Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:52 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Of course it can be amended and taken out, but until it is, it's the law of the land. In 2019, the US had 39,707 deaths due to guns, that includes suicide. There are 330 million people in the US meaning there is a .000012% chance of being killed by a gun, again including suicide. I would say that the chance is even lower if you are not involved in certain activities such as gangs. I think your outside looking in view is a bit skewed, but I still stand by my view that the moral fabric of society is breaking down. There does seem to be a lack of respect for other people lately.


How then do you explain the data linked to in my earlier post, in which there were five other spike periods in violent crime worse than the current one, over the last 100 years?


I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about today. What do those past periods have to do with today?


Because your argument has been that the moral fabric of society is unraveling. That sounds like something new, which is odd, because it clearly isn't. This is a long-term issue that American society has never appropriately tackled, nor come close to solving. It's not anything new and putting it into a contemporaneous context is misleading.
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:57 pm

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:
Make it a requirement to register that gun with the purchaser. Then you can hold that person at least partially responsible for any crime committed with that gun.


That is not the way it works. Many legally obtained guns are stolen and end up the hands of people that shouldn't have them.

Here's a novel idea, prosecute the ones you catch, and not let them walk?


This would probably incentivize people to lock up those guns then!

Anyway, how are that many guns getting stolen? I thought the point of having a gun was that you could protect yourself from getting robbed. It seems that guns a pretty useless at that if all these guns on the street are stolen weapons.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

How then do you explain the data linked to in my earlier post, in which there were five other spike periods in violent crime worse than the current one, over the last 100 years?


I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about today. What do those past periods have to do with today?


Because your argument has been that the moral fabric of society is unraveling. That sounds like something new, which is odd, because it clearly isn't. This is a long-term issue that American society has never appropriately tackled, nor come close to solving. It's not anything new and putting it into a contemporaneous context is misleading.


I never said there were not problems before. I'm not talking about other periods, doing so is a strawman argument.
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:12 pm

2122M wrote:
Anyway, how are that many guns getting stolen? I thought the point of having a gun was that you could protect yourself from getting robbed. It seems that guns a pretty useless at that if all these guns on the street are stolen weapons.


Homes, cars... I can't go into a post office with one, or certain government buildings, so in the care they go for most people. I do lock mine up in a vehicle or in a safe at home.
 
JJJ
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm

2122M wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I suppose is all about training and being reasonable. After all, gun ownership is high in Switzerland too, but deaths are much less.

https://www.buzzworthy.com/switzerland-gun-laws/
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21379912


Swiss gun laws are an interesting study. While it is easy to buy a gun there, there are lots of limits as to who can carry a gun in public. There are very few gun carry permits given in Switzerland, and they are only given to those who require it for work (security officers and the like). So while you can go buy lots of guns for hunting or sport, you can still be arrested for carrying a loaded weapon in public.

Also, all gun sales, including private sales, are tracked. You are required to submit lots of identifying information when you buy a gun, so that gun can be tracked back to you if necessary.


Not to mention ammo also requires a permit and purchases are carefully reviewed by law enforcement.

Hardly the "look at Switzerland, they have full auto guns and they're ok" meme which always found their way into gun policy discussions.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about today. What do those past periods have to do with today?


Because your argument has been that the moral fabric of society is unraveling. That sounds like something new, which is odd, because it clearly isn't. This is a long-term issue that American society has never appropriately tackled, nor come close to solving. It's not anything new and putting it into a contemporaneous context is misleading.


I never said there were not problems before. I'm not talking about other periods, doing so is a strawman argument.


Negative, not a strawman. Spikes in violent crime like the one occurring now are a dataset, and data has to be analyzed in comparative contexts to be of any use. You are trying to simplify an issue that is by no means simple. That's known in critical thinking classes as 'fallacy of the single cause'.
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:55 pm

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:
Anyway, how are that many guns getting stolen? I thought the point of having a gun was that you could protect yourself from getting robbed. It seems that guns a pretty useless at that if all these guns on the street are stolen weapons.


Homes, cars... I can't go into a post office with one, or certain government buildings, so in the care they go for most people. I do lock mine up in a vehicle or in a safe at home.


Good, keep it locked up and secure if you're not using it. Thats why you are a responsible gun owner and I, as a progressive liberal, will never come after your right to own a gun. I bet you've never had your gun stolen either, right?

So here's the plan. Like I said before, if your gun gets stolen and used to commit a crime, you can be investigated for that crime too. How did that gun get stolen? Did you not have it secured properly? Was it not locked away? Maybe if you just left your gun laying around or left it on the passenger seat of your car when you went to the post office and it got stolen, you shouldn't be considered a responsible gun owner and you lose your right to own a gun the same way any criminal would.
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:12 pm

2122M wrote:
So here's the plan. Like I said before, if your gun gets stolen and used to commit a crime, you can be investigated for that crime too. How did that gun get stolen? Did you not have it secured properly? Was it not locked away? Maybe if you just left your gun laying around or left it on the passenger seat of your car when you went to the post office and it got stolen, you shouldn't be considered a responsible gun owner and you lose your right to own a gun the same way any criminal would.


Not so fast, when your firearm is stolen, you file a police report. At that point, you're free and clear. Proving what you posted is difficult to do. You're treading in dangerous waters when you talk about losing your rights.
 
johns624
Posts: 4231
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:13 pm

LE needs to go after straw purchasers and the very, very small number of crooked gun dealers. That's where most criminals' guns come from. I remember reading years ago about a "kitchen table" gun dealer in Tennessee whose sales were traced to hundreds of crimes. He got 18 months. That's ridiculous. There are plenty of laws, just enforce them. Just attempting to buy a gun when you know that you can't, is a felony. Yet, it's never prosecuted. Go after them. Just like cops focus on drunk drivers, not everyone who buys and drinks alcohol.
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:17 pm

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:
So here's the plan. Like I said before, if your gun gets stolen and used to commit a crime, you can be investigated for that crime too. How did that gun get stolen? Did you not have it secured properly? Was it not locked away? Maybe if you just left your gun laying around or left it on the passenger seat of your car when you went to the post office and it got stolen, you shouldn't be considered a responsible gun owner and you lose your right to own a gun the same way any criminal would.


Not so fast, when your firearm is stolen, you file a police report. At that point, you're free and clear. Proving what you posted is difficult to do. You're treading in dangerous waters when you talk about losing your rights.


This is difficult to do? I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for a quick, easy and uncontroversial way to reduce gun violence in America.....

I 100% think you should be prosecuted if your gun got stolen because you were not taking gun security seriously. And if that gun gets used in a crime, you bear some responsibility.

Treading in dangerous waters? Really? Don't you think a innocent kid walking down the street in the south side of Chicago might be treading in dangerous waters too? If you had to pick his life vs a gun ownership liability law, which do you pick?
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:21 pm

johns624 wrote:
LE needs to go after straw purchasers and the very, very small number of crooked gun dealers. That's where most criminals' guns come from. I remember reading years ago about a "kitchen table" gun dealer in Tennessee whose sales were traced to hundreds of crimes. He got 18 months. That's ridiculous. There are plenty of laws, just enforce them. Just attempting to buy a gun when you know that you can't, is a felony. Yet, it's never prosecuted. Go after them. Just like cops focus on drunk drivers, not everyone who buys and drinks alcohol.


100% agree. However, federal law currently prohibits the creation of a comprehensive central database of firearms or firearms purchasers that law enforcement could access when recovering a crime gun. Are you in favor of reversing that rule to help LE find and prosecute these bad apples?

edit: This would mean reversing the Dickey Amendment and the the Tiahrt Amendment, if you care to do the research on that.
Last edited by 2122M on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
JJJ
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:24 pm

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:
So here's the plan. Like I said before, if your gun gets stolen and used to commit a crime, you can be investigated for that crime too. How did that gun get stolen? Did you not have it secured properly? Was it not locked away? Maybe if you just left your gun laying around or left it on the passenger seat of your car when you went to the post office and it got stolen, you shouldn't be considered a responsible gun owner and you lose your right to own a gun the same way any criminal would.


Not so fast, when your firearm is stolen, you file a police report. At that point, you're free and clear. Proving what you posted is difficult to do. You're treading in dangerous waters when you talk about losing your rights.


You file a police report and you get asked lots of questions.

And you may lose your permit if you were found to be careless or some sort of pattern develops.

That's how it works over here.
 
FGITD
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:36 pm

2122M wrote:
If you had to pick his life vs a gun ownership liability law, which do you pick?


A classroom full of children 6 years old and younger was mercilessly gunned down and nothing changed.

The answer will always be to protect the gun.
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:50 pm

2122M wrote:
I 100% think you should be prosecuted if your gun got stolen because you were not taking gun security seriously. And if that gun gets used in a crime, you bear some responsibility.

Treading in dangerous waters? Really? Don't you think a innocent kid walking down the street in the south side of Chicago might be treading in dangerous waters too? If you had to pick his life vs a gun ownership liability law, which do you pick?


Jurisprudence, fourth amendment, fifth amendment? Curb gun violence you say, start enforcing the laws.
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:18 pm

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:
I 100% think you should be prosecuted if your gun got stolen because you were not taking gun security seriously. And if that gun gets used in a crime, you bear some responsibility.

Treading in dangerous waters? Really? Don't you think a innocent kid walking down the street in the south side of Chicago might be treading in dangerous waters too? If you had to pick his life vs a gun ownership liability law, which do you pick?


Jurisprudence, fourth amendment, fifth amendment? Curb gun violence you say, start enforcing the laws.


Ok, repeal the Dickey Amendment and the the Tiahrt Amendment to allow us to efficiently and effectively enforce gun laws and track gun violence. Agreed?
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18742
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:23 pm

extender wrote:
2122M wrote:
I 100% think you should be prosecuted if your gun got stolen because you were not taking gun security seriously. And if that gun gets used in a crime, you bear some responsibility.

Treading in dangerous waters? Really? Don't you think a innocent kid walking down the street in the south side of Chicago might be treading in dangerous waters too? If you had to pick his life vs a gun ownership liability law, which do you pick?


Jurisprudence, fourth amendment, fifth amendment? Curb gun violence you say, start enforcing the laws.

The gun lobby has made it explicitly difficult to enforce gun laws. On purpose.
 
johns624
Posts: 4231
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:52 pm

2122M wrote:
johns624 wrote:
LE needs to go after straw purchasers and the very, very small number of crooked gun dealers. That's where most criminals' guns come from. I remember reading years ago about a "kitchen table" gun dealer in Tennessee whose sales were traced to hundreds of crimes. He got 18 months. That's ridiculous. There are plenty of laws, just enforce them. Just attempting to buy a gun when you know that you can't, is a felony. Yet, it's never prosecuted. Go after them. Just like cops focus on drunk drivers, not everyone who buys and drinks alcohol.


100% agree. However, federal law currently prohibits the creation of a comprehensive central database of firearms or firearms purchasers that law enforcement could access when recovering a crime gun. Are you in favor of reversing that rule to help LE find and prosecute these bad apples?

edit: This would mean reversing the Dickey Amendment and the the Tiahrt Amendment, if you care to do the research on that.
It's nowhere near as hard as some make it sound. I've done literally hundreds of gun traces for the BATF. Once I would get their request, they had their information within an hour.
That's really not what I'm talking about anyways. I worked in a large gunstore/range that sold 6000+ firearms a year. People would get "Denied" all the time. Do you know how many times the BATF requested that information for prosecution--ZERO. Occasionally, a gun would be sold after the waiting period ended and, after the transfer, it would come back "Denied". The BATF would merely ask us for contact information and call the felon and tell him to sell the gun back to us. Do you know how many of these "felon with a firearm" cases were prosecuted? ZERO!.
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14553
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

Negative, not a strawman. Spikes in violent crime like the one occurring now are a dataset, and data has to be analyzed in comparative contexts to be of any use. You are trying to simplify an issue that is by no means simple. That's known in critical thinking classes as 'fallacy of the single cause'.


You are going to tell me that is someone that commits robbery and gets out with no bail is not going to have high % of doing it again? Doesn't take a critical thinking to figure out that is a bad idea.


MaverickM11 wrote:
The gun lobby has made it explicitly difficult to enforce gun laws. On purpose.


Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:07 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?
 
johns624
Posts: 4231
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:10 pm

2122M wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?
Yep. I'm curious to know what their rap sheets look like.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18742
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Negative, not a strawman. Spikes in violent crime like the one occurring now are a dataset, and data has to be analyzed in comparative contexts to be of any use. You are trying to simplify an issue that is by no means simple. That's known in critical thinking classes as 'fallacy of the single cause'.


You are going to tell me that is someone that commits robbery and gets out with no bail is not going to have high % of doing it again? Doesn't take a critical thinking to figure out that is a bad idea.


MaverickM11 wrote:
The gun lobby has made it explicitly difficult to enforce gun laws. On purpose.


Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.

No one in the chain of command of those guns follow gun laws--several of them thanks to the gun lobby making it near impossible to enforce existing laws. Chicago knows the exact store(s) that are pumping out straw purchases that end up in Chicago crime scenes but they can't do anything about it. Again, on purpose.
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:23 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
No one in the chain of command of those guns follow gun laws--several of them thanks to the gun lobby making it near impossible to enforce existing laws. Chicago knows the exact store(s) that are pumping out straw purchases that end up in Chicago crime scenes but they can't do anything about it. Again, on purpose.


Proof? Links?
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14553
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:46 pm

2122M wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.
 
JJJ
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
2122M wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.


America would rather have "freedoms" than address inequality, access to education, mental health care and access to deadly weapons.

Hundreds of dead kids haven't changed that, I doubt one more police officer is going to.

The system is very much pointed at punishing the criminal, hard and fast.
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
2122M wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.


Yeah, we all hate murders. Well done for articulating that for all of us.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1221
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:39 pm

bpatus297 wrote:

In 2019, the US had 39,707 deaths due to guns, that includes suicide. There are 330 million people in the US meaning there is a .000012% chance of being killed by a gun,.


If the chances are so low then there is also little need to keep a gun for self defense.
 
MaverickM11
Posts: 18742
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2000 1:59 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:37 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

In 2019, the US had 39,707 deaths due to guns, that includes suicide. There are 330 million people in the US meaning there is a .000012% chance of being killed by a gun,.


If the chances are so low then there is also little need to keep a gun for self defense.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Whoops!

extender wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
No one in the chain of command of those guns follow gun laws--several of them thanks to the gun lobby making it near impossible to enforce existing laws. Chicago knows the exact store(s) that are pumping out straw purchases that end up in Chicago crime scenes but they can't do anything about it. Again, on purpose.


Proof? Links?


"Westforth Sports, Inc. in Gary, Indiana, has "engaged in a pattern of illegal sales that has resulted in the flow of hundreds, if not thousands, of illegal firearms into the City of Chicago," according to the lawsuit filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
...
According to the complaint, studies of firearms recovered by law enforcement between 2009 and 2016 "consistently rank Westforth as the highest out-of-state supplier of crime guns in the city, responsible for more than 850 recovered crime guns over this period."

The lawsuit alleges that a review of federal prosecutions from December 2014 to April 2021 for illegal gun purchases in the Northern District of Indiana revealed approximately 44% of the cases involved sales at Westforth Sports. The documents, according to the lawsuit, show Westforth Sports is known to have sold at least 180 guns to at least 40 people later charged with federal crimes in connection with the purchases. "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 854619001/

It's the same story for Mexico, where most of the guns are also American in origin, just as most of the drugs are American in destination.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8576
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Ok, where was the FBI and ATF in the past decade or so?
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:46 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Negative, not a strawman. Spikes in violent crime like the one occurring now are a dataset, and data has to be analyzed in comparative contexts to be of any use. You are trying to simplify an issue that is by no means simple. That's known in critical thinking classes as 'fallacy of the single cause'.


You are going to tell me that is someone that commits robbery and gets out with no bail is not going to have high % of doing it again? Doesn't take a critical thinking to know it’s a bad idea


Of course I would not say that. But that has nothing to do with the dude saying we’re only now seeing a moral breakdown. Anyone who says that doesn’t remember the early 90s...or 80s...or 70s...or 30s...or 20s. That’s sorta the point.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:28 pm

2122M wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


Would the shooting have happened if they faced consequences for the felonies they were on probation for?
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm

JJJ wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
2122M wrote:

That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.


America would rather have "freedoms" than address inequality, access to education, mental health care and access to deadly weapons.

Hundreds of dead kids haven't changed that, I doubt one more police officer is going to.

The system is very much pointed at punishing the criminal, hard and fast.


Not lately, most prosecutors are simply not prosecuting cases and a lot of people who have committed violent crimes are being released from jail without bond. Not a whole lot of punishment happening at them moment.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:30 pm

JJJ wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
2122M wrote:

That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.


America would rather have "freedoms" than address inequality, access to education, mental health care and access to deadly weapons.

Hundreds of dead kids haven't changed that, I doubt one more police officer is going to.

The system is very much pointed at punishing the criminal, hard and fast.


Duplicate, please delete
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:33 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

In 2019, the US had 39,707 deaths due to guns, that includes suicide. There are 330 million people in the US meaning there is a .000012% chance of being killed by a gun,.


If the chances are so low then there is also little need to keep a gun for self defense.



I don't care if you have a gun or not, that is your decision. That doesn't change the Constitution or your rights. Statistically the violence if concentrated in relatively small areas. It happens everywhere, but some areas have and exponentially higher probability than others to have violent crime.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:37 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Negative, not a strawman. Spikes in violent crime like the one occurring now are a dataset, and data has to be analyzed in comparative contexts to be of any use. You are trying to simplify an issue that is by no means simple. That's known in critical thinking classes as 'fallacy of the single cause'.


You are going to tell me that is someone that commits robbery and gets out with no bail is not going to have high % of doing it again? Doesn't take a critical thinking to know it’s a bad idea


Of course I would not say that. But that has nothing to do with the dude saying we’re only now seeing a moral breakdown. Anyone who says that doesn’t remember the early 90s...or 80s...or 70s...or 30s...or 20s. That’s sorta the point.


I never said that "we're only now" seeing a moral breakdown. You are putting words in my mouth. I said we are seeing a breakdown of the moral fabric of society, never said it was the first time. I guess referring to me as "the dude" is your way of throwing shade since you don't agree with my opinion? I would never refer to someone as dude that I am not acquainted with.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:37 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.


America would rather have "freedoms" than address inequality, access to education, mental health care and access to deadly weapons.

Hundreds of dead kids haven't changed that, I doubt one more police officer is going to.

The system is very much pointed at punishing the criminal, hard and fast.


Not lately, most prosecutors are simply not prosecuting cases and a lot of people who have committed violent crimes are being released from jail without bond. Not a whole lot of punishment happening at them moment.


Do you have a source or citation for the statement 'not a whole lot of punishment happening at the moment'? Some percentages or other relevant data would be helpful.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:41 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

You are going to tell me that is someone that commits robbery and gets out with no bail is not going to have high % of doing it again? Doesn't take a critical thinking to know it’s a bad idea


Of course I would not say that. But that has nothing to do with the dude saying we’re only now seeing a moral breakdown. Anyone who says that doesn’t remember the early 90s...or 80s...or 70s...or 30s...or 20s. That’s sorta the point.


I never said that "we're only now" seeing a moral breakdown. You are putting words in my mouth. I said we are seeing a breakdown of the moral fabric of society, never said it was the first time. I guess referring to me as "the dude" is your way of throwing shade since you don't agree with my opinion? I would never refer to someone as dude that I am not acquainted with.


In one response you referred to the moral breakdown seen 'lately', and in another you specifically said you were talking about 'now' versus the 'past'. Where were words put in your mouth? I responded to your exact statements. You also asked what relevance the past had, and I answered that too.

As for 'dude', it doesn't mean anything positive or negative. I'm from California, and my generation routinely refers to others as 'dude' in all kinds of contexts.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
JJJ wrote:

America would rather have "freedoms" than address inequality, access to education, mental health care and access to deadly weapons.

Hundreds of dead kids haven't changed that, I doubt one more police officer is going to.

The system is very much pointed at punishing the criminal, hard and fast.


Not lately, most prosecutors are simply not prosecuting cases and a lot of people who have committed violent crimes are being released from jail without bond. Not a whole lot of punishment happening at them moment.


Do you have a source or citation for the statement 'not a whole lot of punishment happening at the moment'? Some percentages or other relevant data would be helpful.



https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... o-decades/

https://www.manhattanda.org/d-a-vance-e ... d-massage/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... secutions/


https://cortlandstandard.net/2021/06/26 ... s-planned/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bail-refor ... 1581348077
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Of course I would not say that. But that has nothing to do with the dude saying we’re only now seeing a moral breakdown. Anyone who says that doesn’t remember the early 90s...or 80s...or 70s...or 30s...or 20s. That’s sorta the point.


I never said that "we're only now" seeing a moral breakdown. You are putting words in my mouth. I said we are seeing a breakdown of the moral fabric of society, never said it was the first time. I guess referring to me as "the dude" is your way of throwing shade since you don't agree with my opinion? I would never refer to someone as dude that I am not acquainted with.


In one response you referred to the moral breakdown seen 'lately', and in another you specifically said you were talking about 'now' versus the 'past'. Where were words put in your mouth? I responded to your exact statements. You also asked what relevance the past had, and I answered that too.

As for 'dude', it doesn't mean anything positive or negative. I'm from California, and my generation routinely refers to others as 'dude' in all kinds of contexts.


Correct, I was talking about the breakdown of the moral fabric now, not discussing the past. Lately just states that it has been happening in the recent past, it has nothing to due with the other periods of time you referenced. I challenge you to find an exact quote from me that says that this a new and only recently occurring event. You can't. .
 
2122M
Posts: 1348
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:56 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
2122M wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Doesn't matter the two perps that shot this officer don't follow gun laws at all. Or any law for that matter.


That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


Would the shooting have happened if they faced consequences for the felonies they were on probation for?


We have the highest incarceration rate in the world and the highest rate of gun violence in the developed world. Might be safe to say that more people in jail does not equal less gun crime.
 
737307
Posts: 2947
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:00 pm

2122M wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
2122M wrote:

That's right, and they will face the consequences for that. Isn't that what we all want?


Would the shooting have happened if they faced consequences for the felonies they were on probation for?


We have the highest incarceration rate in the world and the highest rate of gun violence in the developed world. Might be safe to say that more people in jail does not equal less gun crime.


Over the 4th of July weekend I was in Philadelphia and visited the Eastern State Penitentiary museum. They have an impressive "Big Graph" that shows you how much of an outlier the US is with respect to incarceration.

https://www.easternstate.org/explore/exhibits/big-graph
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8576
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:19 pm

War on Drugs was a terrible thing.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:07 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Not lately, most prosecutors are simply not prosecuting cases and a lot of people who have committed violent crimes are being released from jail without bond. Not a whole lot of punishment happening at them moment.


Do you have a source or citation for the statement 'not a whole lot of punishment happening at the moment'? Some percentages or other relevant data would be helpful.



https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... o-decades/

https://www.manhattanda.org/d-a-vance-e ... d-massage/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... secutions/


https://cortlandstandard.net/2021/06/26 ... s-planned/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bail-refor ... 1581348077


Drug offenses, prostitution, and break-ins are not the violent crimes you spoke of, but whatevs. :boggled:
 
extender
Topic Author
Posts: 979
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:52 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Some will find this over the top, but he nails it at the 1:35 mark. The killer's mom makes an appearance, and this woman is why this continues to happen and will increase more frequently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LoIZGsL7Q
 
JJJ
Posts: 4117
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 5:12 pm

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:14 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I sure hope so but you are putting the cart before the horse. Ideally I would like to have Ella French still alive.


America would rather have "freedoms" than address inequality, access to education, mental health care and access to deadly weapons.

Hundreds of dead kids haven't changed that, I doubt one more police officer is going to.

The system is very much pointed at punishing the criminal, hard and fast.


Not lately, most prosecutors are simply not prosecuting cases and a lot of people who have committed violent crimes are being released from jail without bond. Not a whole lot of punishment happening at them moment.


Highest incarceration rates. 3-strikes type of laws. Some of the worst prison conditions in the Western world.

Unless you're looking in from, say, South Africa, China or Colombia the US is definitely top of the class in punishment among peers.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Do you have a source or citation for the statement 'not a whole lot of punishment happening at the moment'? Some percentages or other relevant data would be helpful.



https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... o-decades/

https://www.manhattanda.org/d-a-vance-e ... d-massage/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... secutions/


https://cortlandstandard.net/2021/06/26 ... s-planned/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bail-refor ... 1581348077


Drug offenses, prostitution, and break-ins are not the violent crimes you spoke of, but whatevs. :boggled:



Just giving you the information you asked for, showing that prosecutors are not prosecuting cases. If you think that it stops with those offenses, you are wrong. Of course it's okay, it's just prostitution (tied to human trafficking), drug offenses (because it's all just simple possession, right?), and break-ins are nothing to fret over.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:47 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:



Just giving you the information you asked for, showing that prosecutors are not prosecuting cases. If you think that it stops with those offenses, you are wrong. Of course it's okay, it's just prostitution (tied to human trafficking), drug offenses (because it's all just simple possession, right?), and break-ins are nothing to fret over.


I have faith and trust in LE authorities that they can tell who the real baddies are when it comes to drug and human trafficking. Everything in a limited resource system comes down to triage.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24074
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:29 pm

extender wrote:
This past weekend, one police officer was killed and another critically wounded in Chicago. They had pulled over a vehicle with three occupants. French, 29, and her partner — who were part of a three-officer car assigned to the Community Safety Team — were shot during a traffic stop after 9 p.m. at 63rd Street and Bell Avenue. Two brothers, Emonte Morgan, 21 and Eric Morgan have been charged with murder.

The first officer to be shot was French's partner that was hit three times. When French came to his aid, she was shot in the head by Emonte Morgan. Both have been apprehended and are due in court today.

Sad all around, and for so many reasons.

-Emonte was a convicted felon, and could not posses a firearm.
-They had obtained the gun from a straw purchaser in Indiana.
Jamal Danzy is charged with purchasing the gun from a licensed Hammond gun dealer, knowingly transferring a firearm to an out-of-state resident and knowingly disposing of a firearm to a convicted felon, Brown said in the press conference.
Link

-Emonte had no respect for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpNvVW6DN84

These tragedies will continue until an effort is made to clean up and go after the criminals, not enacting more laws that are useless.

When the Mayor of Chicago went to the hospital, the officers turned their backs.


A couple of things jump out:

People have been complaining about straw purchases (or "gun show loophole" or "private sale loophole") for a very long time. Why be outraged over this person exercizing their Second Amendment rights? Isn't that what we constantly hear when there is a mass shooting? Don't touch any gun laws?

Some cops have no respect for life, either. Kneeling on a suspect's back until he dies, bursting into an apartment and opening fire because, pulling someone over and opening fire because. How are those different? Killing is killing.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8576
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Since when is murder covered by the Second Amendment? I didn’t know you would support that hideous version of rights? No one here, in support of the 2A, has argued it gives people the authority to commit murders. Interesting progressive view of the Bill of Rights.
 
Virtual737
Posts: 1221
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Since when is murder covered by the Second Amendment? I didn’t know you would support that hideous version of rights? No one here, in support of the 2A, has argued it gives people the authority to commit murders. Interesting progressive view of the Bill of Rights.


Since when are any of the typical arguments about gun ownership covered by the 2A? Most don't see themselves as part of a militia and I've yet to hear anyone say "I have a gun for the prime or sole purpose of defending my State in case it is attacked".

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State".

Interpret these 230 year old laws however you like, but almost all people that I hear saying that the 2A explicitly gives them their gun ownership freedoms only take note of the second part of its wording.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 8576
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: The Murder of Ella French

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:00 am

You need to learn that prefatory clauses don’t condition the operative part of the amendment. Says the SCOTUS, btw, agrees it is an individual right. Post #97 posits that the 2A permits murder is merely an exercise under the amendment. Not true.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitutio ... mendment-2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: seb146, TriJets and 31 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos