Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NIKV69

Re: VP Harris to California to campaign for Gavin Newsom

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
Interesting how righties shift from "LIBERAL HOLYWOOD ELITE MEDIA TELLING US WHAT TO DO!!!!" to "oh, look at this well thought out and reasoned person expressing a rational opinion". When did it become offensive for Americans to have an opinion that goes against your own? My guess is: since the removal of the Fairness Doctrine.

For the millionth time I am not a "rightite" so I wish you would stop referring to me as such and for any member of the forum for that matter. Second, the rest of your post has nothing to do with what I posted and is more identity politics and derailment. The way the recall has gone for Newsom should be noted for even if he survives this it shows some of the dynamics in CA shifting. Did you even watch her speech in the link I provided? A rhetorical question for sure.

seb146

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:32 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Interesting how righties shift from "LIBERAL HOLYWOOD ELITE MEDIA TELLING US WHAT TO DO!!!!" to "oh, look at this well thought out and reasoned person expressing a rational opinion". When did it become offensive for Americans to have an opinion that goes against your own? My guess is: since the removal of the Fairness Doctrine.

For the millionth time I am not a "rightite" so I wish you would stop referring to me as such and for any member of the forum for that matter. Second, the rest of your post has nothing to do with what I posted and is more identity politics and derailment. The way the recall has gone for Newsom should be noted for even if he survives this it shows some of the dynamics in CA shifting. Did you even watch her speech in the link I provided? A rhetorical question for sure.

I was making a general observation but if the shoe fits. I mean, you do align with right wing posters a lot. Like a lot. But, again, I was simply making a general observation...

bpatus297

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I was making a general observation but if the shoe fits. I mean, you do align with right wing posters a lot. Like a lot. But, again, I was simply making a general observation...

'You label anyone who doesnt agree with you right wing. Some people actually have centrist views, or some right and some left, like myself. Oh the horror!

FGITD

Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Thing is, it gets hard to believe someone’s political leaning when damn every single post on the subject is continually putting down one side, while simultaneously almost always praising the other. And don’t even bring up Manchin. Praising the opposing politicians who side with your preferred party on almost every occasion is hardly “centrist”

If I spend all day talking about how great I think peanut butter is, even though i don’t love smooth PB, and then spend the next day talking about how jam/jelly is an abomination against God and is awful under all circumstance, are you going to come away thinking “that guy must love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches “

Not the best analogy but truth be told I’m eating a pb and j while typing. A true bipartisan sandwich.

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 pm

casinterest wrote:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-california-recall-election/

Elder will need a miracle to win, but don't count him out.

At the same time, as Enten wrote over the weekend, there have been only four gubernatorial races since 1998 (out of 243) where the polling average missed by 15 points or more.

Overall, our assessment is that Newsom is a clear favorite to prevail. While an upset wouldn’t be unprecedented, it would qualify as a historically large polling miss.

My suspicion is that Texas laws, and Elder's own statements have probably drastically increased turnout. I doubt the Recall succeeds.

The most important factor is for people to actually vote. Brexit only happened because enough people thought that was too stupid to succeed that it... actually did. Ditto 45 being elected in '16. One likes to think that we have learned the appropriate lessons, but the unfortunate reality is that the rest of us must now remain vigilant against their tomfoolery lest it become a problem we all have to live with.

NIKV69

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:50 pm

seb146 wrote:

I was making a general observation..

Yes I know but it doesn't help the discussion. Either way a big day for CA tomorrow but I fear they will keep Newsom and further doom their fate.

SL1200MK2

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Yes I know but it doesn't help the discussion. Either way a big day for CA tomorrow but I fear they will keep Newsom and further doom their fate.

So you’re saying you are left leaning?

seb146

Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:58 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

California has been one of the largest economies in the world for how long, even under The Governator, but they are "doomed"? Okay......

As with Oregon, Newsom is not the best. Literally no politician is the best. None. Elder wants no minimum wage but does not want to help people out with student loans, health care, and housing. At least Democrats try. Not well, but they try.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:07 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

CA remains the world's 5th largest economy regardless of who the governor is.

Aaron747

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:37 am

There are some absolute nutcases backing Elder. Who let the dogs out on this evangelical?

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/stat ... 58083?s=21

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:02 am

Aaron747 wrote:
There are some absolute nutcases backing Elder. Who let the dogs out on this evangelical?

Their are nut cases that back Newsom. What's you Point???

Aaron747

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:07 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Same point I have made throughout the thread - he is not a credible candidate for California's center. The GOP could have won this if they had run someone moderate like former SD mayor Faulconer.

CA homeowners certainly don't feel Newsom has been bad for them - the 10 year return on home appreciation in SF is 92%, 87% in San Diego, and 46% in metro LA.

https://www.noradarealestate.com/blog/c ... ng-market/

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/01/how-muc ... h-now.html

stl07

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Trust me, none of us want Newsom. We just don't want Elder. And if Newsom is what we have to endure, then it is unfortunately the best we can get

seb146

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:00 am

stl07 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Trust me, none of us want Newsom. We just don't want Elder. And if Newsom is what we have to endure, then it is unfortunately the best we can get

Since it has been a choice between Newsom and who can out MAGA the MAGAs, Newsom will win. We have all seen how disrespectful to the Constitution and rule of law MAGAs are and how much they hate voting and rights and freedoms. Newsom will have to run for reelection soon enough. This whole recall is simply a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Funny, isn't it? Republicans whine and complain about "liberals" wasting money and, as always, Republicans are the one wasting taxpayer dollars!

NIKV69

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:

So you’re saying you are left leaning?

I was pretty aligned with Andrew Cuomo without the groping. I am mostly socially Liberal and fiscally conservative but again once you feel we should be allowed to own a gun that brands you a "rightie"

seb146 wrote:

California has been one of the largest economies in the world for how long, even under The Governator, but they are "doomed"? Okay......

As with Oregon, Newsom is not the best. Literally no politician is the best. None. Elder wants no minimum wage but does not want to help people out with student loans, health care, and housing. At least Democrats try. Not well, but they try.

So what if its a big economy? There is no middle class left.

stl07 wrote:

Hey I am a Faulconer supporter and can't believe that Elder is ruining this. It's a shame.

casinterest

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm

And Elder, the Trump clone, is taking another page out of the "if you can't beat them, lie about it book".
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/politics ... index.html

Larry Elder, the leading Republican candidate in Tuesday night's California gubernatorial recall election, is asking supporters to fill out an online form to report alleged fraud, noting that "statistical analyses used to detect fraud in elections held in 3rd-world nations (such as Russia, Venezuela, and Iran) have detected fraud in California resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor."

The only problem? The election hasn't happened yet.

Why again should the people of California replace a known candidate that has personal issues, with a Candidate that is mentally disconnected from reality.?

AirWorthy99

Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Very unfortunate if Newsom isn't recalled, but hey people get the government they deserve. I think the fearmongering has been incredible against Elder, that they have managed to make this recall election a contest Newsom v Elder when it really isn't.

Elder should have said he supports minimum wage set to $100 an hour. Probably he would have won.

casinterest

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:01 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
Very unfortunate if Newsom isn't recalled, but hey people get the government they deserve. I think the fearmongering has been incredible against Elder, that they have managed to make this recall election a contest Newsom v Elder when it really isn't.

Elder should have said he supports minimum wage set to $100 an hour. Probably he would have won.

If another candidate was honorable enough, they would win. Alas the GOP picked someone that could lie and denigrate the USA just as well as Trump.

AirWorthy99

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

If another candidate was honorable enough, they would win. Alas the GOP picked someone that could lie and denigrate the USA just as well as Trump.

Wrong. The GOP hasn't picked anyone. There are multiple GOP candidates there. The polls said Elder was ahead, they used the polls to put fearmongering against Elder and him winning. Thus Newsom is going to win because of this manipulation.

casinterest

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:10 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

Wrong. The GOP hasn't picked anyone. There are multiple GOP candidates there. The polls said Elder was ahead, they used the polls to put fearmongering against Elder and him winning. Thus Newsom is going to win because of this manipulation.

