Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fr8mech
Topic Author

The Body, The Mind & Exercise

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:51 am

After 4'ish years of illness, injury, apathy, imagined time-constraints, etc. I've decided to run & workout again. My weight has slowly crept up, though nowhere near the all-time high, it is higher than I'd like. But, it's more than the weight, I just feel better when I'm active.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I started some light running along with light weight training. My body is actively rebelling.

Over the last 2 weeks:

I get up to go for a run, my left ankle, which has never caused me a moment of trouble suddenly hurts. I run anyway, and the pain goes away.
I start running, and half mile in, I have to pee...even though I used the restroom mere moments before my run.
While running, my neck/shoulder cramps. Not an uncommon occurrence since the surgery 4.5 years ago, though it never cramps when I'm active, just when I've been sitting for a while.
Stitch in my side...never had those, even when I was pushing to complete a half-marathon after working all night, in the heat.
Pain in my left knee. Disappears after a couple of hundred yards. Pain in my right knee...surgery 2/2020...goes away as suddenly as it appears.

All this brings to mind a quotation from George S. Patton Jr.

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

I've always known willpower was the key to my losing weight many years ago, but I never had to deal with these roadblocks my body keeps tossing up at me. I went from zero to running about 30 miles a week without so much as a whimper from the machine. I know I'm older...but not that much older.

So, why is this? Why does the body rebel? Can we ever really trust what our bodies are telling us?

extender

Re: The Body, The Mind & Exercise

Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:04 pm

A-G-E, you're getting old.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:43 pm

Run, lift weights. Start off easy, work your way back up slowly. Enjoy the journey. Maybe leave at least one day between workouts. A hard charging friend had to quit running, checked with all sorts of experts and no help until a trainer figured out toes had quit a lot of their functioning from rock climbing abuse. With that fixed knees and hips fell in line. Pain, particularly sharp pain usually means some sort of damage is going on. Figuring out what is the basic problem is hard, but worth doing.

Patton was a great battle line general, but also somewhat of a nut case.

casinterest

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:40 pm

You are old :)

Start Slowly, and warm up more. Stretch a bit. The body needs that first and foremost. Don't try to reclaim all that youthful endurance and power at once. You still need time to work up to it all.

Make sure your shoes are new, and fit right. I had years of trouble by wearing the wrong size shoe.

On weight lifting. Definately stretch, and make sure you go for 50-70% endurance with light weights for a few weeks/months prior to trying to work towards power.

StarAC17

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Running while it has a lot of benefits is an incredibly stressful activity on the knees. Look at athletes they face knee pain an injurers and have the best training and conditioning available.

One thing I would complement these activities with is yoga (especially hot yoga). A yoga practice will workout the associated muscles in a non-stressful way. I have knee issues that completely went away when I added in yoga.

One of the things the practice does is helps you assess your limits through gentle to fairly active movement and breath. Almost every runner I know has a yoga practice to complement it.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Four years ago I decided no more gym or running injuries. When I got back to running after a knee injury I did have trouble with my feet and ankles. I had to walk/lope for about a mile before they started working right. Now I just run easy for the first half mile, then continue my longer run/walk. Any sharp pain (rare), walk home. It is fun to stay in shape, and should not be a pain.

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:18 pm

I prefer swimming and cycling, although the latter can also be a strain on the knees.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:20 pm

Oh, I’m sure age has something to do with it, but I find it strange that these issues disappear as I continue my exercise and don’t come back again until I’m set to workout again. Plus, some of these things, the ankle and left knee, I’ve never experienced before.

I understand my endurance and strength will be different, and my progress won’t be the same as it was in the past. But, I can’t help think that there’s something more psychological than physiological going on here. Maybe something psycho-somatic?

As I sit here, finishing my cup of coffee, dressed and ready to head to the Y, I can feel that ankle telling me to skip it and have some breakfast.

Now, I’ve entertained the notion that there is an actual injury, but why does it only hurt before a run?

I don’t know. I guess I’ll just keep on trucking.

casinterest

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:23 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Oh, I’m sure age has something to do with it, but I find it strange that these issues disappear as I continue my exercise and don’t come back again until I’m set to workout again. Plus, some of these things, the ankle and left knee, I’ve never experienced before.

I understand my endurance and strength will be different, and my progress won’t be the same as it was in the past. But, I can’t help think that there’s something more psychological than physiological going on here. Maybe something psycho-somatic?

As I sit here, finishing my cup of coffee, dressed and ready to head to the Y, I can feel that ankle telling me to skip it and have some breakfast.

Now, I’ve entertained the notion that there is an actual injury, but why does it only hurt before a run?

I don’t know. I guess I’ll just keep on trucking.

Your ligaments or cartilage may have issues. It could also be.........arthritis.... Might be worth having a discussion with a MD.

Revelation

Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:41 pm

One quote that sticks with me is "determination is more reliable than motivation".

I wish I was able to put that into effect, it's advice that's easy to get but hard for me to use.

I get it, there's instant gratification vs delayed gratification, guess it's hard for me to shift over to delayed gratification.

Happy to say I lost a lot of weight over the last few months by improving my diet. I also lost weight in increments after a few hiking trips, and if I could find an activity that keeps me motivated I could lose more, but the hiking season isn't very long around here and the weather highly variable.

fr8mech
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:42 pm

casinterest wrote:

Your ligaments or cartilage may have issues. It could also be.........arthritis.... Might be worth having a discussion with a MD.

Actually, I’ve got something going on with my hand, so we had that x-ray’ed and I was screened for rheumatoid arthritis. All negative, which is good news, but still don’t know why my left hand randomly ‘locks up’. Been doing it for a year, so, whatever.

My ortho did mention that he saw a touch of arthritis in my right knee when he cleaned up some errant cartilage and meniscus last year, but nothing serious. But, that’s my right knee and very rarely bugs me, and when it does, is gone as quickly as it comes and is short-lived.

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:10 pm

Just start easily. If some pain comes and it feels sharp, stop immediately because something is wrong and you are risking injury.

Cycling is generally better/easier, but even that can have problems. Last year I narrowly avoided big knee trouble with a slight tear on the cartilage. It was a sharp pain when I tried to stand and pedal. So I kept riding and just stayed at low power. I was careful to always pedal quickly (higher cadence). Using a knee brace helped and a physio also gave me some advice.

It just took many weeks of being very careful. Even getting up from a swivel chair I had to be cautious of that.

If you look after yourself you can make it happen. It’s slow getting back into fitness but it’s worth it. I’m 40 now but you could put me in a photo with a bunch of professional cyclists and I wouldn’t look out of place. I used to be fat and unfit. I’m never going to be that way again.

casinterest

Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:31 pm

fr8mech wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Actually, I’ve got something going on with my hand, so we had that x-ray’ed and I was screened for rheumatoid arthritis. All negative, which is good news, but still don’t know why my left hand randomly ‘locks up’. Been doing it for a year, so, whatever.

My ortho did mention that he saw a touch of arthritis in my right knee when he cleaned up some errant cartilage and meniscus last year, but nothing serious. But, that’s my right knee and very rarely bugs me, and when it does, is gone as quickly as it comes and is short-lived.

I had a weird issue recently, where my right leg locked up, for a week, swollen. I assumed I bumped something.. Granny stepping the stairs is not fun. Ibuprofen did not help. Then it went away after I did some swimming. Very weird. I assume I untwisted a piece of ligament, or stretched out a damaged piece under the knreecap.

I think it was a tear though, as I did feel it the other day while exercising.

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:22 pm

First off: kudos for taking charge of your health.

If you've been stationary, I would echo what others have said: start slowly and easily. Maybe in your prime you were able to run 4 miles unbroken, but sedentary life does catch up to you. Rather than run those 4 miles, walk about a mile. The body isn't necessarily rebelling against you; it's just like a teenager woken up to go to school: it'll grumble and take time to adjust because it became used to little to no physical activity. Listen to your body and if the pain is sharp, then I would urge you to stop it and have it looked at (sports medicine will be your best bet unless there's already history of arthritis or other).

Slowly ramp up the effort. In the end, some form of physical activity is better than none.

