Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16480
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 pm

TokyoImperialPa wrote:
par13del wrote:
So two basic questions, how much more folks will the Taliban allow to leave, after all, it is their country to run and for it to be a country it requires people, if so many people want to leave and the majority of them are / were foreigners, what exactly were they doing in country and is this where the billions were spent?

Second question, we all know that the USA basic military tactic once in country is overwhelming fire support, once they have drawn down the bulk of those supports, how are they going to extend the 31st deadline without bring back more of that combat firepower? Going out into Kabul or the country side to collect folks in an active combat zones requires a lot of co-ordination, little bird helicopters are one thing, they are vulnerable to Stingers, RPG's and heavy machine guns, those all have to be suppressed, which requires more combat power. B-52's are not much help in Kabul. So unless we see the USA flying in more combat troops, artillery pieces and other combat equipment, the 31st is not only a political but a military logistical hard line in the sand.


1) The Taliban have always said that those with documentation from foreign countries would be allowed to leave. The question has never referred to foreign citizens, it has been about foreign visa holders and those eligible for normal foreign visas. I doubt that the Taliban would allow asylum seekers and the like to leave Afghanistan through Kabul Airport.

2) The US will be leaving on the 31st August, with all resources being poured into those citizens who want to leave before the deadline. Anyone who wants to stay or people such as US visa holders would be left to deal with the Afghani emigration system without US embassy support as any normal US visa holder would need to.


The Kabul US embassy was starkly warning Americans in-country to leave at the end of April. There has been plenty of time to get out - one has to imagine most of those still behind have family or other obligations remaining in-country.
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3558
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:28 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/asia/afg ... index.html

Blast outside of the airport. Sadly this was predictable. Untold amount of casualties.
 
johns624
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:50 pm

This whole story doesn't make any sense.
https://www.businessinsider.com/two-doz ... %20More%20
I keep reading different slants to this story. The first ones made it sound like it was a school trip, which would make it totally irresponsible. Then, another story said that they were visiting extended family, which is plausible if there is an Afghan ex-pat group in that area (I don't know). Now, this story says that they were traveling on military visas, which I don't understand. It almost looks like the whole "student" thing is a slant to try to get sympathy.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16480
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:55 pm

johns624 wrote:
This whole story doesn't make any sense.
https://www.businessinsider.com/two-doz ... %20More%20
I keep reading different slants to this story. The first ones made it sound like it was a school trip, which would make it totally irresponsible. Then, another story said that they were visiting extended family, which is plausible if there is an Afghan ex-pat group in that area (I don't know). Now, this story says that they were traveling on military visas, which I don't understand. It almost looks like the whole "student" thing is a slant to try to get sympathy.


Sounds like nonsense. Who in their right mind would sign permission slips for their kids to visit AFG like this? Smell a rat.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16480
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 pm

william wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/asia/afghanistan-kabul-airport-blast-intl/index.html

Blast outside of the airport. Sadly this was predictable. Untold amount of casualties.


Terrible, but unfortunately suicide bombings have been par for the course in AFG for years. Could be anything from splinter groups to drone victims looking for payback.
 
avier
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:49 pm

If any foreign national, especially US national, is affected by these blasts, expect huge international outcry over this.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14155
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
william wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/asia/afghanistan-kabul-airport-blast-intl/index.html

Blast outside of the airport. Sadly this was predictable. Untold amount of casualties.


Terrible, but unfortunately suicide bombings have been par for the course in AFG for years. Could be anything from splinter groups to drone victims looking for payback.


It could be anything. Either way, I doubt we will find out too much.
 
Cadet985
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:45 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 pm

No link yet, but Fox is reporting 4 U.S. Marines KIA at Kabul Airport.

Biden needs to cancel the pullout and ramp up troop numbers, or his entire administration needs to resign immediately.

His actions are now costing American lives.

Marc
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24076
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:18 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
This whole story doesn't make any sense.
https://www.businessinsider.com/two-doz ... %20More%20
I keep reading different slants to this story. The first ones made it sound like it was a school trip, which would make it totally irresponsible. Then, another story said that they were visiting extended family, which is plausible if there is an Afghan ex-pat group in that area (I don't know). Now, this story says that they were traveling on military visas, which I don't understand. It almost looks like the whole "student" thing is a slant to try to get sympathy.


Sounds like nonsense. Who in their right mind would sign permission slips for their kids to visit AFG like this? Smell a rat.