The polls said Elder was ahead?? no. The people taking the polls said that.

Are the GOP voters independent, or slaves to the media?

Tugger

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:18 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
So what if its a big economy? There is no middle class left.

While not arguing per se, (our middle class makes up less than half of the population) I will note that there is a solid middle class in Cali, just a lot higher dollar than what most consider it.
https://www.businessinsider.com/states- ... ass-2019-4

9. California: 43.1% of households are middle income. The state's median household income of $71,805 was much higher than the national median.

And of course regarding what income it takes to be "middle class" in CA is kinda all over the place, completely dependent on where you live (which is of course true across the nation as a whole). Gotta love how "middle class" can range from mid $50k to $260k!
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/us/w ... ornia.html

NIKV69 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Hey I am a Faulconer supporter and can't believe that Elder is ruining this. It's a shame.

That is why I wish the moron Elder hadn't gotten involved, he really crated any chance the sate had to get a good California Republican in the Governors seat to at least somewhat limit the craziness that can come from our legislature.

I am not a huge Faulkner fan, but he could have done some good and could have had a chance. Instead we have morons that push a "national Republican demagogue" that is far from wha5t many California Republican's support, sending the recall down the drain. Of course the talk show hosts love it, it gives them their screeching points for the next year to feed their ragey listener base.

Tugg

Aaron747

Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:59 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Nothing unfortunate about it. We are not satisfied with him on several points but that doesn’t mean we’ll instead take a drastic paradigm shift candidate who has shitty views out of step with our population. That would be like having a couple bad steaks and switching to spam. Nonsensical.

apodino

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:20 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
AirWorthy99 wrote:

This is only partly true. What the polls said was that it was roughly fifty/fifty on the recall question. On the second question, which is who would replace Newsome, Elder only had 24 percent of the vote, but it was more than double the second closest candidate. There was no false narrative here. Even though Elder only has 24 percent of the vote, because the second question is first past the post and not ranked choice or something like that, that would mean that if question one passed, Elder would be elected even though more people would have chosen to keep Newsom than vote for Elder. And it appears to me that when Elder got in, almost all the conservative support flocked to him immediately. This allowed Newsom to fearmonger, and it also fired up the liberal base in California. This was not the media, this was the republicans making a big tactical blunder. Now not only will it mean that Newsom will survive, it will also give him a ton of political capital, which is the last thing the CA GOP should be doing,

Aesma

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:28 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Are the nutcases invited to speak at his rallies, too ?

seb146

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:20 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
Good job leading (in many cases) the nation I guess.
And you lack water.
I wonder what it will take for people to wake up over there.

Water issues in California are not new and they are not a "liberal" thing, either. This has been going on for years and years and years. California voters are not "one issue" voters. Yes, they want to see fixes to the water problems as well as fixes to the fire dangers as well as fixes to the electrical grid as well as fixes to the homeless issues as well as......

PixelPilot

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
And you lack water.

Water issues in California are not new and they are not a "liberal" thing, either. This has been going on for years and years and years. California voters are not "one issue" voters. Yes, they want to see fixes to the water problems as well as fixes to the fire dangers as well as fixes to the electrical grid as well as fixes to the homeless issues as well as......

Statistically, are those numbers getting smaller or bigger?

seb146

Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:32 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
And you lack water.

I think the bigger question is: what is stopping Democrats from making these things happen? One of the biggest reasons is NIMBYs. Nobody wants a homeless camp in their neighborhood but we can't do anything about moving the homeless to a central location where they have access to shelter and medical facilities and safety. Nobody wants a dam in their back yard and be forced to leave when the water fills the valley so it can't be built. Nobody wants to pay higher utility rates to upgrade the grid but something needs to be done. Of course things are getting more and more. The climate is changing. We need food to feed the more people across the country, not just in California.

Maybe let California govern California...

