Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LittleFokker
Topic Author

New Jeopardy host in Jeopardy

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:21 am

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-r ... 235045394/

After a half season of guest hosts, charity donations each episode, and lots of speculation about who would take over as new host, Mike Richards, the executive producer in charge of the search...chose himself. Well, to be fair, he also chose Mayim Bialik to host special tournament editions. He was probably the least popular choice by the fans of all the guest hosts (Levar Burton likely holds the top popular spot), and him being the arbitrator of the selection while also being a candidate had a really foul smell.

Well, huge shout out to Claire McNear of The Ringer media company who has been on the Jeopardy beat well before Alex Trebek passed away. As soon as the selection of Richards was leaked, she dug into his past, including sexual misconduct allegations during his time at The Price Is Right, and a previous podcast he cohosted where he made disparaging remarks towards women. You can find her work here:

https://www.theringer.com/authors/claire-mcnear

Thanks to her reporting, Mike Richards was forced to resign as host (still keeping the EP role for now), leaving the show in the same spot as it was the day after Mr. Trebek passed away.

Should Mayim Bialik get the full time host gig? What about Levar Burton? Someone else who did a guest hosting stint? Or someone who hasn't been considered at all yet?

NIKV69

Re: New Jeopardy host in Jeopardy

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:24 am

Not a jeopardy fan by any means but the few shows I watch what I noticed is how Alex never let himself become part of the show and did a great job keeping an even keel and the game moving. Not sure big name celebs are the way to go but who knows.

northstardc4m

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:34 am

Mayim Bialik I think is the right choice.

Much as I like Levar Burton watching him host I had the feeling he was trying to fit Alex Trebeks mold a little too much. Mayim came off as herself much better.

None of the others came off as full time hosts... A couple were almost there but not for a show that's so well established with a specific fanbase.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Aaron747

Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:10 am

Grew up on Jeopardy - has always been a family affair and great fun. Richards is obviously a fake and should have at least given Alex's personal choice for replacement an audition.

https://news.yahoo.com/video-resurfaces ... 12453.html

Bialik has too many commitments to host full-time. and while she has the right personality, she injected too much commentary during the game and full rounds were rarely completed.

My favorites among the guest hosts were Robin Roberts and David Faber, but both have jobs too good to leave.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:28 am

Why is it that so many employers fail to do proper background checks, including a good Google check ? In my work for a government agency, I have seen a senior administrative police official hired for our police for a similar police administrative position fail a DHS check as had phony 'diploma mill' college degrees, and another, an ex-cop, fired almost a year later when it was found out they had been arrested just before their employment for stalking women and when he got arrested again. Come on, require a review of social media history, look for any videos or comments postings, figure out they were sexist, racist, anti-semitic, supported the terror attack on the US Capitol, had been disciplined for sexual harassment or other dumb stuff. I know everyone isn't perfect, but some stuff, especially in recent times means you shouldn't be hired. Guess a lot of it is fear of discrimination lawsuits, invasion of privacy, just too cheap to do an decent investigation. Now with this debacle, it means a lot of money, a delay in selecting a new host and hurting a profit making machine for Sony.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:33 am

ltbewr wrote:
Why is it that so many employers fail to do proper background checks, including a good Google check ? In my work for a government agency, I have seen a senior administrative police official hired for our police for a similar police administrative position fail a DHS check as had phony 'diploma mill' college degrees, and another, an ex-cop, fired almost a year later when it was found out they had been arrested just before their employment for stalking women and when he got arrested again. Come on, require a review of social media history, look for any videos or comments postings, figure out they were sexist, racist, anti-semitic, supported the terror attack on the US Capitol, had been disciplined for sexual harassment or other dumb stuff. I know everyone isn't perfect, but some stuff, especially in recent times means you shouldn't be hired. Guess a lot of it is fear of discrimination lawsuits, invasion of privacy, just too cheap to do an decent investigation. Now with this debacle, it means a lot of money, a delay in selecting a new host and hurting a profit making machine for Sony.

There's also the problem that the guy with the checkered past *is* one of the EPs.

Francoflier

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:48 am

So you mean to say that the unpopular guy who gave himself the job anyway because he wanted to and is the boss turned out to be a bit of a d#ckhead?

Now, that's a shocker...
:innocent:

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:57 am

Side note, this season ended with 18 day champ Matt Amodio who will carry over to the next season with $571,801 in earnings, 3rd on the all time winner's list.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/streaker ... -18th-game

Seems to be using James Holzhauer's playbook of being super fast on the buzzer, going for high dollar clues first, betting large on the Daily Doubles, and switching categories frequently to ward off challengers. Only once in this run has someone else entered Final Jeopardy with a mathematical chance to take him down, but failed to do so.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:05 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Side note, this season ended with 18 day champ Matt Amodio who will carry over to the next season with $571,801 in earnings, 3rd on the all time winner's list.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/streaker ... -18th-game

Seems to be using James Holzhauer's playbook of being super fast on the buzzer, going for high dollar clues first, betting large on the Daily Doubles, and switching categories frequently to ward off challengers. Only once in this run has someone else entered Final Jeopardy with a mathematical chance to take him down, but failed to do so.

He is also one of the best I have seen at hunting Daily Doubles. His range of knowledge is super-impressively wide.

seb146

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:08 pm

One problem is that this is a niche job. When hosts like Art Linkletter and Art Fleming and Gene Rayburn passed the torch, there were people there to fill their shoes. Like Wink Martendale and Alex. But, now, there is no one, so we have celebrities and sports stars hosting. I am not saying it is bad. I actually enjoy some of the new hosts.

And no one but no one will ever be able to live up to Alex.

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:48 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

There's also the problem that the guy with the checkered past *is* one of the EPs.

Yeah, I will be curious to see how long he hangs onto the Executive Producer role. Gotta be super awkward to watch someone else do the job you thought you once had.

Francoflier wrote:
So you mean to say that the unpopular guy who gave himself the job anyway because he wanted to and is the boss turned out to be a bit of a d#ckhead?

Now, that's a shocker...
:innocent:

Your first time in America, huh?

seb146 wrote:
One problem is that this is a niche job. When hosts like Art Linkletter and Art Fleming and Gene Rayburn passed the torch, there were people there to fill their shoes. Like Wink Martendale and Alex. But, now, there is no one, so we have celebrities and sports stars hosting. I am not saying it is bad. I actually enjoy some of the new hosts.

And no one but no one will ever be able to live up to Alex.

I disagree. Alex was very good at being the host, but being the host of Jeopardy doesn't require a very special skill set relative to other game shows. There's little interpersonal dialog with the contestants, the game moves so swiftly, there's not much time for joking or riff raff. I could see a variety of people doing the job well.

einsteinboricua

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Mayim Bialik gets my vote (though as always, we now gotta look back at everything she ever said and did and now she's also getting a ticket on the Canceled Train).

LeVar Burton was OK, but in all honesty he didn't seem genuine.

dfwjim1

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:54 pm

Not sure if anyone would know this but did Alex Traveck have a list of people who he felt would be a good candidate to replace him?

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:19 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Mayim Bialik gets my vote (though as always, we now gotta look back at everything she ever said and did and now she's also getting a ticket on the Canceled Train).

Almost everyone gets cancelled at some point, it’s like a badge of honour isn’t it. Bless him even Arnold was cancelled this week.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:30 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Not sure if anyone would know this but did Alex Traveck have a list of people who he felt would be a good candidate to replace him?

The two he mentioned in public were Laura Coates and Alex Faust.

https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna228786

seb146

Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:19 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Almost everyone gets cancelled at some point, it’s like a badge of honour isn’t it. Bless him even Arnold was cancelled this week.

Arnold who?

Being called out for racism and sexism is not "cancelled" but, rather, pointing out who someone is. Mike Richards still has his job as producer. Mayim Bialik has said some things about parenting and I think vaccines that people didn't like. We went though that and she is still here.

Kiwirob

Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:20 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Arnold who?

Being called out for racism and sexism is not "cancelled" but, rather, pointing out who someone is. Mike Richards still has his job as producer. Mayim Bialik has said some things about parenting and I think vaccines that people didn't like. We went though that and she is still here.

You’re shitting me? There is only one Arnold, google Arnold only one man come up.

NIKV69

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Arnold who?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/a ... an-comment

seb146

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:12 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Arnold who?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/a ... an-comment

So siding with scientists gets him "cancelled" by.... the right? The ones who whine and complain about "cancel culture"? Okay....

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:21 am

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

So siding with scientists gets him "cancelled" by.... the right? The ones who whine and complain about "cancel culture"? Okay....

I know it's crazy, he's even GOP.

seb146

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:47 am

An old (two years) article about possible replacements

https://www.tvovermind.com/five-picks-f ... ment-host/

Jennifer Hudson? How? She is a great singer and a great actress but game show host?

So many people are wanting Brendan Frasier to make a comeback, how about now as host of Jeopardy?

Airstud

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am

seb146 wrote:
no one but no one will ever be able to live up to Alex.

If anyone was ever going to it would've been Kelsey Grammer, not fully removed from his Frasier persona.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:05 pm

Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:

If anyone was ever going to it would've been Kelsey Grammer, not fully removed from his Frasier persona.