There are Afghanis who helped out the US military during the occupation and some of those people were granted citizenship. The occupation started about 20 years ago, so it is possible these kids are full American citizens, born on American soil but they have extended family across Afghanistan. Maybe granting military visas to these Americans would give them privileges' the average Afghani there does not have? Special protections above and beyond an American passport?
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24076
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:21 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
No link yet, but Fox is reporting 4 U.S. Marines KIA at Kabul Airport.

Biden needs to cancel the pullout and ramp up troop numbers, or his entire administration needs to resign immediately.

His actions are now costing American lives.

Marc


Thousands of American service members have died over the two decades we have been occupying Afghanistan. Zero calls for entire administrations to resign until now. A one sided deal that favors the Taliban was made by the previous administration. There is no reason for American military to continue to occupy Afghanistan. It is a waste of money and a waste of resources. It has been for the past 20 years.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
No link yet, but Fox is reporting 4 U.S. Marines KIA at Kabul Airport.

Biden needs to cancel the pullout and ramp up troop numbers, or his entire administration needs to resign immediately.

His actions are now costing American lives.

Marc


Here is the link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghanista ... 1629976397

4 Marines killed 3 wounded. RIP.

Unfortunate what has happened, there was zero US military deaths since February 2020.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 pm

At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14556
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:29 pm

seb146 wrote:

Thousands of American service members have died over the two decades we have been occupying Afghanistan. Zero calls for entire administrations to resign until now. A one sided deal that favors the Taliban was made by the previous administration. There is no reason for American military to continue to occupy Afghanistan. It is a waste of money and a waste of resources. It has been for the past 20 years.


This post is pure denial and it's fine for history and the people will judge Biden accordingly.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:36 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


It is not surprising, given that Afghanistan is in chaos. One of the things about chaos is the lowest life forms are allowed to surface. RIP to the service members, who were only doing their jobs to the best of their abilities to try to help Afghanistan.

To the extent that Afghanistan can incubate terror cells, the US will continue to intervene directly from the sky, from space etc. We are back to square one in Afghanistan. We should have been willing to work with Taliban all along, rather than micro managing Afghanistan politics... IMO. It's none of our business anyhow. But the terror cells are everyone's business, and we are pretty good at squashing them.
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Saw a enlightening interview with General H. R. McMaster on BBC television. If he's right, we (the West) are so scre***.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:47 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


It is not surprising, given that Afghanistan is in chaos. One of the things about chaos is the lowest life forms are allowed to surface. RIP to the service members, who were only doing their jobs to the best of their abilities to try to help Afghanistan.

To the extent that Afghanistan can incubate terror cells, the US will continue to intervene directly from the sky, from space etc. We are back to square one in Afghanistan. We should have been willing to work with Taliban all along, rather than micro managing Afghanistan politics... IMO. It's none of our business anyhow. But the terror cells are everyone's business, and we are pretty good at squashing them.


Maybe future intervention will involve drone attacks only? Seems like the most efficient way to strike those terror cells with the least risk to own personnel and equipment.
 
winginit
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:02 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


Either provide a source or don't post. I'm not seeing ten anywhere.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:05 pm

winginit wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


Either provide a source or don't post. I'm not seeing ten anywhere.


Sorry.

https://www.reuters.com/
 
afcjets
Posts: 3846
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:10 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
The Kabul US embassy was starkly warning Americans in-country to leave at the end of April. There has been plenty of time to get out - one has to imagine most of those still behind have family or other obligations remaining in-country.


Yes, because they risk the Taliban killing their families if they leave.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14841
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:16 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


It is not surprising, given that Afghanistan is in chaos. One of the things about chaos is the lowest life forms are allowed to surface. RIP to the service members, who were only doing their jobs to the best of their abilities to try to help Afghanistan.

To the extent that Afghanistan can incubate terror cells, the US will continue to intervene directly from the sky, from space etc. We are back to square one in Afghanistan. We should have been willing to work with Taliban all along, rather than micro managing Afghanistan politics... IMO. It's none of our business anyhow. But the terror cells are everyone's business, and we are pretty good at squashing them.


Maybe future intervention will involve drone attacks only? Seems like the most efficient way to strike those terror cells with the least risk to own personnel and equipment.


You need someone on the ground (someones) to know who to shoot.
 
AirWorthy99
Posts: 1423
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:19 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


It is not surprising, given that Afghanistan is in chaos. One of the things about chaos is the lowest life forms are allowed to surface. RIP to the service members, who were only doing their jobs to the best of their abilities to try to help Afghanistan.

To the extent that Afghanistan can incubate terror cells, the US will continue to intervene directly from the sky, from space etc. We are back to square one in Afghanistan. We should have been willing to work with Taliban all along, rather than micro managing Afghanistan politics... IMO. It's none of our business anyhow. But the terror cells are everyone's business, and we are pretty good at squashing them.


