Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aaron747
Topic Author

9/11 Families: Biden Should Not Attend Commemoration Without Releasing Documents

Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:20 am

Very strong words from families of 9/11 victims in the run up to next month's 20-year memorial. President Biden made campaign promises to improve transparency around document release issues pertaining to information about official Saudi involvement in the terror event. The families say so far they have heard radio silence from the WH since the inauguration.

“We cannot in good faith, and with veneration to those lost, sick, and injured, welcome the president to our hallowed grounds until he fulfills his commitment,” they wrote in a statement obtained by NBC News.

“Since the conclusion of the 9/11 Commission in 2004 much investigative evidence has been uncovered implicating Saudi government officials in supporting the attacks,” the statement says. “Through multiple administrations, the Department of Justice and the FBI have actively sought to keep this information secret and prevent the American people from learning the full truth about the 9/11 attacks.”

Among the documents the group seeks are supporting evidence found during a widespread FBI investigation into the attacks that examined alleged Saudi links and was completed in 2016.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/9- ... l-n1276138

This protection of the Saudi alliance has been a consistent feature of every administration since 2001. I commend the families for trying to get the word out that this is still unresolved...as is their pain.

ltbewr

Re: 9/11 Families: Biden Should Not Attend Commemoration Without Releasing Documents

Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:13 am

I have long believed certain Saudis used Osama bin-Laden and his followers in al-Quada to try to take for themselves the power of the country from the current ruling Saud family factions. They wanted the money, they wanted the power and wanted to break the bond of the USA government and Saudi Arabian leaders. with the 9/11 terror attacks.
For sure the USA wants to keep, despite how horrible they are, the current family faction in Saudi Arabia over oil and stable control of the 2 most important shrines of Islam. Disclosures of the investigative records would hurt the critical relationship we have with the current Saudi Arabian leaders. We use Saudi Arabia as a balance to our 'enemy' we both hate, Iran. That is why the disclosures will not happen, despite Biden's promises.
Personally I wish all major site 9/11 memorials wouldn't allow any current, past or candidates for public office as just continues the politicization of it and distracts from the need to continue to mourn our losses that day and the failed wars we did in Iraq and Afghanistan in failed revenge.

seb146

Re: 9/11 Families: Biden Should Not Attend Commemoration Without Releasing Documents

Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:25 pm

I have a clerical question:

With American troops just now leaving Afghanistan, would some of these papers be considered confidential to the mission there? I get the American government does not want to anger the Saudis, which is what the documents will show, but because we have been occupying Afghanistan for the past 20 years, isn't there a law or rule in the military intelligence that says documents can not be released before a certain milestone or date?

c933103

Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:39 pm

seb146 wrote:

With American troops just now leaving Afghanistan, would some of these papers be considered confidential to the mission there? I get the American government does not want to anger the Saudis, which is what the documents will show, but because we have been occupying Afghanistan for the past 20 years, isn't there a law or rule in the military intelligence that says documents can not be released before a certain milestone or date?

American president, being also the commander in chief of their military, according to my understanding is capable of changing the declassification date of some documents? Although of course the impact of each of such release needs to be evaluated

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:44 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
This protection of the Saudi alliance has been a consistent feature of every administration since 2001. I commend the families for trying to get the word out that this is still unresolved...as is their pain.

I don't worship the Saudis and one of the reasons I believe the US needs to become oil-free is so that there's no reason to remain there anymore. However, suppose high officials of the Saudi government are implicated. At nearly 20 years since the event, it's VERY likely that many of the figures have died or have retired. What exactly does this information do? Confirm that we shouldn't be too cozy with the Saudis?

johns624

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:04 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I don't worship the Saudis and one of the reasons I believe the US needs to become oil-free is so that there's no reason to remain there anymore. However, suppose high officials of the Saudi government are implicated. At nearly 20 years since the event, it's VERY likely that many of the figures have died or have retired. What exactly does this information do? Confirm that we shouldn't be too cozy with the Saudis?
Or, it could name US politicians and officials who were particularly "cozy" with those Saudis. Not saying that they were involved, just that's the reason the reports haven't been released.

NIKV69

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:39 pm

All I have heard since this guy took office is how they are going to be transparent. Well here is the perfect chance. Glad the families took this step.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:42 pm

seb146 wrote:

What does Afghanistan have to do with information about Riyadh?