PixelPilot

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 pm

seb146 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I think the bigger question is: what is stopping Democrats from making these things happen? One of the biggest reasons is NIMBYs. Nobody wants a homeless camp in their neighborhood but we can't do anything about moving the homeless to a central location where they have access to shelter and medical facilities and safety. Nobody wants a dam in their back yard and be forced to leave when the water fills the valley so it can't be built. Nobody wants to pay higher utility rates to upgrade the grid but something needs to be done. Of course things are getting more and more. The climate is changing. We need food to feed the more people across the country, not just in California.

Maybe let California govern California...

California is governing California and numbers are not favorable. Nth largest economy is nothing if you are the highest in many negative social aspects. Unless... that's ok as long it's NIMBY (eyes wide closed to what is happening to the state or less wealthy parts) which seems to be California motto. Super rich proxy puppets with big social followers and corporate outreach seem to love schooling other states how they should behave or think or act. How do you call people that act like that?

stl07

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:28 pm

PixelPilot wrote:

How the heck does water issues have anything to do with party? It's a desert state, and AZ has many of the same issues, yet they vote red. If you live in the desert, you have water issues

PixelPilot

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 pm

stl07 wrote:
PixelPilot wrote:

How the heck does water issues have anything to do with party? It's a desert state, and AZ has many of the same issues, yet they vote red. If you live in the desert, you have water issues

I had no idea California is a desert or that the Pacific Ocean is not a water body...
If you want to be precise only 25% of California can be considered a desert.
BUT if your economy is so Nth largest why no proper investment to fight/prevent water problems?

Newark727

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:57 pm

California and Texas really aren't that different, when you get right down to it. Large populations, diversified economies that eclipse many independent nations in their own right, some of the U.S.' largest cities. There's a lot of issues facing both states that are strikingly similar - growing costs of living, increasing economic divergence between rural and urban areas, climate change placing new strain on public infrastructure.

But because of their increasing reliance on culture-war issues to turn out voters, the conservative movement has devoted enormous energy to portraying one as a success and the other as a failure. Just look at PixelPilot's giant list of things California is the worst at. It's hard to believe that Republicans nationally aren't rooting California to lose. Their electoral strategy for every other state has been that California a negative example; so they need it to be a negative example to win; and they really want to win. The consequences of that for the GOP within the state are entirely predictable.

Tugger

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:51 pm

PixelPilot wrote:
California is governing California and numbers are not favorable. Nth largest economy is nothing if you are the highest in many negative social aspects. Unless... that's ok as long it's NIMBY (eyes wide closed to what is happening to the state or less wealthy parts) which seems to be California motto. Super rich proxy puppets with big social followers and corporate outreach seem to love schooling other states how they should behave or think or act. How do you call people that act like that?

As I tell my relatives, California will take of itself and be just fine. We drive more wealth and capital into the USA than almost any other state. We pay more out to the federal government than we take in, and that is impressive when you think how much military and federal units are in the state.

Please feel free to question and not approve of California as a state, and it is perfectly OK if you and others do not want to come here. We are OK with that! So many more do! We are diverse and dynamic, with a large diverse economy that allows for movement across the gamut for people that do live here. Sure people get stuck "where they are" but that is the exact same for every other state... and those others depend on infusions of federal tax money to cover those people.

We have the problems of a big successful state. We could use a more diverse legislature and lower taxes but we will be just fine.

Tugg

Aaron747

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 am

PixelPilot wrote:

There is no need to 'wake up' here - any Californian is well aware of what challenges the state has environmentally and in terms of specific economic issues like public pensions and housing.

Would just like to point out many of the things you cited w/links are meaningless without context:

1. Yes, CA is the *numerical* leader in bankruptcy filings, but that's to be expected in the state with the most SMBs. There are 4.1 million small businesses in CA, and that's more than the total populations of 22 states.

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/make-mo ... usinesses/

2. Yes the violent crime rate went up last year, but that is relative to trends in recent years and is still far below the peaks of the early 1980s and 1990s. And it's not a partisan thing either - as the former was under a Dem governor, and the latter under successive GOP governors.

Image source: PPIC

3. The business 'exodus' has been talked about for years but is mostly pushed by political media trying to maintain a narrative. The CA economy is large and complex, there will always be shifts in who is departing and arriving. That is nothing new really. As costs have risen, so has the price for not having a good business plan or for the individual, marketable skills.

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/28/w ... -creation/

Particularly during the pandemic there was much media attention on departures by Elon Musk and Peter Thiel. But that only reflects that some of the companies leaving do so because their executives want to benefit personally from lower taxation. What you didn't see much media attention on is that venture funding has increased in Silicon Valley since 2020 relative to the rest of the country. For anyone starting an innovation business, we are still the place to be.

Venture capital had a record year in 2020, and the lion’s share of investments remained in California. That pattern continues into this year: Of the $69 billion that US-based venture funds invested in startups in the first quarter of 2021, more than $25 billion—over a third—landed in Silicon Valley and the Bay Area, according to the latest Pitchbook data. That amount is greater than the next three cities—New York, Boston, and Los Angeles—combined, and more than 30 times the investments in cities like Austin...

...So far in 2021, California startups continue to collect the biggest investments. Of the largest 25 early-stage deals in Pitchbook’s Q1 data set, 12 were completed in the state. Of the 10 biggest deals, half were based in California. And the size of these deals are getting bigger and bigger. In the first few months of 2021, there were three times as many “mega-rounds,” or rounds over $100 million, as the same quarter last year.

https://www.wired.com/story/silicon-val ... e-capital/

4. As for homelessness there is a whole thread on that. I would just say that CA is a place where the effects of capitalism are strong, good and bad. Capitalism is great for those who keep up, and it's terrible for those who are left behind. Homelessness has been a significant part of American life since the 1930s, and has either party solved it? No. This reflects our culture as a country more than anything. We are primarily a culture of 'looking out for #1' - people see problems like the homeless, but they think 'that's not mine to fix' or 'that's what churches are for'. Enough people think that way and the tumor can really grow. We have never reconciled this mindset in the face of capitalism.

Newark727

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:17 am

News sources now beginning to call race for Newsom.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-do ... _medium=AP

Aaron747

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 am

Newark727 wrote:

Recall never had a chance in hell. The state GOP so concerned about small business closures and the homeless just flushed $300m down the drain.

cpd

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:13 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Recall never had a chance in hell. The state GOP so concerned about small business closures and the homeless just flushed $300m down the drain.

I guess that's what you call MAGA? $300m is an enormous amount of money.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:15 am

That's a real gut punch...

This is how I feel tonight:

California, you're nothing to me now. You're not a fellow, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do.

Aaron747

Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:18 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

California, you're nothing to me now. You're not a fellow, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do.

It shouldn't be - there was absolutely no basis for believing recall would succeed, especially with the regular gubernatorial election 13.5 months away. Perhaps your sources of information were unreliable?

And you can't ignore us - we're 15% of USA GDP. If you want a list of CA companies to boycott, try here:

https://www.zippia.com/advice/biggest-c ... alifornia/

Hope you never shop at Ross or use PayPal. Hope your ISP isn't setup on Cisco and there's no Western Digital HDD in your PC. Hope you never go to a Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle or Taco Bell :lol:

luckyone

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

It shouldn't be - there was absolutely no basis for believing recall would succeed, especially with the regular gubernatorial election 13.5 months away. Perhaps your sources of information were unreliable?

And you can't ignore us - we're 15% of USA GDP. If you want a list of CA companies to boycott, try here:

https://www.zippia.com/advice/biggest-c ... alifornia/

Hope you never shop at Ross or use PayPal. Hope your ISP isn't setup on Cisco and there's no Western Digital HDD in your PC. Hope you never go to a Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle or Taco Bell :lol:

Histrionics aside, hopefully somebody smart at GOP is paying attention to the chuckleheads they’re putting up for these things, and just how much longevity a Trump-style candidate is going to provide. Unless of course winning isn’t the point…

Aesma

Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:43 pm

You're fortunate many in the GOP (and not just the voters) aren't that smart or they would control all branches of government and most states indefinitely.

seb146

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Aesma wrote:
You're fortunate many in the GOP (and not just the voters) aren't that smart or they would control all branches of government and most states indefinitely.