You and I agree on many things, but not on this.

Trusting the Taliban for anything is stupid. They did not help with OBL, and much less today when 12+ American service members were killed, you think they would want to work with us?. I am having difficulty believing the suicide bombers just past their aggressive checkpoints. Something smells strange and they may have had something to do with that, or one of their groups within them.

Afghanistan will become or is rapidly becoming the hotbed for terrorism it was before 2001. Yes we all wanted out, but not this way.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20193
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:25 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Afghanistan will become or is rapidly becoming the hotbed for terrorism it was before 2001. Yes we all wanted out, but not this way.


Afghanistan was going to revert to type as soon as the West left. The army & police were hopeless.

Please enlighten us as to how it should have been done?
 
skyservice_330
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:50 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 pm

Terrible news, though not unexpected.. it was only a matter of time.

With the killing of children and American service members, hopefully white supremacist's, QAnon types, and far right conservatives will end their wink wink, nudge nudge championing of the Taliban, as was seen in some quarters in the early days of their takeover of AFG.

Shared bigotry and chauvinism can only go so far, I hope, when they starting blowing up US marines.
 
marcelh
Posts: 1578
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:36 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Thousands of American service members have died over the two decades we have been occupying Afghanistan. Zero calls for entire administrations to resign until now. A one sided deal that favors the Taliban was made by the previous administration. There is no reason for American military to continue to occupy Afghanistan. It is a waste of money and a waste of resources. It has been for the past 20 years.


This post is pure denial and it's fine for history and the people will judge Biden accordingly.


Trump would have done much better…….
 
johns624
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
No link yet, but Fox is reporting 4 U.S. Marines KIA at Kabul Airport.

Biden needs to cancel the pullout and ramp up troop numbers, or his entire administration needs to resign immediately.

His actions are now costing American lives.

Marc
How many more lives will be lost if we "ramp up troop numbers"? No, we need to get out and forget the place exists until the time that someone comes from there and attacks us. Then we go in, and go in hard, kill who we need to, and then leave. All as fast as possible. None of this "hearts and minds", "nation building" BS. We can't save everybody from themselves and they don't deserve it.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20193
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:38 pm

marcelh wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Thousands of American service members have died over the two decades we have been occupying Afghanistan. Zero calls for entire administrations to resign until now. A one sided deal that favors the Taliban was made by the previous administration. There is no reason for American military to continue to occupy Afghanistan. It is a waste of money and a waste of resources. It has been for the past 20 years.


This post is pure denial and it's fine for history and the people will judge Biden accordingly.


Trump would have done much better…….


Nah, he’d be too busy on the golf course.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:40 pm

 
johns624
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:55 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
Did you read the post just below the first one? The one by the same poster who said his roommate thought it was a sonic boom?
 
chimborazo
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:57 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MohawkWeekend wrote:
Things seem to be taking a dangerous turn with the Taliban banning Afghans from leaving and the firm date of Allies gone by 8/31. Understand US is already pulling some troops out.

On August 29th, I'd start flying B-52's and B-1's in patterns over the airport so this doesn't turn in to Dunkirk.


Lacking an ocean and small fishing boats, it won’t be Dunkirk. Anyone, US, TCN or Afghan who worked with the US, will be at the tender mercy of the Taliban. The economy is imploding, the Taliban doesn’t have a clue how to fix it; they’ll get desperate soon and foreigners will be ransom bait.

What, precisely, would you order a B-52 commander to bomb?


I was going to say Corregidor but only a General and his staff were evacuated. More like the Chosin Reservoir. But we still used boats to evacuate the Marines, Brits and ROK troops.

I'm keeping those bombers in the air so those last C-17's leaving on 8/31 aren't mortared on the ramps like Khe Sahn. I imagine the airport perimeter on the 31st will be collapsing as the last paratroopers are loaded up. Maybe the Turks can stay and provide cover.

FYI - you can probably tell I'm a firm believer in "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it,” plus I read alot and watch Mark Felton


I suspect there will have been A LOT of $$$$$$ handed over to get where we are now (notwithstanding the person(s) who is “with their god” after blowing themselves up today) with plenty more $$$ to follow in the understanding no planes are shot down amd that the Taliban keep everyone out until the last wing vortex kisses the tarmac at Kabul. That’s quite possibly what the CIA head was discussing there. As noted above: $$$ are the only thing they understand, the only common denominator that gets things done.

I really hope for the people of Afghanistan, the regular folk like most of us on here, just living our lives, that the Taliban do as they say they will.

Approx 80,000 Taliban overtake a country of 38 million people… even stripping out “women, children and elderly” (I hate that distinction but it has merit here), did regular Afghans really care little enough about their country and themselves to let this happen? Noted above about how the army functioned… if people (as a nation group) can’t help themselves, no one can.
 
chimborazo
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:00 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
I just read about Glenn Beck’s charitable flight to help refugees. BUT, there’s a catch! You have to be a Christian convert. If you subscribe to a different Abrahamic faith, sorry, you and your family are out of luck. Of course Glenn couldn’t just do the right thing and help anyone who needs it. No, you have to subscribe to the ancient superstitions that he adheres to.


On what basis would you decide who gets to get out, with limited resources? Please describe your hierarchy of who to select to bring out. I don’t agree with their thinking but… Theme of this thread and why it’s all happening… tribalism.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9886
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:01 pm

johns624 wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
Did you read the post just below the first one? The one by the same poster who said his roommate thought it was a sonic boom?


Yes, it’s speculation so far.

Edit: possibly the US striking back https://twitter.com/mattaikins/status/1 ... 01895?s=21
Last edited by AirPacific747 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14841
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:03 pm

The other day we got some more details about the French embassy's evacuation : French and other foreigners weren't part of the bussing as was previously thought. The US provided helicopters to fly them to the airport. Once there the ambassador set up a temporary embassy and started working on getting the Afghan staff out. That's where negotiations with the Taliban (apparently a group or radical Taliban, yes there is such a thing) took place, that led to bussing 350 people from the embassy to the airport. Reportedly, 300$ per head was paid.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14155
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:52 pm

More than 60 were killed included 12 US marines.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/afg ... index.html

Evacuations will continue.
 
cpd
Posts: 6824
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:32 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
AirPacific747 wrote:
At least ten US service members killed according to latest news now. This will have to be revenged.


It is not surprising, given that Afghanistan is in chaos. One of the things about chaos is the lowest life forms are allowed to surface. RIP to the service members, who were only doing their jobs to the best of their abilities to try to help Afghanistan.

To the extent that Afghanistan can incubate terror cells, the US will continue to intervene directly from the sky, from space etc. We are back to square one in Afghanistan. We should have been willing to work with Taliban all along, rather than micro managing Afghanistan politics... IMO. It's none of our business anyhow. But the terror cells are everyone's business, and we are pretty good at squashing them.


You and I agree on many things, but not on this.

Trusting the Taliban for anything is stupid. They did not help with OBL, and much less today when 12+ American service members were killed, you think they would want to work with us?. I am having difficulty believing the suicide bombers just past their aggressive checkpoints. Something smells strange and they may have had something to do with that, or one of their groups within them.

Afghanistan will become or is rapidly becoming the hotbed for terrorism it was before 2001. Yes we all wanted out, but not this way.


Now it looks like we will have Taliban -v- ISIS-K.

What could possibly go wrong? This pullout championed by Trump and his lot and now done by the current government could only lead to a catastrophe.
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:42 pm

In the interview with General McMaster on BBC today, he offered that he had thought the attack would occur on Friday which is a Holy Day for martyrs. Hope this wasn't a warm up.

My biggest fear is a mortar/rocket attack now. Not sure why some aircraft are dispensing flares on takeoff - no manpads were in the theatre, yes?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14155
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Well all the Hawks should be happy.
Biden just promised to hunt down whoever is responsible, and will give the miltiary the assets they need.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/afg ... index.html

President Biden left the door open for more military assistance in Afghanistan during remarks Thursday following an attack at Kabul airport that killed more than 60 people, including 12 US service members.

"I've instructed the military with whatever they need if they need additional force, I will grant it. But the military, from the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the Joint Chiefs, the commanders in the field, have all contacted me one way or another usually by letter saying they subscribe to the mission as designed," Biden said during remarks from White House.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14841
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:01 pm

What will really happen is the CIA and other agencies will do the work. It might involve deals with the Taliban.

Nothing much for the military industrial complex aside from some drone munitions.
 
johns624
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:07 pm

cpd wrote:

Now it looks like we will have Taliban -v- ISIS-K.

What could possibly go wrong?
You make it sound like that's a bad thing. As long as they're killing each other, they aren't bothering anyone else.
 
travaz
Posts: 1136
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:14 pm

:o Yes Isis and Taliban should just take a look what Joe did to Corn pop.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1359
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:47 pm

casinterest wrote:
Well all the Hawks should be happy.
Biden just promised to hunt down whoever is responsible, and will give the miltiary the assets they need.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/afg ... index.html

President Biden left the door open for more military assistance in Afghanistan during remarks Thursday following an attack at Kabul airport that killed more than 60 people, including 12 US service members.