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:44 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It would allow these families to seek legal remedy if necessary and provide the answers they want. Isn’t that enough? Any young child who lost a parent that day is college-aged now. How long should they wait?

drew777

Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:08 am

Ignore my tinfoil hat but releasing the real documents would:

Undermine major sales campaigns of most US arms manufacturers. The lobbyists wouldn't allow that.

Lead to instability in the oil markets. Potentially putting American investments at risk in the kingdom.

Bring to light that we aren't backing the good guys in the Middle East. Would the public still support the Iran vs good guys narrative?

What president or party is going to go up against the arms industry, big oil, and Israeli interests? That sounds un-American!

seb146

Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:44 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Two completely different things.

1. We know Saudi Arabia was behind 9/11
2. Our troops were in Afghanistan

I was just wondering, because there were military operations in Afghanistan, how many of those were classified and how long will those documents continue to be classified?

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
It would allow these families to seek legal remedy if necessary and provide the answers they want. Isn’t that enough? Any young child who lost a parent that day is college-aged now. How long should they wait?

Which legal remedies? I'm honestly trying to understand this. How does one sovereign government arrange to have another one pay reparations unilaterally? Usually, when a nation has to pay reparations for damages against other nations, it's because they agreed to it under a treaty of surrender (Central/Axis Powers in WWI and WWII, for example). Rarely has it been due to a change of heart.

Suppose the information IS released, that the Saudis supported the attack (financially or diplomatically), what's the next step? Go to the World Court? They collectively can't argue in that court; they'd need the US government to submit the case on their behalf and 4 presidents from both parties have not done so. I suppose they could pressure Congress to halt military sales to the Saudis, but as mentioned, the big arms lobbyists will likely not allow that, but suppose they relent and Congress officially places the Saudis (and others) on a no-sale list. What does that do to the Saudis? They can buy weapons elsewhere and roil the world economy with reduced oil output (or a directed sales boycott to the US).

What do the victims get from this? The truth? Then yes, they deserve to know. Legal means for compensation? Good luck with that. And it also begs the question (given the age of misinformation and disbelief): suppose the information is inconclusive or does not link any high ranking Saudi officials...will the victims let it go or will they think the government is hiding something? Will they take "no" for an answer or will they believe that it's the Deep State manipulating information?

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I was just wondering, because there were military operations in Afghanistan, how many of those were classified and how long will those documents continue to be classified?

What does Saudi Arabia have to do with the war in Afghanistan and what do either have to do with classified documents or their declassification date?

The only links so far are that the Saudis recognized the Taliban government that ruled Afghanistan since the mid 90s and provided support (along with Pakistan and the UAE). The 9/11 attacks were carried out by Al-Qaeda, which found safe refuge in Afghanistan under the Taliban (a group so poorly educated that many aspects of the Afghan economy ground to a halt because no one had the required skills to do certain tasks). Many Al-Qaeda militants are Saudis and Egyptians, but the only missing link is whether those Saudis had the Saudi government's blessing. Given that Al-Qaeda was led by an anti-Saudi government person (OBL), it would be puzzling as to why the Saudis would support Al-Qaeda in the first place.

As for the war in Afghanistan, there are likely classified documents (most likely dealing with individuals and their links abroad, and the raid on OBL's compound). The date of declassification is usually 25 years after they've been made classified, unless there's reason to believe that a longer classification period is needed. Executive Order 13526 details how information is classified and when it can be declassified. Whether those documents mention Saudi Arabia in any form is unknown, and given that the theater of war was Afghanistan, I doubt Saudi Arabia is even mentioned. There would likely be a separate compartment that deals with links between foreign governments and terror support. It's like expecting documents from the Korean War to mention how Mao and Stalin supported communists all over...the Korean War documents will focus only on the war and not on Soviet/Chinese support of communism in the world.

Dieuwer

Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:03 pm

Classified Documents are just another way to hide crimes.

seb146

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:34 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

What does Saudi Arabia have to do with the war in Afghanistan and what do either have to do with classified documents or their declassification date?

The only links so far are that the Saudis recognized the Taliban government that ruled Afghanistan since the mid 90s and provided support (along with Pakistan and the UAE). The 9/11 attacks were carried out by Al-Qaeda, which found safe refuge in Afghanistan under the Taliban (a group so poorly educated that many aspects of the Afghan economy ground to a halt because no one had the required skills to do certain tasks). Many Al-Qaeda militants are Saudis and Egyptians, but the only missing link is whether those Saudis had the Saudi government's blessing. Given that Al-Qaeda was led by an anti-Saudi government person (OBL), it would be puzzling as to why the Saudis would support Al-Qaeda in the first place.

As for the war in Afghanistan, there are likely classified documents (most likely dealing with individuals and their links abroad, and the raid on OBL's compound). The date of declassification is usually 25 years after they've been made classified, unless there's reason to believe that a longer classification period is needed. Executive Order 13526 details how information is classified and when it can be declassified. Whether those documents mention Saudi Arabia in any form is unknown, and given that the theater of war was Afghanistan, I doubt Saudi Arabia is even mentioned. There would likely be a separate compartment that deals with links between foreign governments and terror support. It's like expecting documents from the Korean War to mention how Mao and Stalin supported communists all over...the Korean War documents will focus only on the war and not on Soviet/Chinese support of communism in the world.

The second paragraph of your post is actually what I was looking for. Thank you.

Maybe Saudi supporting al-Qaeda but not OBL is the same as us who support Israel but not the Likud party? I am just throwing it out there, I really don't know.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 pm

seb146 wrote:

Recall that Al Qaeda was operating out of Afghanistan, which is why we wound up there in the first place. However, their project required a lot of money, which came from KSA.

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Recall that Al Qaeda was operating out of Afghanistan, which is why we wound up there in the first place. However, their project required a lot of money, which came from KSA.

I'm still having trouble understanding this logic. This is like saying that Democrats paid the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, and other far-right groups to storm the Capitol on 1/6. Let's not forget that bin Laden had money. Though he himself was banished from KSA, his family and his wealth were still there.

Why would the KSA fund a group that harbored anti-Saud sentiment? Moreover, why would KSA approve an attack on a country it was hosting for government (House of Saud) and economic (oil fields) stability?

I'm not saying they didn't do it; I'm just trying to understand what the Saudis would have gained by approving of the attacks in the first place. If the Saudis had publicly asked the US to depart and the US refused, then yes, I can see why they did it. But so far, aside from anti-US sentiment by some extremists in the kingdom, I have yet to see high-ranking officials publicly decry the ties to the US.

And again...suppose the KSA DID approve of the attacks. Then what? Retaliate on the world biggest oil exporter with what? Sanctions? Withdrawing troops and letting the Saudis fend for themselves against the potential of an ISIS 2.0 (which will affect oil prices)? Attack pipelines? Invade Riyadh and install a "democratic" government (which will likely prove weak against the influence of the clerics in the country)?

The best way to drop the Saudis is by achieving oil independence. Reduce the use to the point that instability in the Middle East can roil the markets but will not hinder economic activity significantly (if at all). For now, unfortunately, even if the KSA was behind the attacks, there's really not much anyone can do as any attempts to assign blame can result in the Saudis retaliating.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:35 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I'm still having trouble understanding this logic. This is like saying that Democrats paid the Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, and other far-right groups to storm the Capitol on 1/6. Let's not forget that bin Laden had money. Though he himself was banished from KSA, his family and his wealth were still there.

Why would the KSA fund a group that harbored anti-Saud sentiment? Moreover, why would KSA approve an attack on a country it was hosting for government (House of Saud) and economic (oil fields) stability?

I'm not saying they didn't do it; I'm just trying to understand what the Saudis would have gained by approving of the attacks in the first place. If the Saudis had publicly asked the US to depart and the US refused, then yes, I can see why they did it. But so far, aside from anti-US sentiment by some extremists in the kingdom, I have yet to see high-ranking officials publicly decry the ties to the US.

And again...suppose the KSA DID approve of the attacks. Then what? Retaliate on the world biggest oil exporter with what? Sanctions? Withdrawing troops and letting the Saudis fend for themselves against the potential of an ISIS 2.0 (which will affect oil prices)? Attack pipelines? Invade Riyadh and install a "democratic" government (which will likely prove weak against the influence of the clerics in the country)?

The best way to drop the Saudis is by achieving oil independence. Reduce the use to the point that instability in the Middle East can roil the markets but will not hinder economic activity significantly (if at all). For now, unfortunately, even if the KSA was behind the attacks, there's really not much anyone can do as any attempts to assign blame can result in the Saudis retaliating.

