Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc10lover
Topic Author

The Best Setting For A Window Air Conditioner Is Actually Medium Cool / Medium Fan Speed

Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:19 pm

The air flows slower over the cooling coils and blows really cold air plus medium cool/medium fan speed also gets rid of all of the humidity in the house. Try it. You will see it really works well.

1337Delta764

Re: The Best Setting For A Window Air Conditioner Is Actually Medium Cool / Medium Fan Speed

Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:12 pm

We have a zoned central AC system, and my comfortable sleeping temperature is 79.

scbriml

Re: The Best Setting For A Window Air Conditioner Is Actually Medium Cool / Medium Fan Speed

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:23 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
We have a zoned central AC system, and my comfortable sleeping temperature is 79.

79F for sleeping? Is that a typo - it's not good for you. We don't even set our thermostat above 20C (68F) in the depths of winter.

https://www.nwphysicians.com/what-s-the ... for-sleep/
Looking at the available research, most studies agree that a temperature between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal for sleeping, with temperatures above 75 degrees and below 54 degrees disruptive to sleep.

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:54 pm

I guess it is a personal thing, if you live in a tropical location and are used to hot temps all your life perhap 79 is okay for you. I prefer sleeping within a 60-65f range, hence the bedsheets.

1337Delta764

Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:58 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
I guess it is a personal thing, if you live in a tropical location and are used to hot temps all your life perhap 79 is okay for you. I prefer sleeping within a 60-65f range, hence the bedsheets.

We live in Arizona, and if we set our AC to 67 then our electric bills will go sky high and could potentially damage our HVAC equipment.

vikkyvik

Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:58 pm

dc10lover wrote:
The Best Setting For A Window Air Conditioner Is Actually Medium Cool / Medium Fan Speed

I've often wondered about that, though the answer doesn't surprise me. I've always assumed that a high fan speed will not cool the air as much (though I still use it sometimes).

That said, is this based on a study, or personal experience?

1337Delta764 wrote:

Holy crap, I would be melting.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:00 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

We live in Arizona, and if we set our AC to 67 then our electric bills will go sky high and could potentially damage our HVAC equipment.

Surely there is HVAC equipment designed for warmer climates?

Francoflier

Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:25 pm

scbriml wrote:

79F for sleeping? Is that a typo - it's not good for you. We don't even set our thermostat above 20C (68F) in the depths of winter.

Looking at the available research, most studies agree that a temperature between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal for sleeping, with temperatures above 75 degrees and below 54 degrees disruptive to sleep.

You obviously don't live in a tropical country or in a desert somewhere... ;)

I find 75 to 77F (24 to 25C) to be quite comfortable for sleeping. The important thing is mostly to decrease the humidity in hot and humid regions.

Kiwirob wrote:

The main culprit in most cases is not the A/C system but the insulation of the accommodation.
In warmer climates, the temperature differential required to keep very cool temperatures inside is such that the level of thermal insulation required to achieve it without a massively oversized A/C system is rarely achieved in most people's home, especially in warm areas where houses tend to be well ventilated with large windows, or simply lack adequate construction standards and codes.
Bad insulation means the A/C compressor runs continuously, leading to greatly reduced life for the unit (not to mention the energy consumption).

A better approach is to lower the temperature delta to about a handful of degrees (C), which still feels comfortable, as long as it's dry enough.

As for the OP's premise, it seems very empirical... There are so many variables at play, such as outdoor temperature, target temperature, volume of the room, insulation of the room, power of the unit, etc. What works in one case may well not work in other cases.

Tugger

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

I believe they are talking keeping the temp DOWN to a max of 79 and not UP to 79. (Your post notes "in the depths of winter" which makes me think you are viewing it that way.)

I will note in my home in SoCal I keep our thermostat temp range at 70-76 (for heat no warmer than 70 - for AC no cooler than 76). I know a lot of people that like to keep their AC well below 70, so it is too each their own. (There are some humid night that I will crank the temp down to 72 to allow a comfortable start to our sleep.)

And I will note that will have to wait and see what I do once I have solar installed as it definitely changes the equation.
Tugg

Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

"Basement"?
Personally, I think that homes are designed completely wrong these days. Kitchens in the wrong place, bedrooms in the wrong place, etc.
For optimal cool air flow, bedrooms should preferably be in the basement where it is cool(er). Even in Arizona you can built homes with basements. Added benefit is you don't need windows.
Kitchens should really be at the top of the house as hot air can immediately escape and not be trapped in the main body of the house. Same goes for the shower/bathroom.
The living room can stay where it is at.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

"Basement"?
Personally, I think that homes are designed completely wrong these days. Kitchens in the wrong place, bedrooms in the wrong place, etc.
For optimal cool air flow, bedrooms should preferably be in the basement where it is cool(er). Even in Arizona you can built homes with basements. Added benefit is you don't need windows.
Kitchens should really be at the top of the house as hot air can immediately escape and not be trapped in the main body of the house. Same goes for the shower/bathroom.
The living room can stay where it is at.

When child no. 3 arrived my wife and I moved to a bedroom in our basement, best move ever, I prefer a cold bedroom to a warm one.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Small job but once a year, look in back of the air conditioner and make sure the little vents are clear of any dust buildup.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:39 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

I've often wondered about that, though the answer doesn't surprise me. I've always assumed that a high fan speed will not cool the air as much (though I still use it sometimes).

That said, is this based on a study, or personal experience?

A personal study. Medium Cool just works the best to stay cool in the home and for getting all the humidity out of the home even though it may be humid outside.

LCDFlight

Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:03 pm

79 in Arizona is fine. Remember, it's zero humidity..

LabQuest

Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:47 am

I have central air and keep it about 73 during the day and 67 at night.