Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

I just gave blood (again) and it was (still) painless.

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:31 pm

This is your periodic reminder to give blood if you do not already habitually do so.

You get free cookies.

(Oh also I think you like, save lives or something. However, cookies.)

einsteinboricua

Re: I just gave blood (again) and it was (still) painless.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:07 am

The FDA believes my blood is not worthy, though I am technically eligible to donate given that Covid has made be abstain from sexual activities.

You'd think they'd pressure Congress to do away with the ban on MSM, but it's their loss. I'm O+ so my blood is definitely in demand.

I've done plasma donation (would NOT recommend...ugh), double red, and regular donation. I usually try to donate double red since usually the demand is for red blood cells. A couple more minutes attached to the machine means I'm not eligible to return for twice as long.

Kent350787

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:13 am

I have so many friends and colleagues who are either excluded having lived in the UK during mad-cow times or because of their sexuality (even in long-term relationships).

I donate plasma every three weeks, and am a donor for our national Anti-D program. I'm due a boost of the "wrong" blood type in a couple of weeks. Jame's Harrison was part of the program and Australia's best-known donor https://www.donateblood.com.au/learn/an ... s-harrison

frmrCapCadet

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:08 am

I have different serum blood type than my genetic one, so got kicked out of the program.

fr8mech

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:54 am

Got my appointment for double-reds next Monday. It’s right before lunch, after which I will stumble…kidding…next door and have some Shrimp Pho…extra spicy.

Kent350787

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:32 am

Missed the point about plasma - it does take longer (I'm usually at the donor centre for around 90 mins), but also allows a range of products if you're a regular. It can be a little weird at first, with the draw of the whole blood and then the platelet/saline returns.

Technically I could donate each fortnight, but I space it slightly longer so I don't eat too much into work. But this bumps up the number of donations - next time will be my 152nd.

Virtual737

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:38 am

As a recipient of a blood transfusion at least once in my life, I thank you all for giving.

Apparently I was made ineligible to return the favour as soon as I was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma almost 20 years ago.

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:20 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
The FDA believes my blood is not worthy, though I am technically eligible to donate given that Covid has made be abstain from sexual activities.

You'd think they'd pressure Congress to do away with the ban on MSM, but it's their loss. I'm O+ so my blood is definitely in demand.

I've done plasma donation (would NOT recommend...ugh), double red, and regular donation. I usually try to donate double red since usually the demand is for red blood cells. A couple more minutes attached to the machine means I'm not eligible to return for twice as long.

So how can you give blood if your blood is not worthy?

I'm not allowed to give blood, I lived in the UK in 96 which makes me ineligible to give blood in NZ.

tommy1808

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:39 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I'm O+ so my blood is definitely in demand.

wouldn´t 0 negative be much more in demand :)

I've done plasma donation (would NOT recommend...ugh).

why not? Aside of taking a wee bit more time ...

best regards
Thomas

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:11 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
So how can you give blood if your blood is not worthy?

The ban has been modified, but it still carries the negative stigma of "eww, gay blood". I've abstained long enough that I'm eligible to donate again.

tommy1808 wrote:
wouldn´t 0 negative be much more in demand

Yeah. Though O- is reserved for special cases. Given the demographics of the US where people with the Rh+ factor are more prevalent than those with Rh-, O+ therefore is the next best thing.

tommy1808 wrote:

The anticoagulant solution added to the red blood cells returned to you makes calcium levels drop, for which you have to take a good load of calcium tablets before it starts. Then, you may start feeling queasy and your jaw feels as if your teeth were gritting, so you have to take more calcium. You're wrapped up in a blanket because your temperature may also drop.

The intake of TUMS tablets just left me with such a bad taste in my mouth, I don't think I've had TUMS tablets again since. It was a bit uncomfortable and not something I'd want to do again.

JJJ

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:27 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
. I'm O+ so my blood is definitely in demand.

Same here, I try to donate every time I make a hospital visit for whatever reason.

Works out to maybe once a year, but it's still something.

tommy1808

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:33 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

The anticoagulant solution added to the red blood cells returned to you makes calcium levels drop, for which you have to take a good load of calcium tablets before it starts. Then, you may start feeling queasy and your jaw feels as if your teeth were gritting, so you have to take more calcium. You're wrapped up in a blanket because your temperature may also drop..

weird.. never noticed any of that but the getting chilly part... the German Red Cross donation website doesn´t even mention Calcium, and that is where i always donate, although i found a reference at another provider, but only to be provided when a tingling sensation is noted.

best regards
Thomas

SQ22

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Airstud wrote:
This is your periodic reminder to give blood if you do not already habitually do so.

You get free cookies.

(Oh also I think you like, save lives or something. However, cookies.)

You get my full support.

Where I am currently living I can donate Blood Plasma only, but I am doing it frquently as well.

OA412

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

I'm in the same boat and donated a few months ago for the first time in my life. I need to set up another appointment since I'm still abstaining. Up until a few years ago, I was banned for life from donating blood. They think they did us a "favor" by decreasing the ban from lifelong, to one year, to 3 months. I'd donate regularly if not for the ban and so would a lot of MSM. The wait period is ridiculous and harkens back to a time 3 and 4 decades ago when testing ability was non-existent and later effective but less sensitive than it is today.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:02 pm

OA412 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I'm in the same boat and donated a few months ago for the first time in my life. I need to set up another appointment since I'm still abstaining. Up until a few years ago, I was banned for life from donating blood. They think they did us a "favor" by decreasing the ban from lifelong, to one year, to 3 months. I'd donate regularly if not for the ban and so would a lot of MSM. The wait period is ridiculous and harkens back to a time 3 and 4 decades ago when testing ability was non-existent and later effective but less sensitive than it is today.

I mean, I'm of the opinion that even this should be taken as a (small) victory, though the eventual goal is complete reversal of the ban. I remember when the FDA lowered the ban from life to 12 months, and then to 3 months due to Covid. Hopefully, they'll reconsider their stance and just do away with it altogether. If the main issue is HIV, that's already screened for any time anyone donates (and I'd be willing to take a rapid test right then and there as part of the screening process too).

L410Turbolet

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:02 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I mean, I'm of the opinion that even this should be taken as a (small) victory, though the eventual goal is complete reversal of the ban.

The main and only objective of donating blood should be helping others. Let's not forget that.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:55 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
I mean, I'm of the opinion that even this should be taken as a (small) victory, though the eventual goal is complete reversal of the ban.

The main and only objective of donating blood should be helping others. Let's not forget that.

No disagreement there, which is why I donate whenever I can.

OA412

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:22 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Hopefully, they'll reconsider their stance and just do away with it altogether. If the main issue is HIV, that's already screened for any time anyone donates (and I'd be willing to take a rapid test right then and there as part of the screening process too).

I hope so too. As you mentioned, HIV is already screened for and has been since HIV testing became available in the 80s. Could there be a false negative? Sure, but that's true of any blood-borne illness for which the donation would be tested. There's no reason, in 2021, for the FDA to consider our blood as less worthy because of who we have sex with.

Kent350787

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 pm

OA412 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Hopefully, they'll reconsider their stance and just do away with it altogether. If the main issue is HIV, that's already screened for any time anyone donates (and I'd be willing to take a rapid test right then and there as part of the screening process too).

I hope so too. As you mentioned, HIV is already screened for and has been since HIV testing became available in the 80s. Could there be a false negative? Sure, but that's true of any blood-borne illness for which the donation would be tested. There's no reason, in 2021, for the FDA to consider our blood as less worthy because of who we have sex with.

It really does appear to be a very odd holdout, given the range of screening available and undertaken. It's still a firm no in Australia.

On the plasma donation/calcium thing, I have three tablets before I start donating, and occasionally one more during. I get that some people might find it a little unpleasant, but it seems a very minor issue.

My donor centre has reintroduced milkshakes, having moved to packaged drinks last year. If they bring back fresh raisin toast my donating needs will be fully met :)

B777LRF

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:56 am

Been donating blood for almost 30 years, and got my porcelain crane figurine* a few years ago when I passed 100 donations. I'm O- and am an emergency donor, meaning they'll call me the day before at the earliest, but usually only a few hours, and they'll send a taxi to pick me up and deliver me back.

Am also registered as an organ donor.

*The crane will, in times of draught, pick a hole in its own blood veins to allow it's chicks to drink. That's why the crane is used as a figurine.

Ken777

Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:56 am

I'm on Chemo for my 5th cancer and, fortunately, will not need blood for the chemo or the immunotherapy. My wife had a different issue when she was being treated for leukemia (ALL) and ended up being transfused 10 times. That blood she received is the key reason why she is alive today and so I'm very appreciative of all your donations.

dc10bhx

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Just re-started donating platelets after a 17 month gap (self suspended due to an issue with my arm used for donating). Back in tomorrow for units 493 & 494!

I normally donate a triple (but only credited for a double which is fine by me) and have to be on the machine for about 60 minutes, but this gives me time to get into my book and listen to music (if the normal crowd of acquaintances is not there). Appointments for every fortnight booked up until Christmas are in place so should top over 500 in early October!

I always say that by us giving up some time we can give someone else MORE time. If you can donate please do so because no one knows what could be around the corner in life for either yourself or your Family / Friends.

chimborazo

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:51 pm

dc10bhx wrote:
Just re-started donating platelets after a 17 month gap (self suspended due to an issue with my arm used for donating). Back in tomorrow for units 493 & 494!

I normally donate a triple (but only credited for a double which is fine by me) and have to be on the machine for about 60 minutes, but this gives me time to get into my book and listen to music (if the normal crowd of acquaintances is not there). Appointments for every fortnight booked up until Christmas are in place so should top over 500 in early October!

I always say that by us giving up some time we can give someone else MORE time. If you can donate please do so because no one knows what could be around the corner in life for either yourself or your Family / Friends.

Congrats to you and the others.

Good thread. I’ve never given blood, even though I “should”. Because by “should” I mean that, although no one should have to give blood… there are no reasons I can think of that I “shouldn’t” other than I’ve never got round to doing it. It’s just never been on my radar.

I’m on the organ donor register… they can do whatever they want with my body when I’m done using it for one reason or another.

Will look into giving blood.

chimborazo

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:09 pm

OA412 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

That’s interesting.

Researching donating blood now, UK has updated to an individualised system rather than blanket rules for “particular groups”. ie it’s based on your sexual history in last 3 months, rather than whatever gender you have as a sexual partner.

It’s a risk assessment to determine if there is a high potential risk and ask those people to wait until their situation changes, rather than blanket: No!

http://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaig ... ing-group/

Kiwiandrew

Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:29 pm

I wish I could still give blood.

Sadly here in Aotearoa/New Zealand I am doubly disqualified : I'm a gay man ( although it's so long since I had sex I think I'd just about qualify to donate!) but a more insurmountable problem is that I lived in Scotland in 1991-1992.

Anyone who spent more than six months in The Republic of Ireland, France, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, or England between 1980 and 1996 is permanently ineligible to donate blood or blood products here ( or in Australia ) because of vCJD , otherwise referred to as "mad cow disease". Apparently, even after 30 years, there is no reliable screening test. What a waste, it must render ineligible a substantial portion of otherwise willing potential donors from the pool

einsteinboricua

Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 pm

chimborazo wrote:
Good thread. I’ve never given blood, even though I “should”. Because by “should” I mean that, although no one should have to give blood… there are no reasons I can think of that I “shouldn’t” other than I’ve never got round to doing it. It’s just never been on my radar.

At the end of the day, giving blood is one of the few selfless acts a person can do. The blood goes to someone anonymously. The Red Cross (or other blood bank) won't recognize you for your efforts unless you've reached a milestone. You give blood because you want to play a role in saving someone's life, not because you're looking for credit or recognition.

Quite different from bone marrow though; because you have to be matched to a recipient, it's possible you can get to meet them before or after the extraction, and that would make the procedure all worth it.

Aesma

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Here in France they send red cross trucks to universities so you can give blood, there is an emulation between students etc. I work in a complex with 3000 employees so they also come about every three months (I think you need 2 months between donations).

Unfortunately I take meds so I can't donate anymore.

About the mad cow thing, I wonder if it will be removed one day, even without a test. After all if the risk was that big, there would be thousands of cases in the aforementioned countries.

Kent350787

Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:45 pm

Kiwiandrew wrote:
I wish I could still give blood.

Sadly here in Aotearoa/New Zealand I am doubly disqualified : I'm a gay man ( although it's so long since I had sex I think I'd just about qualify to donate!) but a more insurmountable problem is that I lived in Scotland in 1991-1992.

Anyone who spent more than six months in The Republic of Ireland, France, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, or England between 1980 and 1996 is permanently ineligible to donate blood or blood products here ( or in Australia ) because of vCJD , otherwise referred to as "mad cow disease". Apparently, even after 30 years, there is no reliable screening test. What a waste, it must render ineligible a substantial portion of otherwise willing potential donors from the pool

Yeah, I know many doubly disqualified here in Australia. With the change in the UK regarding gay men, it will be interesting to see whether other nations follow suit. As well as the doubly disqualified, I increasingly have friends and colleagues too young for mad cow who are only singly disqualified.

My next appointment is for this coming Thursday.

Aesma

Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:11 pm

If there was real concern would they just rely on you telling the truth ?