Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Fast Fashion is killing the environment

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:49 am

Although air travel is the prime target of environmental groups, other human activities are MUCH more harmful to our planet. Eating meat is one of them, and owning a dog is another.

One of the worst things we do is shopping at H&M, Zara, and other fast fashion retailers.

Global clothing production has doubled since 2000. This means we're using far more cotton, dyes, and plastic fibers to manufacture clothes.

A far more serious problem, though, is what happens to our unwanted clothing when we're tired of wearing it. Many people think that donating it to charity shops will solve the problem, but this very thought provoking article says that much of our unwanted clothing is shipped to Ghana and other less developed countries after we give it to charities. Ultimately, our unwanted clothes wind up in poorly maintained landfills, or the ocean.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-12/ ... OWJnzv552c

Our planet would be much better off if Greta Thunberg and other activists spent less time discouraging people from flying, and more time encouraging people to no longer shop at H&M and Zara.

drew777

Re: Fast Fashion is killing the environment

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:16 am

Isn't this akin to blaming global warming on Africans because they cook over burning wood?

At work my flame resistant coveralls come packaged in a plastic bag. I open a clean pair 4 days a week. There are hundreds of employees and no attempt to recycle these bags. I have no right to complain about landfills in Ghana and I imagine most of us can find similar waste in their own lives.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 am

drew777 wrote:
Isn't this akin to blaming global warming on Africans because they cook over burning wood?

At work my flame resistant coveralls come packaged in a plastic bag. I open a clean pair 4 days a week. There are hundreds of employees and no attempt to recycle these bags. I have no right to complain about landfills in Ghana and I imagine most of us can find similar waste in their own lives.

I think the point the article was trying to make is that the problem isn't caused by Africans; it's caused by consumers in the US, Europe, and Australia.

If consumers in the US and Europe would buy fewer clothes, and keep the clothes they do buy for longer intervals of time, then there would be MUCH less used clothing shipped to Africa, where it creates the environmental problems described in the article. If H&M and Zara were to disappear, then so would most of the pollution described in the article.

mad99

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:55 am

I don't think Zara fits the buy and bin clothing line. H&M definitely is.
Few people know the value of things, that’s why Chinese low cost, low quality, high environmental damage is king.

Aesma

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:59 am

I buy low cost clothes as I'm not into fashion, and I make them last until there is a hole or something, so my contribution to this is quite limited.

I've seen a documentary about clothing donated to charities ending up being sold to Africans, it's quite disconcerting.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:55 am

Why stop at fashion? Why not go after tech companies and their incessant need to launch new products every single year rather than providing long lasting products that's modular & easily repairable?

Aesma

Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 pm

In the EU making stuff repairable (like washing machines, fridges etc.) is now mandatory, as well as providing spare parts for 10 years. This is easier to do thanks to 3D printing.

Also there is no need to make aviation out to be some kind of scapegoat, fast fashion is also being targeted, and the companies you mention are aware of the issue and already looking at solutions.

There will not be "everyone except aviation" reducing emissions. Everyone will have to reduce emissions, including aviation.

L410Turbolet

Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:07 pm

Aesma wrote:
In the EU making stuff repairable (like washing machines, fridges etc.) is now mandatory, as well as providing spare parts for 10 years.

Cost of repair often being 60-80% of a price for new appliance.

einsteinboricua

Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:34 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Our planet would be much better off if Greta Thunberg and other activists spent less time discouraging people from flying, and more time encouraging people to no longer shop at H&M and Zara.

I am as much of a supporter for green technology, sustainability, recycling, and whatnot, but this statement is the stepping stone to making things worse.

How many people do you personally know (inner circle of friends and family) who shop monthly at either store? You'll likely find out that the impact of shopping at these retailers is quite minimal compared to other things.

People don't want to be told what to do. You CAN speak about being mindful of using clothes until breaking point or to pass them on, but to tell someone to not shop at X or Y? That's intrusion and even I wouldn't accept being told where I should and shouldn't buy clothes from. I think that's why Greta rubs many people the wrong way: she advocates for a worthy cause, but her delivery and execution is off (and let's be honest: a first world teenager complaining about how her childhood sucked and how we're not making it any better isn't exactly the idea of a worthy messenger).

Aaron747

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

I am as much of a supporter for green technology, sustainability, recycling, and whatnot, but this statement is the stepping stone to making things worse.

How many people do you personally know (inner circle of friends and family) who shop monthly at either store? You'll likely find out that the impact of shopping at these retailers is quite minimal compared to other things.

People don't want to be told what to do. You CAN speak about being mindful of using clothes until breaking point or to pass them on, but to tell someone to not shop at X or Y? That's intrusion and even I wouldn't accept being told where I should and shouldn't buy clothes from. I think that's why Greta rubs many people the wrong way: she advocates for a worthy cause, but her delivery and execution is off (and let's be honest: a first world teenager complaining about how her childhood sucked and how we're not making it any better isn't exactly the idea of a worthy messenger).

Due to her condition I don’t think she is able to sugarcoat and deliver things in a way that is PR-sprinkle goodness. People forget that part.

johns624

Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:22 pm

This thread gives new meaning to the term "fashion police".

Virtual737

Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Due to her condition I don’t think she is able to sugarcoat and deliver things in a way that is PR-sprinkle goodness. People forget that part.

How dare you! (see what I did there ? ;) )

ER757

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:30 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
Although air travel is the prime target of environmental groups, other human activities are MUCH more harmful to our planet. Eating meat is one of them, and owning a dog is another.

One of the worst things we do is shopping at H&M, Zara, and other fast fashion retailers.

Global clothing production has doubled since 2000. This means we're using far more cotton, dyes, and plastic fibers to manufacture clothes.

A far more serious problem, though, is what happens to our unwanted clothing when we're tired of wearing it. Many people think that donating it to charity shops will solve the problem, but this very thought provoking article says that much of our unwanted clothing is shipped to Ghana and other less developed countries after we give it to charities. Ultimately, our unwanted clothes wind up in poorly maintained landfills, or the ocean.

Can you elaborate on how owning a dog is harmful to the planet? I hadn't heard that one before and am curious as to the reasoning behind that statement?

c933103

Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:57 pm

I don't think "fast fashion" mean "dress and dump"?

seb146

Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:46 pm

Clothing lasts if you wear it more than once. I still have clothes from before I joined this board I still wear regularly. I do not shop H&M because I can not afford it. I usually shop Kohl's, Macy's, Express, or Nordstrom Rack.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:46 pm

ER757 wrote:
WA707atMSP wrote:

Can you elaborate on how owning a dog is harmful to the planet? I hadn't heard that one before and am curious as to the reasoning behind that statement?

It takes a lot of energy to manufacture the food dogs eat, and distribute it to retailers. A scientist at UCLA, one of America's best universities, says the meat eaten by the US's dogs and cats results in 64 million tons of carbon dioxide, the same amount of CO2 emitted by 13.6 million cars. Some of the meat eaten by pets would otherwise be discarded, but much of it would be eaten by humans, and the shift to premium pet foods is making the problem worse. Here's a link to UCLA's study:

https://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/the- ... tal-impact

The BBC, one of the world's best sources of news, goes even further, and says the environmental impact of owning a medium sized dog, like a retriever, is the same as the environmental impact of owning a large SUV. Here's a link to the article.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/ar ... vironment/

johns624

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:09 pm

I would rather own a retriever than a large SUV. Your BBC "article" is four very short paragraphs without any real information or sources. You have to do better than that.

ER757

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:22 pm

johns624 wrote:
I would rather own a retriever than a large SUV. Your BBC "article" is four very short paragraphs without any real information or sources. You have to do better than that.

:bigthumbsup: Sorry, not giving up my Golden. I'll just drive a little less and turn the thermostat down a couple degrees in winter to offset his four carbon footprints (I mean pawprints)

Aesma

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:39 pm

If the dog replaces a kid then it's good.

Dutchy

Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:59 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:

At this stage, it isn't a question of one 'or' the other measure, but 'and' We need to do it all. We cannot point to fashing and say, we need to get rid of that, and leave aviation alone - as much as I would like to do that -, or I'll eat less meat in order to wear the latest fashion.

But sure, high cycle fashion isn't good for the environment. Nowadays, as a shop, - fast fashion-, you need to excide your consumer with new things, not 4 times a year with a new collection, but every month or even every week. Companies like Zara and H&M throw away hundred of millions worth of cloth because they are out of fashion. I am not fashion-minded, so I am more than fine to buy cloth with a discount and not too many.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:04 pm

johns624 wrote:

Okay, I've done better. Here's a more detailed article about the environmental consequences of dog ownership, which the BBC article was probably based on:

https://swt.org/petfootprint/PetEcoFoot ... 9-1023.pdf

One scientist in this article says "Owning a dog is really quite an extravagance, mainly because of the carbon footprint of meat".

Personally, I don't have a problem with people who own dogs, or shop at H&M. However, I do have a MAJOR problem with people who own dogs and / or shop at H&M criticizing me because I travel via air, when their decisions about pet ownership and clothes shopping have the same environmental consequences that my decision to use air travel does. And, if these people expect me to take fewer trips via air, and / or pay more taxes for air travel to offset air travel's environmental impact, I also feel people should be expected to own fewer pets and clothes, and / or be expected to pay the same higher taxes that air travelers pay, to offset the environmental impact of clothing purchases and pet ownership.

If we're serious about fighting climate change, everyone needs to make sacrifices, not just air travelers.

johns624

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:52 pm

That's really no better. For one, the main people they quote are architects, not scientists. For another, they make it sound like livestock is raised just to feed dogs and cats. Wrong. They get what's left over after the meat is processed for human consumption.
Shorter Work Time dot org?

meecrob

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:58 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
If we're serious about fighting climate change, everyone needs to make sacrifices, not just air travelers.

I think that is going to be the big problem. Air travelers are "bourgeoisie" whereas someone buying clothes sees it as a necessity.

johns624

Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Okay, everyone buys the minimum of clothes needed, lives in the smallest house that's practical, never flies anywhere, etc. Very quickly, most of the work force will be unemployed.

meecrob

Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:37 pm

Let me fix it for you: Everyone buys durable, practical clothes that are also fashionable, lives in a house that has modern, efficient HVAC and solar, and never flies when a more efficient method of transportation is available.

Now clearly we cannot do this overnight. There is a huge perception problem, which is what I was alluding to. People who buy fast-fashion frequently have no idea the harm their purchases are doing.
(I'm only picking on fast-fashion due to the topic - there are probably thousands of areas this could apply to...and I'm probably guilty of a few myself!)

johns624

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:35 am

meecrob wrote:
Let me fix it for you: Everyone buys durable, practical clothes that are also fashionable, lives in a house that has modern, efficient HVAC and solar, and never flies when a more efficient method of transportation is available.

Now clearly we cannot do this overnight. There is a huge perception problem, which is what I was alluding to. People who buy fast-fashion frequently have no idea the harm their purchases are doing.
(I'm only picking on fast-fashion due to the topic - there are probably thousands of areas this could apply to...and I'm probably guilty of a few myself!)
How much do you get paid to babysit grown people?

ltbewr

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:55 am

A lot of 'fast fashion' is poorly made and often of non-degradable, basically plastic fibers. Good clothing is made of cotton, wool and other 'natural' based fabrics. Much of 'fast fashion' is to sell cheap, only worn a few times as the fickle as clothing styles are (mainly for women) as falls apart especially it try to wash it. There is the exploitation of the workers getting paid a fraction of 'western' countries similar workers (for the few left), in dangerous conditions and the profits to go to factory owners or the store owners. A $9.99 blouse or 'dressy' T-shirt likely costs about $2 to make, ship and distribute.

CitizenJustin

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:25 am

Quality over quantity. No one needs to go a fast fashion chain store and fill a plastic bag with $5 shirts. No one needs a $5 shirt. They fall apart and need replacement, so you’re not really saving money. It’s good to invest in quality clothing that will outlast trends and wear and tear. There’s so many options these days and you can buy quality for an affordable price. Plus you’re supporting the designer and the creative process behind the clothes.

maverick4002

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:36 am

seb146 wrote:
Clothing lasts if you wear it more than once. I still have clothes from before I joined this board I still wear regularly. I do not shop H&M because I can not afford it. I usually shop Kohl's, Macy's, Express, or Nordstrom Rack.

Macys for sure is more expensive that HM

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:46 am

I think I’ve only bought funky socks at H&M and they don’t hold their color long. I bought yellow Pikachu socks back in February-ish of this year and they already look worse than the ones I bought at a gift shop in Idaho Springs, CO. I’m not a fashion-minded guy anyway but my go-to brand is Levi’s and those last forever.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:49 am

meecrob wrote:

Unless you are personally in charge of approving lifestyles, this is just something to be encouraged but nothing more.

Durable, practical clothing that's also fashionable? Fashion is subjective. What someone may consider fashionable may not be considered as such by another.

House with modern HVAC and solar? You can mandate the former through standards (and I believe in many places, this is the norm). The latter? Good luck getting many areas above 45N (or below 45S) to get power from solar. Perhaps have generation in sunnier places and transfer energy to the higher latitudes, but a house in Norway with just solar panels will likely be dark for greater part of the year and barely powered on when the sun IS out.

Never flies when a more efficient method is available? Maybe in Europe it makes sense to not fly given the size of the continent and the many rail lines connecting the countries (and the efficient metros of many). Try taking a train from New York to Atlanta. Will you really stand to ride a train for over 18 hours when a plane gets you there in less than 2? The train likely spews out less CO2 so it's technically more environmentally friendly than the plane. Driving a car takes about 13hrs (more if you count the pit stops) but it's still just slightly greener than a jet yet significantly less so than the train. Oh, and this is assuming that you can actually walk to your boarding area without using any other means of transportation.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:07 am

johns624 wrote:
That's really no better. For one, the main people they quote are architects, not scientists. For another, they make it sound like livestock is raised just to feed dogs and cats. Wrong. They get what's left over after the meat is processed for human consumption.
Shorter Work Time dot org?

Although the researchers who identified the dreadful environmental impact of dog ownership were architects, New Scientist magazine asked John Barrett, a researcher at the Stockholm Environment Institute in the UK who has written many academic articles about climate change, to do further research. Mr. Barrett's analysis agreed almost completely with the architects' research.

It was Mr. Barrett who said "Owning a dog really is quite an extravagance". When one of the UK's most highly regarded climate change scientists says owning a dog is bad for the environment, that means owning a dog truly is bad for the environment.

Google "John Barrett" "Stockholm Environment Institute" to see many of Mr. Barrett's other non-dog related environmental research projects.

Your comment about how pets "get what's left over after the meat is processed for human consumption" might have been true in the past, but that's no longer the case. The UCLA article I shared up thread says " some of the products in pet food aren’t something people should or would eat. But some of it is. In his research, he confirmed his hunch that premium pet foods usually contain more animal products than other brands, and that premium pet food purchases are increasing. As growing numbers of people consider pets less as animals and more as family members, Okin said, pampering has increased and the options for pet food with high-quality meat has kept pace. This means pets are increasingly eating cuts of meat suitable for humans".

Also, whether or not pets eat human quality meat, everything they eat needs to be shipped from pet food factories to pet stores, which requires a lot of petroleum. Everything dogs eat comes out the other end, and the fecal matter America's dogs spew out every day is equivalent to the garbage generated by every human in Massachusetts: 20 billion pounds of dog excrement a year, that has to be taken to landfills, or winds up in rivers and streams (and, before you ask me for it, I can back these assertions up with articles from reliable sources).

extender

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:50 am

Strikes me as Orwellian. Almost sounds like you want to euthanize all of man's best friends.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:23 pm

extender wrote:
Strikes me as Orwellian. Almost sounds like you want to euthanize all of man's best friends.

I don't want to euthanize dogs.

However, I do want dog owners, and people who shop at H&M, to be treated the same way that people who use air travel are treated.

If people who use air travel are forced to pay increased taxes that reflect the environmental impact of air travel, then taxes on dog food should be increased to reflect the environmental impact of dog ownership, and taxes on clothing should be increased to reflect the environmental impact of fast fashion.

Every industry should be treated equally. No industry should be treated unfairly, or be singled out for unusually favorable treatment.

johns624

Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:59 pm

extender wrote:
Yep! He doesn't seem to even think about all the good that dogs do. They protect us. They keep us healthier because they get us out walking. They lower our blood pressure by their very presence.

Aesma

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:10 pm

johns624 wrote:
How much do you get paid to babysit grown people?

Grown people are destroying the planet without a care in the world, should we not do anything about it ? Let it to our kids to figure it out, having to work hard to fix things that only needed a small change from us ?

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:27 pm

johns624 wrote:
extender wrote:
Yep! He doesn't seem to even think about all the good that dogs do. They protect us. They keep us healthier because they get us out walking. They lower our blood pressure by their very presence.

The point I've been trying to make, which dog lovers aren't willing to accept, is that although dogs do a lot of good things, there are also serious environmental consequences to dog ownership which have been clearly documented by scientists in the USA, the UK, and elsewhere.

The same is true of air travel, which, despite its well known impact on the environment, does many good things by bringing people from all over the world together, and, thanks to air travel related tourism, provides jobs in less developed countries.

I feel dogs, fast fashion, air travel, and all other industries should be treated equally, because every industry does both good things and bad things. If taxes are raised on air travel to reflect its impact on the environment, then taxes should also be raised on dog food and clothing to reflect their impact on the environment. No industry should receive favorable environmental tax treatment because it is "special", and no industry should receive unfavorable environmental tax treatment, either.

extender

Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:30 pm

Sorry, I do not endorse the Greta approach. Higher taxes for having pets? Brave New World much? Who determines what fast fashion is? Depeche mode? Treating industries unfairly? You'd have to nuke China for starters, no respect for the environment while mass producing copies of inferior quality while limiting human rights. We all need to do something, but everyone needs to get on board.

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:59 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Aesma wrote:
In the EU making stuff repairable (like washing machines, fridges etc.) is now mandatory, as well as providing spare parts for 10 years.

Cost of repair often being 60-80% of a price for new appliance.

Exactly, the plastic fruit and veg bins in our Miele fridge were all cracked, I went to buy new ones, the fridge was bought in 2007, 4 new bins were going to cost 4500 NOK, I bought a new fridge for 9k.

seb146

Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:03 pm

I don't understand the connection with pets. If we are "going there" let's just put a high tax on our own human food since it also contributes to climate change. Even a vegan diet contributes to CO2 emissions and poisons our land. Animals are in nature. They eat food, like other animals and plants. People who have pets are already paying more with vet bills, and pet toys and pet food and pet insurance. And they give back to us, so I consider that an even and fair trade.

As far as clothing goes, I check the label. There are some items that we can not help are made from plastics. Lycra and polyester in socks and some neck ties and under garments and athletic wear.

Aesma

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 am

extender wrote:
Sorry, I do not endorse the Greta approach. Higher taxes for having pets? Brave New World much? Who determines what fast fashion is? Depeche mode? Treating industries unfairly? You'd have to nuke China for starters, no respect for the environment while mass producing copies of inferior quality while limiting human rights. We all need to do something, but everyone needs to get on board.

Who is buying what China is making ? It's increasingly not China making, actually, as it has become less competitive.

1337Delta764

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Aesma wrote:
extender wrote:

Who is buying what China is making ? It's increasingly not China making, actually, as it has become less competitive.

I have a lot of polo shirts made in India or Kenya, a lot of shorts made in Bangladesh, and a lot of button-down shirts made in Bangladesh or Ethiopia.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:00 am

ltbewr wrote:
A lot of 'fast fashion' is poorly made and often of non-degradable, basically plastic fibers. Good clothing is made of cotton, wool and other 'natural' based fabrics. Much of 'fast fashion' is to sell cheap, only worn a few times as the fickle as clothing styles are (mainly for women) as falls apart especially it try to wash it. There is the exploitation of the workers getting paid a fraction of 'western' countries similar workers (for the few left), in dangerous conditions and the profits to go to factory owners or the store owners. A $9.99 blouse or 'dressy' T-shirt likely costs about $2 to make, ship and distribute.

Another problem with fast fashion is that, because the clothing is so poorly made, when it is washed small fragments of plastic fibers fall off the clothing. These fibers are too small to be caught by the filters at wastewater treatment plants, so they wind up in our lakes and rivers....which exacerbates the horrific problem we have with plastic waste in our waters.

As others have said, we'd be much better off if people owned fewer clothes that are made from higher quality, more durable raw materials like cotton, and kept the clothing longer.