Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheFlyingDisk
Topic Author

ABBA Returns After 40 Year Break

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:58 am

And not only for a one off song, they're actually releasing a new album & are going on a virtual concert tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAzEY1MfXrQ

johns624

Re: ABBA Returns After 40 Year Break

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:05 pm

...and the world yawned...

casinterest

Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Will anyone take a chance on them?

M564038

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:03 pm

It’s fantastic. A full bonus album from one of the greatest band ever! Amazing!
They botched the drum sound, but still!

johns624

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:06 pm

M564038 wrote:
one of the greatest band ever!
Just say NO to drugs...

BaconButty

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:10 pm

johns624 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it'll have no effect on my life. Their music wasn't my cup of tea at the time. But the women in my life beg to differ. I've had to sit through those god awful films (Julie Walters, Cher etc) more than once. A part of the world will care very much.

Edit: Mama Mia is the film, on the off chance someone with a fondness for 70's euro-campness and saccharine rom coms has somehow missed it.

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:31 pm

BaconButty wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, it'll have no effect on my life. Their music wasn't my cup of tea at the time. But the women in my life beg to differ. I've had to sit through those god awful films (Julie Walters, Cher etc) more than once. A part of the world will care very much.

Edit: Mama Mia is the film, on the off chance someone with a fondness for 70's euro-campness and saccharine rom coms has somehow missed it.

The third movie has signed off and will start filming next year. My 10 yo daughter and her friends have watched those movies countless times. The stage show has also been highly popular, it's currently the 7th longest running West End musical and the ninth longest running show in Broadway history.

ABBA still has a place, more so than most of there 1970's contemporaries, Led Zepplin who??

Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm

casinterest wrote:
Will anyone take a chance on them?

Take it nice and slow…..
Does your mother know?

M564038

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:14 pm

I don’t! I do know a thing or two about bands, though.
They were spectacularly talented, surrounded themselves with the greatest musicians and technical personell. Rutger Gunnarson! Michael Tretow! They had an amazing, very characteristic and unique sound and groove. They were innovative with technology and arrangements and even harmony and song progressions.
johns624 wrote:
M564038 wrote:
one of the greatest band ever!
Just say NO to drugs...

M564038

Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:36 pm

Btw. If anyone here is slightly interested in music technology, here is a great and hillarious interview with the master himself from back in the day! Seems like a fantastic guy!
https://abbamikory.blogs.com/abbamikory ... -1980.html

zkojq

Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:11 pm

My my, just how much I've missed ya :bouncy:

chimborazo

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 pm

johns624 wrote:

And yet part of the world was inspired enough to comment on it… :-)

Certain ABBA songs give me warm nostalgic feelings of early life where I cannot remember the particular situations but I can associate that music with feeling good.

Have always enjoyed ABBA so went to see the show with my gf and was severely disappointed at how horrendous it was- she was debating leaving at half time but stuck with it. A forced story to try and fit around the songs and some truly atrocious singing. It was utter shite.

That doesn’t spoil hearing a great ABBA song coming on the radio though.

I fact I (a mid-forties guy who enjoys rock music) am going to listen to ABBA now.

johns624

Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:53 pm

I saw Gordon Lightfoot about 15 years ago. That's when I realized that "oldies" acts were just "old" acts now. They've lost it but still need the fame, money or adoration (or all 3) and just can't let it go.

sierrakilo44

Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:30 am

johns624 wrote:
Just say NO to drugs...

Has there ever been any good music created or written by someone not under the influence of a substance?

Even Mozart loved to drink bottles of Champagne whilst composing.

johns624

Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:44 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Just say NO to drugs...

Has there ever been any good music created or written by someone not under the influence of a substance?

Even Mozart loved to drink bottles of Champagne whilst composing.
Alice Cooper went downhill when he dried up.

Kiwirob

Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:56 am

johns624 wrote:
I saw Gordon Lightfoot about 15 years ago. That's when I realized that "oldies" acts were just "old" acts now. They've lost it but still need the fame, money or adoration (or all 3) and just can't let it go.

Ditto for the Rolling Stones, they were shit. On the other hand I took my son to see KISS 2 years ago, they were really good, I didn't expect that, it was a real surprise.

stratosphere

Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:10 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Ditto for the Rolling Stones, they were shit. On the other hand I took my son to see KISS 2 years ago, they were really good, I didn't expect that, it was a real surprise.

I was a huge ABBA fan still am..But I am not a big fan of reunion tours of any group when they are in their 70's. Sometimes just have to hang it up and hang on to the memories.

Ken777

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:14 am

The last half of the 20th Century saw a lot of great, very creative music - be it in Rock, Jazz, Broadway, etc. ABBA was simply one of the greats in their own niche. The fact that they can come out with another album indicates the talent of their song writing. For getting the costumes, they were some pretty good performers - you can see that by how happy/satisfied their fans were - especially at performances.

This new video os basically a major, international promotion for their new album. Personally I wouldn't under estimate the strength of the video and the number of fans that will be buying it. If the Big C doesn't get me I'll probably be in that group.

ABBA apparently gained popularity after they had a tour of Australia.

Like The Wiggles who gained world fame after starting in Australia. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

NIKV69

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:44 am

Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Ditto for the Rolling Stones, they were shit.

You crazy they are one of the best bands!

johns624

Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:

They were one of the best bands.

Kiwirob

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:04 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
johns624 wrote:

40 years ago now they’re just 3 old dudes on stage going through the motions. I hope with Charlie’s death they call it quits.

Kent350787

Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:26 am

Ken777 wrote:
The last half of the 20th Century saw a lot of great, very creative music - be it in Rock, Jazz, Broadway, etc. ABBA was simply one of the greats in their own niche. The fact that they can come out with another album indicates the talent of their song writing. For getting the costumes, they were some pretty good performers - you can see that by how happy/satisfied their fans were - especially at performances.

This new video os basically a major, international promotion for their new album. Personally I wouldn't under estimate the strength of the video and the number of fans that will be buying it. If the Big C doesn't get me I'll probably be in that group.

ABBA apparently gained popularity after they had a tour of Australia.

Like The Wiggles who gained world fame after starting in Australia. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

There have been strong suggestions that Ian (Molly) Meldrum's call for videos to promote the songs on Countdown (the Aussie music program) is what started them building worldwide. I wanted to go to the Sydney concerts (which were outdoors in the pouring rain) but not a thing for my parents (I was a tween).

I've heard one of the songs and thought it could have come fomr any of their older periods, with some very dated arrangements. But good luck to them and the avatars seem fun.

As for the Wiggles, please no, not ever again. I still see the original red Wiggle, Murray Cook, at gigs - they originally came from a mod type of pop-rock band. But they are now stage performers rather than a band.

melpax

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 am

Kent350787 wrote:

There have been strong suggestions that Ian (Molly) Meldrum's call for videos to promote the songs on Countdown (the Aussie music program) is what started them building worldwide. I wanted to go to the Sydney concerts (which were outdoors in the pouring rain) but not a thing for my parents (I was a tween).

Countdown was also one of the first shows to show music clips of overseas acts who were unable to perform on the show. As well as Abba, Molly also played a big part in Madonna becoming as popular as she was, she charted in Australia before becoming big in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown ... TV_program)

This is some of the madness that was shown - it was the 70's! If this was shown in a similar timeslot today (early Sunday evening), heads would be rolling....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czvCqcl2AIU

Kent350787

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:43 am

melpax wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Countdown was also one of the first shows to show music clips of overseas acts who were unable to perform on the show. As well as Abba, Molly also played a big part in Madonna becoming as popular as she was, she charted in Australia before becoming big in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown ... TV_program)

This is some of the madness that was shown - it was the 70's! If this was shown in a similar timeslot today (early Sunday evening), heads would be rolling....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czvCqcl2AIU

There's hardly an episode of Countdown that I missed. I used to work with a woman who had been one of the teens in the audience in the mid-70s. Apprently those Saturday afternoons filming were pretty crazy.

Some of the earliest 7" vinyl I bought were ABBA, and they are as ingrained into my psyche as much as any Aussie over 40yo.

Ken777

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:31 am

Kent350787 wrote:

As for the Wiggles, please no, not ever again. I still see the original red Wiggle, Murray Cook, at gigs - they originally came from a mod type of pop-rock band. But they are now stage performers rather than a band.

The Wiggles were successful because they did a great job of attracting young kids - like from 2 or 3 upward. By granddaughter was in that group and we had the videos for whenever she came over. I even went to their warehouse on a business trip to Sydney and bought Dorthy's hat and tail, which she loved.

When her younger brother came long he joined her in front of the TV singing way. They continued following them for years and, if I were to put on one of their DVDs these days they might even sit and watch them - a bt. In these days when CSAM is a major topic on Apple sites it's almost refreshing to think of The Wiggles, and the innocence they brought to childhood.

But, that's a grandfather with 20 years of "Poppa" experience talking. :yes:

Kent350787

Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:44 am

Ken777 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

The Wiggles were successful because they did a great job of attracting young kids - like from 2 or 3 upward. By granddaughter was in that group and we had the videos for whenever she came over. I even went to their warehouse on a business trip to Sydney and bought Dorthy's hat and tail, which she loved.

When her younger brother came long he joined her in front of the TV singing way. They continued following them for years and, if I were to put on one of their DVDs these days they might even sit and watch them - a bt. In these days when CSAM is a major topic on Apple sites it's almost refreshing to think of The Wiggles, and the innocence they brought to childhood.

But, that's a grandfather with 20 years of "Poppa" experience talking. :yes:

I think I first watched them with my niece around 25 years ago. I'd seeen the band that a number of the originals were in multiple times in the mid-80s. My kids are 13 and 18 and we still have Wiggles VHS and DVD, and have done the Wiggles exhibition at Sydney's Powerhouse museum a few times over the years. I remember a road trip where "Hot Potato" was the only thing that would stop the 6 then 6 month old screaming.

I fully support the thinking behind the latest update to maintain relevance - it is the Field family business - but it really comes across as a commercial machine (and extremely cloying). Give me Playschool any day!