Like they will in Georgia?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 133587002/

The REPUBLICAN Secretary Of State in Georgia can decide if elections are free and fair. So, Georgia is Republican now and forever because Republicans seem to love democracy and fairness so much...

casinterest

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:26 pm

A rather bad beat by the California GOP. They did not read the room very well, and launched an expensive recall effort that resulted in a rather humiliating loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Cali ... l_election

In 2018 Newsome won with 61.95% of the overall vote. over the GOP Candidate with 38.05% of the vote.

The current recall vote with ~68% counted shows Newsome up 63. to 36.1%.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ecall.html
If those numbers hold or go wider, the GOP is going to have to really look at their messaging going forward.

Even if the numbers Narrow, it still shows that the GOP failed to understand what the voters really wanted.

wingman

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:34 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

And yet here you are cavorting on a forum expressing yourself freely and very likely dependent on many technologies and services conceived, built and managed by California-based based people and companies. It's odd how much some people in this country hate the results of free and fair elections. It's now a thing with the GOP and the adherents of its new tenet of democracy-destroying, authoritarian control. You sound like you're writing from Pyongyang using a masked server (and I bet there are STILL bits of California in your set-up!).

Newark727

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

No, you don't get to say that. We're Americans too, our votes count just as much as yours, we pay American taxes, go to American schools, work American jobs. If your worldview requires defining half the United States as socialist space aliens rather than your own countrymen, you need a new worldview.

Dieuwer

Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 pm

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

Newsom has won the recall.
Now it is time for him to celebrate and invite his wealthy oligarch donors to a lavish dinner at French Laundry. :D

DocLightning

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:16 pm

casinterest wrote:
In 2018 Newsome won with 61.95% of the overall vote. over the GOP Candidate with 38.05% of the vote.

If those numbers hold or go wider, the GOP is going to have to really look at their messaging going forward.

Even if the numbers Narrow, it still shows that the GOP failed to understand what the voters really wanted.

I also think that this was by far more a repudiation of the GOP than it was a vote of confidence for Mr. Newsom. I've been disappointed and frustrated with him as a governor, but I would rather a governor who is more competent and honest, not less.

casinterest

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:20 pm

DocLightning wrote:
casinterest wrote:

I also think that this was by far more a repudiation of the GOP than it was a vote of confidence for Mr. Newsom. I've been disappointed and frustrated with him as a governor, but I would rather a governor who is more competent and honest, not less.

True, and the GOP messaging that Elder brought appeals to a loud a vocal minority, but it seems that minority may in fact be shrinking.

Everyone in the GOP thought this could be like 2003, but Schwarzenegger had charisma, and tried to rule from the center with democratic appointments and policies. Not always successful, but he knew where he was. The current GOP that brought this recall, brought the right wing extreme, and it isn't palatable for most Americans anymore.

NIKV69

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:33 pm

DocLightning wrote:

Then you should have supported Faulconer he fits your description. If he got more people on board and polled better than Elder things could have been different.

Tugger

Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:59 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Then you should have supported Faulconer he fits your description. If he got more people on board and polled better than Elder things could have been different.

It appears some (many?) Republican's do not understand or acknowledge that they are divided as a party (as divided as the Dems I think). They started the recall and successfully got it implemented only to not be able to produce a cohesive message (other than "Newsome bad!") or candidate. One of the guys that I think started and really pushed the recall, hated Faulkner and was unable to support him. Then when Elder came into the race, this guy went all in with him. This guy, a political shill and Trump fanatic who only works to increase the attention on himself, is endemic of the Republican party and the dumbness of it in California.

As I have noted clearly, I do not want or support Trumplican's or the more fanatical Republican elements. Keep a lid on taxes, make sure we are paying for what we do and that everyone has "skin in the game", reduce bloat legislation on business, but get out of social engineering or accept the way California is. Elder wanted wholesale changes and promised such. Stop and get out of the way. Let the more moderate Republican's do their work in California.

Tugg