Revelation

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:21 pm

If nothing else, this thread got me off my bum and did an hour long walk in the neighborhood yesterday, and would do the same today if it wasn't pissing down rain. Met a new neighbor so it was good for my social side as well.

Am more motivated to find some indoor fitness center to work with, since it's mid August and winter comes pretty quick around here.

Agamadi

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:31 am

fr8mech wrote:
After 4'ish years of illness, injury, apathy, imagined time-constraints, etc. I've decided to run & workout again. My weight has slowly crept up, though nowhere near the all-time high, it is higher than I'd like. But, it's more than the weight, I just feel better when I'm active.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I started some light running along with light weight training. My body is actively rebelling.

Over the last 2 weeks:

I get up to go for a run, my left ankle, which has never caused me a moment of trouble suddenly hurts. I run anyway, and the pain goes away.
I start running, and half mile in, I have to pee...even though I used the restroom mere moments before my run.
While running, my neck/shoulder cramps. Not an uncommon occurrence since the surgery 4.5 years ago, though it never cramps when I'm active, just when I've been sitting for a while.
Stitch in my side...never had those, even when I was pushing to complete a half-marathon after working all night, in the heat.
Pain in my left knee. Disappears after a couple of hundred yards. Pain in my right knee...surgery 2/2020...goes away as suddenly as it appears.

All this brings to mind a quotation from George S. Patton Jr.

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

I've always known willpower was the key to my losing weight many years ago, but I never had to deal with these roadblocks my body keeps tossing up at me. I went from zero to running about 30 miles a week without so much as a whimper from the machine. I know I'm older...but not that much older.

So, why is this? Why does the body rebel? Can we ever really trust what our bodies are telling us?

I spend a lot of time at the computer at work as well as during my studies at the university, so lately I have been very closely monitoring my eye health. On the site https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/illness/ I read several essays about various diseases, including viral ones, that can affect the condition of my eyes. You need to be very careful not to damage the retina while working, and you should remind yourself of this more often.

A good and long warm-up before workouts can have a very positive effect on your body.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
Start Slowly, and warm up more. Stretch a bit.

Agamadi wrote:
A good and long warm-up before workouts can have a very positive effect on your body.

I agree wholeheartedly with these comments.

Whenever I work out (whether it's exercise bike, treadmill, swimming, or jogging around the neighborhood), I always do a 5-10 minute warmup, where I slowly build up, then 5-10 minutes of stretching.

I also do a cool-down (or warm-down for us swimmers) at the end of the workout, where I slowly ramp down. Then I'll stretch a bit at the end too.

I'm only 39 now, but I'm significantly heavier than I was 15 years ago (the last time I was in decent shape), and I've found that if I don't do the warm-up/warm-down/stretching, I pay for it the next day.

lightsaber

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:53 pm

What is your warm-up? Stretching before a workout is to prevent injury. Stretching after is free speed or strength (it is like a multiplier on the benefits of the workout from a conditioning perspective). Never workout cold; as you get into better shape, you will find you will be able to do as a warmup what was a workout.

Dieuwer wrote:
I prefer swimming and cycling, although the latter can also be a strain on the knees.

Swimming is an excellent start, easy on the joints.

Lightsaber

LCDFlight

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:10 pm

I’m not really sure but I think exercise is a skill. One trainer I had talked about the “mind body connection.” He was in great shape. I think once you get really good at exercise, knowing exactly what your body can (or should) do, it is no longer a difficulty. Even people 70 years old can be quite athletic. But I think people do under-estimate the mental skills involved.

I know people who started too fast and got injured, sabotaging their effort to get fit. This is a tragedy because any able bodied person, especially a person of strong will, has the ability to be as fit as they want to be over a period of say 18 to 24 months.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:26 pm

Swimming can and has resulted in shoulder injuries. Friends who do not experience this have an experienced coach who corrects strokes from time to time.

keesje

Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:18 am

I know many runners who wasted their knees. Apparently they are not made for running a few decades.. Swimming seems better

bpatus297

Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Any physical exercise can result in injury. Swimming is definitely easier on the body than running. My joints and I like the elliptical, or even a bike.