Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IceCream
Topic Author

Future of Afghan aviation?

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi guys! I was just wondering what some of you think about what Afghan aviation will look like in the future. The Taliban have taken most of the country and seem very close to capturing Kandahar, and probably the rest of Afghanistan as well. What will happen to the likes of Kam air or Ariana Afghan airlines, or TK at KBL and MZR, and EK's operations at KBL? All those airlines still have bookable flights to most Afghan cities, even Kandahar starting August 14th. If or when do you think TK or EK will officially suspend operation?

mxaxai

Re: Future of Afghan aviation?

Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:45 pm

Unless the airports themselves come under attack, I doubt that TK will suspend operations. The turkish government has an interest in maintaining air links with Afghanistan.

eurotrader85

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:19 pm

The Taliban taking over will turn the clock back on the economic advancements, all be it small, the country has made in the period of limited stability in the areas of Kandahar, Kabul and other major urban areas following the drive out of those forces by the coalition in conjunction with the Afghan military. The idea FDI will continue to flow into a country that is run by a brutal regime, limiting peoples human rights, is not plausible and the knock-on effect economically on the country's inhabitants will sadly be brutal. Put aside the inevitable security issues scarring off foreign carriers, the economic impact will probably be such that frequencies and pax will at best drop, most likely disappear. There is nothing positive coming from this sad situation.

DartHerald

Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:57 pm

The Taleban's philosophy of life seems to be firmly rooted in the middle ages, and how much air travel was there then?

NOLAWildcat

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Kinda depressing to see an article last February about Kam Air operating a sector between Kabul and Kandahar with a first-ever all-female crew in light of the current situation. I can’t imagine that ever happens again should the Taliban succeed in toppling the Afghan government.

Personally, I don’t expect Kam Air or Ariana to survive much past that event either.

IceCream
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:36 pm

NOLAWildcat wrote:
Kinda depressing to see an article last February about Kam Air operating a sector between Kabul and Kandahar with a first-ever all-female crew in light of the current situation. I can’t imagine that ever happens again should the Taliban succeed in toppling the Afghan government.

Personally, I don’t expect Kam Air or Ariana to survive much past that event either.

I remember that, it's really sad. Now Kandahar is gone. Afghan aviation was just starting to take off :(

crosscheckyyz

Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:54 pm

I truly expected Safi to have lasted a lot longer than it had. I'm sure Ariana will continue to survive, under the Taliban they still operated flights into Pakistan and I think it was to Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

IceCream
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:38 am

crosscheckyyz wrote:
I truly expected Safi to have lasted a lot longer than it had. I'm sure Ariana will continue to survive, under the Taliban they still operated flights into Pakistan and I think it was to Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

I hope they can still keep some sort of a domestic network as well (same for Kam air).

Fliplot

Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:10 am

I think you can take that neither will survive in their current format. Too much despised western influence. But tge Taliban will need. some transport links

IceCream
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:45 am

Fliplot wrote:
I think you can take that neither will survive in their current format. Too much despised western influence. But tge Taliban will need. some transport links

At this point, I'd guess it'll be similar to last time. UAE and Pak might recognize the new government and there might be a flight to DXB and ISB.

Toinou

Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:49 am

A taliban delegation was received for talks in China with officials in late July. That may not be "friendly" yet but it's not exactly hostile. (Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/world/asia/china-taliban-afghanistan.html)

oceanvikram

Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Hmmm ... I think the real question is ... who in Afghanistan will be able to read and write?

Blerg

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:19 pm

I think Afghani aviation will more or less stay as is. I mean it's not like Afghanistan thrived under US occupation. Kabul needs foreign support and they are most likely going to get it from China and in return they give them access to the country's mineral wealth.

I can see Ariana get that Chinese made airplane in the future and maybe introduce flights to Beijing or another point in the country from where FDI will flow in.

AntonioMartin

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Blerg wrote:
I think Afghani aviation will more or less stay as is. I mean it's not like Afghanistan thrived under US occupation. Kabul needs foreign support and they are most likely going to get it from China and in return they give them access to the country's mineral wealth.

I can see Ariana get that Chinese made airplane in the future and maybe introduce flights to Beijing or another point in the country from where FDI will flow in.

Is it possible then we might see some Chinese carriers enter Afghanistan soon too?

FiscAutTecGarte

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:18 pm

China enjoys trade and many other political, economic benefits with Iran. They will do so with the Taliban, as well. China doesn't seem to mind ignoring EU and US policy when there is money to made.

Back on topic, I wonder if we will see the Chinese made aircraft as part of the fleets of both of these countries eventually.

IceCream
Topic Author

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:52 pm

FiscAutTecGarte wrote:
China enjoys trade and many other political, economic benefits with Iran. They will do so with the Taliban, as well. China doesn't seem to mind ignoring EU and US policy when there is money to made.

Back on topic, I wonder if we will see the Chinese made aircraft as part of the fleets of both of these countries eventually.

If the country becomes isolated from most other countries because of the Taliban, then I would assume that Chinese aircraft would pretty much be their only choice. Chinese airlines might see flying to Afghanistan as risky, so they might just get Ariana to do it.

Blerg

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:19 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Is it possible then we might see some Chinese carriers enter Afghanistan soon too?

We might but I could rather see Ariana fly to China as they need those routes more than the Chinese need to fly to Kabul.

BN727227Ultra

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:44 pm

Toinou wrote:
A taliban delegation was received for talks in China with officials in late July. That may not be "friendly" yet but it's not exactly hostile. (Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/world/asia/china-taliban-afghanistan.html)

I don't want to get political, but will the Taliban throw the Uyghurs under the bus in order to get Chinese money and tech? Honestly, nothing would surprise me.

FlapOperator

Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:22 pm

Fliplot wrote:

Just drive to Peshawar.

32andBelow

Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm

Toinou wrote:

Aren’t they driving around executing provincial officials right now?

IceCream
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:05 am

32andBelow wrote:
Toinou wrote:

Aren’t they driving around executing provincial officials right now?

Yeah, but they would still need to rely on China's support to function as a state once all of Afghanistan is taken (I would assume)

crosscheckyyz

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:12 am

FlapOperator wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Just drive to Peshawar.

You do realize that the drive between Kabul and Peshawar is give or take 5-6 hours? And that's in good conditions.

davidjohnson6

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:16 am

If China is to provide non-trivial support for Afghanistan, China will want something in return. That likely means mineral rights or military bases
The Taliban regime pre 2001 was not nice at all. China has no history of comradeship with Afghanistan unlike North Korea; even China may baulk at getting into bed with a particularly nasty regime

eta unknown

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:20 am

oceanvikram wrote:
Hmmm ... I think the real question is ... who in Afghanistan will be able to read and write?

Answer: males

jomur

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:26 am

I doubt China will want any thing to do with the Taliban. The Taliban are as much as a threat risk to China as to the rest of the world. At least Iran and North Korea are not trying to move the whole world backwards.

cedarjet

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:56 am

The Taliban were in charge for most of the 90s and the aviation sector didn’t change much, Ariana’s clapped out old jets flew daily. And it’s not as though the country or its airlines flourished under US occupation. Nothing much will change.

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 am

jomur wrote:
I doubt China will want any thing to do with the Taliban. The Taliban are as much as a threat risk to China as to the rest of the world. At least Iran and North Korea are not trying to move the whole world backwards.

Hot off the press. Seems like it's only a matter of time when Beijing recognizes the Talibans as the legitimate political factor that's running the country. Furthermore, the Taliban themselves said that they hope China will play a much bigger economic role. We have to see what the Taliban 2.0 regime will look like and what their priorities will be. If they are focusing on the economy then things might not be as bad.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/tal ... 021-08-14/

I expect massive amount of FDI to flow into Afghanistan from China among which will be planes for Ariana. We could also see China play a bigger role in upgrading the country's airport infrastructure. If China manages to tame the Talibans then Afghanistan might finally see some stability which will enable it to invest in major infrastructure projects.

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:04 am

cedarjet wrote:
The Taliban were in charge for most of the 90s and the aviation sector didn’t change much, Ariana’s clapped out old jets flew daily. And it’s not as though the country or its airlines flourished under US occupation. Nothing much will change.

Weren't the Talibans in charge from 1996 to 2001?

BawliBooch

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:06 am

My forecast on Afghan Aviation:

- Market will definitely contract. With various ongoing projects suspended, Contractors and their families will have no reason to travel. Tourists will not visit a country with a murderous regime in charge.

- Most private carriers will be gone. Some airlines owned by influential owners will ally with the Taliban and keep a whittled down operation to places like Dubai. Many owners have significant investments in Dubai.

- Ariana will survive but will significantly scale down its operations internationally to Delhi, Islamabad, Quetta and ofcourse Dubai. They will try for a European station to route traffic. My prediction is FRA.

- For domestic operations, expect to see a dozen MA60 and Y-12 type aircraft to be ordered by all Airlines including Ariana.

SCQ83

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:20 am

BawliBooch wrote:
- Ariana will survive but will significantly scale down its operations internationally to Delhi, Islamabad, Quetta and ofcourse Dubai. They will try for a European station to route traffic. My prediction is FRA.

If the Taliban take power, the EU would never allow a Taliban-ruled Ariana to fly to any EU airport.

If they were to fly somewhere in Europe, I bet on Moscow (even Syrian Air flies there) or Istanbul if the relation with Putin/Erdogan is good enough.

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:59 am

SCQ83 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

If the Taliban take power, the EU would never allow a Taliban-ruled Ariana to fly to any EU airport.

If they were to fly somewhere in Europe, I bet on Moscow (even Syrian Air flies there) or Istanbul if the relation with Putin/Erdogan is good enough.

Never say never. If the EU has an economic interest they will allow them to fly wherever they want to in the EU. Once they process the new reality, Europeans will try to set up economic relations with Afghanistan. I am sure the EU will at some point pitch the A320 and possibly the A330 to Ariana... to be paid for by the government of course.

seansasLCY

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:59 am

SCQ83 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

The EU rarely has any ban based on the country’s government. It usually only bans carriers based on safety. They allowed flights from Iran and China. Both of which are questionable dictatorships. Even Air Koryo is permitted with the TU204.

Aesma

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:20 pm

If the Taliban cause millions of refugees flooding towards the EU (which is not a big if, it has been happening for years already) then that's not the same as Iran which is just nasty but not causing any issues for us.

UPS Pilot

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:44 pm

I have a different take on this. Afghanistan is sitting on the largest lithium reserve on the planet. China is the largest producer of lithium batteries. With more world dependence on Lithium batteries, especially in electric vehicles, Afghanistan will be a main focus. China owns exploration rights for these minerals. They bribed Afghani officials to get those rights.

Look for air traffic to grow as the mining grows in Afghanistan. Both Cargo and Passenger flights. China is kissing the Talibans a$$. Something the Soviets didn’t do in the ‘80’s and the US hasn’t done for the past 21 years.

Phosphorus

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Aesma wrote:
If the Taliban cause millions of refugees flooding towards the EU (which is not a big if, it has been happening for years already) then that's not the same as Iran which is just nasty but not causing any issues for us.

Somebody would have to be actively aiding and abetting this "flooding towards the EU" process. In case of Syria, that was Turkey. In case of Iraq, the most recent suspect is Belarus and a spike of "Iraqi tourist planes" heading to Minsk, full one way, empty the other.

In your opinion, who would be enabling that, this time? From Afghanistan to anywhere in the EU, it's at least a few borders away. Minimum amount of borders -- via Iran thenTurkey to Greece; or via Uzbekistan then Kazakhstan then Russia to Finland or the Baltic states.
Or it would have to be a maritime route, via either Pakistan or Iran first.
Not that it wouldn't happen. Just for it to happen en masse, it's gotta be a state actor pushing this.

ahj2000

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:30 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
I have a different take on this. Afghanistan is sitting on the largest lithium reserve on the planet. China is the largest producer of lithium batteries. With more world dependence on Lithium batteries, especially in electric vehicles, Afghanistan will be a main focus. China owns exploration rights for these minerals. They bribed Afghani officials to get those rights.

Look for air traffic to grow as the mining grows in Afghanistan. Both Cargo and Passenger flights. China is kissing the Talibans a$$. Something the Soviets didn’t do in the ‘80’s and the US hasn’t done for the past 21 years.

Yeah the lithium deposits are concerning. Basically how I see the Taliban funding their regime when Kabul falls.
It’s a sad time, and we May say that of course foreign carriers can serve KBL, but will the market be there? Will the Taliban allow for freedom of movement and freedom to leave, especially among women?

Aesma

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:30 pm

Also Turkey, apparently : https://www.economist.com/europe/2021/0 ... er-numbers

You mentioned Belarus, that's a good example of a country that has lost its flights to the EU.

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:36 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:

Do you know where Chinese mining companies are based? That is in which cities? That would be a good indicator of where flights might be launched.

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:10 pm

Short update. Taliban regime currently controls 19/34 provinces and fighting for Mazar-i-Sharif has begun early this morning.

According to FR24, Kam Air operated two flights, the second on the A340. I wonder if this has to do with them trying to evacuate people out of there before the city falls.

birdup

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:13 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
Toinou wrote:

I don't want to get political, but will the Taliban throw the Uyghurs under the bus in order to get Chinese money and tech? Honestly, nothing would surprise me.

Pakistan is looking the other way regarding the Uyghurs as China invests lots of money in their country as part of their belt and road initiative. I’d expect the same, money talks.

IceCream
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:22 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
My forecast on Afghan Aviation:

- Market will definitely contract. With various ongoing projects suspended, Contractors and their families will have no reason to travel. Tourists will not visit a country with a murderous regime in charge.

- Most private carriers will be gone. Some airlines owned by influential owners will ally with the Taliban and keep a whittled down operation to places like Dubai. Many owners have significant investments in Dubai.

- For domestic operations, expect to see a dozen MA60 and Y-12 type aircraft to be ordered by all Airlines including Ariana.

It would be interesting to see a flight from Taliban-controlled Afghanistan land in Europe! While I don't think India and the Taliban are very friendly, I'm sure they see the writing on the wall, so a DEL flight is a possibility.

IceCream
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:28 pm

Blerg wrote:
Short update. Taliban regime currently controls 19/34 provinces and fighting for Mazar-i-Sharif has begun early this morning.

According to FR24, Kam Air operated two flights, the second on the A340. I wonder if this has to do with them trying to evacuate people out of there before the city falls.

Quite possibly. I guess we can now say bye-bye to TY's MZR flight :(
Everyone here has brought up some good points and while the Taliban are obviously not a great regime, there's hope that the aviation sector can survive. If any EU/US countries were to sanction this new Afghanistan then Chinese planes have to be the future for Ariana and/or Kam Air. I hope the domestic runs can stay alive as well.
Will the FAs and/or pilots be forced to wear a certain dress code?

BN727227Ultra

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:28 pm

birdup wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
Toinou wrote:

Pakistan is looking the other way regarding the Uyghurs as China invests lots of money in their country as part of their belt and road initiative. I’d expect the same, money talks.

Sigh. :roll:

dfwking

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:05 pm

There is a significant amount of Afghan workers in the Gulf (especially Saudi Arabia). Pre-covid, Air Arabia and flydubai used to transport a lot of workers through the UAE. I fully expect that to continue even if the Taliban takeover.

seansasLCY

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:26 pm

Afghanistan probably won’t order any planes. It’s a very poor country. As it is the airlines mostly operate old used aircraft anyway. Under the Taliban previously Ariana was operating 727s and A300 in the late 90s.

This isn’t Iran with oil money and years of demand for new aircraft. There was nothing to stop them ordering anything in recent years and they never did.

It might end up with an MA60 donated from China like some African nations did but even then they don’t usually last long.

IceCream
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:59 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
Afghanistan probably won’t order any planes. It’s a very poor country. As it is the airlines mostly operate old used aircraft anyway. Under the Taliban previously Ariana was operating 727s and A300 in the late 90s.

This isn’t Iran with oil money and years of demand for new aircraft. There was nothing to stop them ordering anything in recent years and they never did.

It might end up with an MA60 donated from China like some African nations did but even then they don’t usually last long.

Fair point. Looks like Mazar I Sharif is being entered by Taliban right now. TY will probably take it off their schedule now?

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:44 pm

IceCream wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Fair point. Looks like Mazar I Sharif is being entered by Taliban right now. TY will probably take it off their schedule now?

Are they entering it? The last I read was that their offensive was pushed back by the city's defenses. However Taliban army seems to be attacking them from three fronts so I doubt they will be able to keep it up for much longer.

Btw I read online that China already promised to invest in the country's road network if Taliban forces conquer the whole country. Taliban leaders have been to Iran, Russia and China seeking international support. Seems like they will do things differently this time around.

IceCream
Topic Author

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Blerg wrote:
IceCream wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

Are they entering it? The last I read was that their offensive was pushed back by the city's defenses. However Taliban army seems to be attacking them from three fronts so I doubt they will be able to keep it up for much longer.

Btw I read online that China already promised to invest in the country's road network if Taliban forces conquer the whole country. Taliban leaders have been to Iran, Russia and China seeking international support. Seems like they will do things differently this time around.

I asked some Afghans and they said it has been entered. News sites are starting to report on this
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-bu ... d176987b19

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:59 pm

The NYT also reports Mazar I Sharif has fallen.

Blerg

Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:04 pm

I guess it's only a matter of time before Kabul falls to the Taliban.

It is being reported that they are also attacking Jalalabad which next to Kabul is the only major city still controlled by the government.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/world ... zar-297601