Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69
Topic Author

NY AG releases Cuomo Report

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:17 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/03 ... drew-cuomo

Hardly a shock but to be honest I don't think anything will happen and he will win his next election with at least 50% of the vote. I watched his response and I wasn't impressed. Let's please discuss this without the drama.

CaptHadley

Re: NY AG releases Cuomo Report

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:26 pm

What's there to discuss? He should step down, his own party wants him to step down. This isn't a partisan issue.

skyservice_330

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:29 pm

He should go.

This will add further strength to the wide range of criticism and calls for resignation that Democrats have been sending his way.

Excerpts from a March 2021 article:

Top Dems call on Cuomo to resign amid harassment allegations

By day’s end, the three-term governor had lost the support of almost the entire 29-member New York congressional delegation and a majority of Democrats in the state legislature. None of the desertions hurt more than those of New York’s two U.S. senators, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand.

“Due to the multiple, credible sexual harassment and misconduct allegations, it is clear that Governor Cuomo has lost the confidence of his governing partners and the people of New York,” the Democratic senators wrote in a joint statement. “Governor Cuomo should resign.”
Cuomo’s coalition of critics has expanded geographically and politically, now covering virtually every region in the state and the political power centers of New York City and Washington. Among them are New York City progressive U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; the leader of the House Democratic campaign arm, U.S. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney; Buffalo-based U.S. Rep. Brian Higgins; and a group of Long Island-based state lawmakers who had been Cuomo loyalists.

“The victims of sexual assault concern me more than politics or other narrow considerations, and I believe Governor Cuomo must step aside,” Maloney said.

Ocasio-Cortez, in a joint statement with U.S. Rep. Jamaal Bowman, said that after a new groping allegation against the governor, she was concerned about the safety and well-being of the governor’s staff.

“We believe these women,” they said.

https://apnews.com/article/andrew-cuomo ... 065b1ff260

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
What's there to discuss? He should step down, his own party wants him to step down. This isn't a partisan issue.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I don't know of any progressive political leader that doesn't want him gone yesterday

casinterest

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 pm

Cuomo denies it all and is defiant. Multiple decent Americans across political spectrums are asking him to step down. Not much to see here but another bad politician that wants to continue the lies.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Biden has called on him to resign. Again.

OA412

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:34 pm

I agree with the rest. He should've resigned months ago. I'm not sure there's any goodwill left for him on any side of the aisle.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:35 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:

The Cuomo question to Biden begins at 17:13

https://youtu.be/BsBZBBxSCDo?t=1033

ltbewr

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 pm

I never watch FoxNews, but for once I agreed with part of what a Woman commentator on it said. MSNBC and CNN had male commenters at first, they should have had Women on ASAP to comment. One of her best lines of the Fox News woman commentator was that Cuomo's response was 'manspaining', she generally thought he was trying to BS his way like too many men do when confronted with sexual assault allegations. Of course FoxNews has been bashing Cuomo for years over the sexual allegations and other stuff as a Democrat who supported Biden. Gov. Cuomo also has corruption issues, may have abused his powers and there is loads of blame over the 1000's of deaths of persons in nursing homes early in the pandemic due in part to his polices to empty out the hospitals.

At the least he should not run for a 4th Term, but with calls to resign by Pres. Biden and likely many other party leaders, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz it might be best to do so to limit the allegations to be used by Republicans in their hate campaign and for elections this and next year, to limit the damage from an Impeachment proceeding in the NYS Legislature and to prevent losing the Governorship next year. The Lt. Governor is a woman, a Democrat so would be a good to put her in office now to shut down any more possible risks.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:13 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I never watch FoxNews, but for once I agreed with part of what a Woman commentator on it said. MSNBC and CNN had male commenters at first, they should have had Women on ASAP to comment.

CNN needs a major shakeup. Whoever is calling the shots needs to be fired between this, bringing Toobin back, and the Cuomo-Cuomo patty-cake mess. Definitely not the magnitude of the Murdoch-Ailes' rape-news-network, but certainly directionally similar.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:23 pm

casinterest wrote:
Cuomo denies it all and is defiant. Multiple decent Americans across political spectrums are asking him to step down. Not much to see here but another bad politician that wants to continue the lies.

He’ll brazen it out and, maybe, bow out of his fourth re-election campaign. Nobody in NY state politics has the guts to impeach him (the legislature has been slow rolling it all year); he sure won’t resign, by doing so, he’d admit he was lying and wrong. Not bloody likely.