"I've instructed the military with whatever they need if they need additional force, I will grant it. But the military, from the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the Joint Chiefs, the commanders in the field, have all contacted me one way or another usually by letter saying they subscribe to the mission as designed," Biden said during remarks from White House.


Yet another blunder. Suddenly ISIS-K is playing the American president like a marionette. This is after Biden talked about extending the deadline, then bowing to Taliban demands not to do that. Somebody needs to rescue this guy.

Why are we there anyway? Do we have any right to be there?

Biden… Frankly, he is out of his league. It’s not like he is a proven or effective leader. He is an average senator with an average at best family. That’s being kind. An amazing fact about Biden - during the fall of Saigon in 1975, he was a US Senator then!!

Buttigieg is a lot smarter and won every debate he was in. Biden desperately needs capable people to take over this pagaent. This isn’t Instagram or the Hallmark channel, it is real life. A lot of people need to be fired. I think Buttigieg and people like him need to do an intervention.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8584
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:00 am

America is harmless as an enemy, treacherous as a friend

late Bernard Lewis
 
johns624
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:01 am

LCDFlight wrote:

Why are we there anyway? Do we have any right to be there?

Why haven't you been asking that for the last 5 years?
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 869
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:33 am

Cadet985 wrote:
No link yet, but Fox is reporting 4 U.S. Marines KIA at Kabul Airport.

Biden needs to cancel the pullout and ramp up troop numbers, or his entire administration needs to resign immediately.

His actions are now costing American lives.

Marc


Resign? You’re being slightly dramatic. Biden is one man and can’t control everything in Afghanistan. The situation on the ground is chaotic and of course there will be casualties. That’s the reality of war. Did you also expect any former president to resign when they had to make tough war time decisions that inevitably led to the deaths of Americans? Or, is this reserved for Biden? He’s not going to resign, nor should he be required to.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16480
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:59 am

Leon Panetta was telling CNN tonight that we'll have to 'go back into Afghanistan to get ISIS'. I wish these hawks who got us into this mess would keep their traps shut until the current evac and drawdown op is completed.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/afgha ... 32307.html
 
JJJ
Posts: 4118
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:48 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Leon Panetta was telling CNN tonight that we'll have to 'go back into Afghanistan to get ISIS'. I wish these hawks who got us into this mess would keep their traps shut until the current evac and drawdown op is completed.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/afgha ... 32307.html


All they have to do now is train the Taliban and get them billions in the latest gear.

What could go wrong?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20193
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 am

[code][/code]
johns624 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Why are we there anyway? Do we have any right to be there?

Why haven't you been asking that for the last 5 years?


Why haven’t you been asking that for the last 20 years?
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 20193
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:52 am

[photoid][/photoid]
Aaron747 wrote:
Leon Panetta was telling CNN tonight that we'll have to 'go back into Afghanistan to get ISIS'. I wish these hawks who got us into this mess would keep their traps shut until the current evac and drawdown op is completed.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/afgha ... 32307.html


What’s the old adage about not learning from the past? Still, when there’s billions in contracts to be won…
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:56 am

LIVE: A view of Kabul airport a day after twin blasts

Reuters Feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr4SLj8tFcI
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14841
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:25 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Leon Panetta was telling CNN tonight that we'll have to 'go back into Afghanistan to get ISIS'. I wish these hawks who got us into this mess would keep their traps shut until the current evac and drawdown op is completed.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/afgha ... 32307.html


Yeah and present a really detailed and costed proposal of that mission.
 
chimborazo
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: Taliban rapidly taking over Afghanistan.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:42 am

casinterest wrote:
Well all the Hawks should be happy.
Biden just promised to hunt down whoever is responsible, and will give the miltiary the assets they need.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/afg ... index.html

President Biden left the door open for more military assistance in Afghanistan during remarks Thursday following an attack at Kabul airport that killed more than 60 people, including 12 US service members.

"I've instructed the military with whatever they need if they need additional force, I will grant it. But the military, from the chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the Joint Chiefs, the commanders in the field, have all contacted me one way or another usually by letter saying they subscribe to the mission as designed," Biden said during remarks from White House.


Does he not understand the meaning of “suicide bomber”…?

So they won’t be hunting the direct perpetrators down… how are they going to investigate who organised it when they won’t have people in-country? For all the wealth of remote surveillance available to the USA, it takes people on the ground handing over $$$ to get the information required.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: art, bennett123, Dutchy, Virtual737 and 49 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos