Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Topic Author
Posts: 13684
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:36 pm

They had to start dying at some time, I guess this is th end of the road for the Stones.

The man exuded class, he was the rock that kept the band together.

RIP Charlie

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842
 
User avatar
Thunderboltdrgn
Posts: 2275
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:51 pm

The most surprising is perhaps that he made it to 80.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 4269
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:55 pm

R.I.P. to a legend - he laid down the the beat that kept the Stones grounded - he was the "rock" in rock and roll
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Today all I can hear is that thumping disco beat in ‘Miss You’ and it’s fitting.
 
johns624
Posts: 4241
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 pm

How can Mick and Keith still be alive?
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12679
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Sad day.

Charlie deserves the highest award available to humanity for putting up with Mick and Keith for 60-odd years.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 14144
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:19 pm

johns624 wrote:
How can Mick and Keith still be alive?


They are younger .
http://pontoondock.nfshost.com/combined ... stones.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_6z9oqet8

Charlie really liked Jazz a lot.
 
Kent350787
Posts: 2092
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:53 pm

RIP. The base of a great band, and such a strong supporter of other musicians through his clubs.

It's interesting - not so long ago we would have been saying "80? Sad to see him go but thats a good old age"
 
NIKV69
Posts: 14543
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:39 am

Kiwirob wrote:
They had to start dying at some time, I guess this is th end of the road for the Stones.

The man exuded class, he was the rock that kept the band together.

RIP Charlie

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842


The best band to ever live will not end simply because of their drummer dying. RIP Charlie Watts but the Stones will jam on stage again.
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:21 am

Image

Much Respect

As Keith Richards said in 1979: “Everybody thinks Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. If Charlie wasn’t doing what he’s doing on drums, that wouldn’t be true at all. You’d find out that Charlie Watts is the Stones.”
 
Airstud
Posts: 4964
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:24 am

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
The most surprising is perhaps that he made it to 80.


Far more surprising to me is that Keith Richards has outlived him :boggled:
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24064
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 am

johns624 wrote:
How can Mick and Keith still be alive?


With all the chemicals in their bodies and you ask this?

Charlie Watts had a good run He was 80 and still touring. Some 40 year olds can not even do half of what he did. Yes, it is sad he has passed but he lived a great life. Gave so much joy to so many. Tony Bennett announced he will no longer be doing live shows at 90 years old. These cats still got it. At 80 and 90.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 16450
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:20 am

seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
How can Mick and Keith still be alive?


With all the chemicals in their bodies and you ask this?

Charlie Watts had a good run He was 80 and still touring. Some 40 year olds can not even do half of what he did. Yes, it is sad he has passed but he lived a great life. Gave so much joy to so many. Tony Bennett announced he will no longer be doing live shows at 90 years old. These cats still got it. At 80 and 90.


A very good run indeed. And he survived a 15 year bout with alcoholism and heroin, so he did quite well looking after his health from his 50s on.
 
GDB
Posts: 14408
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:47 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
How can Mick and Keith still be alive?


With all the chemicals in their bodies and you ask this?

Charlie Watts had a good run He was 80 and still touring. Some 40 year olds can not even do half of what he did. Yes, it is sad he has passed but he lived a great life. Gave so much joy to so many. Tony Bennett announced he will no longer be doing live shows at 90 years old. These cats still got it. At 80 and 90.


A very good run indeed. And he survived a 15 year bout with alcoholism and heroin, so he did quite well looking after his health from his 50s on.


First original Stone to die in 52 years, since Brian Jones, not that he was ever long for this world.
Mick? No surprise he's still going strong, Micheal Jagger, student of the London School Of Economics, always with a keen eye on business and also never one to really cane it.
Keith? He's outlived Lemmy, previously the gold standard for unlikely survival. Lucky Genes and wealth I guess?
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:54 am

Stewart Copeland (The Police) - Talks about the Drumming Technique of Charlie Watts
Radio Broadcast 08/25/2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ZH3PEjTLE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: meecrob and 32 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos