Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfklganyc
Topic Author

When did Jackson WY get so big?

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Just arrived in town. The last time I was here was 30 years ago. It was a small town clinging to its cowboy roots for the tourists.

What is here now is unrecognizable.

When did the population boom and condo craze occur?

Aaron747

Re: When did Jackson WY get so big?

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:21 pm

In the last 20 years the area really boomed - lots of entertainment folks and tech executives have summer homes there. It also became a destination for upper middle class families wanting a pampered ‘natural’ vacation. Good arts and festival scene so seasonal jobs followed I’d guess.

WesternDC6B

Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:26 pm

Yuppies took it over. Where there used to be tack shops and feed stores, it's Rolex and designer label clothing stores.

A side note: When I was 6, my family vacationed in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. Western Air Lines flew DC3s into Jackson. The "terminal" was a log building with a counter, wood stove, some chairs, and a unicom radio. The lady behind the counter also handled rental cars. We landed, got our bags, and got into the brand new 1955 Plymouth Savoy sedan they had waiting for us.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:57 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
Yuppies took it over. Where there used to be tack shops and feed stores, it's Rolex and designer label clothing stores.

A side note: When I was 6, my family vacationed in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. Western Air Lines flew DC3s into Jackson. The "terminal" was a log building with a counter, wood stove, some chairs, and a unicom radio. The lady behind the counter also handled rental cars. We landed, got our bags, and got into the brand new 1955 Plymouth Savoy sedan they had waiting for us.

its not much more than that now! haha

seb146

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:06 am

WesternDC6B wrote:

Sounds like what West Yellowstone terminal was like 10 years ago.

Times change. There is this fantasy of the "old west" people want but don't really want that badly. I think we want to escape for just a moment to see what people like John Muir and Lewis and Clark and Ansel Adams saw but we want to remain in the 21st Century. The brosband and I experienced this a few years ago at Wallowa Lake, Oregon. Go and visit. Beautiful. We spend nights among the trees and wildlife but, at the same time, had a food truck pod and hot tub and wi-fi.

WesternDC6B

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:24 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

I'd not call many gates, a good-size parking lot, baggage carousels, and picture widows "not that much more"...

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:39 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

I'd not call many gates, a good-size parking lot, baggage carousels, and picture widows "not that much more"...

Adjusted for 2021, not much more.

When you look out into an expansive field and see airliners sitting there with stairs, and a control tower the size of a house, you’re in the same ballpark

cledaybuck

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:55 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

When you look out into an expansive field and see airliners sitting there with stairs, and a control tower the size of a house, you’re in the same ballpark

We are talking about an airport that is going to close next spring because they are doing work on their only runway.
http://jhair.staging.wpengine.com/proje ... struction/

seb146

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:03 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

It looks a lot like BZN or RDM with all the wood and metal. It is nice.

ER757

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:00 pm

First time I was there was as a 7 year old kid during our family road trip back in 1962. They had staged "gunfights" down the main street in the evening to entertain the tourists, really hyping the wild west feeling of the town. Haven't been there in about 20 years or so, and it wasn't all that "yuppified" yet at that time.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:12 pm

[quote="ER757"]First time I was there was as a 7 year old kid during our family road trip back in 1962. They had staged "gunfights" down the main street in the evening to entertain the tourists, really hyping the wild west feeling of the town. Haven't been there in about 20 years or so, and it wasn't all that "yuppified" yet at that time.[/quote

Still doing the gun fights. Just next to a starbucks :)

Newark727

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Still doing the gun fights. Just next to a starbucks :)

This Starbucks ain't big enough for the both of us!