Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Resource for helping the women of Afghanistan

Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:31 pm

This thread is to contain ZERO political commentary - let alone mudslinging - about the troop withdrawal.

Here is a link to a Facebook fundraiser for helping Afghan women and girls access humanitarian resources they are going to badly need as the Taliban does what it does.

https://www.facebook.com/womenforafghanwomen/

scbriml

Re: Resource for helping the women of Afghanistan

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Airstud wrote:
This thread is to contain ZERO political commentary - let alone mudslinging - about the troop withdrawal.

Here is a link to a Facebook fundraiser for helping Afghan women and girls access humanitarian resources they are going to badly need as the Taliban does what it does.

That's all well and good but how can we be sure the money will get anywhere near the people that need it? How will those resources get past the Taliban if they're a simple reincarnation of Taliban 2000?

We absolutely should do all we can to help them, but so much aid money never gets to those that need it the most.

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:18 pm

scbriml wrote:
so much aid money never gets to those that need it the most.

Gross.

MohawkWeekend

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Gross - in what context? That aid money is stolen or that scbriml brought it up?

casinterest

Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:31 pm

scbriml wrote:
Airstud wrote:

That's all well and good but how can we be sure the money will get anywhere near the people that need it? How will those resources get past the Taliban if they're a simple reincarnation of Taliban 2000?

We absolutely should do all we can to help them, but so much aid money never gets to those that need it the most.

I get the jist that this is a US based non profit, that has been, and will continue to work for the women of Afghanistan. This may become more hands off in the future(lobby). I just have my doubts about what the Taliban will allow.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/16/10279292 ... fghanistan

The institute's director, Melanne Verveer, co-authored an op-ed in The Washington Post calling on the U.S. government to do more to protect Afghan women. She and her co-author, Tanya Henderson of Mina's List, called on the U.S. to charter direct evacuation flights for Afghan women activists and fund relocation efforts with money the Biden administration appropriated for Afghan refugees.

johns624

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:08 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
Gross - in what context? That aid money is stolen or that scbriml brought it up?
I was going to ask the same thing.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:14 pm

Airstud wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Gross.

The truth *is* gross, but necessary to address. We will need to observe over the next few months what humanitarian ops are permitted by the Taliban.

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Gross.

The truth *is* gross, but necessary to address. We will need to observe over the next few months what humanitarian ops are permitted by the Taliban.

...which necessitates us first observing what observations are permitted :boggled:

alfa164

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 am

Airstud wrote:
...which necessitates us first observing what observations are permitted :boggled:

Has Donald Rumsfeld been reincarnated as an A.net contributor?

:roll:

Aesma

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:52 am

An official website would be 1000% better than a facebook page. I never even click on facebook links. Facebook is destroying democracy.

CitizenJustin

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:10 am

Aesma wrote:
An official website would be 1000% better than a facebook page. I never even click on facebook links. Facebook is destroying democracy.

Agreed. Facebook will be the end of us.

CitizenJustin

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:12 am

I’d be more inclined to just help the children period. Not half of them.

dmg626

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:08 am

The women of Afghanistan’s only resource to help them was the US military. Now that resource is gone, the women are defenseless.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:25 am

Airstud wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Gross.

What's gross about it? He's being realistic.

Like Live Aid, most of the food either rotted on the docks or was taken by the army, they couldn't get the food to the people who needed it.

lightsaber

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Airstud wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Gross.

What's gross about it? He's being realistic.

Like Live Aid, most of the food either rotted on the docks or was taken by the army, they couldn't get the food to the people who needed it.

This is so sad as the women of Afghanistan are... well, going back 500 years.

I too never click on facebook links.
We should look at the rules they last imposed:
https://www.businessinsider.com/taliban ... ver-2021-8

Women had to wear coverings from head to toe.
Women were not allowed to work, except in very limited circumstances.
Women were barred from attending schools.
Women's healthcare was restricted.
Women were not allowed to leave their homes unless they were accompanied by male relatives.
Women could only use special buses and were only allowed to take taxis when with male relatives.
Women could not be on the street with men who were not related to them.
The windows of houses had to be painted over to stop outsiders from seeing women in their homes.

A society progresses when the education of the women boosts up the next generation. The advantages of female education, which are now forfeited in Afghanistan, are well known:
https://www.borgenmagazine.com/global-a ... %20More%20

We fought a 20 year war for them, but they didn't want to fight for themselves. I'm not sure how to donate to Afghanistan's women without funding the Taliban.
One of my favorite charities I stopped donating to when I took a shortcut through their parking lot and noticed the 36 brand new Lexus the charity had bought for the workers. Cars nicer than I could afford. Unfortunately, I now only donate to charities with high throughput fractions. Often I donate for building supplies that I then personally help in the labor to use as that seems to be the only way to ensure the money donated goes to good use today.

I really feel for the women of Afghanistan as a father of daughters. But there is absolutely nothing meaningful than can be done for them other than get them out. At this point, they are breed stock for the Taliban army. :cry2: Their lives are now constrained to within the burqa.

Lightsaber

frmrCapCadet

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:08 pm

The Gates Foundation has determined with a lot of certainty that the best way to help children, besides some very basic medical things is to help their mothers. Mothers care, they are more likely to sacrifice to feed, educate, protect and aid their children than are men. There may be an evolutionary element to this.

LCDFlight

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:58 pm

The most important thing that brings societies forward (developmental economics) is educating girls. The rest follows. A crucial consequence is they stop having 7 kids each, settling at about 2 kids instead. India did this. As a result, India is climbing its way steadily out poverty. If you have to distill success down to one thing, that is the thing. Educating girls.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:18 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
The most important thing that brings societies forward (developmental economics) is educating girls. The rest follows. A crucial consequence is they stop having 7 kids each, settling at about 2 kids instead. India did this. As a result, India is climbing its way steadily out poverty. If you have to distill success down to one thing, that is the thing. Educating girls.

AFG has expanded then retracted womens’ rights and roles four or five times in the last hundred years. It’s not an idea anywhere near fully cemented yet.

CH47A

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:16 am

If anyone sincerely wants to help any peoples anywhere on this planet by asking somebody to give money to some cause, there is a simple way to achieve some sense of confidence in your target money-donating group; give us an easy to read chart of EXACTLY what is done with the money from the moment it leaves our control!

I am serious about that!!

Give us all an easy to understand sort of chart:

You give it to A; A gives it to B; B gives it to C ... and so on until it hits its final receiver.

If you cannot do that, then . . . well, I ain't handing out no cash. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm just a simple-minded old man that calculates some things in simple-minded ways and that goes for my cash. Show me that chart and maybe I'll give consideration to handing over some bucks to somebody, no matter for whom it might be.

Now this website as a starting point isn't so bad, because I think there really are some folks around here that can be trusted. But the next step is that Facebook location - - - that is a bit of a stretch for my trust factor index. That sort of reminds me of a situation where the neighbor sounds all polite and stuff, but that shrubbery that is so high and dense and doesn't allow me to see anything makes me nervous. Facebook seems shrouded in such shrubbery.

Still, Airstud, you show me that nice and easy to understand chart and maybe you'll have a donor. And sorry I'm so blunt. Comes with age, maybe. Or maybe I'm just too stupid for complicated stuff. Or both.