The AG report has loads of information, interviews, collaboration, but didn’t call for indictment. Because there was no indictment the AG can present evidence that doesn’t necessarily meet the criminal or civil standards of guilt. He is off on a technicality.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:56 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

I don't know of any progressive political leader that doesn't want him gone yesterday

They hated him before the sexual harassment allegations. Mostly because even though he is a heel his fiscal policies are sound and progressives don't like that.

MaverickM11 wrote:

He didn't say he should resign he just gave a half hearted yes when asked if his statement when these allegations first broke that if the AG said she found he committed sexual harassments that he should resign still stands. You can tell Biden wants no part of this.

MaverickM11 wrote:
CNN needs a major shakeup. Whoever is calling the shots needs to be fired between this, bringing Toobin back, and the Cuomo-Cuomo patty-cake mess. Definitely not the magnitude of the Murdoch-Ailes' rape-news-network, but certainly directionally similar.

There was so many conflicts of interest that were just ignored but then again CNN is about one thing. Getting democrats elected and re-elected so.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
He’ll brazen it out and, maybe, bow out of his fourth re-election campaign. Nobody in NY state politics has the guts to impeach him (the legislature has been slow rolling it all year); he sure won’t resign, by doing so, he’d admit he was lying and wrong. Not bloody likely.

The AG report has loads of information, interviews, collaboration, but didn’t call for indictment. Because there was no indictment the AG can present evidence that doesn’t necessarily meet the criminal or civil standards of guilt. He is off on a technicality.

Cuomo will never resign. Will he run for another term? Hard to say but I think he will. I also think he will win. One thing to take from this is if you have the support of your voters you can hold the line. I was actually surprised Franked walked away from his career for something much much less than what Cuomo did. He didn't have to IMO and I can't stand him but he got a raw deal.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:33 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
I never watch FoxNews, but for once I agreed with part of what a Woman commentator on it said. MSNBC and CNN had male commenters at first, they should have had Women on ASAP to comment.

Based on what is now out in the AG report, CNN at the very least needs to shitcan Chris Cuomo. I don't know how they can do that contractually, but they need to find a way.

seb146

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:48 am

Aaron747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Based on what is now out in the AG report, CNN at the very least needs to shitcan Chris Cuomo. I don't know how they can do that contractually, but they need to find a way.

Why? I get Andrew needs to go but if Chris has done nothing wrong as far as we have been told, why should he go? They are two separate people.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:04 am

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Why? I get Andrew needs to go but if Chris has done nothing wrong as far as we have been told, why should he go? They are two separate people.

The AG report makes clear that Chris participated in strategy sessions and helped his brother craft an initial PR response. You don't see how that's a problem? Refusing journalistic involvement in the issue over conflict of interest does not get him off. He compromised his employer's integrity by participating in Andrew's ass-covering operation.

extender

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am

Cuomo isn't going to resign. He's going to ride it down into the crash. He will use the Delta variant to stay in office.

The AG is a joke.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:07 am

extender wrote:
Cuomo isn't going to resign. He's going to ride it down into the crash. He will use the Delta variant to stay in office.

The AG is a joke.

The AG did her job. NY state law is convoluted, much of it still steeped in 19th century traditions, and the AG and executive offices work independently of one another. Albany County has already been preparing a criminal case against Cuomo as most of the incidents happened there, and the AG's office has already been working with them.

The report may leave Mr. Cuomo exposed to criminal charges, a point underscored by a disclosure that the Albany County district attorney was conducting a criminal investigation into the allegations.

In a statement on Tuesday, the district attorney, David Soares, said that his office was reviewing the attorney general’s report in connection with an “ongoing criminal investigation,” and that it had requested investigative materials from Ms. James’s office. He also encouraged other victims to contact his office directly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/nyre ... aways.html

Also it seems the Assembly was waiting on this report to move. Now they appear headed toward impeachment.

https://abc7ny.com/new-york-governor-cu ... /10927623/

ltbewr

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:17 am

It isn't just Gov. Cuomo, but as the report of the investigation notes, his apparently all male top level staff covered up allegations, bullied women not to go public with claims, ignored their concerns of sexual assault and harassment. Not only should Cuomo resign, but also his top staff that protected him. If he were to resign, and he should do so by Friday, the Lt. Governor is a woman so can quickly change the attitudes, shift the discussions and protect the Democratic party in the state and elsewhere from losing elections and control.

I also think the continuing Covid-19 pandemic will have a huge affect on such behaviors as hugging, handshaking and other 'touching' of women by men in public and in politics has become unacceptable for health safety reasons and will continue long after it subsides.

casinterest

Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:26 pm

There is a tweet for everything. Wonder if Cuomo will stand by his.

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/3 ... 7193508864

seb146

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

The AG report makes clear that Chris participated in strategy sessions and helped his brother craft an initial PR response. You don't see how that's a problem? Refusing journalistic involvement in the issue over conflict of interest does not get him off. He compromised his employer's integrity by participating in Andrew's ass-covering operation.

I have moved from "why should Chris be fired" to on the fence about it. When something like this happens, there is spin. There is a group that will craft a PR response. Not a shock. Because of family, most likely, Chris was doing what he felt he had to do. I am not going to be upset if Chris is fired over this.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:47 pm

seb146 wrote:

I have moved from "why should Chris be fired" to on the fence about it. When something like this happens, there is spin. There is a group that will craft a PR response. Not a shock. Because of family, most likely, Chris was doing what he felt he had to do. I am not going to be upset if Chris is fired over this.

You don't think what he did was a conflict of interest? Not to mention totally tone deaf to sexual harrassment?

casinterest

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You don't think what he did was a conflict of interest? Not to mention totally tone deaf to sexual harrassment?

To be honest, there would be whole media companies out of business by now if that was the gold standard.
Anyone remember O'Reilly and Ailes?

stlgph

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:58 pm

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I worked in news broadcasting. Chris Cuomo should be gone.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:33 pm

What I don’t get is why some hosts on MAGA TV are defending Cuomo:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/newsmaxs-gr ... ssion=true

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

They’re jerks looking for an audience? Don’t watch it.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:44 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

They’re jerks looking for an audience? Don’t watch it.

No worries there. Would have to pay me serious bucks to voluntarily watch Newsmax.

LCDFlight

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:46 pm

extender wrote:

The AG is a joke.

Agreed. He won his election to office. This is a power grab by the unelected, and likely unelectable. He has nothing to gain by resigning. He may run for office again and win again.

In France, they would have to be laughing their a$$es off at these accusations. What do they even mean?! They may be quite real, but they also could be to be ginned up stories about nonevents. And their appearance may be a strategy to undo an election and grab power from the people who elected Cuomo.

Biden could be taken down the same way.

OA412

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:52 pm

I actually haven't followed the Chris Cuomo aspect very closely and haven't yet had a chance to read the report. That said, he should've been terminated just based on the allegations that surfaced re: his interviews with Andrew Cuomo during the early months of COVID.
ltbewr wrote:
It isn't just Gov. Cuomo, but as the report of the investigation notes, his apparently all male top level staff covered up allegations, bullied women not to go public with claims, ignored their concerns of sexual assault and harassment. Not only should Cuomo resign, but also his top staff that protected him. If he were to resign, and he should do so by Friday, the Lt. Governor is a woman so can quickly change the attitudes, shift the discussions and protect the Democratic party in the state and elsewhere from losing elections and control.

Unfortunately, it's almost always the case that the enablers end up with a slap on the wrist and keep on working in whatever position they were in. They should all resign, but I doubt it will happen. There have to be consequences not just for harassers, but all of those willing to cover up for them.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:53 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
extender wrote:

The AG is a joke.

Agreed. He won his election to office. This is a power grab by the unelected, and likely unelectable. He has nothing to gain by resigning. He may run for office again and win again.

In France, they would have to be laughing their a$$es off at these accusations. What do they even mean?! They may be quite real, but they also could be to be ginned up stories about nonevents. And their appearance may be a strategy to undo an election and grab power from the people who elected Cuomo.

11 accounts were deemed credible by independent investigators. What do you want, surreptitious video?

NIKV69
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:30 pm

OA412 wrote:
I actually haven't followed the Chris Cuomo aspect very closely and haven't yet had a chance to read the report. That said, he should've been terminated just based on the allegations that surfaced re: his interviews with Andrew Cuomo during the early months of COVID.
ltbewr wrote:

Unfortunately, it's almost always the case that the enablers end up with a slap on the wrist and keep on working in whatever position they were in. They should all resign, but I doubt it will happen. There have to be consequences not just for harassers, but all of those willing to cover up for them.

Let us also not forget that while he knew he had Covid19 in the worst part of the pandemic he left his house and went into population. Then when someone called him out on it he got right in their face. Some of the worst judgement ever. None of this is much of a surprise but I am shocked CNN let him behave the way he did with his brother. A horrible conflict.

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 pm

As a governor, do you have immunity from (criminal) charges?

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:56 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Birds of a sexual predator feather? Most of Fox News has to be looking around nervously right about now...

Aaron747

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:59 am

Dieuwer wrote:
As a governor, do you have immunity from (criminal) charges?

Not necessarily, and not in this case. Cuomo is under investigation by the DA in Albany County.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:59 am

Apt commentary from Charlie Sykes on MSNBC today, as he notes that any conservative who supported Trump and is calling for Cuomo's resignation is being shamelessly hypocritical:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/charlie-syk ... hatsoever/

ltbewr

Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:50 pm

So far it looks like Cuomo won't resign and it will be up to the Legislature to try to remove him by Impeachment. The legislature is near the end of its investigation for the sexual assault and other possible Impeachable crimes. Cuomo has until next Friday, Aug. 13th to submit defense evidence to the Legislature committee considering Impeachment charges. It is possible that Impeachment proceeding could be started soon, most likely after Labor Day (about a month from now). Meanwhile the state has a Governor in limbo, a need for leadership to deal with the never ending Covid-19 pandemic. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/05/cuomo-i ... dence.html

LCDFlight

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:26 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:
extender wrote:

The AG is a joke.

11 accounts were deemed credible by independent investigators. What do you want, surreptitious video?

With a lot of this, there isn't a debate over the facts. So a video would not help. It seems to be more of a debate over meaning. I would say let the process work itself out. My starting point is he was elected governor. If the police haul him out of there or he is impeached, so be it.

stratosphere

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Because he violated his own networks rules and got involved and offered advice. Now I get it it's his brother so I expect he is going to do anything he can to help him. But Chris Cuomo sits there like the sanctimonious scumbag that he is with his gangster black suit and black tie and tells the rest of the world how they should live. I always despised the Cuomo family right from old man Mario who said there is no such thing as the mafia. CNN needs to get rid of him and the weekend whacker Jeffrey Toobin.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:14 pm

stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Because he violated his own networks rules and got involved and offered advice. Now I get it it's his brother so I expect he is going to do anything he can to help him. But Chris Cuomo sits there like the sanctimonious scumbag that he is with his gangster black suit and black tie and tells the rest of the world how they should live. I always despised the Cuomo family right from old man Mario who said there is no such thing as the mafia. CNN needs to get rid of him and the weekend whacker Jeffrey Toobin.

CNN personnel decisions are run by men - that is part of the problem. Generally speaking it is men who have made excuses for Toobin. Women on both the left and right have been clear he should be shitcanned. CNN probably doesn't want to pay out whatever remains in his personal services agreement.

seb146

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:54 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
seb146 wrote:

CNN personnel decisions are run by men - that is part of the problem. Generally speaking it is men who have made excuses for Toobin. Women on both the left and right have been clear he should be shitcanned. CNN probably doesn't want to pay out whatever remains in his personal services agreement.

If he violated terms of his contract, they shouldn't have to pay anything.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:01 pm

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

He probably didn’t because his little jerkoff incident was not on CNN time or dime. That occurred on a conference call as part of his duties with the New Yorker.

seb146

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:05 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

He probably didn’t because his little jerkoff incident was not on CNN time or dime. That occurred on a conference call as part of his duties with the New Yorker.

Sorry. I was talking about Chris consulting his brother.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I see...what does that have to do with pay? Don’t see the connection.

seb146

Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:27 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

To buy out his contract or pay a penalty for terminating his contract. Sometimes this is written into contracts.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:47 am

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

To buy out his contract or pay a penalty for terminating his contract. Sometimes this is written into contracts.

Okay, but the contract being discussed when you replied was Toobin's, not Cuomo's.

seb146

Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Okay, but the contract being discussed when you replied was Toobin's, not Cuomo's.

I thought it was Cuomo's. The governor of NY is being accused and his brother, who has a show on CNN, is what was being discussed. I thought.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:42 am

Cuomo accuser Brittany Commisso speaks publicly for the first time

In an exclusive interview with "CBS This Morning" and the Times Union, Brittany Commisso spoke publicly for the first time about her accusation of sexual harassment against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo. Commisso said Cuomo "needs to be held accountable" for his actions. Cuomo denies any wrongdoing.

Preview on Face The Nation today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiKXeKPO50

DIRECTFLT

Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:29 pm

The CBS This Morning Interview

Brittany Commisso speaks out about allegations against Cuomo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbqHaVEP_ss

alberchico

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm

Breaking news: Cuomo to step down in 14 days, NY will get its first ever female governor.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 pm

alberchico wrote:
Breaking news: Cuomo to step down in 14 days, NY will get its first ever female governor.

Wow what a fall from grace almost as bad as Christie

ER757

Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:22 pm

alberchico wrote:

Here's a link to the story
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... bdd7b2f415