It’s worth remembering that the US/KSA relationship became less one dimensional after the fall of the USSR. Prior to that it was basically security for oil and mutual opposition to godless communism. After Soviet influence in the region evaporated, the US was suddenly asserting itself much more. There was pressure from US actors and lobbying groups to foment social change in KSA and elsewhere - this was totally unwanted. Following the success of the mujahadeen in the 80s, KSA was seeking to influence the region at large with huge funding for madrassas and other activities to keep the clerics happy. In a short time, things had become more complex with more friction than a lot of people realize.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:39 am

President Biden has authorized the DOJ to review what can be released:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 6.html?amp

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:43 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Ok, so this is true. On every level that matters. But also, KSA is also a place where it is very easy to hide and still control large amounts of money. I do not know how well the Saudis will handle this in the coming decade, but the people who can lobby and influence US governance will continue to see this as a value add for our relationship with KSA. We will need to root that out even after the Oil is no longer a factor.

Aaron747 wrote:

Good. Overdue, but good.

seb146

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:14 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Doesn't it also have some to do with the sect practiced in Saudi Arabia? Wahhabism?

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontlin ... abism.html

Dieuwer

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:16 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Good. Overdue, but good.

That does not mean anything. The DOJ can simply decide that nothing can be released.

seb146

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Good. Overdue, but good.

That does not mean anything. The DOJ can simply decide that nothing can be released.

There were high tech helicopters that helped in the OBL raid. We don't know what other tech was used in Afghanistan that could be classified. I would guess not much if anything but, still.

Dieuwer

Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:22 pm

seb146 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Good. Overdue, but good.

There were high tech helicopters that helped in the OBL raid. We don't know what other tech was used in Afghanistan that could be classified. I would guess not much if anything but, still.

I think the major point of contention would be the release of all names and parties who are behind the 9/11 attacks. I guess to obtain that list of names is the prime goal of the 9/11 families. If that info is not released, I imagine the families will refuse Biden.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:09 pm

The WH has ordered a declassification review to be completed by 9/11 and it seems the families are saying Biden will be welcome at ceremonies. It will be interesting to see what the FBI has hung onto all this time.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/ ... 73118.html

ltbewr

Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:33 pm

What some want is evidence to connect persons part of the Saudi Arabian government to funding or supporting 9/11 victims so can try to sue that government. Previous lawsuits in the USA against Saudi Arabia have been dismissed due to a lack of proof, jurisdictional limits and to protect diplomatic, military equipment sales and the oil trade.

Dieuwer

Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:11 pm

ltbewr wrote:
What some want is evidence to connect persons part of the Saudi Arabian government to funding or supporting 9/11 victims so can try to sue that government. Previous lawsuits in the USA against Saudi Arabia have been dismissed due to a lack of proof, jurisdictional limits and to protect diplomatic, military equipment sales and the oil trade.

Good luck with suing foreign officials. These people enjoy diplomatic immunity in the US. At worst the US government can label them "persona non grata" and deny them entry. But that's it.

GDB

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am

Aaron747 wrote:
The WH has ordered a declassification review to be completed by 9/11 and it seems the families are saying Biden will be welcome at ceremonies. It will be interesting to see what the FBI has hung onto all this time.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/ ... 73118.html

I think most likely for the very same reason the Bush admin held out against the 9/11 commission and subsequent report for a time, to hide their mistakes, inattention etc.
Not that it is hardly news, or shouldn't be, that the FBI and CIA were more concerned with turf wars than the looming threat that Bin Laden had even told to a CNN reporter in Afghanistan in 1998.

With the FBI being only legally concerned, in theory at least, with domestic intel, their knowledge of any activity by Saudi and other wealthy gulf state nationals on US soil and any links to the plotters and hijackers would be of interest.

Then again, all the evidence of PA103 pointed to Syrian Intelligence, (who just two years before had used an agent to dupe an Irish cleaning lady he had what we would now called 'groomed' and impregnated to unknown to her, smuggle a bomb on an El Al flight out of LHR, he is still in a British prison, eligible for parole pending deportation to Syria since 2013 but that's not going to happen now).
Then Iraq invaded Kuwait, Desert Shield began and all of a sudden, Syrian ports became a vital cog in Desert Shield.
I mention this since there seem to be parallels with the long suspicion of many relatives of PA103 victims with the official story and the 9/11 relatives.

https://www.asi-mag.com/ann-marie-murph ... ry-review/