around 30km/h average speed, sometimes a bit more. 40ºC is 104ºF.

You get used to it and you just remember to stay hydrated and definitely use sunscreen.

Also ridden up a big mountain in 30ºC with no shade, that wasn't fun. Terrible rough "road" too. But given I have ridden in much higher temperatures I handled it okay.

Hottest I've ridden in was 46ºC, nearing home after 165km.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:55 am

seb146 wrote:

Which women are those? There’s a Team GB paraolympian who was told her shorts were too small, she’s been wearing the same shorts for years, they are the same shorts all other Team GB female athletic team members can wear. Women have the choice to wear what they want, look at athletes from muslim countries they are well covered, which obviously means women can cover if they want too, it appears most choose not to, but to say they don’t have a choice is clearly wrong and you are mansplaining.

Reinhardt

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 am

Tennis players asked why the matches are being held in the mid afternoon, when starting early evening would be perfectly possible. I haven't seen it but apparently normal break lengths between games and little to no help from organisers. It would probably suit the US / EU TV market better as well. Yes the players put up with the heat in Australia but the humidity I think is something else. Seems rather over the top what we expect of these people. You also won't get as good a match.

B777LRF

Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Which women are those? There’s a Team GB paraolympian who was told her shorts were too small, she’s been wearing the same shorts for years, they are the same shorts all other Team GB female athletic team members can wear. Women have the choice to wear what they want, look at athletes from muslim countries they are well covered, which obviously means women can cover if they want too, it appears most choose not to, but to say they don’t have a choice is clearly wrong and you are mansplaining.

The Norwegian female beach handball team got fined for wearing shorts that were too large. There are also rules governing the "uniform" female beach volleyball players have to wear. All for the sake of showing plenty of arse to dirty old men, in order to get higher ratings.

So, no, women cannot freely wear what they like, and athletes from Muslim countries with strict dress codes simply don't enter in those competitions.

B777LRF

Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 am

Fair enough, but that doesn't distract from the fact the Norwegian female beach handball team was issued a fine for wearing the wrong (non-pervy) kind of shorts.

melpax

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
cpd wrote:

The issue is the humidity. Tropical storm arriving this week will make it 90%+ for three days.

A lot of the Aussie team spent time up in Cairns to acclimatise just before heading up to Tokyo. Weather in Cairns isn't much different from Tokyo in Summer (i.e. bloody humid!).

Thankfully the Marathon will be in Sapporo, I felt sorry for the Road Race cyclists over the weekend, wouldn't have suprised me if a few of them were put on drips after their races to rehydrate....

NIKV69

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:29 pm

B777LRF wrote:
Fair enough, but that doesn't distract from the fact the Norwegian female beach handball team was issued a fine for wearing the wrong (non-pervy) kind of shorts.

Just because some men can't control their animalistic behavior doesn't make the outfit pervy it makes the man pervy.

BaconButty

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:32 pm

From a sporting integrity point of view, shouldn't they be avoiding extremes like this? I know it's called the summer Olympics, but it's been held in both hemispheres so by definition it's a misnomer.

There's a similar thing in football. It originated as a winter sport in the UK, goodness knows I've frozen my bollocks off at plenty of miserable January games over the years. But they usually play the world cup somewhere exotic in July. At least it's South America or South Africa occasionally.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:50 pm

B777LRF wrote:

I hope you’re never anywhere near a beach or swimming pool if you find the beach volleyball or handball clothing pervy, lord only knows what a women in a bikini would do to you!

NIKV69

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

I hope you’re never anywhere near a beach or swimming pool if you find the beach volleyball or handball clothing pervy, lord only knows what a women in a bikini would do to you!

I was just about to say the same thing. You ever been to spring break?

FGITD

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:28 pm

There’s a huge difference between wearing something on your own time/choice and the IOC issuing a fine because your shorts are too long.

Honestly, give 1 good reason why they absolutely MUST wear the bikini bottom style.

Kiwirob

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:13 pm

FGITD wrote:
There’s a huge difference between wearing something on your own time/choice and the IOC issuing a fine because your shorts are too long.

Honestly, give 1 good reason why they absolutely MUST wear the bikini bottom style.

The IOC didn’t issue the Norwegian beach handball women a fine, the European Handball Federation did.

As I said earlier it’s a beach sport, wearing beach clothing shouldn’t be an issue, it’s not ballroom dancing.

c933103

Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:25 pm

BaconButty wrote:
From a sporting integrity point of view, shouldn't they be avoiding extremes like this? I know it's called the summer Olympics, but it's been held in both hemispheres so by definition it's a misnomer.

There's a similar thing in football. It originated as a winter sport in the UK, goodness knows I've frozen my bollocks off at plenty of miserable January games over the years. But they usually play the world cup somewhere exotic in July. At least it's South America or South Africa occasionally.

CitizenJustin wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

They have to keep it around July and August this time to satisfy demand from American broadcaster who want the game to not colide with schedule of other seasonal events like NBA or NFL or MLB, according to my understanding

As a side effect of this, other than temperature and humidity, a typhoon is coming close to Japan tomorrow (Of course the typhoon itswlf also contributed to the heat)

Also, while it's expected for places from Tokyo to Okinawa, probably not as much expected Hokkaido to hit over 35°C too where events like Marathon are being moved to, in an attempt to get lower temperature.

FGITD

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
FGITD wrote:

The IOC didn’t issue the Norwegian beach handball women a fine, the European Handball Federation did.

As I said earlier it’s a beach sport, wearing beach clothing shouldn’t be an issue, it’s not ballroom dancing.

My mistake.

Plenty of women wear shorts-style bathing suits to the beach these days. So no, saying that it’s played on a beach therefore you must wear a small bikini bottom is still not a valid reason.

Is there a specific reason why the players can’t just be given the choice? Long shorts or bikini bottom

Aaron747

Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:05 pm

FGITD wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
FGITD wrote:

My mistake.

Plenty of women wear shorts-style bathing suits to the beach these days. So no, saying that it’s played on a beach therefore you must wear a small bikini bottom is still not a valid reason.

Is there a specific reason why the players can’t just be given the choice? Long shorts or bikini bottom

Yup, that reason would be misogyny.

cpd

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:06 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Then make the men wear similar too instead of the baggy shorts they are allowed to wear.

Good on the Norwegian team for taking the stand that they did. I’ll throw in some money to help pay their fine.

melpax wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

A lot of the Aussie team spent time up in Cairns to acclimatise just before heading up to Tokyo. Weather in Cairns isn't much different from Tokyo in Summer (i.e. bloody humid!).

Thankfully the Marathon will be in Sapporo, I felt sorry for the Road Race cyclists over the weekend, wouldn't have suprised me if a few of them were put on drips after their races to rehydrate....

Meh, those road race cyclists are tough, they know how to deal with it. I’ve ridden and trained with a lot of elite riders over the years - the conditions can be tough but they know how to deal with it. They train for this sort of stuff and have all of the best advice to help them in preparation.

Also, the cycling gear we wear is very good in hot conditions. Manufacturers of the very top elite cycling kit make special skin suits / shorts / jerseys for use in extreme heat. They work. I have some of that stuff and do use it in 40°C heat. It helps a lot.

B777LRF

Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

NIKV69 wrote:
I was just about to say the same thing. You ever been to spring break?

I'm from Denmark, and for as long as I can remember both men and women have been enjoying the beach in little or no attire; I'm as far from being prudish as you can get. It is the Norwegian (and other) teams who've expressed displeasure with the attire, calling them pervy, not me. I just happen to support them.

No, not being an American I've never been to spring break. Been to plenty of other places which can easily outdo it though, and rather enjoyed it thank you very much.

ltbewr

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 pm

It would be interesting to get to the reasoning why the games in Japan were scheduled o be held in late July-early August.
Was it pressure from the USA's Comcast/NBC network who didn't want their exclusive coverage of National Football League games on Sunday nights in Sept.-Dec.(likely the USA's TV coverage is very profitable and important to advertisers) ?
Was it pressure from Japan's politicians and business interests ?
Perhaps by the IOC, other countries where major religious, sports or political conflicts ?
Its too bad the athletes couldn't have a say, especially those events to be done outdoors in daylight hours..

Aaron747

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:14 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It would be interesting to get to the reasoning why the games in Japan were scheduled o be held in late July-early August.
Was it pressure from the USA's Comcast/NBC network who didn't want their exclusive coverage of National Football League games on Sunday nights in Sept.-Dec.(likely the USA's TV coverage is very profitable and important to advertisers) ?
Was it pressure from Japan's politicians and business interests ?
Perhaps by the IOC, other countries where major religious, sports or political conflicts ?
Its too bad the athletes couldn't have a say, especially those events to be done outdoors in daylight hours..

As already stated in the thread, the main reason was IOC bending over for NBC.

Some of the mitigation by the Japanese planners was laughably dumb. Of course moving the marathon events to Hokkaido was wise, but installing misting devices around the village is plain silly. All that does is make the ground wet, which increases localized humidity.

Also it is commonplace to set thermostats to 28C in Japan to keep energy use down in summer. That temperature is too high for indoor athletic events in high humidity.

PixelPilot

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
FGITD wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

My mistake.

Have you watched a music video of female artists lately?
Or their Instagram?
Or their TikTok?

It's called money making template.
As many women preach this style and behavior as men.
You gotta move with the times and stop repeating the same nonsense.
Nobody has any "dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women." in this scenario.

I say let them wear whatever they want but don't complain if viewership/sponsorship goes down.
There's a reason beach volleyball exists next to the "original one" and it surely didn't originate in Antarctica.
Last edited by PixelPilot on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron747

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:23 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

My mistake.

Or their Instagram?
Or their TikTok?

Nobody has any "dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women." in this scenario.

I say let them wear whatever they want but don't complain if viewership goes down.
There's a reason beach volleyball exists next to the "original one" and it didn't originate in Antarctica.

Junk pop appealing to teens and wannabe gold diggers on social media are not in the same league as professional athletes, period. It is the active choice of the former to put themselves out that way.

A panel of men saying women can’t decide what is best for their own competitive attire (and issuing fines for non-compliance) is a form of misogyny and I gladly stand by that.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seb146

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:37 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

My mistake.

Or their Instagram?
Or their TikTok?

I say let them wear whatever they want but don't complain if viewership/sponsorship goes down.
There's a reason beach volleyball exists next to the "original one" and it surely didn't originate in Antarctica.

Look at the difference in reactions between songs by Lil' John and Tyga versus reactions to songs by Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion. All have songs about going to the club, getting drunk, smoking pot, hooking up with some random person but people are outraged, for some reason, that the females are performing these songs.

Same thing here. No fines and no complaints over men switching to longer swim wear or longer shorts for basketball.

Virtual737

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:07 pm

I have an idea, when the Olympics is in the northern hemisphere, why don't they hold it in December / January time. They could call it the Winter Olympics. I'll see if the domain name is available.