That would be absolutely incredible. :lol: But the pretentiousness would probably halve their viewership...maybe he could switch to Sideshow Bob for tournament weeks.

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:20 pm

Oddly enough, I though Aaron Rodgers was great. More understated but kept the game moving.

Mike Richards was fine as a host, but obviously problematic for other reasons.

LeVar Burton was, unfortunately, not good as guest host.

Mayim Bialik was good, as was David Faber and a few others. I'm still getting through the Joe Buck episodes; I hate him as a sports commentator, so was not expecting much, but he's not bad.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:24 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
Oddly enough, I though Aaron Rodgers was great. More understated but kept the game moving.

Mayim Bialik was good, as was David Faber and a few others. I'm still getting through the Joe Buck episodes; I hate him as a sports commentator, so was not expecting much, but he's not bad.

Rodgers was a real breath of fresh air, but I can understand why older audiences didn't take to him.

Could not agree more about Joe Buck...I usually can't STAND him, especially on MLB. But by the 2nd show I had to admit...he had some real charm and presence as a host. He even tried to pronounce foreign words correctly. And I found it hilarious on his last day (maybe?) when he was visibly annoyed by a bubbly contestant I also found annoying.

seb146

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:51 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

I can not stand Joe Buck as host. He is a sports commentator and it shows. He is too aggressive for my liking. Aaron Rogers was good. A woman I work with has such a crush on him she was glued to her TV when he was on.

skyservice_330

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:

That would be absolutely incredible. :lol: But the pretentiousness would probably halve their viewership...maybe he could switch to Sideshow Bob for tournament weeks.

LOL my thought exactly. Every time someone gets a wrong answer he has to make that oh so recognizable sound from when he keeps walking on rakes.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ltbewr

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:54 pm

Mike Richards is out as producer now. An interim person will take over. What a stupid mess. All Sony had to do was have someone in HR do a through Google check on the guy. https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/media/mi ... index.html

Aaron747

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:08 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Mike Richards is out as producer now. An interim person will take over. What a stupid mess. All Sony had to do was have someone in HR do a through Google check on the guy. https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/media/mi ... index.html

Agreed - it’s incredible how incompetent they have been. Now he probably won’t work in Hollywood again, oh well.

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:42 pm

ltbewr wrote:

I will never go broke betting on rich old people not knowing how to internet.

I knew he wouldn't last long as EP once all this stuff broke, but I guess props to Sony for not letting him linger too long in the gray area before proclaiming the inevitable.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:45 pm

Mike Richards Fired as Executive Producer of ‘Jeopardy!’ and ‘Wheel of Fortune’

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-r ... 235052887/

Fired... from 2 shows

I don't think he deserved to be fired. But, I don't think he was the best choice to host Jeopardy.

Aaron747

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:48 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Mike Richards Fired as Executive Producer of ‘Jeopardy!’ and ‘Wheel of Fortune’

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-r ... 235052887/

Fired... from 2 shows

I don't think he deserved to be fired. But, I don't think he was the best choice to host Jeopardy.

To quote William Munny in ‘Unforgiven’: deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it. Richards made a public mess and that made him a reputational risk.

ltbewr

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:50 pm

I have seen situations where people were hired who turned out have lied about being arrested for harassing women chasing them into retirement from being a police officer anymore to where someone becoming a senior Police Dept. official from being one in another agency get caught in a Homeland Security security check having phony college degrees from a 'diploma mill' the Federal government put out of business years before. Social media is also making it easier to see if someone has issues that would be in conflict with their job. That is what gets to me with the situation with Mike Richards, as I stated above do a real background check when hiring or promoting, do it quietly so if the person gets caught it doesn't become public.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:02 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I have seen situations where people were hired who turned out have lied about being arrested for harassing women chasing them into retirement from being a police officer anymore to where someone becoming a senior Police Dept. official from being one in another agency get caught in a Homeland Security security check having phony college degrees from a 'diploma mill' the Federal government put out of business years before. Social media is also making it easier to see if someone has issues that would be in conflict with their job. That is what gets to me with the situation with Mike Richards, as I stated above do a real background check when hiring or promoting, do it quietly so if the person gets caught it doesn't become public.

I guess since Richards was the Exec. Producer of the show, he did his own background check, on himself. :P

bennett123

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:54 pm

Suppose the problem comes when everyone has made some dumb comment twenty years ago.

skyservice_330

Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:00 pm

This will need to go down as a case study in a textbook in the future.

They had one job.. one job. Find a defensible, respectable, inoffensive replacement for AT...and it seems they have done everything in their power to totally f*ck it up.